OR OR - Michael Bryson, 27, wandered away from friends @ campground party, Cottage Grove, 5 Aug 2020

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Family reflects one year after Michael Bryson's disappearance

One year after Michael Bryson's disappearance, parents Parrish and Tina Bryson say every day their son is missing gets a little tougher, but the hope is never gone.

"There's been a lot of peaks and valleys," Parrish said as he described the past year.

The Facebook group dedicated to finding Michael has garnered more than 20,000 members.

"We couldn't have done this without the amount of love and support we received," Tina said. "Those messages have kept us going."

The Brysons believe foul play was involved from the evidence they have gathered.

"Michael is not just a missing person, he is a victim," Tina said.

Lane County Sheriff’s Office said they have about three binders filled with tips and leads from the community and that search efforts continue for Michael.

"I wish we had results a long time ago on this case," said Sgt. Tom Speldrich. "We haven't, but we have not given up."

According to LE, the case is still considered “active” although there have been no new developments since December 2020.

Family reflects one year after Michael Bryson's disappearance

They now say they’re just one week away from creating a nonprofit organization called the Michael Bryson Foundation to help families solve missing person cases and advocate for those with mental illness.

Parrish and Tina said mental illness was something Michael coped with.

"Looking back now, we believe he was bipolar," Parrish said. "I've been able to reach someone before they committed suicide because of Michael's story."

One woman shared with the Brysons that Michael's story saved her son's life.

She writes in part: "Nine-and-a-half months ago my 17-year-old son was going through an especially hard time. I had moments of finding him passed out behind the wheel of his car after using drugs to self-medicate. Michael and your story saved my son's life."

A Year Later, the Search Continues for Michael Bryson

A year after his disappearance in the Lane County Wilderness, the search for Michael Bryson continues.

Family and friends have also organized volunteer efforts to locate him over the past year.

The Lane County Sheriff’s Office says Michael’s case is still assigned to a detective, and a recent search of the area didn’t turn up any new clues.

“We have an extensive case-packet and the case remains active,” said LCSO Sgt. Tom Speldrich.

A Facebook group dedicated to finding Michael has grown to more than 21,000 followers since his disappearance.

More than a year has passed since Michael Bryson went missing in the Umpqua National Forest, but his parents, Tina and Parrish Bryson, are no less determined to find him.

They described the past 14 months as an emotional roller coaster, with highs when they get new information and lows when the tips fizzle out.

Michael Bryson was 27 when he went missing Aug. 5, 2020, during a party at Hobo Campground, which his parents described as a rave.

Michael Bryson wandered away from the campsite at around 4:30 a.m., Lane County Sheriff’s Office reported at the time.

The sheriff’s office still has a detective assigned full-time to the case and has been working it on a “near-daily basis,” but there hasn’t been any major progress, Sgt. Thomas Speldrich said.

In December 2020, following up on a tip, the sheriff’s office found multiple items of clothing in the woods Bryson was last seen wearing, according to Parrish Bryson. He was skeptical about the tip and said he thinks the items were planted by someone.

Bryson’s parents are convinced someone murdered their son, though police have found no evidence of it so far. Tina Bryson also told the Register-Guard she doesn’t believe he walked away.

14 months after his disappearance, Michael Bryson's family and friends still actively searching

Okay, here is my personal opinion.
After reading this, I just wanted to say something. I am around Michael's age. I have been writing and editing an article about Michael for my job for quite some time. This means, you guessed it, TONS of research. Research, research, research. And many enlightening conversations with people close to the case due to a Facebook group for Michael I had joined and was quite active in for some time.

The Brysons need to stop talking negatively about ALL the partygoers, just lumping them into one big group. Not all of those partygoers were friends with Michael. To them, it's probably "just some kid lost in the woods, he'll be found soon". Tina has consistently been quoted saying awful things about how Michael's friends didn't care about him. I personally can assure you she is not correct on that. Michael's friends had been forced to make an entirely separate Facebook group regarding him as they were pushed totally out of the group by "hippie-hating" BS (those are his initials and they fit) the ex-cop "PI" that the Brysons hired... a guy that hated all of Michael's friends and probably would've hated Michael too, judging by his wild assumptions about anyone who seemed different from him.

Michael, being a 27 year old guy, had a whole separate life from his parents and had his parents on what I call an "information diet". I would bet money on the fact that Michael wandered off into the woods. His parents want someone to pay for their kid being gone, which I get. They've been given the information multiple times now by his friends regarding who at the party said they saw him last and this person had even texted someone else at the party that she "spun Michael out" and now he's lost in the woods. She said those exact things. Spinning someone out refers to getting them higher than they expected to be, usually as a "joke". A joke that's not funny in any sense.

Michael's parents and many members of their very interesting FB group (aka "Michael's Army") are willing to spit vitriol towards anyone who was there that night. Using the Facebook group created to raise awareness for your missing son to lead an attack against your son's entire friend group... even though they have tried just as hard as you to find him... is really out there.

Last edited:
Okay, here is my personal opinion.
Michael's parents and many members of their very interesting FB group (aka "Michael's Army") are willing to spit vitriol towards anyone who was there that night. Using the Facebook group created to raise awareness for your missing son to lead an attack against your son's entire friend group... even though they have tried just as hard as you to find him... is really out there.

I am in that group, although not actively. I also live here and have known a few of the people involved. I'm not seeing what you're describing from that group, beyond a few vague "We're coming for you" statements NOT directed at specific people. I tend to agree that it's likely he wandered off and just hasn't been found yet. But there is also some shady behavior that make the family suspicious of them.

In some ways, it's a little like the Laundrie case, where they aren't getting many straight answers and some people have refused to speak about it. While they are well within their right, and may honestly not have any further information to tell, it leads to wild speculation.

I just don't see the vitriol you are talking about. They seem like kind people and have helped quite a few of the "kids" that were there that night. They're sad and frustrated parents. And like a lot of parents who have lost their children, they seek someone to blame, even if there is no basis. Cut them some slack.

I am in that group, although not actively. I also live here and have known a few of the people involved. I'm not seeing what you're describing from that group, beyond a few vague "We're coming for you" statements NOT directed at specific people. I tend to agree that it's likely he wandered off and just hasn't been found yet. But there is also some shady behavior that make the family suspicious of them.

She openly accuses his friends of "having drug businesses" and committing a murder. She likes comments and responds positively to comments threatening violence to anyone who was there that night. Your thoughts of them are kind, but unfortunately, incorrect. :(

Their PI pulled a gun on one of Michael's best friends. This was easily findable information, as it was discussed in the podcast about Michael that came out, Nowhere to be Found by Amanda Popineau; a podcast that did fantastic work digging into Michael's case. I highly recommend it.
‎Nowhere to be Found on Apple Podcasts

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 10.41.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 10.41.11 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 10.42.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 10.42.54 PM.png
    522.4 KB · Views: 31
She openly accuses his friends of "having drug businesses" and committing a murder. She likes comments and responds positively to comments threatening violence to anyone who was there that night. Your thoughts of them are kind, but unfortunately, incorrect. :(

Their PI pulled a gun on one of Michael's best friends. This was easily findable information, as it was discussed in the podcast about Michael that came out, Nowhere to be Found by Amanda Popineau; a podcast that did fantastic work digging into Michael's case. I highly recommend it.
‎Nowhere to be Found on Apple Podcasts

In responding to what was stated in this particular post:
I respectfully have to disagree with your statement that the other member is wrong in regards to their thoughts towards Michael’s parents. @lilithblue shared how they felt and although you may not feel the same way, that doesn’t mean they’re wrong…and vis versa.

I read the two posts shared by Michael’s mother. IMO, when I read them I see a mother who misses her son and desperately wants to find him..and if that means making others involved uncomfortable so be it; seems she is willing to fight or do whatever is needed in finding answers that will lead to finding Michael. I don’t recall her calling out a particular person in the posts shared, but rather mentioning “those who may be involved” in general. So if a person was there that night AND
A) didn’t have a drug business
B)wasn’t involved in any way with Michael’s disappearance
then I’d think her posts wouldn’t bother them too much.
Again, RESPECTFULLY JMO.

I think about this case often. I can never quite come to a conclusion on what I think happened but I keep coming back to the swimming hole, his clothes nearby and just feel like it is a good possibility he met his demise at night where no one saw and his remains are long spread along the creek bottom for miles. Looking at the photos online, the water can get waist high in some places and it gets very rocky with steep sides and short waterfalls and dense veg that could very easily conceal. I wonder how much of the trails were walked with cadaver dogs.

<modsnip> this ex-cop (BS) doesn't seem to have been hired. He apparently volunteered his services to them. He's not currently listed as a PI in Oregon (Department of Public Safety Standards & Training : Information Records Inquiry System - I.R.I.S : Private Investigator : State of Oregon) so if he has been representing himself as such there could be consequences. <modsnip> So it's pretty hard to see why he would ever be a good choice to investigate a missing person at a drug party in Oregon. MOO.

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip> this ex-cop (BS) doesn't seem to have been hired. He apparently volunteered his services to them. He's not currently listed as a PI in Oregon (Department of Public Safety Standards & Training : Information Records Inquiry System - I.R.I.S : Private Investigator : State of Oregon) so if he has been representing himself as such there could be consequences. <modsnip> So it's pretty hard to see why he would ever be a good choice to investigate a missing person at a drug party in Oregon. MOO.
WOW. That makes it all the more disturbing honestly. And Michael's parents did not care if BS went on a crazy rampage against everyone. Again, you guys, one of Michael's best friends was invited for a talk with Michael's dad and BS right after Michael went missing. This friend has claimed, and I believe him, that BS pulled a gun on him in a hotel room during that "talk". He was trying to help the family but he felt they put his life in danger with this unstable character they hardly knew. If anyone is on the FB page for Michael, search BS's posts if they're still on there. Very scary suggestions he had that the family 100% endorsed. At first I sided with his parents, but now I know too much.

Eight years of Dateline's Missing in America: 169 still missing

michael_bryson.jpg

Michael Bryson stopped by his parents’ house in Harrisburg, Oregon on August 3, 2020 before riding up with a friend to a week-long birthday party/camping trip at Hobo Camp Campground near Dorena, Oregon. The 27-year-old of Eugene, Oregon, had a passion for music and was often invited to DJ sets at parties and raves across the state -- including where he was last seen at the Hobo Camp Campground in the early morning hours of August 5, 2020. He reportedly wandered away from a group of friends who were partying at the campground and has not been seen since. His camping gear was left behind and he hasn’t accessed his bank account. A Facebook group called “Let’s Find Michael Bryson” has more than 22,000 members who include family, friends, the community and people from around the world. Detective Richard Smith of the Lane County Sheriff’s Office told Dateline that Michael’s disappearance is still an ongoing, active investigation and that they are doing everything they can to bring him home. He added there have been no developments in the past year. In October 2021, Michael’s parents launched the Michael Bryson Foundation to help families solve missing person cases and advocate for those with mental illness. Michael is described as being 6', weighing approximately 180 lbs, with short brown hair and hazel eyes. He was last seen wearing a white t-shirt, tan shorts, and white Crocs with rainbows on them. He might also have been wearing a brown, corduroy baseball cap. He has several tattoos on both legs, his ribs, and his arms. A $10,000 reward gathered by his family is being offered for information that leads to Michael. Anyone who may have information about his whereabouts is asked to contact the Lane County Sheriff's Office at 541-682-4150 then press 1 and reference case #20-5286

this person had even texted someone else at the party that she "spun Michael out" and now he's lost in the woods. She said those exact things. Spinning someone out refers to getting them higher than they expected to be, usually as a "joke". A joke that's not funny in any sense.

I "foul" play means spinning someone out, like this, I can see that. On the other hand I guess he took it himself and willingly. It's an endless discussion. I think his remains are somewhere out there. I've seen cases where multiple searches were done, nothing found, and afterwards a body or remains were found (not meaning staging, laid there afterwards) due to the dense and rough terrain.

He was last seen wearing a white t-shirt, tan shorts, and white Crocs with rainbows on them. He might also have been wearing a brown, corduroy baseball cap.

What exact items were found near the pool?

Drug use can lead to hypothermia, overheating of the body. Could explain why he took of his clothes. Don't know the camping circumstances. Was there plenty of water available to cool down?

MDMA or some other drug use Why Does Ecstasy Cause Dehydration & Perspiration? leads to over-excitation of the central nervous system and an increase in neuronal firing, particularly neurons that release the neurotransmitters serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine in conjunction with the sympathetic nervous system activation. This leads to vasoconstriction, which can lead to increased heat production and difficulty with heat dissipation in the body. The increase in body temperature can be particularly problematic when individuals are in an environment where there is little ventilation, such as a party or club. When the drug is used in these tight surroundings, individuals can become overheated rapidly.

Hyperthermia can be fatal as a result of brain damage associated with overheating. Ecstasy use also increases the potential for neurotoxic effects as a result of the neurons in the brain rapidly firing and becoming damaged.

Adding that up with a possible bipolar disorder or other mental illness (where certain neurons are overly sensitive or certain brain fluids not working well) there is a big change he totally lost himself and died there in the woods.

It's all so very sad. I totally can understand the parent's pain, losing their beautiful son. Looking for answers and blaming other's (and probably themselves, with or without a reason) is all very human. People tend to do that. I wholehearted hope they find him eventually.

Michael Bryson - Disappeared

Updated April 28, 2022

Disappearance
On Monday August 3, Michael stopped by his parents house in Harrisburg, Oregon and told them he was leaving for a week long birthday party/camping trip with a friend.

At 8:30 pm that evening, Michael and his friend Ben left Eugene and headed out to the Hobo Camp campground located off Brice Creek Road, just west of Champion Creek Road near Dorena, Oregon.

At approximately 11:30 pm on August 4, Michael’s friend Ben went to sleep. This is the last confirmed sighting of Michael.

At 4:30 am on August 5, Michael reportedly wandered away from the campground, but it’s unknown what direction he headed.

He left his camping gear behind at the campground, his phone was powered off, and his bank account hasn’t been accessed since.

Family members reported Michael missing when he did not return home.

The Lane County Sheriff’s Office has been investigating the case. Horses, drones, and hundreds of rescue volunteers searched the campground near Dorena, but turned up few clues as to Bryson’s whereabouts.

……..

Investigating Agency
If you have any information regarding the disappearance of Michael Bryson please contact Parrish Bryson at (541) 513-3413, or the Lane County Sheriff’s Office at 541-682-4150.

The family is offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to the discovery of their son.

Resources & Further Information
Lets Find Michael Bryson – Facebook
Michael Bryson Foundation
Michael Bryson – NamUS
Nowhere To Be Found – Podcast

News & Media Links
Eugene man last seen at campground SE of Cottage Grove – KVAL 08/20
Eugene man reported missing after camping trip – KEZI 08/20
Sheriff’s office asks for help locating missing man last seen at Lane County campground – Fox12 08/20
Search Efforts Ramp Up For Missing Eugene Man – KEZI 08/20
Two Weeks After Disappearance, Eugene Man Still Missing – KLCC 08/20
No new clues in search for missing 27 year old, sheriff’s office says – Register Guard 08/20
Family Holds Vigil For Missing Eugene Man – KEZI 08/20
Parents fear the worst six weeks after son Michael Bryson vanished from Oregon campground – NBC 09/20
Family Of Oregon Man Who Vanished From Campsite Searching For ‘Closure’– Oxygen 09/20
New podcast hopes to help find Michael Bryson – KEZI 10/20
Podcast Explores Mystery Of Missing Eugenean Michael Bryson – KLCC 10/20

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jkn1989