OR OR - Kelly James (dead), Brian Hall, 37, Jerry Cooke, 36, Mt. Hood Climbers, Dec 2006

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Floh said:
Earlier in the day, friends and relatives of Hall and Cooke flew over Oregon's tallest peak in what one searcher characterized as a "farewell flight."

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/US/12/20/missing.climbers.ap/index.html

Yeah. that was the sentence which did it for me. floods of tears here. :(

same here, those words are haunting --

in such a short period of time this country has lost 4 outstanding, decent men... it is just profoundly tragic. i hope the families can find some peace somehow. my goodness, i keep thinking of kati kim hearing all this on the news, it must be horrible for her to hear the details of hyperthermia,exposure etc spelled out over & over again.

Lurker Steve said:
So no one with a family should ever put themselves in a dangerous situation - be it climbing, skydiving, or serving in the military?

If I cared about my family, then, no, I wouldn't. It's just plain selfish.

There's a big difference between defending your country and going out there doing something very stupid and risky for your own personal high. When people grow up, hopefully they have the common sense to avoid such situations, but many don't. They are just too consumed with doing these crazy things.

luvbeaches said:
If I cared about my family, then, no, I wouldn't. It's just plain selfish.

There's a big difference between defending your country and going out there doing something very stupid and risky for your own personal high. When people grow up, hopefully they have the common sense to avoid such situations, but many don't. They are just too consumed with doing these crazy things.
But what about Nascar drivers that risk there lives every time the get in the car. Or football players that risk erey play?What is the difference. They do it because they love to. And the families were alright with it. Heck Skiing is dangerous.

When a race car driver has a bad crash, well there he is, pick him up take him to the ER etc.

Football player has a bad tackle injury, team mates come to his rescue ASAP, load him on a gurney and off to the ER.

When mountain climbers do something extremely dangerous and suffer from it, out come oceans of good people to search and rescue them endangering many many peoples lives, helicopters flying in dangerous conditions to rescue the climber in life threatening conditios.

It would seem to me at least that the consequences of a persons actions, prior to them undertaking such dangerous things should be of prime concern for them for OTHER people.

IF the only person to be hurt is YOU, then do whatever you wish, have at it.

Nascar crashes, have insurance to cover the driver, football players as well.

A person with a pick axe and equipment for mountain climbing has no such insurance that I know or, IF IF they did, I suspect it would be QUITE expensive. IF IF that would be a requirement that they have such insurance, that would make it most likely prohibitive, IF IF a person were using their heads and pocketbooks as well.

Hmmm.

Buzzm1 said:
MOUNT HOOD, Ore. - As the rescue effort continues on Mount Hood, so do the costs, which some critics are saying is way too much.

Sheriff Joe Wampler with the Hood River County Sheriff's Office has said all along that he is not looking at the cost of the rescue, he is looking for the men. One of them, 48-year-old Kelly James, was found dead in a snow cave over the weekend. The two others, 37-year-old Brian Hall and 36-year-old Jerry Cooke, remain missing.

Rosie O'Donnell and her co-hosts kicked off 'The View' Tuesday with the hot topic of the missing climbers on Mount Hood.

Rosie O'Donnell: "I read in the papers that over $2.5 million the search has cost so far to find these three men."

http://www.katu.com/news/local/4968916.html

i find this outrageous and extremely poorly timed.i understand free speech and everybody has the right to their own opinions but these comments seems incredibly insensitive at this time...

addt'l snip:
Rosie O'Donnell and her co-hosts kicked off 'The View' Tuesday with the hot topic of the missing climbers on Mount Hood.

Rosie O'Donnell: "I read in the papers that over $2.5 million the search has cost so far to find these three men."

Jacque Reid, Guest Co-Host: "Here they are, they knew the storm was coming and they still opted to go out and who should pay the cost?"

Rosie O'Donnell: "What warrants 27 helicopters and 1,000 people looking? I just don't understand."

Joy Behar: "Send this team over to New Orleans and fix that situation."

I cant help but wonder how rosie would feel if it were her wife lost & stranded and as far as joy's comments on new orleans, its ridiculous, 1 has nothing to do with the other, its apples & oranges.
celebrities have the power to affect may people's thinking, it's fine if she doesnt agree, but instead of compaining about the funds spent, maybe she/they could have encouraged their fans and/or viewers to perhaps somehow contribute to the SAR. better yet, they could easily contribute with $$, supplies, etc. i guess my point is that they could have said something a bit more proactive
sorry if this offends anyone, but reading these comments infuriated me.
JMO

Where are they coming up with that figure? Everything I have heard is that almost all the time and equipment was DONATED. That might be an estimate of the value of everyone's time and equipment but I thought the sheriff said the actual costs had only been $5,000-$6,000 a day. (Not insignificant but $60K is quite bit different then $2.5M!)

Rosie O'Donnell: "What warrants 27 helicopters and 1,000 people looking? I just don't understand."
I agree Mikesmom...I think it's more than insensitive. My answer to her above question would be:

"What warrants a sometimes-funny woman with anger issues to make millions of dollars a year? I just dont understand."

missingclimbers.jpg

Rest in Peace, Kelly, Jerry and Brian.

tuppence --
i have no idea where they come up with these figures, i do know that as far as helicopters/chinnoks they said that they would chalk up the costs as "training". in other words, if they werent at hood, they would likely be elsewhere on training missions, now i dont know if that is accurate or not, but regardless, it is just not their place to make these comments especially on a day that i suspect many of us knew that we would likely hear the search is suspended.

julianna -- yes, i too felt it was "more than insensitive", but i tried to keep my opinion in check only because i just started to post and if i really wrote what i thought, you guys would be saying "who is that mom from ny with the truck driver mouth?"

their comments are outrageous, uncalled for and worse, broadcast to millions, including family, loved ones and friends of these men to hear.

Ca-Sun said:
missingclimbers.jpg

Rest in Peace, Kelly, Jerry and Brian.

Oh, bloody hell, but you got me in the heart again, Ca-Sun1 with that beautiful set of pictures blended.

I know that this is not popular, but I think that the families should bear at least some of the cost of the search for their loved ones who voluntarily went on this dangerous hike.

Floh said:
Oh, bloody hell, but you got me in the heart again, Ca-Sun1 with that beautiful set of pictures blended.

Me, too, Floh. Ca-Sun, that is a great pic.

If Rosie or Joy's fat butts or those of their loved ones were missing, they'd want all the stops pulled out for themselves. :banghead: :banghead:

My heart breaks for the families of all three men. What a terrible tragedy to endure. My heart aches for the 3 men.

I do not think much of the issue of cost of the rescue. For I am nieve and prefer to stay that way. Material cost is an issue of our own choosing.
Rescuers could donate their time and energy. Equipment owners could donate their equpiment. People with helpful knowledge could donate their knowledge. Material cost only need be ascribed if we choose to do so. The big question I have is should they donate at all?? I worry about all the risk to the rescuers. I worry about what if a helicopter goes down, or rescuers on foot are overcome by an avalance. Should other humans be risking their lives for those who choose to put their lives in danger?? I do not pass judgment on someone's decision to participate in such a risky sport but I do wonder if those participants
should be rescued at the risk of others. I watched the show on tv last nigth where the man with no legs climbed Everest. I was angered by the risk he put on others by needing so much assistance to get down the mountain. I was ashamed of the anger I felt, but I felt it. My instinct is always to help my fellow man. I believe that help also extends to not putting my fellow man at unneceary risk.

mjak

nanandjim said:
I know that this is not popular, but I think that the families should bear at least some of the cost of the search for their loved ones who voluntarily went on this dangerous hike.
The families have set up a fund for SAR where people can donate - they provided meals to SAR and have done several other things. SAR teams train all the time and are all volunteers who share a passion for mountain climbing. They want to be there if they are needed and they also want to know that should they need to be rescued, people will be around to rescue them.

englishleigh said:
If Rosie or Joy's fat butts or those of their loved ones were missing, they'd want all the stops pulled out for themselves. :banghead: :banghead:
You bet they would - in a heartbeat. These three men were doing what they loved, and then things worked against them. Now they are gone, their families are heartbroken and Rosie is bitching about the freakin' cost??? Not everything can or should be measured in dollars and cents.

exactly my point, it almost defies human decency to even mention the cost particularly on this day, undoubtedly 1 of the worst days of all for the families.

nan - i dont think your view is unreasonable at all, it is a very touchy subject but you do raise a valid point, they took the dangerous climb on their own accord.i just didnt think it should be complained about on national tv on of all days, today.

mjak -- i see your point as well, but the volunteer searchers are just very, very special people, completely selfless --- i dont think anything or anyone could stop them in their efforts to search for their fellow climbers.

mikesmom1989 said:
...nan - i dont think your view is unreasonable at all, it is a very touchy subject but you do raise a valid point, they took the dangerous climb on their own accord.i just didnt think it should be complained about on national tv on of all days, today...
I agree. Timing is everything. It would be much more appropriate for officials to meet (behind the scenes) and discuss alternatives. Perhaps, after this tragedy has passed, they could hold some "town" meetings to discuss.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Puddy
Back