Found Deceased OR - Matthew Lang, 33, Bend, 27 Oct 2020 *car found badly crashed*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It's very common for family members not to make statements that might compromise criminal investigation but additionally they might not want to mention if evidence was beginning to suggest the victim had been engaged in some kind of crime when the incident occurred.

I don't think badly injured people often pause in their stumbling to empty out their wallets before going on to stumble several hundred yards further and fall in a river. I suppose someone may have just happened across the wrecked car with no one in it but a wallet laying there and decided to steal the contents opportunistically.
Maybe he just didn’t have any cash on him and had accidentally left his id at home. I only have cash after the holidays or birthdays when generous relatives kindly gift it.

Seems so odd he would have gotten out of his car, crossed the road and ended up in the lake. Re-posting the Google map, left side is where the wreck happened, turn right to the lake and it looks pretty steep. Maybe he fell?

Just seems so illogical to not follow the road and look for cars, but then I've never had a concussion or been in a serious wreck.

خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

I'm starting to get the idea that this was a planned suicide attempt, and when he didn't die on impact, he either mistakenly wandered to the embankment and wound up in the water, or did so on purpose.

Alternately, I did start to wonder if he were being chased by someone, leading to a high speed collision, and the person chasing him was able to...what...extract him from the vehicle and throw his body over an embankment to discard 'evidence'? It seems less likely now that I've played it out in my head, but not impossible.

The wreck surely had enough force to eject him from the vehicle, leaving either him or his belongings on the side of the road. What he did from there is still such a huge mystery.

Rest in peace Matthew, may you get to see every Crack Rock Steady 7 show up there. ;)

This is so sad. It sounds like a terrible accident and I don’t know why they’d be investigating it as a crime? If they are. The driver’s side window was busted out so I think he was ejected along with some of his belongings and injured he stumbled across the road and fell into the river. There are so many reasons that could explain why his ID wasn’t in his wallet. It could have been in his pocket or he left it somewhere or even in his confused state he could have taken it out and with him. If it was with him it could be lost in the river. I don’t know. Maybe his parents have information that it could have been a crime, but just looking at the facts we know it seems more likely to me that it was an accident and not that someone murdered him by making him wreck and dragging him to the river. So sad.

I invite everyone to take a close look at the accident scene photos and at the map. He lost control and slid off the West side of the road, the side without a guardrail. It was the outside of a turn and that's a pretty normal place to go off the road, taking a turn at too high a rate of speed. You can see that when he hit the dirt one of the wheels dug enough to be torn off and the car flipped. It's down a bit of an embankment so it's not that surprising for it to flip but he would have been going pretty fast to tear that wheel off like that.

So he's crashed and he's injured but he manages to crawl out the window, leaving his phone in the car. He climbs up the embankment to the road but he doesn't wait for a car to come. He doesn't follow the road, continuing the way he was headed. He crosses the road, climbs over a guardrail, descends a steep forested embankment and falls in the river? Seriously, if you haven't looked at the street view I encourage you to do so. One wouldn't just step off the road, fall into the river and be carried those several hundred yards. It would be a climb to make your way down there even for an uninjured person.

I invite everyone to take a close look at the accident scene photos and at the map. He lost control and slid off the West side of the road, the side without a guardrail. It was the outside of a turn and that's a pretty normal place to go off the road, taking a turn at too high a rate of speed. You can see that when he hit the dirt one of the wheels dug enough to be torn off and the car flipped. It's down a bit of an embankment so it's not that surprising for it to flip but he would have been going pretty fast to tear that wheel off like that.

So he's crashed and he's injured but he manages to crawl out the window, leaving his phone in the car. He climbs up the embankment to the road but he doesn't wait for a car to come. He doesn't follow the road, continuing the way he was headed. He crosses the road, climbs over a guardrail, descends a steep forested embankment and falls in the river? Seriously, if you haven't looked at the street view I encourage you to do so. One wouldn't just step off the road, fall into the river and be carried those several hundred yards. It would be a climb to make your way down there even for an uninjured person.
Could he have been ejected toward the top of the embankment instead of crawling out at the bottom after it came to rest? The busted driver’s side window made me think he was ejected. I did look at the street view and I agree it seems like a feat for a critically injured person to make it up the hill, across the road and down to the river. But I can’t really think of why/what else could have happened? Do you think he was chased and then after crashing the pursuer took his ID and maybe money and then drug him to the river to hide his body? It sounds like his mother thinks something other than an accident occurred. It’s very strange!

Please share the link(s) to the info you're referring to.

Please share the link(s) to the info you're referring to.

Accident scene photos :
This public Facebook page for Matthew has some more information:
Help us find Matthew Lang

Matthews phone found inside the car, wallet found nearby with no cash or ID.

That’s interesting that cash and ID were not in wallet.

car crash photo attached from Facebook page dedicated to Matthew

Google map street view of crash site :
Seems so odd he would have gotten out of his car, crossed the road and ended up in the lake. Re-posting the Google map, left side is where the wreck happened, turn right to the lake and it looks pretty steep. Maybe he fell?

Just seems so illogical to not follow the road and look for cars, but then I've never had a concussion or been in a serious wreck.

خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

I agree that it doesn't make logical sense, but if you've just been in a crash and are dealing with a head injury, it is hard to know what is the "logical thing to do". Seeking out water if you felt you needed to clean a wound or are very thirsty isn't totally irrational behavior. Also it has happened that people who feel they may get in trouble for the accident could avoid staying on the road and seeking help.

I hope it all will be thoroughly investigated but I don't think there is enough information available to determine with any certainty that there must have been a second party involved.

I don't know what to think honestly. Logistically it screams suspicious and I'm going to have to wait until the autopsy report is released to see what it shows

Crazier accidents have been ruled accidental when I just can't picture the physics.
West Virginia and Jaleayah Davis

Oregon State Police deduced that the driver's door window had been kicked out from inside the crashed vehicle. Blood inside the vehicle. Matthew's shoe, sweater with glass and wallet were found together, albeit scattered (found by family / friends / co-workers) some (unknown) distance away from the crash site on the road and downhill. (This was after the SAR dogs had been to and gone from the crash site without getting Matthew's scent.) Downhill being in the direction of Peyton Bridge. It appears there could be this scenario: The victim was physically able enough and of sound mind enough to bust out the window and walk some (unknown) distance away from the crashed vehicle. It is unknown the extent of his injuries from the initial crash and at this point his mental or physical condition or both may be diminishing. It is this writer's opinion that IF the victim was walking on the road THEN something happened to cause his shoe, sweater and wallet to become separated both from themselves and from him and land on the roadway. Possibly vehicle/ pedestrian? But then again, since the SAR dogs didn't scent the victim in the immediate area of the crash it suggests ejection. However, the victim being located several hundred yards from the crash site does imply that the victim was able to somehow manage to travel another (estimated) hundred yards-ish and end up in the water after being ejected. Some questions: How far from the crash site were the victim's items found? How far is it to the water from where the items were found? How far is it to the water from the crash site? Is the water downhill from where the items were found in the road? Did the shoe / sweater / wallet have blood on them? Is the glass on the sweater from the victim's crashed vehicle? Was the victim's other shoe located? Was the found shoe laced and tied? Did the victim normally carry his wallet in his pants pocket? What is the condition of the found shoe? Where is the other shoe? Did the victim survive the crash and walk away on the road and subsequently get struck by a vehicle and be knocked out of his shoe(s) from the impact and thrown towards the water? The said items being located on the road downhill from and BEFORE the vehicle left the roadway and rolled over refutes the theory of the victim being ejected upon impact. The items located on the roadway would likely have had to be located outside of the range that the SAR dogs searched, otherwise it would have been the SAR dogs that located the items... Questions that lead to more questions... WHEN did the accident occur? 6am is still dark at that time in Oregon. 6am is referenced by the victim's Mom in an interview. The LE responded to the incident at 5:30pm. 5:30pn is still daylight hours in Oregon. In fact checking some comments made by the general public on Facebook regarding this incident: Referring to the area where the crash happened as a remote backroad in the woods... lonely stretch of highway... According to Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) traffic count statistics and the Medford Transportation System Plan (MTSP) data OR62 AKA Crater Lake Highway is a critical connecting route from the Medford metropolis to Interstate 5 that has a high volume of traffic. In at least one of the photos of the crash site two oncoming vehicles are present. A local to the area commented that there is even more traffic at this time of the year due to the "daily work - daily pay" system having to do with the processing of Marijuana plants during harvest time.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste
Back