OR OR - Kelly James (dead), Brian Hall, 37, Jerry Cooke, 36, Mt. Hood Climbers, Dec 2006

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
luvbeaches said:
It is ultimately their decision to do this sort of thing (the climbing). The big problem I have is that when people take risks, and something goes wrong, then the people who have to rescue them are put at risk. Remember the helicopter that crashed while trying to rescue the other climbers?

I was merely voicing my opinion on this issue. It is a forum afterall. I think I have the right to speak about my feelings concerning this issue, just as much as you do.

I still think they were foolish. And I will never in a million years understand why anyone would do anything risky (this included). One poster said something about their children being grown...so I guess then it's okay to do these things...but the one guy had a child that was 12. He's a baby.

But as much as I feel the way I do...I really feel nothing but sadness for the climbers and their families.
I'm not a risk taker by nature. So that aspect of it I don't understand. I mean I won't even go on a roller coaster because I know there is a small chance I can die on it. That's how bad I am. Climbing a mountain would never happen in my lifetime. This is way before I even had children. I don't like to fly either. I'm just a big chicken. BUT my husband goes on roller coasters and flies on airplanes without me (of course I've been on an airplane, but I HATE it). And if he wanted to climb mountains I would support him. Life is too short not to enjoy it however you enjoy it. If it is your time to go, it is your time to go, wether it be on a mountain or in a car. That's truly what I believe. I know that doesn't make sense since I'm a big chicken, but I just don't want to die THAT way. Am I making any sense? I don't think they were irresponsible because it was their time to go.

MrsMush99 said:
If it is your time to go, it is your time to go, wether it be on a mountain or in a car. That's truly what I believe. I know that doesn't make sense since I'm a big chicken, but I just don't want to die THAT way. Am I making any sense? I don't think they were irresponsible because it was their time to go.

I do see your point.

I'm also a big chicken, and have been even more so since we had children. We just don't take risks. I know things can and do happen, and when it's your time, I suppose it's your time.

For the life of me, I just don't understand people doing this sort of thing. I really don't. But to each their own. We all have to live our lives how we choose....and obviously we all have different ideas on what we'd do or not do. I just would never do anything like what these young men did.

All I can do is send my thoughts and prayers to their families.

izzyB said:
Kelly and Katie attend the church i used to go to. they are good people.

think the tone of that remark is way out of line for the situation.
Izzy, my post was in no way meant to be disrespectful to Kelly James. I am so very saddened by the tragedy. Everything I've read shows what a wonderful, caring person he was, and loved by so many.

I am bothered by people calling him selfish, foolish, and other things simply because they disagree with what he did. Anyway, I deleted my reply.

Without great individuals born with the Spirit of Adventure where would we be in this world today. Who would have sailed the sea's? Scaled the mountains, maped the rivers and landed on the moon?

i agree with luvbeaches. and i do think that 'extreme' mountain climbers (for one) do have a certain addiction to high-stakes risk-taking, or need to push the limits of survival, some could say it's a chemical addiction. what do you wanna bet that if these guys were rescued, then asked, 'are you going to keep mountain climing?', they would have said, 'you betcha we will!' (which is what usually happens in these situations). that being said, i think that rescuers also are in love with the challenge of being able to find lost people, there is something in their brains that drives them too. so maybe they are cut from the same cloth. but they can only do so much.

let me put this another way: if someone were addicted to the high of jumping in front of a train- and back, just a second before it would hit them, and they did it 100 times, and got hit on the 100+1st time- i wouldn't be surprised, or see it as a great epic tragedy.

Ca-Sun said:
Izzy, my post was in no way meant to be disrespectful to Kelly James. I am so very saddened by the tragedy. Everything I've read shows what a wonderful, caring person he was, and loved by so many.

I am bothered by people calling him selfish, foolish, and other things simply because they disagree with what he did. Anyway, I deleted my reply.

Well, it was disrespectful. You seized the moment to make your feelings be known.

He may have been a wonderful, caring person. I am not disputing that. I am however saying that I do not understand why people take chances like this. And it's not just him. I don't get it and I never will.

You may be bothered by what others say, but it's a forum. We are all entitled to our feelings. We don't have to agree. And it doesn't matter if I think I am right, or you think you are right. That's not the purpose of posting.

reb said:
i agree with luvbeaches. and i do think that 'extreme' mountain climbers (for one) do have a certain addiction to high-stakes risk-taking, or need to push the limits of survival, some could say it's a chemical addiction. what do you wanna bet that if these guys were rescued, then asked, 'are you going to keep mountain climing?', they wouldn't have said, 'you betcha we will!' (which is what usually happens in these situations). that being said, i think that rescuers also are in love with the challenge of being able to find lost people, there is something in their brains that drives them too. so maybe they are cut from the same cloth. but they can only do so much.

let me put this another way: if someone were addicted to the high of jumping in front of a train- and back, just a second before it would hit them, and they did it 100 times, and got hit on the 100+1st time- i wouldn't be surprised, or see it as a great epic tragedy.

I completely agree.

And the rescuers may be cut from the same cloth. That makes sense.

I am not one of these people, nor will I ever be. And I just don't understand what drives them to do these things. I find it confusing. Those that do do those things probably don't have a clue why I don't feel the way they do.

One thing that totally changed my outlook on life was the birth of my children. They became our priority, and to us, that meant not doing anything risky. Heck, I've even flown different flights than my hubby (when the kids were little). I know that sounds silly to some, but I didn't want my children to be orphans.

tybee204 said:
Without great individuals born with the Spirit of Adventure where would we be in this world today. Who would have sailed the sea's? Scaled the mountains, maped the rivers and landed on the moon?
Certainly not me. :chicken: But I agree with your post completely Tybee.

luvbeaches said:
I completely agree.

And the rescuers may be cut from the same cloth. That makes sense.

I am not one of these people, nor will I ever be. And I just don't understand what drives them to do these things. I find it confusing. Those that do do those things probably don't have a clue why I don't feel the way they do.

One thing that totally changed my outlook on life was the birth of my children. They became our priority, and to us, that meant not doing anything risky. Heck, I've even flown different flights than my hubby (when the kids were little). I know that sounds silly to some, but I didn't want my children to be orphans.
You don't understand it because you are NOT a risk taker. I don't understand how people can go on a roller coaster or not be afraid to fly because this is who I am. But people who enjoy these type of adventures probably have a different mindset then us. They are not afraid. They probably don't see it as risk taking. Part of me wishes I wasn't so afraid of EVERYTHING. It really hampers some vacations. You have to see me before I get on a plane. As soon as I know I'm getting on a plane I call in my valium prescription to the Dr.

Issues like this are very emotional, especially after the event is being resolved and our thoughts turn the the right and wrong of things. I am as opinionated as anyone is. But when we voice our opinions here I don't really see anyone here being overly judgemental.

People take risks. We all do to some extent. In the case at hand here, I realize today there is much we do not know yet. So we really don't know exactly what equipment they had with them, only what was left in the snow cave and the snow shelter. One of the men who found the body and who is a high risk taker himself was basicly concerned as to why these men ventured out to descend Hood in a ferrocious blizzard {MOWording} when they had already made a great snowcave. The 3 men together safe in that cave might have survived. Water and warmth would have kept them going for weeks. So everyone has different thoughts that become concerns in a tragedy like this.

All I am getting at is we have to be tolerant and understanding in our discussions. Actually being passionate is wonderful. And I think everyone here is most thoughtful of those with a different viewpoint.

So Luvbeaches, I think you and I should give whoever laughed at your error a big :slap: :D . I don't think I ever write a post without some spelling error cause I go so quickly when I have a thought. If you knew the truth of it you would call me the editing queen. :blowkiss:

To m

scandi said:
Thanks Ca-Sun, Reading the last SAR post at CC, there is info that can not be made public at this time. Had they climbed Hood before it would have helped, Hood itself can turn very bad quickly aside from the fact climbing is a very dangerous sport and he questions why they decided to keep climbing when they had to know the ultimate dangers they faced.

He made these comments based on everything they found. I think it is a pretty good assesment of the situation. Scandi
scandi, what thread is the last sar post under. Duh...:confused:

MrsMush99 said:
I would like to jump in here and say that I heard on the news last night that the best time to climb Mt. Hood IS in the WINTER! This was from a climber. He was being asked if they were foolish for going up there this time of year, and he said NO, it's the best time. I think it was on Greta that I saw this. I think it's sad that this happened. I don't think people should be arguing whether or not they should have been there or if it was irresponsible. If their spouses didn't have a problem with it, who are we to judge their actions?
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Thank you, Mrs Mush99. I agree 100% and this is very sad. No one should be bad mouthing them!

luvbeaches said:
It is ultimately their decision to do this sort of thing (the climbing). The big problem I have is that when people take risks, and something goes wrong, then the people who have to rescue them are put at risk. Remember the helicopter that crashed while trying to rescue the other climbers?

I was merely voicing my opinion on this issue. It is a forum afterall. I think I have the right to speak about my feelings concerning this issue, just as much as you do.

I still think they were foolish. And I will never in a million years understand why anyone would do anything risky (this included). One poster said something about their children being grown...so I guess then it's okay to do these things...but the one guy had a child that was 12. He's a baby.

But as much as I feel the way I do...I really feel nothing but sadness for the climbers and their families.
The people working the search and rescue live for those times... of course they strive for a positive ending to the search. But they all love what they do.

Originally Posted by tybee204
"Without great individuals born with the Spirit of Adventure where would we be in this world today. Who would have sailed the sea's? Scaled the mountains, maped the rivers and landed on the moon?"

Very true Tybee. But I think all those who were successful assessed their risks accordingly and preparation was a big part of their ventures.

This is a different scenario, as from what we do know is these men did not prepare for the possibility of being stranded in an ice cave. Had they been as concerned about that and the weather history of Hood in December as they were about getting driving directions and learning what the different routes up to the summit were the best for ascent and descent, they would have realized a quick and light climb was a bad idea and bolstered differently before they left. Hindsight, it means nothing.

sweetmop said:
The people working the search and rescue live for those times... of course they strive for a positive ending to the search. But they all love what they do.

I think that is very true Sweetmop, and one thing they preach is preparedness.

They are a different breed of cat from a lot of sportsters. They can fall into a cravasse and when they finally get pulled out by the hair of their chinny chin chin, buck up, smile and resume their trip up or down the mtn. Kind of a motley macho crew who can be as rank as the next guy but also be the first to help you if you need it.

Oh, and they are all in top physical form, yea, I've seen photos of a few that would . . . ;)

I think it should be a law that ALL climbers should where GPS trackers. Think of all the lives it would save if it was a law.

MrsMush99 said:
I think it should be a law that ALL climbers should where GPS trackers. Think of all the lives it would save if it was a law.
I agree with you, MrsMush, but the climbers sure don't. They seem to feel that they climb the mountains for freedom, to get away from everything, etc. They just have a different way of thinking, I guess.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Puddy
Back