OR OR - Kelly James (dead), Brian Hall, 37, Jerry Cooke, 36, Mt. Hood Climbers, Dec 2006

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
poco said:
Remember the Amish school shooting not to long ago - The day of the shooting the media were all over the place, then within two days - POOF - they were gone - we never head another word about it. The last I recall hearing was that one of the children "went home to die."

The Amish kept this story from turning into a media circus - how???

--->>>poco, the Amish kept this from being a circus, because primarily the public does not understand that God rescued these folks from their mental anguish, and that they are at peace.

I could not access your video, I need to upgrade, but not in the humor at this hour.

Lurker Steve, thank you for updating me on the date of the trek up the mountain.

Scandi and others I concur about James. Wonder IF he will join up with volunteering for others in the future? HE could work his way into the HOW to begin a search fact finding group for future brothers.

I now have a question for Buzz our fine research man, HOW many searches, or rescues does the Mt. Hood Sherifs department do each and every year. I do see a tiredness in the sherifs eyes, a sort of been there done that.

Wonder what their manpower budget is for Mt. Hood county? I would like to know the typical initial mechanics of determining What and Who will be used to 'figure out' what and how fast things begin?

Buzz or anyone else want to take these questions on?

MAYBE would be climbers should be members of the search crews for a considerable time BEFORE they are allowed to pursue their dreams at great risk to others. Maybe they are already, I don't know.

I actually like climbing mountains myself---In North Carolina, I've climbed Grandfather Mountain many times--but I climbed it when it was 60 degrees---These guys climbing up Mt.Hood are experiencing tempertures at zero degrees and the Mt Everest nuts are climbing in tmperatures at 20 to 40 degrees below zero--how nuts is that? Is that supposed to be fun? wow I went to Virginia in Oct and it was 35 degrees--I thought I was going to freeze to death--I don't see how people live in states like Colorado--sure the mountains are beautiful but there are not enough trees--We went to Denver,Estes Park,Pikes Peak in the middle of May and the temp was in the 20's! This morning in Denver it was fifteen degrees and they had that awful blizzard,paralyzing the city---doesn't sound like fun does it--

Camper said:
--->>>poco, the Amish kept this from being a circus, because primarily the public does not understand that God rescued these folks from their mental anguish, and that they are at peace.

I believe you are quite correct!!!! Clinging causes pain, forgiveness relieves pain.

I must mention this - One of the best books I have ever read in my life is called "The Dragon Doesn't Live Here Anymore, Living Fully, Lovely Freely." It is what I consider my "bible." It is by Alan Cohen and is very enlightening. As Alan shares his journey through life, he highlights lessons for us all on overcoming limitations, creating fulfilling relationships, tuning in to the flow of life, transformation, finding a personal pathy and the greatest gift of all, love.

Great book!!!!!

poco said:
I believe you are quite correct!!!! Clinging causes pain, forgiveness relieves pain.

I must mention this - One of the best books I have ever read in my life is called "The Dragon Doesn't Live Here Anymore, Living Fully, Lovely Freely." It is what I consider my "bible." It is by Alan Cohen and is very enlightening. As Alan shares his journey through life, he highlights lessons for us all on overcoming limitations, creating fulfilling relationships, tuning in to the flow of life, transformation, finding a personal pathy and the greatest gift of all, love.

Great book!!!!!

--->>>Thank you poco, I have a daughter that has turned her life around and is an avid reader, will get it for her for her birthday in July, and I can read it myself in the meantime, hee hee.

--->>>PeterHamilton, yep bet you would not go up the mountain in a lightning storm with rain either. Snow is frozen rain stuff huh?

I have passions and they do not have the potential to kill me. Yep and our streets have not been plowed yet either, deep subject snow!!

scandi said:
LaMer, you are a treasure too! Izzy, I agree with you too that what he needs is the benefit of time. I only sat and read or watched what happened, and sensed genuine sincerity in the search crew as I kind of got to know some of them at CC. It was a stellar effort by all, and the sad part is that by the time the weather allowed them to do their first search ,they were all already dead.

Scandi

ETA: I should clarify, in the first searches the men were pushed back by weather, so they were very limited in what they could do.

Thank you Scandi :blowkiss: LOL I try, it's a struggle sometimes ;) YaYa! ;)

Happy Holidays to you and yours :) Have a good one!

One last note, I hope Ben James can find some peace, it surely will take awhile, but maybe he will understand some day, that all was done that could be done. I'm relieved, as it doesn't appear other than this article the media isn't jumping on this bandwagon. More reasonable minds are not feeling there is merit to his claims.

Happy Holidays to ALL! :) I'm off to FL soon to make sure my daughters do not wind surf or turn into surfers LOL Me a :chicken:

Personal note of interest: the orange jacket that Frank James wore all week belonged to his brother Kelly.

poco said:

Great book!!!!!
Poco, Yes, that is a wonderful book. All of Alan Cohen's are of that same thread. Very motivating and enlightening. His books have helped me through some rough and dark times in my own life. Thanks for mentioning the great book for all!:)

Peter Hamilton said:
reb, I agree with you--His complaints are misdirected--Those rescue workers made an incredible effort--how would ben james feel if everybody just said "hey,we're not going up there--its too dangerous and cold--besides your brother went up there without taking proper precautions--think we'll just leave his body up there like they do at Mt Everest"--I mean come on---and luvbeaches,I agree with you that I cannot understand why people climb mountains--I'm a risk-taker myself,I've chased tornados in Oklahoma and gone out driving during hurricanes here in Florida and also deliberately drive thru severe thunderstorms driving to the middle of the state in the summertime--now, some people might call me nuts,but at least I'm i a car where its warm---how much fun can it be to be freezingcold, trudging slowly up a mountain--those Everest climbers are crazy,frostbite and all
I think poor Ben James is horribly distraught and grieving over this, and he's mis-directing his feelings. Unlike his brothers, Kelly & Frank, maybe he doesn't have that strong faith in God. And he's very angry, not only at God but his brother, Kelly. I pray he will find it. Let's all pray for Ben. Just my humble opinion.

LaMer said:
Thank you Scandi :blowkiss: LOL I try, it's a struggle sometimes ;) YaYa! ;)

Happy Holidays to you and yours :) Have a good one!

One last note, I hope Ben James can find some peace, it surely will take awhile, but maybe he will understand some day, that all was done that could be done. I'm relieved, as it doesn't appear other than this article the media isn't jumping on this bandwagon. More reasonable minds are not feeling there is merit to his claims.

Happy Holidays to ALL! :) I'm off to FL soon to make sure my daughters do not wind surf or turn into surfers LOL Me a :chicken:
LaMer, Ipray for Ben James also. He is really hurting... I can not even fathom. happy Holidays to you and your family, LaMer and be safe during this busy time of the year. I love reading all of your posts. You are such a shining light! :)

sweetmop said:
Poco, Yes, that is a wonderful book. All of Alan Cohen's are of that same thread. Very motivating and enlightening. His books have helped me through some rough and dark times in my own life. Thanks for mentioning the great book for all!:)

What I love so much about his book is that he keeps it real, teaches us how to let go and, above all, to NOT SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF! As for me, I can dwell on the small stuff for days and days and days. When I get stuck in my life, I pick up his book. I also have little affirmations that I have hanging in front of me - right now I have two up - one says

Live and let live
Do not judge
Take it as it comes
Deal with it
Everything will be okay

The other one reads

Oversteem men and people become powerless. Overvalue possessions and people begin to steal. Empty your mind and fill your core. Weaken your ambition and toughen your resolve. Lose everything you know and everything you desire and ignore those who say they know. Practice not wanting, desiring, judging, doing, fighting, knowing. Practice just being. Everything will fall into place.

scandi-- i can certainly understand he might be misdirecting his anger- and we all know the media does love to twist things around- so maybe we are responding to something that isn't even accurate. but the truth is, if people keep complaining and second guessing like that (if he really said that & meant it), the day may come when there ARE no volunteers- and everyone says 'hey, they were dumb enough to go up there-- that's their problem, not ours.' i sure hope when he works through his grief he will call every one of those volunteers and make a sincere apology, as well as a public apology.

and this isn't really a debate over risk-taking v/s timid non-risk-taking people. this is about COMMON SENSE and being considerate of the welfare of others, in your own selfish pursuit of glory. hey, if you go up there- the reality is, that something might happen. injuries happen, storms happen, you get lost, delays happen, etc. if they were really experienced climbers, they should have known that. they chose not to rent the simple $5 gps device-- why?? a sense of invincibility maybe?
again, the point is- (not to be redundant, but-), if you're gonna take such drastic risks just for the fun of it, at least make an effort to make yourselves easy to find, so others don't have to risk THEIR lives (and taxpayers and your family don't have to spend many thousands of dollars!) - when something bad happens & you need help.
boldness certainly counts for a lot. but so does intelligent caution and planning.

LaMer said:
kgeaux, Thank you and you are so nice and kind for making such a thoughtful post to luvbeaches. She certainly didn't deserve to be pounced on for her views. She did like the rest of us, she had EMPATHY for the famlies and the guys lost on the mountain. I'm sure there are many of us who felt the same as luvbeaches, and looked at the situation, internalizing the feelings as if what if one of ours, and not understanding.

Some wouldn't believe the precautions I had taken when my children were young, just to make sure I would be around to teach, love and take care of them.

My nephew is a climber, and I am so thankful the trait has not carried over to my children. He must have inherited all of the risk taking traits in our line, for you would not believe what all he does with his energy. He is fearless--not I.

It was a very nice post from kgeaux, and you too.

I don't know why I was singled out, there certainly are others who have expressed the same sentiments. I suppose I tend to "think" things through by posting (this is afterall a forum)). I will say that when kgeaux mentioned that family members read here, it took me by surprise, and I do hope that my posts did not upset them in any fashion. That certainly wasn't my intent.

I think for the most part, posters here understand that we are not all going to agree...and rarely do you see a poster attacked for their views...I just happened to be one of them. I have used the good 'ole "ignore" feature, which will end a lot of discussions from me. :)

The bad thing about being made fun of about my redundancy, is that lately I've had a problem remembering things. I don't know what's going on...but I do need to get to a doctor. Sometimes I just flat-out can't remember things. It's probably nothing...at least I hope so.

Like you, I took all sorts of precautions once I had children. I wanted to make sure that I'd be around for them while they were growing up. Which is why I never will understand why people do risky things...and I do know that bad things can happen at any time, but to put yourself in a bad situation from the get-go isn't something I do. At least not now that I have a family.

But I do feel complete sadnees for these families at this time. Regardless of what they were doing...they lost their lives. And if understanding why their loved ones did what they did, gives them peace, then that's good.

Peter Hamilton said:
reb, I agree with you--His complaints are misdirected--Those rescue workers made an incredible effort--how would ben james feel if everybody just said "hey,we're not going up there--its too dangerous and cold--besides your brother went up there without taking proper precautions--think we'll just leave his body up there like they do at Mt Everest"--I mean come on---and luvbeaches,I agree with you that I cannot understand why people climb mountains--I'm a risk-taker myself,I've chased tornados in Oklahoma and gone out driving during hurricanes here in Florida and also deliberately drive thru severe thunderstorms driving to the middle of the state in the summertime--now, some people might call me nuts,but at least I'm i a car where its warm---how much fun can it be to be freezingcold, trudging slowly up a mountain--those Everest climbers are crazy,frostbite and all

Tornados chase me...to the basement! We had one experience with one, and that was enough to make me give them a wide berth. But I will say I watch those shows on tv were they chase the tornados. It is interesting.

Reb...I also agree with your post. I still can't believe that anyone would climb a mountain (or go anywhere remote) without a GPS on them. It could mean the difference between life and death.

From Frank James on behalf of the James family:

This has been a difficult time for our family. But, we have peace and comfort—peace in our hearts that the Lord is with us as we grieve and comfort in knowing Kelly was prepared to meet God.

As Christmas approaches, our family will hold each other closer and open our hearts for God to fill them with grace and love.

We wish to thank the millions of people who offered prayers and support during this most difficult time of our lives.

Specifically, we thank Sheriff Joe Wampler and the Hood River County Sheriff’s Office, residents of Hood River and Clackamas counties, Oregon Air National Guard, State of Oregon, Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Crag Rats, Portland Mountain Rescue, Corvallis Search & Rescue, Captain Christopher Bernard and the U.S. Air Force 304th Rescue Squadron, Hood River Airport, T-Mobile, ARACAR, IOMAX and the dozens of volunteer rescue workers who donated their time and risked their lives.

We especially thank Sgt. Josh Johnston who found Kelly.

The efforts made by the rescue workers on Mt. Hood were heroic and our family is grateful to them.

Thank you.

Frank James

Media, please note:

The James family is no longer taking interview requests, as they are focused on preparing for funeral services for Kelly James. At this time, the details of those services are not available.

Also, the photos taken from Kelly James’ camera will not be made public.

poco said:
What I love so much about his book is that he keeps it real, teaches us how to let go and, above all, to NOT SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF! As for me, I can dwell on the small stuff for days and days and days. When I get stuck in my life, I pick up his book. I also have little affirmations that I have hanging in front of me - right now I have two up - one says

Live and let live
Do not judge
Take it as it comes
Deal with it
Everything will be okay

The other one reads

Oversteem men and people become powerless. Overvalue possessions and people begin to steal. Empty your mind and fill your core. Weaken your ambition and toughen your resolve. Lose everything you know and everything you desire and ignore those who say they know. Practice not wanting, desiring, judging, doing, fighting, knowing. Practice just being. Everything will fall into place.
Oh no, Poco... you sound JUST like me! I worry over everything. I was telling a friend once, that my husband is so laid back and never worries and stresses over anything, and hubby says, " I don't have to, you worry for me." Ha, that's pretty much me.

Just a note... tonight at 11pm on the Discover Channel, they will be airing an episode of "I Shouldn't Be Alive" about three climbers trapped on Mt. McKinley during a blizzard.

What might have been :(

Lurker Steve said:
Just a note... tonight at 11pm on the Discover Channel, they will be airing an episode of "I Shouldn't Be Alive" about three climbers trapped on Mt. McKinley during a blizzard.

Thanks Steve, sounds like a very interesting show, especially after all we have learned about Mountaineering as of late. It is the highest peak on the continent of North America, and some say more difficult to climb than Everest because it is colder. { :rolleyes: sorry, I wrote that in another post but thought it bore repeating}.

Ca-Sun, Oh, that was a hard one to hear that Frank was wearing Kelly's coat. Thanks Scandi

Lurker Steve said:

Our entire family watched the Everest show and then "I Shouldn't Be Alive" last night. Only the ISBA episode was about a bunch of boys/men lost in the Grand Canyon (one teen died :( ). Both were very educational.

Thanks for the heads up, Lurker Steve.

reb said:
scandi-- i can certainly understand he might be misdirecting his anger- and we all know the media does love to twist things around- so maybe we are responding to something that isn't even accurate. but the truth is, if people keep complaining and second guessing like that (if he really said that & meant it), the day may come when there ARE no volunteers- and everyone says 'hey, they were dumb enough to go up there-- that's their problem, not ours.' i sure hope when he works through his grief he will call every one of those volunteers and make a sincere apology, as well as a public apology.

and this isn't really a debate over risk-taking v/s timid non-risk-taking people. this is about COMMON SENSE and being considerate of the welfare of others, in your own selfish pursuit of glory. hey, if you go up there- the reality is, that something might happen. injuries happen, storms happen, you get lost, delays happen, etc. if they were really experienced climbers, they should have known that. they chose not to rent the simple $5 gps device-- why?? a sense of invincibility maybe?
again, the point is- (not to be redundant, but-), if you're gonna take such drastic risks just for the fun of it, at least make an effort to make yourselves easy to find, so others don't have to risk THEIR lives (and taxpayers and your family don't have to spend many thousands of dollars!) - when something bad happens & you need help.
boldness certainly counts for a lot. but so does intelligent caution and planning.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

luvbeaches, i've been silently backing you as well...and many others here. I just don't feel I can add anything more here myself lately. Y'all say it for me most of the time.

I'm not afraid of risky adventures, but you can be darn sure I'm prepared in case of an accident or the weather changing etc.

Taximom said:
:clap: :clap: :clap:

luvbeaches, i've been silently backing you as well...and many others here. I just don't feel I can add anything more here myself lately. Y'all say it for me most of the time.

I'm not afraid of risky adventures, but you can be darn sure I'm prepared in case of an accident or the weather changing etc.

Well, thank you. Sometimes I am a reader, other times I post. And when I do finally post...I do it a lot. But for the most part, I'm like you, everyone else seems to cover what I would have said.

Speaking of being prepared....we usually travel to a convention the first week of December, but this year we decided we were just too busy to attend. As it turned out, there was a huge blizzard and the highway we would have been on was closed (at the time we would have been on it). People were stranded for a day in their car. We usually have a blanket or two in the car, but after seeing what happened this year...we'll make sure and have extra blankets, water and food.

You're right...if you're not afraid of doing risky things, then it's really a good idea to be prepared for the worst.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mysxoxo
Back