Found Deceased OR - Melissa Marie Jubane, 32, Beaverton, 4 September 2024 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Some new details.... They found the victim 3am Saturday after they arrested Bryce Friday night. Perhaps he told them where he hid her. JMO

Some notes paraphrased from the subscription article (some might be a repeat of what you already know):
  • (Definitely a repeat because I posted this upthread): He plead not guilty. The judge couldn't accept the plea because court procedure don't allow defendants in felony cases to enter their pleas before a grand jury has issued an indictment, which in this case, they have not. What's surprising to me is you'd think BS's PD would know that, yet they did it anyway. Maybe one of you knows whether or not that's some sort of tactic attorney's use?
  • She last locked her door at 6:22am.
  • Supporters of both Melissa and JS were in attendance.
  • An attorney asked the judge to seal records which reveal more details about what happened. This included the application for a search warrant affidavit, and also a summary of evidence police found after their search, plus their probable cause doc.
  • He has no opportunity to post bail.
That's about it!

There is a search organized and the meetup is the parking lot of the Costco in Beaverton. This spot was chosen because it is close to her apartment building. Draw your own conclusions. Moo
My conclusion is that CostCo parking has a lot of space for a lot of cars so they chose it for that reason.

Any ideas as to why the judge would agree to seal the affidavit for the search warrant and summary of evidence? Since it is sealed, does that typically mean it would remain sealed until an actual trial or is it likely it would be unsealed before then?

Do we know if a grand jury has returned an indictment yet? If not, how soon might that be? Could waiting on that be the reason the judge sealed the arrest affidavit and evidence list?

I would assume many police officers end up working professionally with many different hospital staff. I wouldn’t be surprised if a nurse or doctor called a police officer they knew professionally to get the ball rolling. MOO
I live nearby. We have wonderful police and good response times. I don't think it has anything to do with demographics. Years ago, I called in a neighbors door was open during a winter storm, with the house dark inside. They asked me if I had gone in to check on them, and I said 'absolutely not' as a woman alone at night.

They came within 10 minutes, checked the house, shut the door. The owner didn't realize the door was open and not locked and was out of town. This is a typical response from our police. They actually are able to respond, make decisions, and have our best interests at heart. If we lived in downtown Portland (a different county) that would be completely different. They don't have the resources we do.

Agreed. I think it will turn out he was raised in an ultra-religious household as well.
I personally do not think religion/ how he was raised has anything to do this case. I do believe this crime was targeted and he was fulfilling a need sexually because he was rejected. My Pandora box meant how he might have treated his past significant others JMO

I agree; it's not the norm that someone missing work would get a welfare check with an apartment entry so quickly. It surprised me they were even willing to welfare check at all so quickly, based on no-call, no-show at work.

(And while I'm glad she was checked on so quickly, I really hope that decision was based on facts law enforcement received during the report, and not demographics.)
I posted to this elsewhere, but our police are getting better about this. I think just like things have changed with responses to active shooters (i.e., not waiting outside the school but barging in and confronting), our police realizes that when someone known to be responsive and responsible doesn't show up, either from a hike or drive to work or whatever, swift action can save their lives. In this case, I think the reason Bryce was caught is because our police acted, as they should, very quickly. Wouldn't it be wonderful if this response was the norm?

Any ideas as to why the judge would agree to seal the affidavit for the search warrant and summary of evidence? Since it is sealed, does that typically mean it would remain sealed until an actual trial or is it likely it would be unsealed before then?

Do we know if a grand jury has returned an indictment yet? If not, how soon might that be? Could waiting on that be the reason the judge sealed the arrest affidavit and evidence list?
I'm perplexed why info is sealed. It's unusual, in my observation.

(And, it's not unheard of, I realize that, to seal documents.)

jmo

Does anyone have confirmation where her body was found? To the neighbors, you would have seen a white van, most likely, and perhaps forensics. My hunch is he lured her in, did the unthinkable, had a plan in place to dispose of her, but the police acted so quickly he may not have been able to act on that plan. Or...he did act on the plan (wheeling her out in suitcases, driving to a remote area), and they were able to find her - or he told them where she was.

Since he plead not guilty, I'm leaning towards he wasn't able to take her body away from his residence. They had hound dogs on the scene pretty fast.

As a reminder, I think the reason the police were able to act so quickly is because her FOB showed her locking her apartment door at 6:30 AM, like she always did, but then her phone turned off at 7 AM, and her car remained in the parking lot. Colleagues at the search told me she *always* drove to work and she was never late.

So the police were like, okay - she locked her apartment at 6:30 AM, but her car is still there, but she isn't seen on cameras leaving the apartment building - she's gotta be in there with some nut job. Good instincts by our police to take it so seriously and not assume she 'walked away' somehow of her own volition.

I live nearby. We have wonderful police and good response times. I don't think it has anything to do with demographics. Years ago, I called in a neighbors door was open during a winter storm, with the house dark inside. They asked me if I had gone in to check on them, and I said 'absolutely not' as a woman alone at night.

They came within 10 minutes, checked the house, shut the door. The owner didn't realize the door was open and not locked and was out of town. This is a typical response from our police. They actually are able to respond, make decisions, and have our best interests at heart. If we lived in downtown Portland (a different county) that would be completely different. They don't have the resources we do.
I wouldn't have gone in either! That said, I used to be the CEO of a small company that owned several retail businesses, which included a restaurant and I was on the list for the alarm company to call if there was a problem. The alarm went off at the restaurant in the middle of a snowstorm, and I figured it was probably just the wind that caused it. So, I went up at 2am, by myself (I had an SUV lol) and went in and turned the alarm off. The police showed up and it was an officer that I went to college with. He read me the riot act for going in alone! I had done it so many times!!! So, the next time it happened, I went to the site and sat in the car and waited for the police. The cop says, "you can go in an turn that off" and I'm like "nope, you go in and once it's clear, I will". Lesson learned!!!

I personally do not think religion/ how he was raised has anything to do this case. I do believe this crime was targeted and he was fulfilling a need sexually because he was rejected. My Pandora box meant how he might have treated his past significant others JMO
No worries. I didn't mean to assume you thought religion had any play in this. This is solely my hunch, based on his photos. I'm not blaming religion as much as how some folks with ultra-religious upbringings are taught to keep their emotions in check, pray the sin away, and the parents would ignore alarming details. I'm guessing this will come out.

I'm perplexed why info is sealed. It's unusual, in my observation.

(And, it's not unheard of, I realize that, to seal documents.)

jmo
IMO, the grand jury needs to reach an indictment first before you can plea. The judge even said she couldn't accept his not guilty plea yet. The PC needs to be kept confidential until the GJ meets. I suspect there might be more charges after the GJ meets. They meet on Weds and Thursdays in Washington County. JMO

No worries. I didn't mean to assume you thought religion had any play in this. This is solely my hunch, based on his photos. I'm not blaming religion as much as how some folks with ultra-religious upbringings are taught to keep their emotions in check, pray the sin away, and the parents would ignore alarming details. I'm guessing this will come out.
I'm also expecting a religious background, and I am not casting dispersion on that or making assumptions other than I'm expecting a close family, and only mention it because it seemed people were jumping on the storyline of him being "failure to launch" type of perp, without direction, neglected, etc., when I think his background is the opposite.

I'm speculating and sharing my hunch at this point.

jmo

Some new details.... They found the victim 3am Saturday after they arrested Bryce Friday night. Perhaps he told them where he hid her. JMO

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION: cited below, dated 9/7/2024: "As a result of an extensive investigation, it was determined that one of Melissa’s neighbors, 27-year-old Bryce Johnathan Schubert of Beaverton was involved in her disappearance. Subsequently, Schubert was arrested this evening and charged with Melissa’s murder. Melissa Jubane’s remains have been recovered."

CITATION: Beaverton Police Department | Beaverton OR
Case Update: 9/07/24
Investigation Update — Melissa Jubane Found Deceased

This is an active investigation. While we acknowledge the significant community interest and concern, we must withhold further details to preserve the integrity of the investigation. Tips related to this case are still welcome. Please call 503.526.2280 to provide information.
We extend our heartfelt gratitude to the community members who have assisted with the search for Melissa. Our deepest condolences go out to Melissa’s family, friends and coworkers.

I'm also expecting a religious background, and I am not casting dispersion on that or making assumptions other than I'm expecting a close family, and only mention it because it seemed people were jumping on the storyline of him being "failure to launch" type of perp, without direction, neglected, etc., when I think his background is the opposite.

I'm speculating and sharing my hunch at this point.

jmo
I disagree. I see it as a guy who got rejected after months of trying to score a date with her and it pissed him off. Wouldn't be the first case where this has happened. Ultra conservative or just a conservative family home and certain haircuts doesn't make a human attack a woman for whatever his reasons he had. Bryce made a choice all by himself and committed a crime . JMO

I disagree. I see it as a guy who got rejected after months of trying to score a date with her and it pissed him off. Wouldn't be the first case where this has happened. Ultra conservative or just a conservative family home and certain haircuts doesn't make a human attack a woman for whatever his reasons he had. Bryce made a choice all by himself and committed a crime . JMO
My point it, he doesn't seem like a "failure to launch" type. He graduated college and has a career. (I don't defend his actions, of course, and consider him a predator.)

jmo

My point it, he doesn't seem like a "failure to launch" type. He graduated college and has a career. (I don't defend his actions, of course, and consider him a predator.)

jmo
Failure to launch can effect anyone. JMO

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member