Found Deceased OR - Katharine 'Katy' Roe, 22, Depoe Bay, 17 April 2016

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Have you seen her? Depoe Bay woman goes missing on walk home from bar

39c7e1b9-0488-41dd-9b16-af26212765e4-large16x9_KatharineKatieRoePhotofromtheLincolnCountySheriffsOffice.jpg

http://katu.com/news/local/have-you...home-from-bar-katie-roe-lincoln-county-oregon

Wow. This picture of her instantly struck me as very like the famous Mona Lisa painting.

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/centr...-search-for-missing-depoe-bay-woman/140933428

(snipped)

Katharine "Katie" Olivia Roe was last seen leaving the Wing Wa restaurant at about 2 a.m. Sunday and was reportedly headed home to the Southpoint area. When she was still not home by 5:30 a.m., her grandmother called the sheriff's office.

“She's missing we need to find her. If anyone spots her or hears anything or sees anything we just need to get the word out we need to find Katie,” said her grandmother, Patty Summerton.
She said Katie grew up in Depoe Bay and like many other residents, is comfortable walking in the town.
Summerton said she knew something was wrong when her granddaughter stopped text messaging her.
“She said headed home, love you. That was 2 a.m.,” said Summerton.

A tourist was killed by a sneaker wave this weekend. I've been to Depoe Bay once but just remember the beach and the b&b so I have no clue as to whether or not her walk home would put her at risk for that. Lots of odd going on in that tiny little coastal area this weekend yikes.

http://m.mailtribune.com/article/20160415/NEWS/160419677

WELCOME!!! koalasleuth! :) Good Questions!

Thankyou Treelights. I feel very welcome :):). Also it would be good to find out what the weather is like this time of year around that area?. A walk along those rocks on the beachfront judging by google earth looks very precarious indeed and just the kind of risk a bit of alcohol might make someone take, the water looks turbulent. She is also 22 at that age people do take risks, speculatively speaking of course. It would be good to find out from a relative a bit about her character. Can anyone look into that ?

I have just seen this article that explains the rapid response from the search and rescue teams and it states "this is completely uncharacteristic of her". This along with the text sent to her relative “She said headed home, love you. That was 2 a.m.,” is very worrying indeed. I think we can take it she is a normal young woman who has disappeared. Also the text may or may not suggest that she was not in a heavily inebriated state. This weather report also states the temperature as probably between 9.0 and 7.5 c with no wind at time of expected disappearance. I still wouldn't say its warm enough to be walking along those rocks but the recording that there is no wind at etod may suggest otherwise. Her facebook profile pic is of a pic taken from rocks looking out to sea, is this along that area ? Could she have accepted a lift from a passerby ? Its a mile journey from point to point takes roughly half an hour. Looking at the details here. Weather report link, https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KEUG/2016/4/17/DailyHistory.html?MR=1

I know girls/women should be able to walk home in the middle of the night, on that same breath I wished she would have called and talk to someone while walking or walked with a buddy.
Where are you Katy?

The rogue wave mentioned by flourish sounds like it's exactly what happened to her. She texted Grandma that the moon looks beautiful over the ocean, she'd just hang out and watch it for awhile.

So she wanted to go have a drink at midnight, so grandma went with her. Then grandma says she's tired and has to work in the morning (who blames her) so she goes home, saying she's going to bed. Katy stays behind until 2. After grandma has presumedly gone to bed, Katy begins texting her she's walking home, no, she's going to hang out over the ocean for awhile. Something seems really "off" here with her behavior, IMHO. She looks kind of introverted, and yet she decides to stay at a bar by herself to closing time. And then she texts her grandmother twice, who she knows has said she's tired and is going to bed. I know people that age tend to be self-centered and a little thoughtless, but ????

Anyway, at this point it seems most likely she fell in or a wave pushed her into the ocean.

http://koin.com/2016/04/18/woman-22-missing-in-depoe-bay/

Does look that way. Not drunk either, one drink each. Can we find out who was at the bar and any cctv ? She may well have been introverted but that does not mean she wouldn't stay at a bar she is familiar with on her own. Quiet drink by herself and a lovely walk down the ocean front sounds exactly like something one her age would like to do. I hope the waves didn't claim her I really do. hope, hope forever hope.

She reminds me of a girl who lived in the apartment next to mine in college. I'm going to stick this out there - I don't think 1% of girls her age would like a quiet drink in a bar all by themselves, so that sets Katy apart.

The girl who lived next door to me would just take off walking, and walk forever until LE found her or family found her and brought her home. She got about 100 miles away one time. "I was just really enjoying my walk" was what she said when found.

Anyway, I'm hopeful she's wandered off. She just seems very different from other women her age - kind of a dreamy, fairy loner. I think it's likely she's wandering around. Prayers for her safe recovery.

your probably right on the drinking alone front but it is a karaoke bar. She also said “She’d had kind of a rough day at work and so she wanted to go down and have a drink,” and also her grandmother said “our local little place, restaurant and pub, that everyone in town goes to” — and each had one drink. She may well not have been drinking alone if she knows people in town, saturday night, every locals in ? she also said to summerton ’ And she said, ‘Grandma, I want to stay and finish my drink and hang out a little while.'” "her phone is dead" maybe in the water ? She’s a very, very responsible girl,” Summerton said. “Everybody in this town knows her and loves her, you know, everybody.” I very much hope your right and she has just gone for a walk. Can we find out if she was due in to work the next day ? Also would be good to find out what phone she has and associated battery capacity and also if records show when her phone switched off ?

Sorry for the strange fonts, copy and paste seems to mess them up a bit.

Praying she is found! My Heart goes out to her loved ones and her grandmother who must be crumpled in sadness.

" “She’d had kind of a rough day at work and so she wanted to go down and have a drink,” Summerton told KOIN 6 News. "

I wonder what exactly happened at her work that caused her to have a rough day?

Was she still thinking about that rough day while looking at the moon over the ocean?

IMOO.

Hey on the off chance do you know the area she was last seen in and any info on cctv or witnesses. It would be good to find out what kind of state she was in when she left and who she was with.

http://www.newportnewstimes.com/v2_news_articles.php?heading=0&page=86&story_id=51746

Snipped By Me…

"...investigators would be interviewing witnesses, looking at security videotapes along her path and talking to people who knew the missing woman."

Also, according to the link, there will be a Vigil held for Katy tomorrow, April 20th.

This is the first case I have displayed an interest in and tbh thinking the worst right now. Its kind of hit me hard. My prayers, thoughts and love to all involved. I hope your ok Katy.

" “She’d had kind of a rough day at work and so she wanted to go down and have a drink,” Summerton told KOIN 6 News. "

I wonder what exactly happened at her work that caused her to have a rough day?

Was she still thinking about that rough day while looking at the moon over the ocean?

IMOO.

Says she was a supervisor where she worked, I believe they take the flak when someones not happy, especially in a retail store. Who knows what she was thinking when she sent that, I hope she was thinking it was beautiful and that's all. Hope for the best.

koalasleuth, I'm getting the same vibes as you: She leaves a bar by herself, apparently, at 2:00am, walking. Gives me shivers. (I think Ted Bundy and his horrors did this to us -- gave us this fear & fright & suspicion, IMO.)

Did she catch a ride with someone? Did someone follow her? Did someone ambush her? I hope she is found safe & sound soon.

And one more thing:

:welcome5:

to Websleuths,

:cheer:Koalasleuth !!!!:cheer:

We're glad to have you here with us!

:thewave:

It is wise to be cautious but not fearful and thanks so much for the welcome, its made me smile big time. :happydance:
I will contribute as best I may. I do think a mishap by the sea may be whats going on here. If we could find out what time her cell shut down would help.

Thanks again :)

I

Here is a pic of the Wing Wa -- It was shown earlier in a news broadcast, but I wanted to be able to view it again.

cbk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth
Back