OR OR - Fauna Frey, 45, Grants Pass, 29 Jun 2020

I am definitely feeling there is a serial killer. I would have to bet some might be drug related (overdose or now transient), suicide, and domestic, but I can't help but think that there's a pretty notable pattern there pointing to something bigger. LE have their work cut out for them! So sad for the families of these missing women. Femicide is a crisis all its own!

From the link provided (Oregon State Police : Missing Persons : Missing Persons : State of Oregon) I downloaded data for women aged over 20 who disappeared from Jan 1 2020. There are 61 women on this list which I used as the total. I looked up population data by county and made a few simple calculations.

Age groups:
31-40 (21 missing, 34.5%)
21-30 (14, 23%)
41-50 (14, 23%)
51-60 (7, 11.4%)
over 60 (5, 8.1%)

County, No of missing, No of missing per 100k county population
Multnomah, 21, 2.6
Lane, 14, 3.7
Clackamas, 7, 1.7
Jackson, 6, 2.8
Marion, 5, 1.5
Josephine, 2, 2.3

There are 6 more counties with 1 missing.
No of missing women (counting 61 as total) per 100k population for Oregon is 1.5.

Number of missing per year: 19 (2020), 42 (2021)
Per quarter:
Jan-Mar 2020: 2
Apr-Jun 2020: 5
Jul-Sep 2020: 3
Oct-Dec 2020: 9
Jan-Mar 2021: 18
Apr-May 2021: 24

Last edited:
JUN 28, 2021
Group hosting rally for Southern Oregon missing women at Josephine Co. Courthouse Tuesday - KOBI-TV NBC5 / KOTI-TV NBC2 (kobi5.com)
[...]

Police say there’s no reason to believe foul play is involved, but Frey’s family and friends are getting more anxious. Tuesday a group is holding a rally in front of the Josephine Co. Courthouse from 12 pm-3 pm.

“We are still seeking leads from the community down there to try and determine what happened to Fauna, what her fate is,” Scott McKee, private investigator.

[...]

There are currently 47 missing women within Jackson, Josephine, and Klamath County. That’s according to data from the State of Oregon.

JUN 30, 2021
One year after Lane Co. woman goes missing, family rallies for answers
It’s been one year since Lane Co. woman, Fauna Frey disappeared. She came to Grants Pass to visit her brother’s friend. Then went missing. Her family is asking for answers. The family of Fauna Frey gathered in front of the Josephine Co. Courthouse Tuesday.

[...]

“Most of what [Josephine Co. Sheriff’s Office] worked off of instead of doing it as a separate case its things that we’ve told them about and then they’ve looked into it,” said John.

[...]

Other families who have missing loved ones nearby also came to the rally. Back in 2019 Lisa Cronin, a woman last seen in Sunny Valley. She left behind 2 children and 3 grandchildren, something her family says is not like her.

[...]

Both families of Fauna Frey and Lisa Cronin are asking law enforcement for a more aggressive approach to these missing cases.

Josephine Co. Sheriff Dave Daniel told NBC5 News in a statement –

Investigations have been conducted on all cases.

Meanwhile, Frey’s family has increased the reward to $100k for any information that leads investigators to find Fauna.

Fauna Roseanna Frey – The Charley Project

Casefile added July 26, 2021

Details of Disappearance
Frey was last seen at the Umpqua Bank in Rogue River, Oregon on June 29, 2020. She had decided to take a trip as a way to cope with her brother's unexpected death a few weeks earlier, and mentioned to her father that she'd picked up a hitchhiker. She last had contact with her family on July 1. She may have been camping near Brookings, Oregon or in Josephine County, Oregon.

In the days prior to her disappearance, Frey used her credit card twice to purchase camping equipment and personal items. She also used her credit card to reserve a room at the Weasku Inn in Grants Pass, Oregon, but she never showed up to claim her reservation. After she booked the room, her credit card was never used again. She was reported missing on July 5.

Her vehicle, a blue 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with two or three parking stickers on the windshield and the Oregon license plate number 339EYB, disappeared with her. A photo of it is posted with this case summary.

On September 23, almost three months later, the car was found on a dead-end spur off Reuben Mountain Road, a mining road about six miles past the Grave Creek Boat Landing in Josephine County. It was locked and some of her belongings, including food she'd purchased, were inside it. It appeared to have been parked there for a month or longer.

An extensive search turned up no indication of Frey's whereabouts. Police have questioned the hitchhiker she picked up and the person isn't a suspect in her case. Frey left her laptop and cellular phone behind, but her father stated she often didn't use her phone and would use a burner phone to keep in touch with people.

Since Frey was last seen, her bank account has not been accessed. Authorities have found no evidence of foul play in her disappearance, which remains unsolved.

Not any new information about her, but this is a local news article that mentions Fauna and offers some stark statistics:

Rogue Valley News, Monday 2/8 – Oregon Has Third-Highest Rate Of Open Missing Person Cases In USA, White City Man Sentenced for Illegally Poaching in Crater Lake National Park For Years - Rogue Valley Magazine

"Disturbing Number of Missing Women in Oregon in Past 2 Years
Of course, not only women are missing, as there are so many children and men missing too. And really missing person’s is a crisis that gets shoved aside as not enough resources and is a horrible thing to even think about.

However, there is a disturbing number of women and in particular, a pattern emerging: There are 47 women over the age of 30 on the missing person list just in the last 2 years. 33 since January 2020. 29 since June 2020 as seems to have escalated in last 6 months. 16 missing in last 3 months since November 2020. There is a pattern and this needs to be looked into. https://www.oregon.gov/osp/missing/pages/missingpersons.aspx"

It may be too simplistic an answer, but my mind immediately goes to the impact that the pandemic has had on people, particularly women. Women have been the first ones laid off, expected to give up their jobs to care for kids/family, on top of generally carrying much of the emotional burden of family life. If someone was already going through something, like Fauna with the losses in her family, the state of the world and life in 2020 may have been enough to push her to go off the grid. Then, without any kind of help or anyone to turn to, it could be possible that she decided to take her own life out there. I can't seem to think of any explanation more logical than that.

The fingerprints in her car don't stand out to me as evidence of anything. If she was someone who was prone to pick up hitchikers, it's possible that she gave people rides all the time, and it wouldn't be farfetched to think that different people would have been in her car over a period of time.

It may be too simplistic an answer, but my mind immediately goes to the impact that the pandemic has had on people, particularly women. Women have been the first ones laid off, expected to give up their jobs to care for kids/family, on top of generally carrying much of the emotional burden of family life. If someone was already going through something, like Fauna with the losses in her family, the state of the world and life in 2020 may have been enough to push her to go off the grid. Then, without any kind of help or anyone to turn to, it could be possible that she decided to take her own life out there. I can't seem to think of any explanation more logical than that.

The fingerprints in her car don't stand out to me as evidence of anything. If she was someone who was prone to pick up hitchikers, it's possible that she gave people rides all the time, and it wouldn't be farfetched to think that different people would have been in her car over a period of time.
Everyone who knew her was shocked she picked up a hitch-hiker, even though it was a woman, it was still very much outside the norm for her.

NEW flyer for Fauna Frey:
118178715_10158773688926926_6096183481551451997_n.jpg

Missing Oregon woman picked up hitchhiker says father who is still on her trail

John Frey said he last heard from his 45-year-old daughter Fauna Frey on Sunday, June 28 when she called him from a hotel phone. He said she had taken the trip as a way to cope with her brother’s death and noted that he was surprised to hear that she had picked up a hitchhiker near Wilderville.

“She talked to me about angels, and then about the hitchhiker, it wasn’t really like her to pick up hitchhikers, so I knew she was disoriented, and very much in grief,” he said. "She was very upset and distraught about (the death)."

On September 23, her 2000 four-door Jeep Cherokee was found in a rural area on Reuben Mountain Road a few miles past Grave Creek Boat Landing.

Frey said the county’s search and rescue team was deployed but found nothing in or around the car.

He explained state police informed him the evidence collected inside the car is put at the end of a long list because there is no evidence a crime has been committed.

Frey explained since he began searching for his daughter, he has discovered several other women close to Fauna’s age and description who have also been reported missing in the area. He believes it’s a pattern.

Fauna Frey is described as a white woman, who has blue eyes, blonde hair, she is around 5’6” in height and has a tattoo on her lower back.

“There are more people that care than she will ever know, there is a whole bunch of people who love her, we just want to make sure she is safe, and she is okay,” Frey said. “We miss her.”

The family has set up an anonymous tip line 541-359-5638 and email address findfaunafrey@gmail.com for anyone who has any leads of Fauna’s whereabouts.

Last edited:
The timeline in Sept 2020 of everything the family knew:
Timeline
Fauna Frey
Case #: 20001267
6/27/20
That evening Fauna drives her Jeep from Dexter, OR towards Grant Pass, OR. She spends the night in her car at an unknown location. She does not bring any clothes.
6/28/20
10:08am Fauna stops at Creswell 76 Station $20 purchase
11:40am Fauna picks up chicken strips for **** dog. We believe she stopped at the Wolf Creek Store and bought them there.
11:45am Fauna stops at **** house in Wolf Creek. Spends 30 minutes with ****. **** provided Fauna an address via DEX to *advertiser censored* Onion Mountain Rd.
??? Picks up hitchhiker NOT SURE WHAT TIME took her to Fish Hatchery Rd (takes 31 min to get to gas station in Cave Junction)
7:04pm Cave Junction Chevron $25 Purchase
7:45pm checked into Super 8 hotel
8:00pm approx. called her dad John at home
8:30pm approx. goes to Fred Meyers purchased ($138.28):
socks
VO5 shampoo
Pantene conditioner
2 Burt’s Bees
deli sandwich
1 bag of potato chips
some active wear clothing
2 cans of Foster Beer
Fred Meyer video footage captures her walking to her car wearing a neon green and purple pull over. (it is confirmed Fauna arrived back to her room at the Super 8 after her shopping trip alone).
6/29/20
8:35am Video showed Fauna leaving hotel room and Super 8 in Grants Pass
11:44am $200 cash withdrawal from Umpqua Bank in Rogue River
12:36pm Big 5 purchased ($250.77):
3 pack of palm held flashlights (picture in comment)
Lantern
Capris
Tennis shoes
Sports bra
2:35pm Fauna made a reservation at Weasku Inn Reservations system
3:39pm Gooseberries purchase ($56.61)
10 tuna packs
3 cans of coffee (no refrigerator needed) (picture in comments)
1 smoothie
No other banking activity

120530390_10223417202529058_8066157661791122083_n.jpg

South Western Oregon Missing Persons Crisis

There are many women over the age of 30 missing in Southern Oregon and all these cases need to be thoroughly investigated.

Though there are many missing persons in Oregon, there does seem to be an inordinate amount of women over 30 missing, especially in the last two years. There are 63 women over the age of 30 missing in Oregon since 10/8/2019.

37 of them are from Southern Oregon. That is just for the past two years.

This doesn’t account for women who may have come here from other parts of the region and are missing in the Southern Oregon area.

image-29-1024x505.png

14 Oregon Cold Cases Submitted By That Oregon Life Followers | That Oregon Life

139061344_10224958995184177_3823403117095489390_n-e1612836909940.jpg

John Frey last spoke to his daughter on June 28, when she checked into a Super 8 hotel in Grants Pass. He mentioned that his daughter was still mourning the sudden death of her brother and said she sounded “distressed” over the phone. He suggested that she find a cabin to rent so she would be more comfortable.

Video shows Fauna leaving the Super 8 between 8:30 a.m. and 9 a.m. on June 29 with her bags, but according to her father, she never made it to the Weasku Inn where she had made a reservation.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
On the Help Find Fauna Frey page, there is a post by JW on December 16, 2020 that has very, very helpful and interesting comments on it regarding the hitch hiker.

Last edited:
You can still see the link? I get a "page down" notification like it was taken off facebook or something.
Hoping for some answers for her loved ones!
I had to view by Recent Post instead of New Activity, but I found it. I'm not sure what the relevance is, other than someone says the hitchhiker was cleared. It's a private group, so I don't think we can link, but the page is definitely not down.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wickstrom8
Back