OR OR - Kelly James (dead), Brian Hall, 37, Jerry Cooke, 36, Mt. Hood Climbers, Dec 2006

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
scandi said:
Thanks Ca-Sun, Reading the last SAR post at CC, there is info that can not be made public at this time. Had they climbed Hood before it would have helped, Hood itself can turn very bad quickly aside from the fact climbing is a very dangerous sport and he questions why they decided to keep climbing when they had to know the ultimate dangers they faced.

He made these comments based on everything they found. I think it is a pretty good assesment of the situation. Scandi
I read that too, Scandi. It was a very good assessment. I just wish with all my heart things would have turned out differently. I feel particularly heartsick for the 2 families that have no closure. I can't imagine what they are going through knowing the 2 men are burried somewhere on the mountain, and there has to be some glimmer of hope that they are alive, even though that isn't realistic.

Ca-Sun said:
Buzz, this isn't quite the information you are looking for, but I found it interesting. It was posted on CC.
"The last weather report I'd seen on Wednesday eve made it look like Thursday was the last decent day for some time." They didn't begin the ascent until Friday.
OK Sun, I'll agree that they made their Final Ascent on Friday, but they began their ascent on Thursday when they left the Tilly Jane trailhead parking lot.

Buzzm1 said:
OK Sun, I'll agree that they made their Final Ascent on Friday, but they began their ascent on Thursday when they left the Tilly Jane trailhead parking lot.
Finally! :clap: That seems to be correct.

Ca-Sun said:
]Was it foolish and selfish of us to want to surf? No. Not at all. But, accidents happen.[/font][/color]

That's a decision you have to make.

My opinion is that these men were foolish and it cost them their lives. Yes, accidents happen, but they pushed the envelope this time and they lost. I feel sorry for anyone who has a loved one who thinks they have to do all this extreme stuff. They may have died doing what they loved, but I'd have to ask don't they love their family more, and therefore why put yourself in such a risky situation.

This is my opinion. You have yours. I respect that. We are going to have to leave it at this.

If you look at this photo and see the sliding tracks on that ledge of two climbers, who evidently were sitting down when the wind took them over the edge, it tells a story for me.

The anchor these men made was above this ledge I read at CC, and they had a rig on this netting to attached their rope/s.

y-shape_rotated.jpg

luvbeaches said:
Climbing up that mountain, in the dead of winter, without the proper equipment, is not wise. And they died.
How exactly do you know they were climbing without the proper equipment?

And why do you think climbing in winter is bad? Should they be climbing through ice and snow when it is warm and it is starting to defrost?

I know you have the right to an opinion, but when you spew uninformed opinion as "facts", then I'm going to call you on it.

Ca-Sun said:
I read that too, Scandi. It was a very good assessment. I just wish with all my heart things would have turned out differently. I feel particularly heartsick for the 2 families that have no closure. I can't imagine what they are going through knowing the 2 men are burried somewhere on the mountain, and there has to be some glimmer of hope that they are alive, even though that isn't realistic.

I can't say how exactly I would react but I think I'd get a little comfort knowing two good friends were together. I would think that glimmer of hope will fade quickly. What would have been worse, imo is if they did not find the first climber after he'd died alone. I'm so glad they found him and wish they'd found the other two.

scandi said:
If you look at this photo and see the sliding tracks on that ledge of two climbers, who evidently were sitting down when the wind took them over the edge, it tells a story for me.

The anchor these men made was above this ledge I read at CC, and they had a rig on this netting to attached their rope/s.

y-shape_rotated.jpg

I'm not seeing what you're seeing...help!

Lurker Steve said:
How exactly do you know they were climbing without the proper equipment?

And why do you think climbing in winter is bad? Should they be climbing through ice and snow when it is warm and it is starting to defrost?

I know you have the right to an opinion, but when you spew uninformed opinion as "facts", then I'm going to call you on it.

It's been reported on the news all day that they didn't have the things they needed to spend the night there. They didn't plan on spending the night there...which was a tragic mistake on their part. Now whether or not this is true or not (you can't believe everything you hear on the news), it still does not change my mind. These daredevils often lose their lives doing something they "love." I am glad my hubby loves me and the kids and wouldn't dream of putting his life on the line for a thrill.

What part of "my opinion" don't you get? It's also been reported (over and over) that few people choose to climb this particular mountain in the winter because of the weather factor. And to go there ill-prepared for the possibility for a weather change is stupid.

IMO, these guys were foolish, and it cost them their lives. If you think this sort of thing is something that's fine to do...so be it. I don't care. But my opinion for me is they were foolish. Like JFK junior taking off when he did at night...that cost him his life and was a very foolish mistake. But a lot of risk-takers do this sort of thing. Many times it ends up killing them.

You must be the type of guy who would do this because you seem to get very worked up over what I am saying. It's just my opinion. It doesn't have to be the same as yours. I am not trying to change your opinion. This is a forum. Lordy, get over it. "Call me on it." LOL Are you the hall moniter? You seem to take this awfully personally.

I don't care if they had all the equipment they needed, it's still stupid to do what they did. Maybe I don't get it because I don't need to do things like that to get high on life.

However, that being said, I feel so sad for their families.

I would like to jump in here and say that I heard on the news last night that the best time to climb Mt. Hood IS in the WINTER! This was from a climber. He was being asked if they were foolish for going up there this time of year, and he said NO, it's the best time. I think it was on Greta that I saw this. I think it's sad that this happened. I don't think people should be arguing whether or not they should have been there or if it was irresponsible. If their spouses didn't have a problem with it, who are we to judge their actions?

MrsMush99 said:
I don't think people should be arguing whether or not they should have been there or if it was irresponsible. If their spouses didn't have a problem with it, who are we to judge their actions?

It is ultimately their decision to do this sort of thing (the climbing). The big problem I have is that when people take risks, and something goes wrong, then the people who have to rescue them are put at risk. Remember the helicopter that crashed while trying to rescue the other climbers?

I was merely voicing my opinion on this issue. It is a forum afterall. I think I have the right to speak about my feelings concerning this issue, just as much as you do.

I still think they were foolish. And I will never in a million years understand why anyone would do anything risky (this included). One poster said something about their children being grown...so I guess then it's okay to do these things...but the one guy had a child that was 12. He's a baby.

But as much as I feel the way I do...I really feel nothing but sadness for the climbers and their families.

MrsMush99 said:
I would like to jump in here and say that I heard on the news last night that the best time to climb Mt. Hood IS in the WINTER! This was from a climber. He was being asked if they were foolish for going up there this time of year, and he said NO, it's the best time. I think it was on Greta that I saw this. I think it's sad that this happened. I don't think people should be arguing whether or not they should have been there or if it was irresponsible. If their spouses didn't have a problem with it, who are we to judge their actions?
How about their children? I know that Kelly James' children were grown, but did either of the others leave young children behind?

If any of them left young children behind, I'm sure these kids want to have daddy tucking them in at night, and aren't comforted by daddy dying doing what he loved best.

Pepper said:
How about their children? I know that Kelly James' children were grown, but did either of the others leave young children behind?

If any of them left young children behind, I'm sure these kids want to have daddy tucking them in at night, and aren't comforted by daddy dying doing what he loved best.

Kelly's children range in age from 12-25. I'm watching Karen's interview with Katie Couric right now....she's a strong woman and I admire her strength. She is not angry....Kelly was a seize the day kind of guy and loved life.

Pepper said:

Neither Brian Hall nor Jerry Cooke have children.

Pepper said:

Katie Couric was just talking with Karen James and they said their children were 12-25 or 26.

I think the "seize the moment" thing is a cop out. Sometimes you need to just put someone else ahead of you...like your children. You're right...would imagine that those kids are comforted by the fact that daddy was doing what daddy loved.

Edited to change the name to Karen. I made an error in posting, and another poster made fun of the post.

Ca-Sun said:
Wow! Katie is really good to be able to talk with Kelly.

You know, just because we don't agree doesn't mean you have to be so flippant about it. It was a typo. Do you think his death is funny? You seem so gleeful. Yikes. :(

Along with disagreeing with you about what's dangerous and what's not...we seem to not share the same humor. I don't think there's anything remotely funny about his death. But you sure jumped on it.

But the bottom line is this...My thoughts and prayers are with the families at this time and I don't think your comment was approriate for what's going on at this point in time. It's hardly the time to be smarmy.

Ca-Sun said:
Wow! Katie is really good to be able to talk with Kelly.

Kelly and Karen attend the church i used to go to. they are good people.

think the tone of that remark is way out of line for the situation.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Puddy
Back