OR - Nine killed in Umpqua Community College shooting, Roseburg, 1 Oct 2015 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
KATU-TV Portland, Oregon- "Most aren't from Roseburg, most never knew Treven Anspach or his family, but when they heard members of the Westboro Baptist Church might come to this small town to protest a memorial service for the UCC shooting victim, they decided to come as well. "Normally we don't all run together but for events like this we put our differences aside and come together as one," Bill Hagedorn said. Hagedorn helped organize the ride, bikers from all over Oregon dropped what they were doing to join in. "When you think of it in your heart it, that it could be your kid who was there, it really touches home for everybody," Hagedorn said.
Their bikes lined the streets, their flags held high along the sidewalks, all so those inside the memorial service could honor Treven in peace."

http://www.katu.com/news/local/Memorial-held-for-UCC-shooring-victim-333692431.html

Is the disgusting Westboro Church still at it? It's basically one inbred family doing all this damage. When are they going to give it up? :mad:

Is the disgusting Westboro Church still at it? It's basically one inbred family doing all this damage. When are they going to give it up? :mad:

I would think if the funeral was at a privately owned cemetery the Westboro crowd could be kept off the property.

I too think she could have been charged with something -it is interesting , to me, that most are focusing on the gun angle - I am coming from the angle of like parenting, prtecting others etc, - taking him out to gun rage , negliance just from an angle like that ?

I understand he is her child (hard for a parent to do )but I def think any commiment court would have no other choice but to place him personally in long term placement. Bed availabilty is huge problem , but as far as our discussion here, one adult who only communicates via email, to other individual living in the residence ,for an enduring timeperoid, is certainly indicative of severe mental problems.

in addition, it is somewhat perplexing that she was not concerned about her own safety. By this point in her life , she certainly had to be aware of the extadinary "impulsivity" of the illiness in conunction with the lack of self regualtion.

A bowl of apples out on the table, is different than leaving guns out , about, and everywhere, is a bad decision for anyone.............BUT in this sitution??

I found it. It was on the 8th.

He talks about if she knew he had mental issues and if she acted recklessly, and says "We hold people accountable under certain circumstances. And this... I don't know if this is one, but it may be."

There's no specific mention of a crime or what she did that was illegal, just they have "Cases like this" or something. I don't think she could be charged with anything if he got any guns himself legally. I believe people who have mental illnesses can buy guns under most circumstances, it's only when they've been committed or somehow found mentally defective. (I think this would refer to being found not guilty by mental defect, or having someone legally take power of attorney or be responsible for someone's care.)

Under a federal law enacted in 1968, an individual is prohibited from buying or possessing firearms for life if he/she has been “adjudicated as a mental defective” or “committed to a mental institution.”
http://csgv.org/issues/guns-and-mental-health/

If he was unable to legally buy weapons and she supplied him with them then I could understand her being charged, but if he got his own legally what did she do wrong? How much did she know?

eta: The link I provided was the first one I found wrt people with mental illnesses buying weapons, but I'll keep looking.

I too think she could have been charged with something -it is interesting , to me, that most are focusing on the gun angle - I am coming from the angle of like parenting, prtecting others etc, - taking him out to gun rage , negliance just from an angle like that ?

He is 26 years old

Reckless endangerment charges cover a broad range of actions that involve the intentional disregard of the safety of another person.
In order to be found guilty of reckless endangerment, the state must prove that the defendant understood that their actions posed a great risk of harm, and disregarded that risk and continued to perform the action.
- See more at: http://www.legalmatch.com/law-libra...ndangerment-charges.html#sthash.gurprcSv.dpuf

http://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/reckless-endangerment-charges.html

Fl
ulpable Negligence” is a serious criminal offense that may be classified as a misdemeanor or felony. Culpable negligence is a charge that assigns criminal liability for gross acts of negligence that expose others to harm or the threat of harm.

http://www.husseinandwebber.com/crimes/violent-crimes/culpable-negligence/

None of the authorities OR politicians have suggested any charges against her and the media has NOT hounded her.

The only reason we know much about her is because the media was desperate for more info to report on and she had posts online so they published the posts. It took days to even find photos of her (the big networks were not posting her photo, some were even altering his photo so that may explain why).

In contrast do you believe NL would have gotten away with NOT being charged had she survived? Because at the very very least I do believe there would have been calls to consider charging her OR to make her the poster child for new gun restrictions.

Hi Sonya

Why did they........alterering his photo .....how that is odd no?

Reckless endangerment charges cover a broad range of actions that involve the intentional disregard of the safety of another person.
In order to be found guilty of reckless endangerment, the state must prove that the defendant understood that their actions posed a great risk of harm, and disregarded that risk and continued to perform the action.
- See more at: http://www.legalmatch.com/law-libra...ndangerment-charges.html#sthash.gurprcSv.dpuf

http://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/reckless-endangerment-charges.html

Fl
ulpable Negligence” is a serious criminal offense that may be classified as a misdemeanor or felony. Culpable negligence is a charge that assigns criminal liability for gross acts of negligence that expose others to harm or the threat of harm.

You know better than I about this. Parents with schizophrenic adult children have a heck of a time getting any help because taking medication is a choice . Horrible behaviors go on and on. What is it that he was doing that would be a cause for alarm?

There are people on different forums that do the very same behaviors in terms of paranoia. Beng unfriendly and sitting alone playing video games probably is like a lot of people. Having autism is not against the law.

Mother was expressing her legal right to be paranoid and carry weapons and practice with said weapons in order to be a responsible owner.

This is what America wants and we have it.

Hi Sonya

Why did they........alterering his photo .....how that is odd no?

That was claimed by some right wing conspiracy website that CNN had lightened his photo. The site were asked to provide proof of it, show the picture actually being aired on CNN, and nothing was provided, but they would not take the comment or the picture they had off their site.

Fl

I don't know for sure but I think without some real proof they couldn't do anything to her. If he'd told her his plan and there was a record of it or if a professional warned her maybe they could, but I doubt either one happened. I think it would have to be the equivalent of leaving guns out around a child, wouldn't it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You know better than I about this. Parents with schizophrenic adult children have a heck of a time getting any help because taking medication is a choice . Horrible behaviors go on and on. What is it that he was doing that would be a cause for alarm?

There are people on different forums that do the very same behaviors in terms of paranoia. Beng unfriendly and sitting alone playing video games probably is like a lot of people. Having autism is not against the law.

Mother was expressing her legal right to be paranoid and carry weapons and practice with said weapons in order to be a responsible owner.

This is what America wants and we have it.

Hi human !!

Warning- turned into a rant !!

I agree with your post. Medciation non compliance is huge in any mental issue meds.

You know what is really nausating about big pharm and western medicine. ? Neither care - its all$$$.

I am bipolar but knew about neurotransmiter testing.

Its actually evil. Docs and Pharm KNOW clinically that it is out there. But guess what happens if the med they give helps, with minimal side effect profile? They do not need to come in as often.

There are basically 4 main neurotransmitters involved . Between my spelling and typing I am going to do it this way ! (long words ha!) so the neurotransmitters are apple orange lemon pear!

All the psyc meds increase or decrease the levels of the four in our brains. Docs listen to symptoms for 4 minutes and throw some drug they think might work (there are also huge correlations to what perks (travel etc) a particular phar company is offerings. Sorry just the truth.

BUt if they did neurotransmitter level testing on everyone, they could make a much better first guess at what med might actually help with a low side effect profile.

I will just do my profile. My apple levels were minboggling low, while my pear level was off the chart. So if the guess the doc makes is a med that lowers my apple levels , while increasing my pear levels well ths side effects are horrid. Throw in if that same pill (my orange was pretty ok) increase OR decreases my orange level then another whole mess is invented.

There are lots of those in the field who think they are not accurate - but is not perfectly perfect a reason not to run them. IMO, no! In terms of my curiosity (my vocation) after i did the first one saliva, then about 4 months later (this was before I started meds) another one via urine. It sure convinced me that it could be a super tool to help folks get on a med that will help.

In both tests, ALL my neurotransmitters had the SAME interaction patterns in terms of which were low (and the severity of the lack of it in my brain) and the numbing high amount of the other. In addition all the others that were relativliy normal came out in the same pattern.

Went off track here (!) with schizophrenics they have long lasting injecatables- typically last 30 days, but most of these individuals have horrid side effects so the don't want to take them, and or , if they dint know the time of day they dont have the capacity to take them correctly. But think of the millions that could live much easier lives if it amounts to a visit a month in the tush!

BUT in order to force someone who refuses meds is a huge court ordeal. Would it not be cool , just like getting a drivers license (!) if the process could be streamlined to where it takes I don't know 3 docs to certify that the individual does not have the mental capacity to determine the benefits of taking the med.

Here we come again the inevitable's are expensive and insurance does not want to pay (stupid- stupid they would save billions not having these folks constantly admitted inpt over and over and over and the quality of life wow

I have very rarely seen the antidepressants help most. And think about it is all about money money money ...................Why is a new antidepressant "launched" every 6 months. Simple whats out there is not working. Why is big pharm investing billions getting them approved? Cause they sell! $

How many versions of insulin do we have? Not 457! Why-- cause Insulin works!!!

Ty for allowing me to vent! Rant over !

https://www.labrix.com/NeurotransmitterTesting

Injectables :

.......higher percentage of patients who did not require hospitalization (89.1%), did not relapse (85.4%) or neither required hospitalization nor relapsed (82.4%) as compared retrospectively with the same period for the previous treatment (67%, 47.8% and 59.8%,

Half did not relapse

pretty amazing huh?
37.5 mg, or $1,185 a month (2013)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18774869

Re Neurotransmitter testing

This is evidenced by nearly 300 articles in leading medical and research publications whose researchers use these technologies in their work. The testing is sound in its reliability, reproducibility, and accuracy.

http://www.sanescohealth.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Neurotransmitter_Validity_White_Paper.pdf

Just wanted to give idea of cost of neuro testing $100-400
http://www.integrativepsychiatry.net/neurotransmitter_tests.html

I hope that folks here who know folks suffering forward some of this stuff to those suffering

I understand he is her child (hard for a parent to do )but I def think any commiment court would have no other choice but to place him personally in long term placement. Bed availabilty is huge problem , but as far as our discussion here, one adult who only communicates via email, to other individual living in the residence ,for an enduring timeperoid, is certainly indicative of severe mental problems.

in addition, it is somewhat perplexing that she was not concerned about her own safety. By this point in her life , she certainly had to be aware of the extadinary "impulsivity" of the illiness in conunction with the lack of self regualtion.

A bowl of apples out on the table, is different than leaving guns out , about, and everywhere, is a bad decision for anyone.............BUT in this sitution??

Why wasn't she concerned for her own safety? I wonder that too. Maybe she was that unaware and if that's the case she wasn't being negligent when it came to the weapons.

Years ago my parents had a neighbor that was a doc. When his kids were born, he got diapers for them.Don't know about anything else.

Meds are used in Europe as well. They seem more restrictive as to what they allow but I have no idea exept that I know of 5 mentally ill people that are taking meds, Four of them are messed up from using illegal drugs so that may be different in terms of treatment?

It is not as if other places in the world do not have these mental health issues.

What works?

Why wasn't she concerned for her own safety? I wonder that too. Maybe she was that unaware and if that's the case she wasn't being negligent when it came to the weapons.

Because she saw nothibg strsnge about having and wanting weapons, The more the better. Going to the range to hone skills is advised. She was worried about outside threats.

Hi human !!

I agree with your post. Medciation non compliance is huge in any mental issue meds.

You know what is really nausating about big pharm and western medicine. ?I am bipolar,, but knew about eurotranmitter testing.
Its actually evil. Docs and Pharm KNOW clinically that it is out there. There are basically 4 main neurotransmitters involved . Between my spelling and typing I am going to do it this way ! (long words ha!) so the neurotransmitters are apple orange lemon pear!

All the psyc meds increase or decrease the levels of the four in our brains. Docs listen to symptoms for 4 minutes and throw some drug they think might work (there are also huge correlations to what perks (travel etc) a particular phar company is offerings. Sorry just the truth.

BUt if they did neurotransmitter level testing on everyone, they could make a much better first guess at what med might actually help with a low side effect profile.

I will just do my profile. My apple levels were minboggling low, while my pear level was off the chart. So if the guess the doc makes is a med that lowers my apple levels , while increasing my pear levels well ths side effects are horrid. Throw in if that same pill (my orange was pretty ok) increase OR decreases my orange level then another whole mess is invented.

There are lots of those in the field who think they are not accurate - but is not perfectly perfect a reason not to run them. IMO, no! In terms of my curiosity (my vocation) after i did the first one saliva, then about 4 months later (this was before I started meds) another one via urine. It sure convinced me that it could be a super tool to help folks get on a med that will help.

In both tests, ALL my neurotransmitters had the SAME interaction patterns in terms of which were low (and the severity of the lack of it in my brain) and the numbing high amount of the other. In addition all the others that were relativliy normal came out in the same pattern.

Went off track here (!) with schizophrenics they have long lasting injecatables- typically last 30 days, but most of these individuals have horrid side effects so the don't want to take them, and or , if they dint know the time of day they dont have the capacity to take them correctly. But think of the millions that could live much easier lives if it amounts to a visit a month in the tush!

BUT in order to force someone who refuses meds is a huge court ordeal. Would it not be cool , just like getting a drivers license (!) if the process could be streamlined to where it takes I don't know 3 docs to certify that the individual does not have the mental capacity to determine the benefits of taking the med.

Here we come again the inevitable's are expensive and insurance does not want to pay (stupid- stupid they would save billions not having these folks constantly admitted inpt over and over and over and the quality of life wow

I have very rarely seen the antidepressants help most. And think about it is all about money money money ...................What a new antidepressant is "launched" what every 6 months. Why is big pharm investing billions getting them approved? Cause they sell! $

How many versions of insulin do we have? Not 457! Why-- cause Insulin works!!!

Testing is also expensive. It's much cheaper to give someone a med and wait two weeks to see what happens.

People will be non-compliant as long as there are side effects, imo, and the cost of drugs can be prohibitive. How many people quit their meds - even though they work - because they can't afford them? I've known many. Compliance is a huge issue for lots of reasons.

Years ago my parents had a neighbor that was a doc. When his kids were born, he got diapers for them.Don't know about anything else.

Meds are used in Europe as well. They seem more restrictive as to what they allow but I have no idea exept that I know of 5 mentally ill people that are taking meds, Four of them are messed up from using illegal drugs so that may be different in terms of treatment?

It is not as if other places in the world do not have these mental health issues.

What works?

What works is far too expensive. Individual therapy, consistent treatment, frequent appointments with specialists, a complex and carefully balanced medication plan, financial assistance, job skill programs, education... Much cheaper to have a primary care physician prescribe psych meds until there's a crisis.

After reading Chris Mintz's account of the UCC shooting, it brings back memories of a similar situation that I had experienced. It is difficult to define that eerie silence that occurs right before walking into a shooter situation and the confusion that follows. Twenty years ago, I stood four feet from a gunman with an AK-47 in the Portland, Oregon KOIN Center. Luckily I heard a shout by a janitor and was warned not to open the door where the shooter was standing behind. The only thing separating me and the shooter, was a sheet of glass. That warning shout probably prevented me from getting shot or being taken hostage. A few of us were able to back away, as the gunman's rifle jammed, and we were able to direct the police and FBI to where the shooter was located. Waves of people started running out the side of the building, as the shooter was taking hostages. A couple of us made our way back and we proceeded to stop people from walking toward the building, until a perimeter was set up by LE. Now twenty years later, someone about the same age with similar red flags, does the same thing. The difference between these two scenarios is that the UCC shooter succeeded at taking innocent lives. 1996 was still the time period when they negotiated with the shooters. I remember the long 4 hour standoff and not being able to retrieve my car until late in the night. I am thankful that policies have changed over the years and LE decided to rush the UCC shooter and save lives. For future studies, we definitely need to take a look at these attempted mass murder incidents along with the mass murder incidents.

Here is the article about the 1996 Portland, Oregon KOIN Center shooting.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=gEAvAAAAIBAJ&sjid=3t8FAAAAIBAJ&pg=1393%2C249423

You can see the similarities that the KOIN Center shooter(attempted mass murderer) had with the UCC shooter(mass murderer):

1. His mother stated that he had "a long history of mental problems"and she believed that "he had a death wish" and was "an angry young man". Even with these red flags he was able to purchase rifles and guns.
2. He wore military style fatigues.
3. He came to the crime scene with an overstock on rifles, guns, knives and ammo in a bag. - AK-47, shotgun, 9mm and another rifle in his car.
4. He had a frustration with the government and institutions that control everything.
5. He idolized militia organizations.
6. One person described him as depressed, sometimes sexist and didn't know what to expect out of life.
7. He was in his middle twenties
8. His former employer said that they had no reason to believe that Rincker " had anything in his past that would prompt him to do anything of this nature". He passed a drug test and a background check.
9. Roommate described him as "distant and far away"
10. A coworker recalled Rincker having "Temper Tantrums"!

So if these mass shooters are staying under the radar before the shooting, without raising any major red flags, then at what point can they be stopped at? It appears that in both cases that the mothers witnessed some mental health issues with their sons long before their attacks. The KOIN Center shooter's mom mentioned that her son had a "Death Wish". The UCC shooter had already once attempted suicide. Both shooters should have raised high level red flags, yet both were still able to have free access to and the ability to purchase guns and rifles that were used in the shootings.

A basic definition of mass murder:

Dr. Scott Bonn a professor of sociology and criminology at Drew University states :
"A mass murder sometimes occurs when the perpetrator, who may be deeply troubled, suffers a psychotic break from reality and strikes out at his/her perceived tormentors in a blitz-like attack"...."From a social-psychological perspective, mass murder is an act of vengeance against society by a desperate and fatalistic individual who has no intention of going away quietly or returning to kill another day. "
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/wicked-deeds/201502/how-mass-murder-and-serial-murder-differ

It is obvious that the shooter had some sort of previous psychotic break if he had attempted suicide, during basic training. One study revealed that 31 percent of soldiers attempting suicide had mental disorders even before they entered the military. There were probably warning signs long before he had even enlisted.
http://www.medpagetoday.com/Psychiatry/Depression/44586
Basic training is made to test a recruit's physical and mental capabilities. If stress can induce psychosis, then basic training would most likely bring that out in a person. Between 1977 and 2001, 28 out of the 46 suicides in basic training were from the US Army. The army statistics seem higher than other branches, because it consists of the reserves and national guard members that go through basic training. Most suicide attempts in basic training did not result in death.
https://books.google.com/books?id=b...icide rates among army basic training&f=false
I went through basic training at Ft. Jackson, South Carolina many decades ago, when I was 17. I remember the high humidity and lots of cockroaches in the old WW2 Barracks on Tank Hill. A persons identity is lost with a shaved head, being issued the same BDU's as everyone else and being called only by a person's last name. I remember getting homesick from being thousands of miles away from home. The change from civilian to military life does cause a lot of stress during that first month. There was a suicide in a different squad where one young lady had taken her life at the rifle range. I believe that she had gotten the round from target practice, and went into to the restroom where she took her life. This incident was the exception. Most recruits are monitored and filtered out before they reach that point. They usually get swept out of the system with what is called a "Trainee Discharge". This discharge is looked at as "for the good of the Army". It is also good for the safety of all of the recruits, because toward the end of basic training, everyone has to handle high caliber weapons, including throwing live grenades. A Trainee Discharge is not the same as a Dishonorable Discharge, and it will not affect an individuals ability to purchase weapons at a later date. Maybe this is a loophole that needs to be fixed. A Trainee Discharge, based on a suicide attempt, does not cause a red flag, preventing future weapons purchases. If he would have received a Dishonorable Discharge, that is like a felony conviction, and can block a person from being able to purchase a firearm. I think that there should be some sort of red flag given to high risk Trainee Discharges. Having a system where a mental health evaluation is administered before they can have access to a weapon, protects them and might prevent future killings.

I am sure that everyone deals with stress differently. I do believe that this type of stress can be bring out the signs of a pre-existing mental illness. The problems is, to what level do these symptoms have to appear, to be considered a red flag? And if they are discharged due to a suicide attempt, what kind of mental health services do they have when they go back home? The mental illness is no longer a problem for the military once a person is discharged, so then it now becomes an issue for society. What services are available to follow up and take responsibility for the treatment once the military is no longer in the picture? The stress of basic training could have contributed to a Psychotic episode, which he might have suffered for a short time, then after he was discharged he might have went back under the radar in civilian life. There are studies that show that people with pre-existing mental health disorders and PTSD are more more susceptible to diagnosis of a new mental disorder after a traumatic event. For some the traumatic event might be a natural disaster, for others it might be military basic training.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23364127
Here is a link to a legal ruling of an individual who suffered PTSD in the 1960's from The Marines Boot Camp. He also received a Trainee Discharge (discharge for reason of unsuitability-inaptitude):
http://www.va.gov/vetapp13/Files1/1309291.txt
By not accurately diagnosing an existing disorder, we might be increasing future mental health issues on individuals. Someone with an already pre-existing mental illness might actually obtain PTSD after being at basic training for over a month, if he did not already have the coping skills upon entering.

There is a stress induced psychotic break called " Brief Reactive Psychosis(DSM 4)/Brief Psychotic Disorder (DSM 5)" also known as Time-Limited Schizophrenia. Often diagnosed in people in their late 20's early 30's. This is where the person has a stressful event as a catalyst followed by possible delusions. These symptoms go away in under a months time. Maybe this person has a history of short term problems, but when the psychosis goes away, they can continue to appear normal enough to still stay under the radar.
http://psychcentral.com/disorders/brief-psychotic-disorder-symptoms/

The media is quick to broadcast the headlines that the shooters were on the autism spectrum. In many of the cases, we do not even know if they have even been officially diagnosed by a professional. The media doesn't seem to realize, that by running the autism and mass murder headlines, that they are branding thousands of innocent people with a dangerous label. Understand that Chris Mintz, one of the UCC heroes and victims, is a proud father of a child who has ASD. So when the media is trying to create headlines blaming ASD, they are probably causing further damage to some of the victims involved.
https://www.myautism.org/oregon-school-shooting-hero-is-also-an-autism-father/
After Sandy Hook there were studies/hypotheses regarding Autism and Psychosis, and their relationship to violence. This does not mean that if people have Autism (ASD), that they are on a path to become the next mass shooter. We have to remember that Correlation does not imply causation. Just because the shooter might have had ASD, and also carried out a mass murder, that it does not mean that the ASD was the primary factor causing him to kill. I think that it is far more complex, and many variables are involved. In fact, the study is only speculating that the mass murderers even fall under that ASD diagnosis. They are saying that with a combination of ASD and Psychosis, that it might create a "one-two punch" and increase the risk of violent acts.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23786904
In one discussion about the study, they summed it up best with this paragraph:
"The answer, we’re told (in the study), is a combination of autism, and psychosis. Autism is not associated with violence per se, but psychosis is – and rates of psychosis are higher in autistics. What’s worse, in such cases, psychotic symptoms may go undiagnosed and untreated because they’re written off as just part of the autism."
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/neuroskeptic/2013/06/27/autism-psychosis-mass-murder/
I think that the above quote about misdiagnosed psychosis, sums up why we might have a problem trying to find red flags on mass killers, before they act. Psychosis symptoms can be misdiagnosed and thought of as part of the existing ASD or other mental health issues. As many professionals have pointed out, that mass killers and even serial killers many times, do not fall under one specific diagnosis. Many times they have a combination of many disorders, where the symptoms overlap.

The Treatment Advocacy Center believes that there is an increase in mass killings and that at least half of those individuals exhibited behavior of suggestive of psychosis:

"Even though the 30 killings took place over a 50-year period, 21 of them (70 percent) took place in the most recent years, from 1986-1998. This suggests that there has been an increase in the incidence of such killings. Twelve perpetrators had psychotic symptoms at the time of the killings and another 8 individuals “exhibited behavior suggestive of psychosis;” thus 20 of the 30 perpetrators (67%) had definite or probable psychosis. "........."Four surveys published between 1999 and 2012 suggest that: 1) mass killings are increasing in incidence; and 2) individuals with severe mental illness are probably responsible for approximately half of such killings."
Are mass killings associated with untreated mental illness increasing?
http://www.treatmentadvocacycenter.org/about-us/reports-studies-backgrounders/2531

Myths of Mass Murder
is an excellent article. Here is a quote regarding mental illness and mass murders. The article is definitely worth the read. The author specifies that most professionals are too simplistic in their diagnosis of mass murderers.

"Most of those we have studied in our research, and I have evaluated for court purposes, are complex in their motivations and psychopathology and cannot be placed in such simple categories. In our language, they often have both mental disorders and personality disorders. Mental disorders range from chronic psychotic disturbances, such as schizophrenia diagnosed in the Jared Loughner case, to major depression, other depressive disorders, bipolar disorders, and other paranoid disorders, such as persecutory delusional disorder. Fully understanding the range and complexity of these individuals’ disturbances is critical. Personality disorders also abound in this group of dangerous subjects. We have found that personality disorders in mass murderers are often a mixture of antisocial, paranoid, narcissistic, and schizoid traits—someone who habitually engages in criminal behavior, is suspicious of others’ actions, is self-centered and grandiose with little empathy for others, and is chronically indifferent toward others and detached from his emotional life. It takes little imagination to see how such an individual, in the right circumstances, could intentionally kill others."
Seven Myths of Mass Murder Misunderstandings of the public—and many professionals—concerning massacres. - J. Reid Meloy, Ph.D
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-forensic-files/201404/seven-myths-mass-murder

That was claimed by some right wing conspiracy website that CNN had lightened his photo. The site were asked to provide proof of it, show the picture actually being aired on CNN, and nothing was provided, but they would not take the comment or the picture they had off their site.

If it wasn't true I am sure CNN's army of lawyers would sue the bejeesus out of the website and webmaster. You can be sure the photos would have been removed by the website owner post hast when the cease and desist letters threatening massive lawsuits came rolling in.

It is quite possible the photos were put on CNN's website and later removed.

Sasquatch, Thank you for your very well researched post. Your own traumatic personal experience adds weight also. I'm so sorry you went through that, but I'm glad it wasn't the disaster we are seeing so often now. It is indeed a complex problem that cannot be reduced to sound bites, either by gun control advocates or mental health advocates. Both certainly are issues that need to be on the table, but as you outlined, identifying and stopping a mass murderer is not a simple fix. And I don't really see a solution happening any time soon.
JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elementpro
Back