OR OR - Kelly James (dead), Brian Hall, 37, Jerry Cooke, 36, Mt. Hood Climbers, Dec 2006

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
j2mirish said:
oh my--- why did you have to bring gwb into this --. LOLOL--

I know where you usually come from,, and I dont usually disagee with you-
I just thought the rescue team looking for these folks, as futal as it probably is-- didnt need the cost brought into it--- thats all--
I know all the other thoughts on money spent, and that is why brought up some of the things i did that I do not think we need to spend money on----but we do---over and over and over and over and over again-- with no outcome$$$$$$
We need solutions j2mirish. For instance, if they want to escalate the executions here in CA, or maybe we can just have one state to do all of the U.S.'s execution--I would vote for that state to be Texas; they seem to move them right through the system, and out the door on a slab.

One state to house all of the prisoners in the U.S.; I would certainly recommmend Sheriff Joe in AZ; he could cut costs dramatically--with the increase in coffee bean prices, look at all the money he is saving.

kahskye said:
Scandi, I too think you're close w/ this summation. I guess I just question why Kelly didn't call 911 if he saw his buddies fall to their death? Maybe w/ the upcoming storm, he saw no way of rescue?
Hi Kahskye,
I read this on a link posted here, it is about the phone call Kelly made to his son;

link

He learned his dad was dug into a cave on the northern face of Mount Hood near the summit. Half an orange remained in his food supply, he was lying on his backpack to stay off the snow, and he was weak, cold and wet.
"He just said he was exhausted, and that's why he was stuck there," Jason James said.

The 48-year-old landscape architect offered "delirious" answers when asked about his climbing partners.

"He said Brian was in town looking for help and Nikko was on an airplane," Jason James said.

JDB said:
J2 Have you not noticed everything is politics.The main thing is these guys died doing what they loved.And guess what the cost is no as much as we have heard. These were volunteers with vaction days to do this.
thank you jdb---I agree they died doing what they loved, and there should be no $ put in a comment about looking for them--- is it money spent for nothing--- probably- but they are worth looking for just in case--- and just because--

j2mirish said:
Originally Posted by j2mirish
oh my--- why did you have to bring gwb into this --. LOLOL--

I know where you usually come from,, and I dont usually disagee with you-
I just thought the rescue team looking for these folks, as futal as it probably is-- didnt need the cost brought into it--- thats all--
I know all the other thoughts on money spent, and that is why brought up some of the things i did that I do not think we need to spend money on----but we do---over and over and over and over and over again-- with no outcome$$$$$$

Buzzm1 said:
We need solutions j2mirish. For instance, if they want to escalate the executions here in CA, or maybe we can just have one state to do all of the U.S.'s execution--I would vote for that state to be Texas; they seem to move them right through the system, and out the door on a slab.

One state to house all of the prisoners in the U.S.; I would certainly recommmend Sheriff Joe in AZ; he could cut costs dramatically--with the increase in coffee bean prices, look at all the money he is saving.
buzz--- we were talking about gentlemen more than likely dead on a mountain-- you brought up the cost looking for them-- I simply referred to money being spent elswhere for other things in comparision :confused:

‘Whatever the search takes …’
‘Wind wall’ hampers efforts to
find trio lost on Mt. Hood

The Hood River County Sheriff’s Office has experienced a hectic week orchestrating a high-profile search for three missing climbers.

By Thursday, the agency had spent almost $23,000 on manpower, fuel and supplies. However, Chief Deputy Jerry Brown said now is not the time to worry about the hit these expenditures have taken on the 2006-07 budget.

“The sheriff doesn’t put a cost on a human life. Whatever the search takes, it takes,” said Brown
Sheriff Joe Wampler allocated $14,000 for search and rescue operations this fiscal year. Brown said the money to repay that fund will likely be transferred from an account to replace equipment.

However, he said several financial offers have come from “sources outside the state” so he remains hopeful that, at the end of the day, the shortfall will be repaid.

http://www.hoodrivernews.com/News stories/100_news_2.htm

I feel heartbroken over the loss of these 3 great guys, and my post was heartfelt. Thank you for such a nice response, j2mirish.

I agree with you. To bring up the costs of the SAR efforts at this time, comes off as a bit callous, cold, and insensitive; especially to those with personal involvement, imo.

Liz said:
I feel heartbroken over the loss of these 3 great guys, and my post was heartfelt. Thank you for such a nice response, j2mirish.

I agree with you. To bring up the costs of the SAR efforts at this time, comes off as a bit callous, cold, and insensitive; especially to those with personal involvement, imo.
y/w :blowkiss:

kahskye said:
Scandi, I too think you're close w/ this summation. I guess I just question why Kelly didn't call 911 if he saw his buddies fall to their death? Maybe w/ the upcoming storm, he saw no way of rescue?

I thought there was a call from his phone made to 911 on Sunday but I haven't had time to go back and track it. There was some reason it didn't go through, and it could have been because it was a text message or the line went dead. Anyone remember that.

Where I'm having trouble with my theory is from the small cave where the 2 axes and cut rope etc were, it is down 100' in elevation from the nicely made cave where they slept and Kelly was found, plus the distance over to that spot. Could Kelly have made this climb and treked over to the other cave? I don't think he was that hypothermic at that time, only having been on their climb for a day and a half, so maybe he followed his tracks back.

For me, the only explaination for the cut rope is that Kelly was there, self arrested after the other 2 went over the cliff, held arrest and used his axe to cut the rope in two. Wish I knew nore, but read at CC where climbers have been in similar situations and were able to hold the arrest,

Liz said:

As usual you are always up there with a big huge heart. I know what you have meant to me. My daughter has had a very serious condition with an extended hospital stay and her hospital bill alone was $577,000. I could never in a million years say that she wasn't worth it. From a personal standpoint and with the possibility of a great loss, this is what binds us together.

We stand together and we help, love and support even when it is dire. We do this as a great community...a worldwide community. There isn't a person in this world that doesn't command this attention. We have to care and we have to be there. We have to show and act on the humanity or our civility becomes profit and loss for the Walmarts of the world.

Remember the old saying...It takes a village to raise a child? I truly believe this is where we are and what we have to do. All of us, adults and children take care of each other.

:blowkiss: concernedperson ---

My prayers continue for you and your DD, sweetie.

concernedperson said:
As usual you are always up there with a big huge heart. I know what you have meant to me. My daughter has had a very serious condition with an extended hospital stay and her hospital bill alone was $577,000. I could never in a million years say that she wasn't worth it. From a personal standpoint and with the possibility of a great loss, this is what binds us together.

We stand together and we help, love and support even when it is dire. We do this as a great community...a worldwide community. There isn't a person in this world that doesn't command this attention. We have to care and we have to be there. We have to show and act on the humanity or our civility becomes profit and loss for the Walmarts of the world.

Remember the old saying...It takes a village to raise a child? I truly believe this is where we are and what we have to do. All of us, adults and children take care of each other.
Dear CC, Yes CC, Your daughter is worth that much and more. We are all of the same race, the human race. All of us are really sisters and brothers when it comes right down to it... all of us. I'll add you & your sweet daughter to our prayers. :blowkiss: Love your post.

dark_shadows said:
Hi Kahskye,
I read this on a link posted here, it is about the phone call Kelly made to his son;

link

He learned his dad was dug into a cave on the northern face of Mount Hood near the summit. Half an orange remained in his food supply, he was lying on his backpack to stay off the snow, and he was weak, cold and wet.
"He just said he was exhausted, and that's why he was stuck there," Jason James said.

The 48-year-old landscape architect offered "delirious" answers when asked about his climbing partners.

"He said Brian was in town looking for help and Nikko was on an airplane," Jason James said.
Thanks dark_shadows, I did read that over on the cascade forum before they shut it down. Never having experienced a situation like Kelly was in, it's just hard to understand why he didn't tell his family he was in serious trouble. I know I'd want to tell my family how much I loved them, but then again I'm not totally understanding what it would be like to be is such a delirious state of mind. He was probably also in some state of shock if he had witnessed the other two falling. I just get sick over this and thinking what he must have gone through alone.

scandi said:
I thought there was a call from his phone made to 911 on Sunday but I haven't had time to go back and track it. There was some reason it didn't go through, and it could have been because it was a text message or the line went dead. Anyone remember that.
I thought I read that too, but I still question why he didn't say anything to his family? Maybe he didn't want them to worry, or maybe he was going in and out of reality and could only think of telling them he was exhausted. I'm so upset about the outcome of these hikers. I never knew any of them, yet part of me really really hurts right now for their loss and especially for their families loss.

kahskye said:
Never having experienced a situation like Kelly was in, it's just hard to understand why he didn't tell his family he was in serious trouble.
Hey Kahskye,
I hope this helps. It is from the conversation with his son.
Also in the article,this was stated;

The veteran climber told his son he was not injured, but family members believe he was trying to shield them from the gravity of his situation.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

Yes, it is a hard one Kahskye. Now when I realize that almost from first learning about their being missing 2 of the climbers were most likely already dead and the coroner said Kelly didn't live long after Sunday.

I was so sure these guys were going to walk off this mountain.

BTW, there are 2 interesting things I found over at CC and I'll bring links over. One is photos taken by a SAR member of their working on the mountain during their seach, and it was interesting to see photos of the cave they built for instance.

The other one is a post written by Jerry's partner when they climbed Mt Ranier last year in July, and the partner of Jerry suddenly slips into a cravasse. It is so scary - unbelievable, but I sure have learned alot about mountaineering. :D

SAR photos:
http://flickr.com/photos/nickpope/sets/72157594427278113/

kahskye said:
Thanks dark_shadows, I did read that over on the cascade forum before they shut it down. Never having experienced a situation like Kelly was in, it's just hard to understand why he didn't tell his family he was in serious trouble. I know I'd want to tell my family how much I loved them, but then again I'm not totally understanding what it would be like to be is such a delirious state of mind. He was probably also in some state of shock if he had witnessed the other two falling. I just get sick over this and thinking what he must have gone through alone.

I can help on state of mind. My daughter has been through a bad situation with a lot of memory loss. She had a visitor and was cognizant. She doesn't remember this person at all after being on a vent for days. Think about drugs inducing sedation or weather inducing similar situations. She would have been very active in discussion if she had any control of the situation. He didn't and he didn't know the difference.

There are things out of our control sometimes.

kahskye said:
I thought I read that too, but I still question why he didn't say anything to his family? Maybe he didn't want them to worry, or maybe he was going in and out of reality and could only think of telling them he was exhausted. I'm so upset about the outcome of these hikers. I never knew any of them, yet part of me really really hurts right now for their loss and especially for their families loss.
I never knew any of them either, yet I got to emotionally into this whole story. I just really hate the outcome so very much. It is simply horrendous. I always thought they would be found alive and well when the story first broke. God bless their souls and their families.

concernedperson said:

CP.....you little :angel: .

You are in our thoughts and prayers.
Much Love and Respect to you and yours,
dark_shadows

Weather

Tonight: Rain and snow.

Snow: Sleet and freezing rain hood river valley until around 2 am...then rain and snow after midnight. Windy. Snow level 4500 feet after midnight. Snow accumulation 4 to 8 inches. Pass winds south 15 to 30 mph.

Thursday: Snow...then showers likely in the afternoon. Snow level 3000 feet. Snow accumulation up to 4 inches. Pass winds southwest 10 to 20 mph.

Thursday night: Snow showers likely. Snow level 2000 feet rising to 2500 feet after midnight. Snow accumulation up to 5 inches. Pass winds southwest 10 to 15 mph shifting to the southeast 5 to 10 mph after midnight. Gusts to 30 mph.

Friday: Partly sunny. A slight chance of snow showers in the morning. Snow level 2500 feet. Pass winds southwest 5 to 10 mph.

Friday night: Mostly cloudy. Windy. Free air freezing level 4000 feet. Pass winds southeast 15 to 30 mph.

Saturday: Rain likely. Breezy. Snow level 4500 feet.

Saturday night: Snow showers likely and a chance of showers. Snow level 4000 feet.

Sunday: Mostly cloudy with a chance of showers. Snow level 4000 feet.

Sunday night: Rain likely. Snow level 5000 feet.

Christmas day: Rain likely. Snow level 4500 feet.

Monday night: Showers likely. Snow level 4500 feet.

Tuesday: Mostly cloudy with a chance of showers. Snow level 3500 feet.

Tuesday night: Mostly cloudy with a chance of showers. Snow level 3500 feet.

Wednesday: Mostly cloudy with a chance of showers. Snow level 3500 feet.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Puddy
Back