Found Deceased OR - Katharine 'Katy' Roe, 22, Depoe Bay, 17 April 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If there were no signs of traumatic injury or trauma, it would seem that she entered the water from the beach, rather than falling down the rocks somehow. I'm also thinking that a sneaker wave would have tossed her around and battered her, but perhaps not. However she got into the water, she drowned and it's a tragedy. :(

For the record, there is no beach near the location where her body was found, just rocks. It’s entirely possible to fall from the top, directly into the water.

ZRATL3d.jpg

For the record, there is no beach near the location where her body was found, just rocks. It’s entirely possible to fall from the top, directly into the water.

Thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't exactly sure where they found her.

Thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't exactly sure where they found her.

The reports I read said, they found her body just outside the mouth of the bay.

My gut feeling is that she fell off the bridge. Because that would have been on her route home, and it would have offered the best view of what she mentioned in her last text.

She could have also fallen from the view area, and there would have probably been a 50/50 chance of her hitting the rocks or the water. I have never been in that area after dark, but I would guess that the view area is mostly unlighted and pretty dark at that time of the night. Plus it would have been off her route.

The only thing that confuses me is that they found her vest on the rocks. Maybe it came off when she fell and wind blew it onto the rocks, or maybe she even dropped her vest over the edge and fell trying to grab it.

Maybe it came off when she fell and wind blew it onto the rocks, or maybe she even dropped her vest over the edge and fell trying to grab it.

That scenario would make sense.

Extra thanks KaaBoom for the picture above showing the area! Wow - looks dangerous; I would not want to be there along late at night!

That picture is great. It still presents allot of questions though. There is basically no chance of Katy being swept from the rocks allong that walk for two reasons firstly they are too high, secondly I personally do not think she would go out on them at all. Also she was 4.9 that's a fair effort for her to even get over the wall and back. Very little chance she would take that risk. Now I also believe she was at that bridge and that poses some questions theoretically ifshe did fall from it then how ? She would not sit on the bridge wall as its just too dangerous with no ledge on the ocean side and again an effort for her to get up. So how did she fall ? Has everyone completely ruled out foul play ? It would be very easy to pick her up and dump her over the side and that might not leave any tell tale marks ? I'm discounting the view area as if she did fall from there it could only have been from the bottom right corner of it very, slim chances. Her vest was actually found quite far from the bay on a beach that I believe but am not sure is further north from depoe bay.

The reports I read said, they found her body just outside the mouth of the bay.

My gut feeling is that she fell off the bridge. Because that would have been on her route home, and it would have offered the best view of what she mentioned in her last text.

She could have also fallen from the view area, and there would have probably been a 50/50 chance of her hitting the rocks or the water. I have never been in that area after dark, but I would guess that the view area is mostly unlighted and pretty dark at that time of the night. Plus it would have been off her route.

The only thing that confuses me is that they found her vest on the rocks. Maybe it came off when she fell and wind blew it onto the rocks, or maybe she even dropped her vest over the edge and fell trying to grab it.

I agree -- I think she fell from the bridge -- and leaning over to grab her vest (it's windy on bridges; if she didn't have it zipped, it might have blown over her head, or out of her hand) is a good theory, IMO.

That picture is great. It still presents allot of questions though. There is basically no chance of Katy being swept from the rocks allong that walk for two reasons firstly they are too high, secondly I personally do not think she would go out on them at all. Also she was 4.9 that's a fair effort for her to even get over the wall and back. Very little chance she would take that risk. Now I also believe she was at that bridge and that poses some questions theoretically ifshe did fall from it then how ? She would not sit on the bridge wall as its just too dangerous with no ledge on the ocean side and again an effort for her to get up. So how did she fall ? Has everyone completely ruled out foul play ? It would be very easy to pick her up and dump her over the side and that might not leave any tell tale marks ? I'm discounting the view area as if she did fall from there it could only have been from the bottom right corner of it very, slim chances. Her vest was actually found quite far from the bay on a beach that I believe but am not sure is further north from depoe bay.

From what I have read, it sounds like they ruled out foul play. I guess the problem with someone picking her up and throwing her over the edge would be that there is no suspect who would do something like that. The suspect would have to be some type of psychopath or something. This is a small town where everybody knows everybody. The local people would have a pretty good idea if there was someone like that in their town.

I agree it would have been impossible for a wave to wash her off the top. I can’t rule out her falling from the view area, but I think it’s much more likely that she fell from the bridge. That rock is almost as vertical as the bridge pillars, in some places.

The vest is the part that confuses me. Do you have a link to a good source that describes exactly where the vest was found? I haven’t been able to find any good information on exactly where the vest was located, or even if it was in the water or on the rocks. But I have seen some people talk that it was found on the rocks.

Kaboom

http://www.newportnewstimes.com/v2_news_articles.php?heading=0&story_id=51877&page=86 that's the link to the article mentioning the beach where the vest was found.
I do think someone throwing her over is more unlikely than a simple accident. I just find it very hard to believe Katy knowing the dangers would take a risk that would put her in harms way. I envision a scene where some kids driving down the road egging eachother on see Katy on the bridge and decide to get a thrill. I know its so unlikely but still I think maybe worth discussing. There is no need to assume they knew what they were doing, high ? Drunk ? I just really struggle to think Katy took a risk that led to her end even if its the most likely scenario. If she did fall of the bridge or rocks can we assume she would have had at least a few scratches from trying to grab something ? No mention of anything like that so we must assume she had a very clean fall indeed. Almost as if she just fell straight off, what are the chances ?

Kaboom

http://www.newportnewstimes.com/v2_news_articles.php?heading=0&story_id=51877&page=86 that's the link to the article mentioning the beach where the vest was found.
I do think someone throwing her over is more unlikely than a simple accident. I just find it very hard to believe Katy knowing the dangers would take a risk that would put her in harms way. I envision a scene where some kids driving down the road egging eachother on see Katy on the bridge and decide to get a thrill. I know its so unlikely but still I think maybe worth discussing. There is no need to assume they knew what they were doing, high ? Drunk ? I just really struggle to think Katy took a risk that led to her end even if its the most likely scenario. If she did fall of the bridge or rocks can we assume she would have had at least a few scratches from trying to grab something ? No mention of anything like that so we must assume she had a very clean fall indeed. Almost as if she just fell straight off, what are the chances ?

Thanks for the link. I’m inclined to believe that version. It makes it sound like the vest was in the water near the beach area off NW Sunset St. Which is the only beach anywhere near there, and about one half mile north of the bridge. Since the vest was in the water, it could have drifted there.

If she fell from the bridge, it could have been a clean fall right into the water, probably without a scratch. If she fell from the view area then she may have tumbled down a short embankment, and then fell into the water, possibly without a scratch, or with very minor injuries.

I think her last text message was the clue. She was just enjoying the view and got a little too close too the edge and fell over. The fact that she was probably a little tipsy from the alcohol would have helped.

Kaboom

I don't buy it. There have been SO MANY women found in the water in the PNW recently, and EVERY TIME, before an autopsy, the police issue the same statement.. "We don't suspect there was any foul play". Google "woman's body found in water in Northwest" & similar search words, there's. Plofiration of them, here's just a few of many this year... Snohomish River, Marianne Humble; Mount Lake Terrace, Sheryl DeBoer; Bainbridge Island (2 days ago), and the list goes on & on. I'm from Hawaii, with islands SURROUNDED by water, and women's bodies are not found from "accidental" drownings. Ever!!!!

Thanks for the perspective, Alohaj. Brings me back to thoughts I had initially...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paperdoll1
Back