Found Deceased OR - Katharine 'Katy' Roe, 22, Depoe Bay, 17 April 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Well with no indication of foul play and it was publicized that they had one drink - I can't find anything about GHB regarding Katy, so where did this come from.? Seriously.

Could it be just a tragic accident?

I knew someone would call me on my badly-worded question: "Will they be able to find traces of GHB in her system after all these days?" I should have said "Will they be able to find traces of GHB in her system if they were present after all these days?" I just read it, and of course I couldn't edit it. Thanks for your comment; I was in too big a hurry, or something I guess, when I worded that posting. Mea culpa. :banghead:.. ...:doh:

I certainly did not mean to suggest that she did have GHB in her system -- so please excuse, fellow Sleuthers, please excuse. Several of us thought it could be a possibility that could have affected her walking and judgement, and possibly worse, but we may never find out what caused this to happen. I hope we will be told the results of the autopsy and tox screens (if there were any done), but we'll just have to wait & see.

ETA: If the ME finds no foul play -- which sounds likely -- I do indeed think it could just be a tragic accident. She could have somehow slipped/tripped on a rock or something she did not see in the dark and that could have caused her to tumble down into the sea. Or she could have been leaning over for whatever reason and lost her balance and just tumbled. I feel so sorry for the family that she left behind.

"No obvious signs of foul play"
"The jaws of depoe bay" is that the mouth of the river ? If so it implies she was around that bridge. I still am struggling to believe that it was an accident. God its horrible.

Or she just tumbled over this railing.

KXrjnOY.jpg

I knew someone would call me on my badly-worded question: "Will they be able to find traces of GHB in her system after all these days?" I should have said "Will they be able to find traces of GHB in her system if they were present after all these days?" I just read it, and of course I couldn't edit it. Thanks for your comment; I was in too big a hurry, or something I guess, when I worded that posting. Mea culpa. :banghead:.. ...:doh:

I certainly did not mean to suggest that she did have GHB in her system -- so please excuse, fellow Sleuthers, please excuse. Several of us thought it could be a possibility that could have affected her walking and judgement, and possibly worse, but we may never find out what caused this to happen. I hope we will be told the results of the autopsy and tox screens (if there were any done), but we'll just have to wait & see.

ETA: If the ME finds no foul play -- which sounds likely -- I do indeed think it could just be a tragic accident. She could have somehow slipped/tripped on a rock or something she did not see in the dark and that could have caused her to tumble down into the sea. Or she could have been leaning over for whatever reason and lost her balance and just tumbled. I feel so sorry for the family that she left behind.

I understand.
But there is no "evidence" of any of that. IMO when the young missing woman is found dead in a place where these things happen suddenly... Why complicate it with 'what-ifs' where there is no history, no basis in fact.

So she had a bad day and lingered a while longer.

Then the ocean took her. That alone is tragic enough, IMO

I just say My :moo:

I'm not sure where the GHB idea came from, but here's a possibility. When someone referred to Katy as drunk, I said we had no idea whether she had more than one drink or if someone slipped her a mickey. I wasn't suggesting anyone had...but was just defending her from being called drunk and from the implication that it caused her probable demise. My point was that we didn't have enough information to state that she was impaired at all. I guess my comment was misinterpreted or misread. It certainly could be a tragic accident.

WHO?
Link.
Or nothing.

They have already confirmed there was no foul play so speculation about ghb is ridiculous and irresponsible.

Irresponsible and disrespectful as well as well as insensitive.

Enough of it I say.++

Tragic.

May she rest eternally.

MOO

WHO?
Link.
Or nothing.

I believe that was directed at my post. From my experience when someone spends an evening drinking in a bar, they are usually impaired when they leave. That comes from my personal experience. My dad was an alcoholic. More then once the cops came to our house, to tell my mother that they had found my dad laying on the sidewalk “again” bleeding from his head, and she should go to the Emergency Room and pick him up.

Like it or not, drinking alcohol impairs your abilities. People really shouldn’t be driving, walking or riding a bike after consuming any amount of alcohol. The argument that she only had one drink, sounds improbable. That sounds like something, someone would tell a cop when they get stopped for DUI. “I only had one or two drinks”. Yeah, right.

The first time I read the details of this case, there was no doubt in my mind that she fell off the bridge. Other posters here had already pegged that would have been the location of her last text.

I just started following this thread, because yesterday I was in Newport, OR and saw quite a few of the missing persons posters up for this case.

My thoughts. A drunk woman, late at night, walking along the sea wall, while texting about the moon over the ocean, is a disaster waiting to happen. People fall into the water and drown all the time here.

Summer drownings, 2006-present

I believe that was directed at my post. From my experience when someone spends an evening drinking in a bar, they are usually impaired when they leave. That comes from my personal experience. My dad was an alcoholic. More then once the cops came to our house, to tell my mother that they had found my dad laying on the sidewalk “again” bleeding from his head, and she should go to the Emergency Room and pick him up.

Like it or not, drinking alcohol impairs your abilities. People really shouldn’t be driving, walking or riding a bike after consuming any amount of alcohol. The argument that she only had one drink, sounds improbable. That sounds like something, someone would tell a cop when they get stopped for DUI. “I only had one or two drinks”. Yeah, right.

The first time I read the details of this case, there was no doubt in my mind that she fell off the bridge. Other posters here had already pegged that would have been the location of her last text.

At this point, it doesn't matter how much she drank, imo. The bottom line is that she is dead and her family deserves respect and sympathy.

I do understand where you're coming from though, my dad is also an alcoholic. :-/

I am glad for her family's sake she was found...RIP young lady..... we will more then likely never know what happened, but I hope it was fast ....So very sad...IMHO

I am glad for her family's sake she was found...RIP young lady..... we will more then likely never know what happened, but I hope it was fast ....So very sad...IMHO

I'm glad for her family too. What a terrible loss. But it seems they can decide she was sitting on a rock looking at the moon, and enjoying the view, when a horrible wave washed her over into the sea and she drowned within 5 minutes. That seems to me what is the most likely outcome.

edited to add: So I was swimming on a beach in Bermuda, and I was being crashed against the rocks and was helpless to stop it, a complete stranger ran down the shore and helped me out. I wouldn't be here today if he didn't see my plight. Katy didn't have anyone to help rescue her in the wee hours of the morning.

WHO?
Link.
Or nothing.

Sorry about the confusion. The original poster I was referencing in my post has replied to you. I was deliberately vague about "who", trying to be tactful for a change :) and simply explaining to you the inadvertent part I may have played in the GHB discussion.

I have always thought that Katy's disappearance was most likely due to a tragic accident.

I do think it was more than likely a accident but jeez what are the chances. One foot in the wrong place I imagine. I am angry at this world.

Katy Roe’s autopsy complete; results under investigation

PORTLAND — The Oregon State Police Medical Examiner’s office completed the autopsy on Katherine “Katy” Roe, although the official cause of death of the Depoe Bay woman has not yet been determined.

Deputy State Medical Examiner Christopher Young said Friday, May 6, that Roe’s autopsy had been finished, but the results are still under investigation.

U.S. Coast Guard Station Depoe Bay personnel discovered Roe’s body in the ocean just outside Depoe Bay Harbor on Thursday, May 5 at 5 a.m.

Katy Roe’s autopsy complete; results under investigation

"There were no obvious indications of foul play, and the body’s condition was consistent with having been in the water since her disappearance"

But still under investigation means, by my experience, awaiting the toxicology results which could take some time. If there were ligature, a blow to the head, etc., not always obvious, it would be concluded after the autopsy. Investigating means waiting on tox and DNA possibly.

MOO

"There were no obvious indications of foul play, and the body’s condition was consistent with having been in the water since her disappearance"

But still under investigation means, by my experience, awaiting the toxicology results which could take some time. If there were ligature, a blow to the head, etc., not always obvious, it would be concluded after the autopsy. Investigating means waiting on tox and DNA possibly.

MOO

The statement about "no obvious indications of foul play" was issued before the autopsy, I think. I find it curious that they say the autopsy results are under investigation. If it were a simple drowning, I feel like they would say that. Rest in Peace Katy.

The statement about "no obvious indications of foul play" was issued before the autopsy, I think. I find it curious that they say the autopsy results are under investigation. If it were a simple drowning, I feel like they would say that. Rest in Peace Katy.
BBM

You're right that they made the comment about "no obvious indications of foul play" before the autopsy. I'm glad they're being thorough and perhaps waiting on toxicology and DNA before making a final COD decision, but I find it curious too. Perhaps it wasn't obvious that she drowned, and I wonder if that's due to the length of time she was in the water. I suspect we'll never know the "method of death"...how she ended up in the water. Poor Katy. :(

Her poor grandmother. I feel so badly for her :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If there were no signs of traumatic injury or trauma, it would seem that she entered the water from the beach, rather than falling down the rocks somehow. I'm also thinking that a sneaker wave would have tossed her around and battered her, but perhaps not. However she got into the water, she drowned and it's a tragedy. :(
+
http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-n...f/2016/05/missing_depoe_bay_woman_22_app.html

"Toxicology results are pending."

Only because people were speculating, But I also think the wave got her like so many others.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paperdoll1
Back