OR - Kyron Horman, 7 yo Second grader, Portland, 4 June 2010 - Part #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Two questions:
Is this farm market one of the ones that contracts with Skyline to provide food for student lunches?

Doesn't it seem just a little creepy that the school would take Kyron's classmates out there for a field trip at the same time that helicopters are circling overhead searching for him in the water and woods?

They did?? OMG

Two questions:
Is this farm market one of the ones that contracts with Skyline to provide food for student lunches?

Doesn't it seem just a little creepy that the school would take Kyron's classmates out there for a field trip at the same time that helicopters are circling overhead searching for him in the water and woods?

On your first question, I believe so (I think I saw some connection in one of the school's newsletters, but not sure if it "contracts" to provide food)

On your second question, yes

calliope - they have a farm to school program where local farmers provide some foods for the schools - yes, I know. Another can of worms!

When you stop and think about how many people have access to schools, it's quite daunting to consider.

Sofia, I'm citing a quote from a KGW news story: "As it happens one of the Skyline parents is . . ." - - goes on to say who, lives and has a farm market on Sauvie Island. Link to story, thread starts at about 1:50.

http://www.kgw.com/thesquare/Searching-for-Kyron-One-week-later-96194359.html

RoseCityGal

DK of K Farms “invited Kyron’s classmates 2nd and 3rd graders from the school to explore the farm and pick straberries today”.

That was Friday I think. Did they go there? Weird.

Exactly - on that particular day, who knows how many people would have been seen as "regulars" and not batted an eyelid at. Pretty scary!

On that video link, Farmer D. says he invited Kyron's classmates out there last Friday for a field trip to pick strawberries and it shows the kids playing in the background. That same video shows the searches on the island on the same day. What was the school thinking, did they not know where the searchers were? Too weird for me. What if something had been found and there was a sudden influx of crime scene personnel and who knows what kind of ambulances or coroners cars that the kids could have seen? As if just the helicopters overhead would not be bad enough.

jmoo

Kyron Harmon and his step-mom were at Skyline Elementary before 8 in the morning.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...on+Harmon+slide+show&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Since Stepmom and Kyron arrived 45 minutes before the 8:45 am start of school, this would certainly explain the emptiness of the room where Kyron’s science project was displayed. :waitasec:
kyron%20horman.jpg

IMO, it must have been much later that the school became full of people.
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Media/kyr...-school-boy-vanished/story?id=10864503&page=2

Pdx, I don't have the link to the first news story, but as I recall, in that story they said that one of his kids is a classmate of Kyron's. His wife was also shown holding a baby.
Thanks again :)

Two things that kinda bothered me about this school from the start is that it goes up to grade 8 (and with only 9 classroom teachers) with combined grade levels, and that it has roughly 30% transfers from out of neighborhood. That struck me as rather high, nearly a third. Maybe it isn't and I'm just out of the loop. And I don't think it's such a great idea to mix kids as old as 8th graders with the lower grades. These aren't Little House on the Prairie days any more.

Well, like it or not, it's definitely the trend here. In fact, I know of a preK-8. But I don't think the kids mix too much.
The transfers thing is very common here too (much to the dismay of at least one local high school...)

I agree. I took my son strawberry picking this weekend and my first thought was "not Sauvie Island." I didn't want to expose him to the search. I needed to take a break from worrying about Kyron myself too.

But were they wonderful? I fully intended to be at K's farm this past weekend but I was put off by current events too. :(
For those who don't know, Oregon strawberries are just about the best in the world, but they're only available for a few weeks.

dang, that's 2 OT posts from me today!

Two questions:

Question 1: I don't think so. This website says it's Zenger Farms and Growing Gardens. But I don't know how up to date that information is.
http://www.eatthinkgrow.pps.k12.or.us/.docs/pg/10079

Question 2: Yes! I thought so, too. If not creepy, definitely weird.

Two questions:

Raenn,
A fieldtrip to Krueger's ? When ? Do you happen to have a link ?

A little bit of info on Sauvie Island

In Short – Ten miles from downtown on Route 30, Sauvie Island is a combination of farmland, nurseries and light industry that also boasts a bird sanctuary, clothing-optional beach :eek: and perfect roads for cycling. The island is flat as a pancake, ideal for recreational riders. Pick a route from a large map at the base of the bridge that drops you onto the main road. In summer, stop at one of the fruit stands for fresh berries.

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond. I've been sitting here rather stunned at this post. Not to be a smartaleck, but why would you think the Horman's aren't entitled to the same rights as the rest of us?

Exactly - on that particular day, who knows how many people would have been seen as "regulars" and not batted an eyelid at. Pretty scary!
Not many regulars or irregulars were seen in the photo of Kyron and his science project on a day when the school was supposedly full of people. Maybe that is because stepmom took him to school 45 minutes before the start of the school day.:waitasec:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...on+Harmon+slide+show&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

kyronarm.jpg

I think it's a shadow on the tile floor from the morning sun slanting in the window.
There seems to be quite a bit of (probably in-camera) sharpening here. This would happen when the photo is taken early in the morning with available light and the camera tries to compensate for poor conditions. Still a wonderful memory photo. I think the left arm next to the desk is obscured by the oversize of the t-shirt.

Kyron Harmon and his step-mom were at Skyline Elementary before 8 in the morning.

Since Stepmom and Kyron arrived 45 minutes before the 8:45 am start of school, this would certainly explain the emptiness of the room where Kyron’s science project was displayed.
kyron%20horman.jpg

IMO, it must have been much later that the school became full of people.
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Media/kyr...-school-boy-vanished/story?id=10864503&page=2

One of those pics does have a man in it so there was a visual witness.

It looks like another long day gone by with not a bit of news. I was hoping something would happen by the time I got home from work.

I know LE likes to take their time dotting i's and crossing t's and such, but this waiting game is so frustrating. I'm very glad they've announced this is an isolated case and that no other children are in danger. Waiting is hard enough - but it would be agonizing if I had to worry about more children in the meantime. At this point, that's the only positive spin I can put on this thing.

Are they still searching the island today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3