Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bear with me-

Mostly random thoughts I am writing this out to help me keep fact straight. feel free to add or correct as needed!

Sheriff's office tight lipped.
1. reasoning
A. Too much media exposure could hurt the case i.e. gossip, rumor, gen panic, hurt procecution and or if alive hurt chances of finding him alive.
B. Given the amout of coverage in other cases, the lack of family response is kinda refreshing in a wierd way.

Sheriff's office giving egnigmatic information.
1. Reasoning
A. Not mentioning how long he can last with out food and water.
B. "heavy duty" police coverage for searching.
C. keeping most information very close to the vest on alomost all aspects of this case.

ok, I will stop for now (im at work don't want to get busted..lol) Please feel free to add or delete info as needed.:waitasec:

Transcribed from the four o'clock press conference yesterday - right from the horse's mouth - why LE is not releasing more information:

Our investigation at this point remains ongoing.

I realize that at earlier briefings Captain Gates has not able to answer all of your questions regarding the investigative portion of this operation.

I do want to reiterate that we don't release many details of an ongoing investigation for a number of reasons.

Early release of information can affect the operation and integrity of the investigation.

New and incoming information is often unconfirmed and needs substantiation prior to release.

Misleading information can harm both search efforts and the investigation.

If there is information that will cause community participation that will aid in search and rescue efforts, we will bring that information forward.

Link your LIP!

When you're posting about comments on articles and similar things, there's a handy acronym to keep in mind - LIP.

L - Link to the post or comment or article you're referring to, so people can find it. If it's something we're not permitted to link to, website or person's social site, or you're not sure, please PM a mod before posting about it or discussing it.

I - Identify the post or comment you're referring to, so people can get to it easily. Giving the date and time posted, for example, or a comment number, can help people find it more easily. This isn't a rule, just a nice thing to do.

P - Paraphrase what is said. Copy/pasting into WS is against guidelines, so just briefly say, in your own words, what the post or comment is about. Don't make people have to go hunting to find out what the comment is about! Just say briefly what it's about, and then people who want to know more about it, or read the full item, can follow your link to do so.

Thanks and I hope you find this as helpful as I do :)

BeanE

Thanks!! I was going to help with that last comment but I didn't know we are allowed to paraphrase. That helps a lot!

I imagine LE asked family about hobbies and interests, if Kyron had any particular places he seemed interested in, enjoyed visiting, exploring, stuff like that. Maybe he'd been bugging his parents to get him a horse. Here there is a stable/pasture just out of town where people living in the city board horses; a LOT of kids out there. Perhaps one of those horses at this pasture belongs to a friend of his. Heck, for all we know, it could belong to Kyron.
I was just wondering why he wanted it checked.Did he think the person who owned it had Kyron dead or alive there?or maybe Kyron wanted to go there.I wonder who's farm it was.

Is there a way for an "Asked and Answered" bullet list of questions that have repeatedly come up in Kyron's threads to be placed at the top of each new thread, so that we are not wasting time addressing the same questions over and over again?
TIA...

That would be a great project for today! We could put it in Kyron's media thread (link in my signature) and then link people right to the answer.

I always keep Kyron's media thread open in a separate window, so I can grab links quickly for people, and keep them from having to look all over the place. I also pop over to it when there's new info so I can add it in.

Keep in mind though, that we have new people joining us all the time, as well as people who are busy with work and kids and can only join us every few days, so questions are bound to be repeated.

I love the idea of being able to refer people to a 'Case FAQ'!

Another question that would be interesting to answer would be whether the kids were ever taken on "nature walks" or any other kind of exploration in the woods around the school. My kid's school was near by a little stream area and on occasion a science teacher would organize a field trip to the area and have parent volunteers to help monitor the kids. If anything like that was ever done, then I would tend more to think that he MIGHT of gone there alone for some reason.

O/T....the most notable memory I have of those trips was when one of the mom's showed up to supervise a nature/animal habitat trip wearing a full length FUR coat!!!!!

jmoo

I was just wondering why he wanted it checked.Did he think the person who owned it had Kyron dead or alive there?or maybe Kyron wanted to go there.I wonder who's farm it was.
Oh I know... was just speculating on why they'd check the pasture. It could be something as simple as Dad remembering Kyron showing an interest in the horses as they drove past one day. I would imagine they've been told to try to think of anything that could be a clue, regardless of how seemingly insignificant it may be.

I'm sorry.But I do fault the teacher and the school.Did it really take all day even Kyron not getting on the bus to notice he wasn't there.Why didn't the office know about this.Someone really screwed up here.

I think there are probably quite a few of us who can't discuss a lot right now b/c of what we're thinking happened here.

Yep. That's me too :(

YES---very strange that we haven't heard the 911 call---very strange. Thanks suzet for sheading that light.

And I've been thinking about this whole "not blaming the family" thing and "How would you feel if LE was pointing the finger at you and searching your home??"

Frankly, I would be honored that LE is EXHAUSTING EVERY SINGLE OPTION. Look at my husbands computer??? GO FOR IT. I would be more than happy to take a polygraph test. Search my home. Just do whatever it takes to at least make me think you are looking REALLY HARD. Now, as long as you are looking at other possiblilties/angles, then that all together works for me.

I'm not a mommy yet, as I just got married in April, but boy do I love children and I cannot wait to have them. There is no way I would ever harm my children, lol, and I'm not going to go into how ridiculously squeaky clean my hubby is, but GD FORBID anything would happen to our child, people will look at us, no matter what---and that is expected. Monsters like Casey Anthony and Susan Smith have made it this way. They've turned society against Moms and Dads, and step-parents. It's sad, but true--and sometimes VALID, as many do kill.

I'm NOT blaming anyone here in Kyron's case ok, so please try your best not to delete this post. I am just stating that IN EVERY MISSING CHILD/PERSON case, the police should look EVERYWHERE. JUST TO BE SURE, and that it is NATURAL to at least raise an eyebrow at family. Not always accurate, but expected.

And it is the family's job, aside from looking desparately for their child/loved one, to provide evidence of their innocence (if they are).

That being said...I will do my very best to stick to the rules of the forum!

and another day starts without finding Kyron....do we know for sure what the meeting with the parents was about?

Kyron had a cell with him?

I totally missed that...

The backpack was left in the classroom right? Still reading to get caught up and the threads are flying! So if his backpack was left in the classroom, then wouldn't his cell phone be in the backpack if he actually has one? I know every school is different but it's a policy at my son's school if a teacher sees a cell phone it's picked up. They can only keep cellphones in their backpack powered off. I also asked my son who's Kyron's age, how many kids in his class have cell phones, he said "none but alot of 3rd graders do". I know it's possible that he had a cellphone but I don't think so, jmo. I hope I'm wrong because the pings would help. Sweet boy, the science fair pic hurts, he's so proud. :(

So at this point, LE doesn't think there's been *any* crime. Just that he wandered off. *No* signs of *any* crime.

Okay, I'll trust LE - they're more experienced and knowledgeable than I am. I am not a professional. I'm going to get some coffee and a cranberry muffin. Fresh baked. I have a wonderful hubby - he bakes :)

Police: No indication Oregon boy's disappearance is abduction
June 11, 2010 10:32 a.m. EDT

One week after an Oregon boy vanished inside his school, police have no evidence to suggest the 7-year-old child was kidnapped.

"There's just no indication on anything we've got at this point that it was an abduction," Multnomah County Sheriff Dan Staton told CNN. "The child is still characterized as a missing child."

But Staton also warned that time was running out in locating Kyron Horman.
"We are still within our threshold limits to find this child alive and we are making every effort to continue that," the sheriff said. "But because we are into day 7, obviously the percentages of finding him alive are growing exponentially, and that is very concerning for us."

snip

"The last time this child was seen was inside the school and was never seen leaving the school," Staton told CNN. "There was nothing to indicate any kind of disruption inside the school. This is why it's so concerning to us."

snip

"We've got investigators that are looking at every aspect; looking at every area of criminal categories," Staton said. "At this point, it hasn't reached the level that we are looking at this as a crime."

Staton also praised Kyron's family for what he called being extremely cooperative.

"Based on the dynamics," Staton said, "people respond to this differently. Nothing unusual to the way they are responding to this."

snip

"This has been very traumatizing for them," he said, "and they prefer to remain tightly knit at this point."

Staton called this case especially disturbing.

"We are talking about a school," he said. "This is not about a child walking away in the woods or from a store, this is a school and it should be one of the safest environments other than your home."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/06/11/oregon.missing.boy/index.html?section=cnn_latest

That would be a great project for today! We could put it in Kyron's media thread (link in my signature) and then link people right to the answer.

I always keep Kyron's media thread open in a separate window, so I can grab links quickly for people, and keep them from having to look all over the place. I also pop over to it when there's new info so I can add it in.

Keep in mind though, that we have new people joining us all the time, as well as people who are busy with work and kids and can only join us every few days, so questions are bound to be repeated.

I love the idea of being able to refer people to a 'Case FAQ'!

Thank you BeanE! That would be very much appreciated!!
I do understand there are people joining all of the time that need to catch up, it just seems like that would be a quick reference to answers of some of the more repetitive questions- especially since there is so much discussion on Kyron's threads.
Thank you again!

The backpack was left in the classroom right? Still reading to get caught up and the threads are flying! So if his backpack was left in the classroom, then wouldn't his cell phone be in the backpack if he actually has one? I know every school is different but it's a policy at my son's school if a teacher sees a cell phone it's picked up. They can only keep cellphones in their backpack powered off. I also asked my son who's Kyron's age, how many kids in his class have cell phones, he said "none but alot of 3rd graders do". I know it's possible that he had a cellphone but I don't think so, jmo. I hope I'm wrong because the pings would help. Sweet boy, the science fair pic hurts, he's so proud. :(

Hi TXHOPE,
Interesting thing : I live in a small community with a very high percentage of Microsoft employees. Kids here are so tech savvy ; not only do they have cell phones at Kyron's age,but they have camera phones.In fact the camera application is the main attraction it seems. I wonder if that isn't also the case with Kyron ; after all his dad is an Intel employee. Just a thought....

Sooo, the new news is LE's theory is he walked away...

Hi TXHOPE,
Interesting thing : I live in a small community with a very high percentage of Microsoft employees. Kids here are so tech savvy ; not only do they have cell phones at Kyron's age,but they have camera phones.In fact the camera application is the main attraction it seems. I wonder if that isn't also the case with Kyron ; after all his dad is an Intel employee. Just a thought....

Hi! Yes very possible, I just wonder what the school policy is on cell phones.

Clarification for everyone:
There is no confirmation or suggestion from LE that Kyron had a cell phone. If someone has a link to this info, please post.
This thought grew out of speculation as to why SAR was using a 2 mile radius in their search efforts.

1-3 mile radiuses are very, very common in SAR work. It is also common for pings from cell towers to triangulate signals using those similar parameters. This does not mean Kyron had a cell phone or did not have a cell phone. It is simply the way both SAR teams and cell companies use radiuses in search efforts.

ETA: I agree, it is very common for kids to have cell phones, iTouches etc these days. If anyone has a link to info that implies Kyron had any type of device like this on him when he disappeared, I would love to see it. TIA....

I saw those posts earlier & they bother me b/c it's like some huge secret that can't be shared with the rest of WS'ers ... shouldn't have been commented on publicly IMO

This case is bizarre.

Had to sleep for a few hours...when is the press conference scheduled for today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member