OR - Nine killed in Umpqua Community College shooting, Roseburg, 1 Oct 2015 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know we used to be a nation of respect and decorum. The media didn't chase celebrities down like foxes being hunted and respected basic privacy. The media was more responsible in reporting and was often active in attempting to make society safer.

For example, there have been cases where the media worked with the police in their responses and reaction to serial killers who communicated with newspapers or just in reporting things a certain way so as to cause a reaction in the monster.

It is time for some of that attitude now. We need to put people over profits. It is about morality and self-preservation.

Pretty much all these murderers are rage-filled, alienated, socially awkward or seriously mentally ill young men in their teens or twenties who feel insignificant and isolated. They feel this is the way to become famous, be "special", be powerful and to force everyone to hear them.

It's simple: Deny them their fame and their voice. Every single media outlet in America should agree to a pact to deny these creeps the "reward" they feel they get from this.

Do not name them.

Do not identify them.

Do not speak about their lives or backgrounds.

Do not call them macho-sounding things like "killer" or "gunman".

Do not plaster their photo across the airwaves or in newspapers like heroes.

Refer to to them as what they are: Murderers and cowards. Period.

I've said this many times before. I sincerely believe these mass murders would decline in frequency if that's what would happen.

I get the whole gun control debate. But every time something like this happens, the focus is on guns and not mental health. There is no way this guy was mentally stable and just snapped. The US fails, tragically, in caring for the mentally ill and that failure gets swept under the rug by the very political gun control debate, every, single time.

His apartment is in Winchester, OR. Is that near Roseburg?

You know we used to be a nation of respect and decorum. The media didn't chase celebrities down like foxes being hunted and respected basic privacy. The media was more responsible in reporting and was often active in attempting to make society safer.

For example, there have been cases where the media worked with the police in their responses and reaction to serial killers who communicated with newspapers or just in reporting things a certain way so as to cause a reaction in the monster.

It is time for some of that attitude now. We need to put people over profits. It is about morality and self-preservation.

Pretty much all these murderers are rage-filled, alienated, socially awkward or seriously mentally ill young men in their teens or twenties who feel insignificant and isolated. They feel this is the way to become famous, be "special", be powerful and to force everyone to hear them.

It's simple: Deny them their fame as their voice. Every single media outlet in America should agree to a pact to deny these creeps the "reward" they feel they get from this.

Do not name them.

Do not identify them.

Do not speak about their lives or backgrounds.

Do not call them macho-sounding things like "killer" or "gunman".

Do not plaster their photo across the airwaves or in newspapers like heroes.

Refer to to them as what they are: Murderers and cowards. Period.

I've said this many times before. I sincerely believe these mass
murders would decline in frequency if that's what would happen.

But none of those things will sell papers, get clicks and shares, or get people to turn the channel while the football game is on. What happens to TMZ, Nancy Grace, and 25hour news cycles all day every day if we stop feeding the machine?

I've only done it once. Over 20 years ago and it was a giggle fest and then i passed out. Wouldn't be able to get off the floor.

Ironically, today is the first day of legal recreational marijuana sales in Oregon. Should've been a day to celebrate and instead we're grieving over the pointless loss of life.

His apartment is in Winchester, OR. Is that near Roseburg?

Correct. KGW reporting it's between town and the campus.

ETA Winchester is just south of the North Umpqua river. College is just north of the river.

Saw a visual of them setting up for the presser

Sheriff Hanlin speaking

"Focus is on the families and victims. "
"Considered a mass casualty, with certain protocols,...not being able to release the names of victims until tomorrow"
asking media to "respect the victims, respect the families"
"I will not name the shooter. I will not give him the credit he probably sought..."

Interesting that Oregon also has a Gov. Brown. Earlier when they said Gov. Brown will speak, I wondered why would Jerry Brown be speaking?:thinking:

Amazing. I dont understand the cowardice of shooting unarmed school children? The most vulnerable.
Should they put bright yellow coward stickers over the shooters coffin?
Should the shooter be forced to wear "I am a coward" tshirt when convicted?
I think this is the message they are missing.

You go Sheriff. He will never speak his name. Ever.

"we encourage the media to avoid using it [shooter's name].. not to glorify it"

"two heroic officers"

Other nations have plenty of issues and people take psychotropic meds, They have violent video games, divorce, abuse of all kinds.

There is one thing most nations do not have. The one thing that is the difference.

Sheriff: Let me be clear. I will not name the shooter. I will not give him the credit...

Media will get it in time, but you will not hear me utter his name

^^^not verbatim, but close^^^ He also encouraged the media not to, in so many words, turn him into a celebrity.

Go, Sheriff Hanlin!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member