OR OR - Fauna Frey, 45, Grants Pass, 29 Jun 2020

The Help Find Fauna Frey facebook group is indeed now set to private. We can no longer discuss what is posted or commented on there.

I expect that her friends and family felt the need to make this group private for some reason, but it is a bit of a bummer for those of us emotionally invested sleuths who aren't in the group/do not use social media.

Every time I see movement in this thread, I feel a brief shimmer of hope. Now it seems that this thread will only stand to gather cobwebs, until LE or someone close to Fauna releases info to the public. MOO.

DEC 5, 2021
Eight years of Dateline's Missing in America: 169 still missing (nbcnews.com)
[...]

Fauna Frey had been temporarily living in Dexter, Oregon, with her father and brother when she vanished on June 29, 2020. The 45-year-old was last seen leaving the Super 8 hotel in Grants Pass, Oregon, between 8:30 and 9 a.m. on June 29, 2020.

Fauna had made a reservation at the Weasku Inn in Grants Pass, but never showed up. The inn charged her credit card since she never canceled her reservation. This was the last activity on any of her accounts.

Josephine County Sheriff Dave Daniel said potential sightings have not panned out and that there has also been no trace of Fauna’s car. Investigators are asking the community to be on the lookout for her dark blue Jeep Grand Cherokee with the Oregon license plate 339EYB.

[...]

DEC 5, 2021
Eight years of Dateline's Missing in America: 169 still missing (nbcnews.com)
[...]

Fauna Frey had been temporarily living in Dexter, Oregon, with her father and brother when she vanished on June 29, 2020. The 45-year-old was last seen leaving the Super 8 hotel in Grants Pass, Oregon, between 8:30 and 9 a.m. on June 29, 2020.

Fauna had made a reservation at the Weasku Inn in Grants Pass, but never showed up. The inn charged her credit card since she never canceled her reservation. This was the last activity on any of her accounts.

Josephine County Sheriff Dave Daniel said potential sightings have not panned out and that there has also been no trace of Fauna’s car. Investigators are asking the community to be on the lookout for her dark blue Jeep Grand Cherokee with the Oregon license plate 339EYB.

[...]

I read in earlier posts that the Cherokee had been found, so this article got that wrong.

Hello everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster. I live in the general area where Fauna disappeared (Rogue Valley). I had some free time today and thought I would go out and try to find the area where her vehicle was recovered. I have read that her jeep was located just past a boat launch area on Graves Creek on Mt. Ruben.

I had never heard of Mt. Ruben (but that doesn't mean much) so I typed it into Google maps and it came up with 'Mt Ruben Rd', which begins in the town of Glendale, Oregon. It was 66 miles from my house so I grabbed a Dutch Bros and hit the I-5. An hour or so later I pulled off the lone exit marked Glendale. This is way out in the boonies. The exit ramp made a full circle under the interstate and the view coming out from under the bridge was breath taking. Tall mountains of thick pine as far as the eye could see.

The bridge had graffiti and taggings on it which was a little out of place given how remote the place is.

As I took in the view, I came to a fork in the road. One direction that pointed left said 'Glendale- 3 Miles' or an option to go straight said "Glendale High School/Azaela Rd". I choose the 3 miles and it was a long three miles, sprinkled sparsely with farm houses, a mill and untended fields. I took the "Glendale High School/Azeala Rd." on my way out and it was equally as long and sparse.

Once I made it Glendale, I pulled over to get my bearings. Its a very small town, population 821. There is a main drag with an elementary school, one cash-only bar, a coffee shop that was closed and a little grocery store. The main st is called Pacific Ave. While it is the 'main street' in that the towns shops are on it, it's by no means the 'main street' or center of town. The town itself is spread out for being so small. There were quite a few homeless folks, which while not uncommon in this part of Oregon, I found it a litle odd being so far out.

After the shops on Pacific Ave, there were a few houses and the road became Mt. Ruben Rd. A yellow sign read "Dead End". The road was paved and there were a lot of mail boxes so I decided to keep going. Another sign read "County road mainted 4.5 miles". It was a beautiful drive. A creek ran beside the road at some parts, insects buzzed loudly and squirrels scampered in the trees. It was remote and wooded, tons of foliage. There were more residences, and while fewer and farther between, they ranged from normal houses to a well appointed ranch, a 10 foot tall boarded driveway with huge KEEP OUT signs, and a few mobile homes.

There was nothing to indicate on the 4.5 mile drive that there was anywhere to camp, hike, fish, etc. It was pretty clearly a residential road. Lots of "No Trespassing" signs and no where to pull off and park. At the end of 4.5 miles the road became unpaved and came to a fork. Both sides of the fork had "no trespassing" signs. I was scared to go further so I turned around.

Does anyone know if I was in the right place? I am pretty sure once the county maintained road runs out, the road continues until its becomes a BLM road. There was no boat ramp. There were very few people- I saw the mail man and one other car.

I only have one overwhelming thought today and that is it would be a really werid, out of the way place to stumble upon. You really, really have to try and get there.

If this is where Fauna's car was found, I have a hard time believing that she went there to hike/camp/recreate. I understand she had some familairty with the Rogue Valley; but this was very much off the beaten path, its far away from Grants Pass and the Weaksu Inn, there is really not alot there, and there are no marked hikes or anything to indicate such. If she went there to take her life she had to have been there before. Someone had to live there at some time or something. Just my thoughts.

All of this is to say, Im not sure I was in the right spot today. If anyone knows a more percise locations I would love to know.

Also in my research I think Fauna was last seen 2 years ago today. We are looking for you!!

Hello everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster. I live in the general area where Fauna disappeared (Rogue Valley). I had some free time today and thought I would go out and try to find the area where her vehicle was recovered. I have read that her jeep was located just past a boat launch area on Graves Creek on Mt. Ruben.

I had never heard of Mt. Ruben (but that doesn't mean much) so I typed it into Google maps and it came up with 'Mt Ruben Rd', which begins in the town of Glendale, Oregon. It was 66 miles from my house so I grabbed a Dutch Bros and hit the I-5. An hour or so later I pulled off the lone exit marked Glendale. This is way out in the boonies. The exit ramp made a full circle under the interstate and the view coming out from under the bridge was breath taking. Tall mountains of thick pine as far as the eye could see.

The bridge had graffiti and taggings on it which was a little out of place given how remote the place is.

As I took in the view, I came to a fork in the road. One direction that pointed left said 'Glendale- 3 Miles' or an option to go straight said "Glendale High School/Azaela Rd". I choose the 3 miles and it was a long three miles, sprinkled sparsely with farm houses, a mill and untended fields. I took the "Glendale High School/Azeala Rd." on my way out and it was equally as long and sparse.

Once I made it Glendale, I pulled over to get my bearings. Its a very small town, population 821. There is a main drag with an elementary school, one cash-only bar, a coffee shop that was closed and a little grocery store. The main st is called Pacific Ave. While it is the 'main street' in that the towns shops are on it, it's by no means the 'main street' or center of town. The town itself is spread out for being so small. There were quite a few homeless folks, which while not uncommon in this part of Oregon, I found it a litle odd being so far out.

After the shops on Pacific Ave, there were a few houses and the road became Mt. Ruben Rd. A yellow sign read "Dead End". The road was paved and there were a lot of mail boxes so I decided to keep going. Another sign read "County road mainted 4.5 miles". It was a beautiful drive. A creek ran beside the road at some parts, insects buzzed loudly and squirrels scampered in the trees. It was remote and wooded, tons of foliage. There were more residences, and while fewer and farther between, they ranged from normal houses to a well appointed ranch, a 10 foot tall boarded driveway with huge KEEP OUT signs, and a few mobile homes.

There was nothing to indicate on the 4.5 mile drive that there was anywhere to camp, hike, fish, etc. It was pretty clearly a residential road. Lots of "No Trespassing" signs and no where to pull off and park. At the end of 4.5 miles the road became unpaved and came to a fork. Both sides of the fork had "no trespassing" signs. I was scared to go further so I turned around.

Does anyone know if I was in the right place? I am pretty sure once the county maintained road runs out, the road continues until its becomes a BLM road. There was no boat ramp. There were very few people- I saw the mail man and one other car.

I only have one overwhelming thought today and that is it would be a really werid, out of the way place to stumble upon. You really, really have to try and get there.

If this is where Fauna's car was found, I have a hard time believing that she went there to hike/camp/recreate. I understand she had some familairty with the Rogue Valley; but this was very much off the beaten path, its far away from Grants Pass and the Weaksu Inn, there is really not alot there, and there are no marked hikes or anything to indicate such. If she went there to take her life she had to have been there before. Someone had to live there at some time or something. Just my thoughts.

All of this is to say, Im not sure I was in the right spot today. If anyone knows a more percise locations I would love to know.

Also in my research I think Fauna was last seen 2 years ago today. We are looking for you!!

I followed your route on google maps from Glendale out on Mt. Reuben Rd. If FF did get to the Grave Creek boat ramp from there, it's a heck of a drive that looks challenging with a lot of elevation gain and cliffside sections of one-lane dirt road, surely without guardrails. Seeing that it's unpaved and marked 'no trespassing' nearly back in town would have had me turning around way before I got to that point, too!

However, I was able to find a much quicker, easier route to the Grave Creek boat ramp area coming from the Weasku Inn. It's a short trip, just under an hour.

The Grave Creek area looks like a gorgeous recreational haven. Waterfalls, scenic hiking trails, camping along the Rogue River. If you drive across Grave Creek bridge and hang a left toward the Rogue River National Recreation Trail, you'll end up on BLM Rd 34-8-1. If you keep driving that BLM road, it's name changes a few times with the direction of travel, then eventually becomes Mt. Reuben Rd. heading back into Glendale.

I'm wondering if various map sources have this whole stretch of logging road from the boat ramp to Glendale listed as Mt. Reuben Rd, leaving out the wordy and confusing BLM Rd. names entirely. The name changes from BLM Rd. 34-8-1 to BLM Rd. 34-8-13, to BLM Rd. 33-8-13....I can see how these very similar names could be be hard to keep track of and if you take the wrong one, it might land you deep into the forest at a dead end.

When they say her vehicle was found on Mt. Reuben Rd/"on a dead-end spur off of a mining road in rural Josephine County,” not far past the Grave Creek boat ramp, I'm sort of inclined to believe the road we'd be looking around on google maps for clues, it's going to be one of these numbered BLM Rds. and not what's listed as "Mt. Reuben Rd." like you followed from Glendale. I would also love to know exactly where her vehicle was found out there.

In searching for old maps to try and test this road name theory, I did com across something I never considered before:

Mines and Prospects of the Mount Reuben Mining District

Some mining districts in Oregon were prospected extensively in the early days of mining and then suffered a long period of quiescence until the price of gold was raised in the early 1930's. Such a district was the area near Mount Reuben in northern Josephine County. The district contains many prospects as well as the Benton mine which was rejuvenated in the 1930s and was the largest producing mine in southwestern Oregon until war conditions closed it down.

A little more info here https://www.oregongeology.org/pubs/B/B-034.pdf and here Mount Reuben - Oregon Gold

It's been a long time since I've refreshed my memory on Fauna's disappearance, but I'd love to know if the presence of mines was ever discussed, if the ones out in this district have been dismantled, or if there's any way at all for someone to have used an old mine shaft out in the deep woods for nefarious purposes. Have they been searched?

As I seem to recall, there are more than a few missing women out in this part of Oregon, and if someone were targeting women traveling alone, knowing they had a pretty solid hiding place, where no one would think to check, would be something I would consider.

On google maps, I did see what looked like some RVs out on the BLM road not far past the boat ramp, and they weren't the kind that just go out for a weekend, but perhaps ones that stay there full time. If someone who squats around the area took her out there, they'd be familiar with the terrain, know she would have little chance to escape, would be without cell reception to call for help and then they would be able to walk back home from wherever they left Fauna behind. IMOO.

Good Sleuthing @Postafish.

It was good of you to check that area out, and very brave of you to do so. Such a rural area.

Two thoughts:

• The amount of homeless people you saw in the small town of Glendale (pop.821) seems quite out of proportion, even by Oregon standards. I wonder how generous the local folks are with them? And if this could be encouraging them to stick around more?
And also, where do these people go in the long cold winter?

• I wonder why so many houses and properties had No Trespassing and Keep Out signs? You wouldn't expect that in such an out-of-the-way rural area!

I wonder if that has anything to do with the rather large bunch of homeless people, and whether they have camped out on such properties, or even tried to break into properties before?

MOO.

KOBI news 6/30/22

Broken Link - content below.

JOSEPHINE COUNTY, Ore. —It’s been two years since the disappearance of a Lane County woman, that was last seen in Grants Pass.
“She basically just kinda disappeared and went off the face of the earth,” said Josephine County Sheriff, Dave Daniel.
It’s been two years since lane county woman Fauna Frey disappeared. The 45-year-old came to Grants Pass to visit her brother’s friend. Police say the last place she was seen was at the Big 5 in Grants Pass.
“It’s not every day somebody just comes into the county from out of the county and just vanishes so the whole thing is peculiar, to be honest with you,” said Sheriff Daniel.
Police say her car was found in the Galice area, but she was nowhere to be seen. Through searching her bank account records, and combing through video surveillance, still, there’s been no sign of Fauna.
“You don’t quit, you still look at all the angles, you vet all persons of interest which we’ve done and continue to do, you just follow every lead you can and you hot a tip comes in,” said Sheriff Daniel.
Fauna is one of several missing women in the county, Sheriff Daniel says over the last 4 years, 6 to 7 other middle-aged women have gone missing.
“I’ve personally put a packet together of those cases and I’ve sent them to the department of justice in portland to see I there is any connection and we really haven’t found any connection between the cases,” he said.
The Josephine County Sheriff’s Office is heading Frey’s case, two years later, Sheriff Daniel says it still remains open and active.
The Sheriff’s Office still receives tips and says they are still taking them all seriously, even today. If anyone has any information on Fauna’s case call the Josephine County Sheriff’s Office.

Last edited:
Thank you, JMapes and Annpats for your responses, I appreciate it!

In response to Annpats post-

IMO the heavy amount of ‘no trespassing’ signs in the area are a combo of folks wanting to left alone in the boonies, the amount of homeless traversing these boonies, and the amount of weed being grown out this way. Marijuana is a big source of revenue and there are many legal and illegal grows in the area. There are local rumors (especially Wolf Creek/Sunny Valley) being known for meth production, though I don’t know how true that is.

In response to JMapes post-

On July 1, 2022 I had another few hours to explore and thought I would try the alternate route towards “Ruben Mountain Rd” (BLM Rd 34-8-1/34-8-13) as described by JMAPES and wow- what a difference!! This was another gorgeous drive and a much simpler approach than from Glendale. I took I-5 to Merlin exit, onto Merlin Rd. which becomes Galice Rd.

Immediately from exiting the I-5 you can tell this is the place for outdoor recreation. I passed many RV Parks, hiking trails, and at least two camping lodges offering raft/kayak rentals and rides to put your water craft into the Rogue River.

The road is completely paved, easily navigable and goes directly to the Graves Creek Boat Ramp. The Graves Creek Boat Ramp sits at the intersection where Graves Creek meets the Rogue River. This section of the river seems for more advanced water enthusiasts; we saw several parties coming down the river rapids and all had guides. (What would happen if you fell or dumped a body into this rougher portion of the river?)

Both sides of the Graves Creek Boat Ramp had marked hiking trails and there was ample parking. I convinced my husband to join me on this trip and we hiked the “Rainy Falls Trail”, the one across from “Rogue River National Recreation Trail” mentioned by JMAPES. The hiking trail was not an easy one, and I was very happy we both had appropriate hiking boots. We saw four other parties of at least 2 folks and several dogs. The edges of hikes were slippery and steep, but not steep enough that if you fell off someone wouldn’t smell, hear or see you.

After hiking we got back in the car and proceeded on (past the Graves Creek Boat ramp) onto Lower Grave Creek Rd. At this junction is the turn off for BLM 34-8-1. I read an earlier post that her car was found 6 miles past this point, and I believe JMAPES is correct that would put the car on BLM 34-8-13/Glendale Mt. Ruben Rd. We did not explore the BLM road on this trip.

A sign marked Wolf Creek ahead in 15miles. My husband is a native of Southern Oregon and has lived here all his life. As soon as we headed for Wolf Creek he told me to lock the doors and stop for no one. He has a very negative opinion of Wolf Creek/Sunny Valley.

I sense it’s a fairly prevalent feeling expressed on Facebook pages for crime in this area (Jackson County Scanner, Find Fauna Frey, Lisa Cronin). It seems to center on drugs and lack of police- a lot of meth being made, illegal marijuana grows + human trafficking that comes with it, and “The police won’t even go out to Wolf Creek”.

This was my first time visiting Wolf Creek and… yea I get it. The first odd thing is that there are railroad tracks that follow the road a few miles after the Graves Creek Bridge. As previously mentioned, we have a lot of transient/homeless folks in Southern Oregon and they utilize the tracks. I do not understand where these railroad tracks go or if they are still running (as I think they go East/West and I am only used to seeing N/S here). There were quite a few burned out cars, abandoned trailers, trash etc. on that side of the road the tracks were on. The other side of the road had residences- some looked pretty impoverished and some looked ok. We saw a young man who looked very startled/scared to see us, appeared high on meth, digging through a shed that didn’t appear to be his. Didn’t see anyone else besides a state trooper filling up at the only gas station in Wolf Creek on our way out. (So the police at least stop out there for gas!)

Summary: The car was abandoned close to Wolf Creek. If Fauna was familiar with Wolf Creek, she may have been familiar with the area the car was abandoned. Alternatively, if someone harmed her and hid her car, I am confident they are familiar with this area. The area has railroad tracks running on one side that homeless and transients use to travel. It feels odd the vehicle was hidden far away and left locked; rather than on the side of the road to be stripped, trashed, stolen etc. I don’t know what any of it means.

There were very well marked camp grounds, hiking trails, etc. before the Graves Creek boat ramp/bridge. After the boat ramp, there were only unmarked pull offs and residential homes. My opinion is Fauna did not pull off where the car was found for recreation. She could have done some deep, solo, dangerous hiking at the boat ramp/bridge (if that’s what she was into). No reason to pull off on one of these unmarked places, drive 6 more miles on BLM road and hide the car way up in the mountains just for a hike or walk around. Someone harmed her and dumped the vehichle there, she dumped the vehicle there to walk away/start fresh, or she went there to die.

I am pretty sure the road her car was abandoned on, as stated by JMAPES, is BLM Rd 34-8-1/34-8-13. I am going to do more research on the roads/mines and eventually make a trip up. My Dad loves all things mining, hiking, geography, maps, etc. so I going to see what he can dig up and get him up here to explore with me. Also going to work on softening my husband for another trip.

In the meantime, I am working on going through every podcast, YouTube video (Gray Hughes is a painful listen, holy cow) interview, FFF page to try and gather the details and timelines for myself. There are quite a few interviews on there now with her dad/friends/brothers friends. I will post that here when complete.

JUN 30, 2022
[...]

... The 45-year-old came to Grants Pass to visit her brother’s friend. Police say the last place she was seen was at the Big 5 in Grants Pass.

[...]

Police say her car was found in the Galice area, but she was nowhere to be seen. Through searching her bank account records, and combing through video surveillance, still, there’s been no sign of Fauna.

[...]

The Josephine County Sheriff’s Office is heading Frey’s case, two years later, Sheriff Daniel says it still remains open and active.

The Sheriff’s Office still receives tips and says they are still taking them all seriously, even today. ...

[...]

2 years after Fauna Frey went missing, Josephine Co. authorities are still searching​

Thank you, JMapes and Annpats for your responses, I appreciate it!

In response to Annpats post-

IMO the heavy amount of ‘no trespassing’ signs in the area are a combo of folks wanting to left alone in the boonies, the amount of homeless traversing these boonies, and the amount of weed being grown out this way. Marijuana is a big source of revenue and there are many legal and illegal grows in the area. There are local rumors (especially Wolf Creek/Sunny Valley) being known for meth production, though I don’t know how true that is.

In response to JMapes post-

On July 1, 2022 I had another few hours to explore and thought I would try the alternate route towards “Ruben Mountain Rd” (BLM Rd 34-8-1/34-8-13) as described by JMAPES and wow- what a difference!! This was another gorgeous drive and a much simpler approach than from Glendale. I took I-5 to Merlin exit, onto Merlin Rd. which becomes Galice Rd.

Immediately from exiting the I-5 you can tell this is the place for outdoor recreation. I passed many RV Parks, hiking trails, and at least two camping lodges offering raft/kayak rentals and rides to put your water craft into the Rogue River.

The road is completely paved, easily navigable and goes directly to the Graves Creek Boat Ramp. The Graves Creek Boat Ramp sits at the intersection where Graves Creek meets the Rogue River. This section of the river seems for more advanced water enthusiasts; we saw several parties coming down the river rapids and all had guides. (What would happen if you fell or dumped a body into this rougher portion of the river?)

Both sides of the Graves Creek Boat Ramp had marked hiking trails and there was ample parking. I convinced my husband to join me on this trip and we hiked the “Rainy Falls Trail”, the one across from “Rogue River National Recreation Trail” mentioned by JMAPES. The hiking trail was not an easy one, and I was very happy we both had appropriate hiking boots. We saw four other parties of at least 2 folks and several dogs. The edges of hikes were slippery and steep, but not steep enough that if you fell off someone wouldn’t smell, hear or see you.

After hiking we got back in the car and proceeded on (past the Graves Creek Boat ramp) onto Lower Grave Creek Rd. At this junction is the turn off for BLM 34-8-1. I read an earlier post that her car was found 6 miles past this point, and I believe JMAPES is correct that would put the car on BLM 34-8-13/Glendale Mt. Ruben Rd. We did not explore the BLM road on this trip.

A sign marked Wolf Creek ahead in 15miles. My husband is a native of Southern Oregon and has lived here all his life. As soon as we headed for Wolf Creek he told me to lock the doors and stop for no one. He has a very negative opinion of Wolf Creek/Sunny Valley.

I sense it’s a fairly prevalent feeling expressed on Facebook pages for crime in this area (Jackson County Scanner, Find Fauna Frey, Lisa Cronin). It seems to center on drugs and lack of police- a lot of meth being made, illegal marijuana grows + human trafficking that comes with it, and “The police won’t even go out to Wolf Creek”.

This was my first time visiting Wolf Creek and… yea I get it. The first odd thing is that there are railroad tracks that follow the road a few miles after the Graves Creek Bridge. As previously mentioned, we have a lot of transient/homeless folks in Southern Oregon and they utilize the tracks. I do not understand where these railroad tracks go or if they are still running (as I think they go East/West and I am only used to seeing N/S here). There were quite a few burned out cars, abandoned trailers, trash etc. on that side of the road the tracks were on. The other side of the road had residences- some looked pretty impoverished and some looked ok. We saw a young man who looked very startled/scared to see us, appeared high on meth, digging through a shed that didn’t appear to be his. Didn’t see anyone else besides a state trooper filling up at the only gas station in Wolf Creek on our way out. (So the police at least stop out there for gas!)

Summary: The car was abandoned close to Wolf Creek. If Fauna was familiar with Wolf Creek, she may have been familiar with the area the car was abandoned. Alternatively, if someone harmed her and hid her car, I am confident they are familiar with this area. The area has railroad tracks running on one side that homeless and transients use to travel. It feels odd the vehicle was hidden far away and left locked; rather than on the side of the road to be stripped, trashed, stolen etc. I don’t know what any of it means.

There were very well marked camp grounds, hiking trails, etc. before the Graves Creek boat ramp/bridge. After the boat ramp, there were only unmarked pull offs and residential homes. My opinion is Fauna did not pull off where the car was found for recreation. She could have done some deep, solo, dangerous hiking at the boat ramp/bridge (if that’s what she was into). No reason to pull off on one of these unmarked places, drive 6 more miles on BLM road and hide the car way up in the mountains just for a hike or walk around. Someone harmed her and dumped the vehichle there, she dumped the vehicle there to walk away/start fresh, or she went there to die.

I am pretty sure the road her car was abandoned on, as stated by JMAPES, is BLM Rd 34-8-1/34-8-13. I am going to do more research on the roads/mines and eventually make a trip up. My Dad loves all things mining, hiking, geography, maps, etc. so I going to see what he can dig up and get him up here to explore with me. Also going to work on softening my husband for another trip.

In the meantime, I am working on going through every podcast, YouTube video (Gray Hughes is a painful listen, holy cow) interview, FFF page to try and gather the details and timelines for myself. There are quite a few interviews on there now with her dad/friends/brothers friends. I will post that here when complete.

I love reading your reports @Postafish! So well-written and vivid. I live in Southern Oregon (Jackson county) also and you made me want to go exploring! Thanks so much for doing this.

For the past nine years I’ve been involved on the thread for Stephanie Warner, missing from Ruch and probably murdered by her boyfriend. He had been a miner, and I’ve always had a gut feeling that he hid her body in an old mine. So I don’t think it‘s beyond the realm of possibility that someone did the same to Fauna, if she was seeking info someone didn’t want her to have. Or else, in her grief, she found a place to die. I do believe her remains will be found by accident, as I hope Stephanie’s are someday.

Are they saying her car was found in the Grants Pass area because it's just the closest big city? Because Glendale is at least a half hour away. I'm not familiar with Galice. I am very familiar with Glendale and wondering how anyone got the impression there was a bunch of homeless there. It's been a year or so since I've been there, but I do have family that live there and I've never once seen a homeless person. i don't know how anyone would make it there homeless with such a low population. There's no campground there, but there are a couple of parks, one of them very wooded. It would definitely not be a destination for someone going hiking or camping, although there is a lot of wooded area on the outskirts, and the parks are really only used by locals.

There are a ton of forestry roads and roads that extend for many miles through mountainous areas in Oregon. So going by a rural road name could put you way off the mark and into a different town. I've always been confused about where her car was found.

Southern Oregon is well-known for illegal grow operations, although I have a hard time believing that has anything to do with Fauna's disappearance.

Are they saying her car was found in the Grants Pass area because it's just the closest big city? Because Glendale is at least a half hour away. I'm not familiar with Galice. I am very familiar with Glendale and wondering how anyone got the impression there was a bunch of homeless there. It's been a year or so since I've been there, but I do have family that live there and I've never once seen a homeless person. i don't know how anyone would make it there homeless with such a low population. There's no campground there, but there are a couple of parks, one of them very wooded. It would definitely not be a destination for someone going hiking or camping, although there is a lot of wooded area on the outskirts, and the parks are really only used by locals.

There are a ton of forestry roads and roads that extend for many miles through mountainous areas in Oregon. So going by a rural road name could put you way off the mark and into a different town. I've always been confused about where her car was found.

Southern Oregon is well-known for illegal grow operations, although I have a hard time believing that has anything to do with Fauna's disappearance.

Yes, they use Grants Pass because it’s the closest city. You’re right about the forestry roads. If you read/study posts #126 and #129 with map in hand as I had to, you’ll see that her car was found nowhere near Glendale, but likely on a forestry road near the Graves Creek boat ramp that eventually connects with Mt Reuben Rd (or Reuben Mt Road). That location is closer to Galice than Glendale. I think Galice is just used as a reference point as it’s not *that* close.

I’m not sure about homeless in Glendale (perhaps @Postafish can address what she saw), but if there is a store where they can stand outside and ask for money and a couple of parks, I can believe that at least a few would hang out there. We live in a town of about 20,000 near I-5 in Jackson county and there are a fair number of homeless. I was in the center of downtown last week and someone was sleeping on the Plaza in the afternoon with all their possessions piled in a grocery cart! We live downtown and they also hang out near our apartment building. The police presence is minimal. This is just my experience and doesn’t relate to Fauna in any way.

Personally, I think she went there to die. Either that or she took a walk, fell and was injured. I hope she’s found so that her family can have some small comfort.

According what she bought doesn't sound to me she was planning to kill herself. I think she may be somewhere in the mines. Just some thoughts: she arrived there during the day. It was around 91 Fahrenheit (on 6/29), it was warm, she left her sweater (that was later found) in her car. She planned to check out the mines or maybe a cave (don't know if there are some) and that's why she took the flash lights (not found in the car). She got stuck/had an accident in a mine/cave and wasn't able to get out. During the night the temperature dropped to 54 Farenheit. Maybe she died of being injured, dehydration, combined with the temperature dropping to 54 Farenheit (on 6/29), during the night.

I find it interesting that the family didn't elaborate on the fingerprints found in the car. What could be the reason for that?

Also this is written in the intro of the private fb group dedicated to her missing Help find Fauna Frey Help Find Fauna Frey #FindFaunaFrey

In the 'about' section, which is public:

About​

Fauna is a 45 year old woman that lives just outside of Eugene/Springfield, Oregon. She has been missing since the night of 6/28/2020. She was reported missing out of Josephine County because that is the last place we know with 100% certainty she was last seen (surveillance footage from Fred Meyer, leaving the store with items purchased) . Fauna did not have a cell phone with her when she left Eugene/Springfield. Her vehicle, 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Dark Blue with Grey Rock Guard paneling, does not have GPS package as far as we are aware.
The purpose of this group is to come together in a collaborate way. To share information, ideas, and what the plans are moving forward with regards to her search. And of course for TIPS!

Last edited:
Sorry I forgot to quote the post - but the No Trespassing signs in rural yards in the woods are likely to caution potential hunters!

Every time I think of Fauna, I feel SO horrible for her father. He lost both his kids. I don't think Fauna purposely abandoned her life, for that reason - she and her dad were close and both in grief, I don't feel she'd leave him alone in it.
I hope he's getting love and support.

DEC 5, 2022

Fauna Frey

fauna_frey.jpg

Fauna Frey had been temporarily living in Dexter, Oregon, with her father and brother when she vanished on June 29, 2020. The 45-year-old was last seen leaving the Super 8 hotel in Grants Pass, Oregon, between 8:30 and 9:00 a.m. on June 29, 2020. Fauna had made a reservation at the Weasku Inn in Grants Pass for later that day, but never showed up. In 2020, Josephine County Sheriff Dave Daniel told NBC affiliate KOBI5 that potential sightings have not panned out and there has also been no trace of Fauna’s car, a dark blue Jeep Grand Cherokee with the Oregon license plate 339EYB. Jeni Hill-Stapleton, one of Fauna’s good friends from high school, organized a social media campaign with a Facebook page and hashtag - ‘Help Find Fauna Frey #FindFaunaFrey.’ In November 2022, the Josephine County Sheriff's Office told Dateline that Fauna's case is still open and active. Fauna is described as 5’6”, weighing 135-150 lbs., with blonde hair and blue eyes. If you have any information that can help Fauna’s case, please call the Josephine County Sheriff’s Office at 541-474-5117.

Hello to all searching for Fauna; I hope 2023 brings the answers we are looking for.

I want to begin this post by sharing my belief that Fauna Frey has disappeared due to foul play. It is not a conclusion I have come to lightly; and I will do my best to explain how I have come to this firm belief in a future post.

For now, and most importantly, I want to update anyone intending to search where her car was left (Lower Grave Creek Boat Ramp to BLM 34-8-1) that the Merlin/Galice access side is completely closed as of May 2023. I have been approaching the area from 1-5 > Wolf Creek > Lower Grave Creek Rd > to the boat ramp>to the BLM road. My personal opinion at this time is that her car was dumped in this location. I have another trip planned at the end of June 2023 and will update if the Merlin/Galice side is open. Just make sure to google the route before you go.

<modsnip - reference to non-approved source>

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello to all searching for Fauna; I hope 2023 brings the answers we are looking for.

I want to begin this post by sharing my belief that Fauna Frey has disappeared due to foul play. It is not a conclusion I have come to lightly; and I will do my best to explain how I have come to this firm belief in a future post.

For now, and most importantly, I want to update anyone intending to search where her car was left (Lower Grave Creek Boat Ramp to BLM 34-8-1) that the Merlin/Galice access side is completely closed as of May 2023. I have been approaching the area from 1-5 > Wolf Creek > Lower Grave Creek Rd > to the boat ramp>to the BLM road. My personal opinion at this time is that her car was dumped in this location. I have another trip planned at the end of June 2023 and will update if the Merlin/Galice side is open. Just make sure to google the route before you go.

<modsnip - reference to non-approved source>
Hi, do you believe this was a crime of opportunity or do you have reasons to believe somebody known to her hurt her?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gwg3232
Back