OR OR - Kelly James (dead), Brian Hall, 37, Jerry Cooke, 36, Mt. Hood Climbers, Dec 2006

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
BigTex said:
Bit confused here as I have seen several posters talking about GPS. A GPS receiver would not have assisted the searchers in any way. GPS devices do not transmit as the simply triangulate the position from the signals from the satellites in orbit above us. I strongly doubt the climbers would have benefitted much from the GPS in whiteout conditions anyways. The MLU device would have worked to locate them but given the fact that the weather prevented any sort of rescue for the first 4-5 days it is highly unlikely they were still alive to use said device. The fact of the matter is the minute the weather turned they were in dire straits.

-BigTex
If a phone has GPS capability it can TRANSMIT its position.

luvbeaches said:
And if that works for you...that's your choice.

You may only live once...but I want to be able to live as long as possible. I don't want to leave my children as orphans because I chose to do something risky for the fun of it. But that's me. To each his own.

I personally believe that when it's your time to go.... it's your time to go.
Weather your walking across the road... or climbing a mountain!

I'm happy these guys died doing something they loved.
Some people never get a chance to follow their dreams
but I think these 3 did.

Sometimes life is a risk.
:twocents:

scandi said:
<snipped>Did you read the comments below that article? Amazing how many people barked at Katie for even doing the interview. It was awfully quick. The funeral for him was just yesterday.<snipped>

Scandi

I think Kelly's funeral is going to be held next Wednesday, December 27th.

Buzzm1 said:

That's true Buzz. I got my grandaughter a cell phone about 3 months ago, and when I paid the bill this month I called and asked if her phone had a GPS unit in it. They looked it up and said no, you have to go to a Motorola or much better quality phone for that. The gal told me that Motorolas have the capabilities and said it will transmit a location too. When I get the extra funds I will do this for her. It just takes $$$$

Since I have been at Websleuths, I have seen too many times when a good cellie might have saved a young girl. And we have seen many times where girls have been saved by having this.

Scandi

Thanks Liz, I haven't read any articles in the last day. One of my concerns was for Jerry's wife having to go all the way back to NYC without him, and I think she flew back right away. So far away. She was the most vulnerable family member I saw, and when I looked in her eyes I could tell she was working so hard to stay strong.

I know these families will stay in touch with each other. They will find Hall and Cooke. I think some sign will present itself. I was so hopeful when they saw a different color in the snow. Odd how it can be a rock, don't you think? A rock leaching color into wet snow? Hmmm

scandi

harleysnana said:
I personally believe that when it's your time to go.... it's your time to go.
Weather your walking across the road... or climbing a mountain!

I'm happy these guys died doing something they loved.
Some people never get a chance to follow their dreams
but I think these 3 did.

Sometimes life is a risk.
:twocents:

I think so, too, harleysnana.

The quote below, by Frank James, brother of Kelly, goes to show that some family members do find comfort in knowing that their loved one(s) died doing something they truly enjoyed:

"As Christians, we find peace that Kelly is with God. Kelly always told us that he felt closest to God when he was on the mountain and that's what drove him to climb. And we find enormous comfort in knowing that he lifted off that mountain from a place he loved and doing something that he loved very, very much. Thank you all for your support. The family is most grateful for all of that."

Source:
http://www.bentoncourier.com/articles/2006/12/19/news/31hnews.txt

luvbeaches said:
I do see your point.

I'm also a big chicken, and have been even more so since we had children. We just don't take risks. I know things can and do happen, and when it's your time, I suppose it's your time.

For the life of me, I just don't understand people doing this sort of thing. I really don't. But to each their own. We all have to live our lives how we choose....and obviously we all have different ideas on what we'd do or not do. I just would never do anything like what these young men did.

All I can do is send my thoughts and prayers to their families.

It is a God given personality trait, luvbeaches. Just as you were born with a personality that causes you to not take risks, these men were born with risk taking personalities. Your personality is important to the world, as is theirs. We wouldn't have developed very far as a culture without risk taking men and women----heck, there wouldn't even be 13 states, much less 50 without risk takers!

I have both personality types among my children, and believe me, it is breath taking to watch those risk takers develop into young men! The things they've tried have contributed to the development of a grey hair or two on my head!

The most precious gift we have for the families of these men is our prayers for their comfort, and it is so wonderful that even though you don't understand the risk taking behavior that cost them their lives, you are praying for their families. I know if the families were reading here, they would thank you for that. :blowkiss:

AlwaysShocked said:
This is written from the perspective of a surviving significant other of a climber who perished "doing what he loved best": http://outside.away.com/outside/features/200309/200309_survivors_1.html
Thanks for the link. I just finished this article and felt compassion for each and every loved one who lost someone to the mountains. I found it very interesting to read a climber's view and undertand the passion they have.

Buzzm1 said:
I have a regular GPS unit.

The problem is that you can't just turn it on and instantly get a position. It takes a few minutes for it to find the satellites and calculate where it is. And it depends very much on sky visibility - if you are in a forest, good luck getting a location. I'm not sure how it handles when it's very cloudy.

So Kelly's 4 children are not his with Karen? I wonder how his ex-wife is holding up?

Lurker Steve said:
I have a regular GPS unit.

The problem is that you can't just turn it on and instantly get a position. It takes a few minutes for it to find the satellites and calculate where it is. And it depends very much on sky visibility - if you are in a forest, good luck getting a location. I'm not sure how it handles when it's very cloudy.
Steve, it's all about the technology:

http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/801795

PrayersForMaura said:
So Kelly's 4 children are not his with Karen? I wonder how his ex-wife is holding up?

there has not been one word about the former wife in any of the local media coverage of which i am aware.

Three of Kelly's children are by his wife Carol, who he married in 1980. The 4th child, Jack, the one who is 12, is by a woman named Jackie (who I have been unable to find information on a marriage, but I'm assuming it was his 2nd wife). He married Karen in September of 2000, so they had only been married 6 years.

It is a God given personality trait, luvbeaches. Just as you were born with a personality that causes you to not take risks, these men were born with risk taking personalities. Your personality is important to the world, as is theirs. We wouldn't have developed very far as a culture without risk taking men and women----heck, there wouldn't even be 13 states, much less 50 without risk takers!

I have both personality types among my children, and believe me, it is breath taking to watch those risk takers develop into young men! The things they've tried have contributed to the development of a grey hair or two on my head!

The most precious gift we have for the families of these men is our prayers for their comfort, and it is so wonderful that even though you don't understand the risk taking behavior that cost them their lives, you are praying for their families. I know if the families were reading here, they would thank you for that.

kgeaux...

Very well put.

And I do have the families of these men in my thoughts and prayers.

Saw the interview, it was touching. Bless all of the children.

I sit in Colorado being buried with massive amounts of snow. I knew several days ahead that WE were going to be hit with a MAJOR STORM, therefore, I, family, friends and neighbors scuried to the store etc., and loaded up with necesary things to stay inside until roads were passable etc.

Why would a seasoned mountain climber NOT pay attention to weather reports? Would you not think that would be a major consideration on when to go climbing? The climbing would be tough enough in my view without a storm to deal with, or is that part of the excitement?

Buzz and others noted that IF they had proceeded with their climb rather than staying the extra night in the cabin, they just might still be alive.

Why would climbers not pay rapt attention to an oncoming storm?

Guess my brain waves do not flow in the same direction as a seasoned mountain climber.

My hubby climbed a fourteener in Colorado, Longs Peak, but did it in the summer over mind boggling boulders. A feat to be sure.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Puddy
Back