OR - Kyron Horman, 7 yo Second grader, Portland, 4 June 2010 - #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I have more to tell I will...there's a lot of speculation here as well, and sorting out the fact from the assumption is the hard part. >_<
I spoke to my assistant store-director today about volunteering the surveilance tapes from 'that day' (we're within the area MCSO requested), but he seemed...less than concerned. It put me off badly, as even though we don't have a street-view, there's a full view of the parking lot and you never know what rolls through there in the middle of the night...every little bit helps, right?

Hi neighbor, welcome :)
You work for a good company. If your asst mgr won't listen, ask the manager? I think your idea is great.
If you don't feel comfortable going up a level at work, call the tip line and ask them to come out to ask. It seems perfectly reasonable to me, and I just want to encourage you. :)

I did a quick drawing and it is on my profile page.....

I don't know what it is,but your artwork is amazing.Someone suggested beekeeping box.I'll google around see if I can find any old ones.

Hi Ocean, Interesting about editing the video. I found it on Google, played it and thought they'd made a mistake as it wasn't there.

I think I read that yesterday about the truck belonging to Kaine and the red mustang to Terri {in the same sentence}. Now is when I wish we had a forum so we could go to the 'truck' thread. LOL I'll look. xox

PS: I think there are several things that have been pulled from the local news. I bet if LE objects to something going out to the public all they have to do is make a call and 'poof', it's gone !!!

But that is strange to me though because from what a reporter said LE told them a truck was being towed for the Horman property due to mechanical problems. It seems LE did want the media to know it wasnt being towed by LE but it was going in for repairs.

That may be why they told the news site to pull it or the media may have found out it didnt belong to one of the parents at all but someone who had been visiting at the Horman home. I know I sure wouldn't appreciate the media putting my vehicle out on the news if it was just going to the shop to be repaired.

IMO

Who is this school rep?

Matt Shelby is the spokesman for the Portland Public School District.

Can you tell us anything about the nude beach st Sauvie Island? (Not from personal experience - I'm sure :) )

Do you know what kind of element is there? Families? Adults only? Regular people from the community? Tourists?

lolz, I'll tell you, and from first hand experience as well!
The clothing optional beach is far from the search site.. way out Reeder Road. It's a significant trek out there, and part of it is over dirt/gravel road. You need a special parking permit to park on the island or you get a ticket (yes, I know about THAT from personal experience too!).

The beach is used by all sorts of people, none of them especially attractive when nekkid (self included). It's been many years since I've used that beach, but I have walked through there on other occasions with clothes on. I'm sure there are some people who go to have a peep, but they are likely to be disappointed.
I've been there with friend who have taken their kids, but that is an old experience. Tourists? Maybe, since it's a well-known naturalists beach. There is a more specifically gay-oriented one elsewhere in town, so there is no special focus for it. The island locals went through a phase of wanting to close it down a few years ago (maybe as many as 10 years) but people police themselves well, and you can't see anything from the road (to the beach).

It's not marked on puf's map with a pin, but if you want to find it, it's on the north end of the island, on the east, Columbia River side and it should be marked Reeder Beach.

Welcome animefemme!

Can you tell us anything about the nude beach st Sauvie Island? (Not from personal experience - I'm sure :) )

Do you know what kind of element is there? Families? Adults only? Regular people from the community? Tourists?

I can tell you a little bit. :blushingsmiley: When I was in high school in the mid 80s, we'd go out there quite a bit, mostly to gawk & giggle. Seems like everyone was really local and generally in their 20s & 30s - either from Portland or Vancouver, WA, right across the river. People tied up their boats along the shore & stayed a while, then cruised back down the river. It was VERY low key and friendly. Not nearly as sexual in nature as you might think. I never saw any little kids out there, and I expect that would be frowned upon by the whole community. This is one of the places that's gated at night. It's at the end of a long, rough road.

Hi Ocean, About the truck I found this:

"If you go to http://www.koinlocal6.com/default.aspx and scroll down about half way you will see a "Special Features" tab with a thumbnail picture of searchers looking for Kyron and a link to an article called "Investigators looking for new clues". Underneath that link is the following text: "It has been 12 days since Kyron Horman was last seen. Investigators are searching new areas and providing more pictures to try to solicitate more tips from the public. Investigators also towed a truck from the Horman property and searched a neighbor's home."

Off to look for ownership.

When you watch the video, the reporter says the news station checked with the sheriff's office, who said the Hormans had the truck towed to the dealership for mechanical problems.

At 5:15 in the video which is called Prayer Vigil for Hope at the link for the Investigators looking for new clues feature.

I must have posted this 20 times today. :banghead:

Please do not post as a local without being verified by the forum owner, Tricia. her user name is
Tricia
her email is
tgrif@xmission.com

Do not reveal personal information about yourself on this forum.

As time allows, we will have a list of verified locals in Kyron's forum. They will be added to our Professional Posters list. Be sure to contact Tricia in the meantime so you can be added right away.

Hi Ocean, About the truck I found this:

"If you go to http://www.koinlocal6.com/default.aspx and scroll down about half way you will see a "Special Features" tab with a thumbnail picture of searchers looking for Kyron and a link to an article called "Investigators looking for new clues". Underneath that link is the following text: "It has been 12 days since Kyron Horman was last seen. Investigators are searching new areas and providing more pictures to try to solicitate more tips from the public. Investigators also towed a truck from the Horman property and searched a neighbor's home."

Here is the truck being driven up the ramp. Looks like it was drivable IMO and hope this works:

Untitled-1.png

Off to look for ownership.

You are a sweet peach Scandi.

Thank you.

imo

Would someone mind telling if there is any new developments today. Thanks.

Welcome animefemme!

Politely snipped from the official website of the Oregon Clothing-Optional Beach Alliance:

A few of the activities, projects and goals of ORCOBA:

-Organizing social events at both beaches, including picnics and BBQ's.
-Organizing beach clean-up parties, and other work projects in cooperation
with official agencies.
-Participating in public awareness and education related to family-friendly
clothing-optional recreation at Sauvie Island and Rooster Rock.
-Promoting a better understanding of laws, rights and issues related to nudism, naturism and clothing-optional recreation.
-Monitoring conditions, issues and concerns at both beaches, and notifying
appropriate agencies and organizations if necessary.
-Acting as liaison between individual beach-goers, naturist organizations
and official agencies, working cooperatively toward making the beach environment a fun and positive experience for everyone.
-Promoting a safe, positive community environment on the beach.

Also Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collins_Beach_(Sauvie_Island)

From what my fiance tells me (I won't ask how he knows), it's clothing-optional, officially-sanctioned, and legitimate. I don't know if it has specific hours of operation, or closes down for the night (Edit: Thank you PDXMom for answering that tidbit!)

PDX: *waves* Nice too see another neighbor here too. :) I agree with you on going above my ASD...the head-honcho is absent for a little while, and it's extremely important in my company that I go through the proper channels and chain-of-command. Tomorrow I'll keep at him until I become so utterly annoying that he has to give in. :D If this is the only way I can help in some small capacity I NEED to do it.

An old mail box, that too could fit it. You guys are great. I get this in literally a nanosecond and if it stays long enough to remember it days later, I think it is something to consider.

You drawing is great Bern.

It looks like a rusted old two drawer file cabinet to me.

IMO

Did Kimster say Kyron's forum? ;)

It seems we are.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106885"]OR Kyron Forum - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Is SOP, Student Operated Press considered a blog? I have a link to an interesting article, but I can't post it if it's a blog.

What?

Links to blogs are fine; direct quotes from blogs are not.

I have never been personally involved in a high profile case like this but I do have some experience at fundraising and have learned a little about how to lure the media, feed them, tame them and keep them coming back for more.

If I were put in charge of running a publicity campaign for Kyron, I'd have the family do pretty much as they have done so far.

While I would hope that Kyron would be found within the next two hours, from the very beginning I'd be looking at the long run and how to keep the publicity going for as long as possible.

So, in the first week to two weeks of the search, I'd keep the family completely out of the media. There was plenty of interest without putting the family out there and the story was growing throughout the media steadily.

When the media stories started to lose momentum, when the volume of tips slowed down a little, that's when I'd start sending the family out for very short appearances to make statements. I wouldn't let them answer questions for several reasons: it's a very stressful experience for most people and they're already pegged on the stress meter; it's a difficult skill to learn and a poor presentation could derail the public investment in the search; it wouldn't be necessary in order to get interest going again; I would want to be very sure that the family would not say anything that LE does not want to have revealed, which is always a risk when answering questions ad lib.

When scripted family statements no longer grabbed media attention, then I'd select one family member to start doing talk shows. I'd select the calmest, least easily rattled parent. Based on very little actual info, I'd pick the stepdad. That person would do the round of talk shows.

When that one family member no longer generated much media interest, then I'd pick the next family member to go out and do the talk shows. And so on.

If the search was still going on and I'd "used up" all four parents, then I'd have the Hormans offer interviews in their own home. Allow news shows to come in and do the "day in the life of" sorts of interviews.

All this would keep the publicity cycle going pretty well for six months or so.

If there was still a need for more publicity, I might consider putting the older stepbrother out there. I'd be reluctant to do this because my impression is that kids who are hung out in the media often suffer secondary wounding from it. I think it would have to depend on what the stepbrother is willing to do, how mature the stepbrother is and how emotionally stable he was when that time came.

And I'd be organising one or more of the parents to write a book. I'd find them a good ghost/co-writer to work with, someone with a good track record for presenting victims in the most sympathetic but realistic way possible.

Finally, I'd be pushing for at least one parent to join or found an organisation related to missing children and have them hit the publicity trail for that organisation. The focus of their appearances would be for the organisation, of course, but it would be stipulated that Kyron's likeness and a short intro be done about his case for each appearance.

So far, the family is following my mental script! Makes me think I'm probably not the only person who thinks this way.

Another question for locals and TIA. Is Sauvie Island and the area below it popular for fishing? I think fishing season starts tomorrow so lots of people should be out and this weekend when it warms up. TIA

Yes, it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member