OR OR - Kelly James (dead), Brian Hall, 37, Jerry Cooke, 36, Mt. Hood Climbers, Dec 2006

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Floh said:
Nope - not that i've learned. :(
Not good... it takes a lot of calories to do what they were attempting to do (descend a mountain.) I'm guessing they didn't have a GPS with them, since they've had more than enough time to hike to a village.

As they say on Everest, getting up is the easy part.

Lurker Steve said:
Not good... it takes a lot of calories to do what they were attempting to do (descend a mountain.) I'm guessing they didn't have a GPS with them, since they've had more than enough time to hike to a village.

As they say on Everest, getting up is the easy part.

I'm keeping my hopes up and thinking positive.

try to find this fellow's post here to see what he has to say about the good chances these chaps have of surviving:

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/616247/page/1/fpart/19

you'll have to scroll well down/up to find ryland_moore's lengthy post beginning, "O.K. since there are a lot of "newbies" looking in with some posting who do not know the terminology and are being disrespectful, without, I hope, intending to be, here are a few things for those who have not read every single post from this forum.

The climbers supposedly headed up the NF. The NF above the Elliot glacier is a technical climb that requires frozen conditions. Mt. Hood is a volcano with a lot of choss (read loose unconsolidated rock). You must climb when this route is frozen which is pretty much the late fall through the early spring. Any other time is too dangerous to climb this route, generally. "

and it continues, with explanation.

you may change your mind.

Ca-Sun said:
Lets hope it is true. The reports said they found clues, so maybe this is one of them.

Not wishbone, but horseshoe shape, apparently:

Searchers did spot an item in the snow late Saturday, but there was no agreement about what it could be. Some witnesses speculated that the item, which is horseshoe shaped, could be rope. Officials said they also found "anomalies in the snow" that helped to narrow the search.

http://www.oregonlive.com/newslogs/...e_oregonian_news/archives/2006_12.html#216509

Still speculation, but . . .

I read it yesterday. He may be an expert, but it's not clear that the people climbing are as knowledgeable about how to properly build a snow cave, whether they brought enough food and fuel to last this long, etc.

Scroll down and read his second post.

Even if the guy in the snow cave brought along enough fuel for a few days, he still needs to drink a large amount of water to stay hydrated.

Could they all survive? I'm sure of that - if they were prepared and if they were as knowledgeable as that poster. I hope they survive too, but please don't confuse optimism with realism; they're not mutually exclusive.

I am just on pins and needles waiting for a Fox News Alert! Please, I pray these guys are all found alive.

Floh said:
Not wishbone, but horseshoe shape, apparently:

Searchers did spot an item in the snow late Saturday, but there was no agreement about what it could be. Some witnesses speculated that the item, which is horseshoe shaped, could be rope. Officials said they also found "anomalies in the snow" that helped to narrow the search.

http://www.oregonlive.com/newslogs/oregonian/index.ssf?/mtlogs/olive_oregonian_news/archives/2006_12.html#216509

Still speculation, but . . .
Appears that this is what they spotted yesterday - and still speculation. Darn. Waiting is so hard... imagine what the families are going through.

Lurker Steve said:
I read it yesterday. He may be an expert, but it's not clear that the people climbing are as knowledgeable about how to properly build a snow cave, whether they brought enough food and fuel to last this long, etc.

Even if the guy in the snow cave brought along enough fuel for a few days, he still needs to drink a large amount of water to stay hydrated.

Could they all survive? I'm sure of that - if they were prepared and if they were as knowledgeable as that poster. I hope they survive too, but please don't confuse optimism with realism; they're not mutually exclusive.
Steve, the 3 climbers are all very experienced and knowledgeable. Kelly James has been climbing for 25 years. The wanted to climb Hood in preparation for a future climb up Everest (I think). On the very first page at CC there is a post by DonnV - he spoke with the three, and said they seemed perfectly fine knowing the route they wanted to take was quite steep - I forget the exact wording, but it says a lot about their experience and level as climbers.

Lurker Steve said:

I did read the second post last night and continue to keep updated as the thread moves along.

i do fully understand about dehydration problems and the other enormous problems they are facing.

Floh, did you read the posts by Brian Hall's cousins that live in Germany?

Ca-Sun said:
Steve, the 3 climbers are all very experienced and knowledgeable. Kelly James has been climbing for 25 years. The wanted to climb Hood in preparation for a future climb up Everest (I think). On the very first page at CC there is a post by DonnV - he spoke with the three, and said they seemed perfectly fine knowing the route they wanted to take was quite steep - I forget the exact wording, but it says a lot about their experience and level as climbers.
Rob Hall and Scott Fischer were experienced climbers, too.

Ca-Sun said:
Appears that this is what they spotted yesterday - and still speculation. Darn. Waiting is so hard... imagine what the families are going through.

There is a lady on the thread, Carolyn James, wife of Kelly James' brother, Frank, who posts, "We are hanging on and are hungry for news. Your comments fuel our hopes.

Thank you for your determination to rescue our loved ones. My family will never get over the outpouring of support we have received from the climbing community.

We are praying for the safety and success of the rescue teams.

God bless you!"

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/616247/page/1/fpart/18

i would hope if she or one of the family were to read our posts she would gain as much from us. i'm behind them all the way.

Ca-Sun said:
Floh, did you read the posts by Brian Hall's cousins that live in Germany?

No. i missed those! i didn't get into the thread until around page 18, i think. what did they say?

I want to let the climber's families know that my family and I are also "behind them all the way". The Lord is watching over them, they will be found. There is just too many of us joining in prayers for their safe returns!

Good Morning everyone!

I was up at 4 to see if I could spot the searchers leaving but they didn't show up on the Timberline screen. Just having read everything here and at CC, I am so encouraged today.

The horseshoe shape has really encouraged the climbers who know what it is all about over at the CC site. That is good news. One guy said he thought maybe Kelly had crawled out of his cave to give a directional sign to the searchers if he heard the aircraft. He could only stay out a minute the guy said, as it is 0 degrees up on that summit.

I have an idea they know almost exactly where Kelly is, and that is because they spotted anomalies in the snow. I'm thinking that could be all the footprints and disturbances in the snow when they constructed the snow cave. Like a pile of snow off to the side of the anomalies. And at the presser the Army guy from the 405th said with the blowing of snow they would be able to see shapes under that powder. It is what he didn't say that caught my eye. The C-120 is highly classified in its searching abilities, so for security reasons they can't tell all it can do. But I hope what I think is correct, in that it can spot the areas where the snow has been disturbed and put it on a graph.

All good news. As far as the sun on the snow Steve, these climbers know that what they have to do is make sure their crampons don't get mucked up with snow - keep them free of snow so the sharp part will pierce the snow as they walk and give good footing.

And for the LE officer to say during the presser that they expect some major developments in a couple of hours tells me somthing good is underway and if you add the 45 min late they were in reaching the summit that would put it at about 12:30 we might hear something that will warm our hearts.

Scandi

sweetmop said:
I want to let the climber's families know that my family and I are also "behind them all the way". The Lord is watching over them, they will be found. There is just too many of us joining in prayers for their safe returns!

Yes, if they happen upon Websleuths. the post i made is related this site and thread:

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/616247/page/1/fpart/18

as you can see it's Cascade Climbers.

behind them all the way? abso-bloody-lutely! :woohoo:

Hi Steve,

Who were Rob Hall and Scott Fischer? I know a young man died on the mountain last year. He slipped and slid all the way down the glacier. They didn't have such a stellar search effort I don't think, but will have to go back and read about it. My Mom told me about it yesterday.

Hi Sundayrain and Ca-Sun, I was so glad to see Carolyn James posting this morning at CC. Frank is the spokesman in the red jacket we see on TV. A doctor I guess. Anyway, she said she read to him the posts at CC and I am sure that included your poem Sunday, posted there by Ca-Sun. Neat!

Scandi

I am so excited about this news! Thanks for posting it.

The searchers are such heroes. They have knowingly gone into desolate, dangerous territory to rescue these three guys, putting their own lives at risk. I really admire their courage, determination and love for their fellow man.

Ca-Sun said:
Just posted at CC:

BREAKING NEWS: Searchers find signs of one of the climbers

A helicopter surveying the Mount Hood summit this morning has captured images of what appears to be a snow cave, scattered equipment and what looks like frozen tracks in the snow.

Search organizers plan to airlift pararescuers to the summit by helicopter so they can make their way to the area by foot.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mysxoxo
Back