Found Deceased OR - Owen Klinger, 18, University of Portland, 6 Oct 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The roommate became concerned so very quickly, something like 4 hours after seeing Owen last. This leads me to believe Owen had parents and friends really paying close attention to him, hovering, scrutinizing. If this was a long term pattern i think it could lead an 18 year old to explore a more secretive aspect of themselves (sexual, narcotics, hitch-hiking/trains). Pure speculation, but i never pursued living dorms because i knew they'd police my comings and goings, even kick you out for smelling a little pot smoke. If Owens expectations of respect and privacy were not met, maybe he was carrying some resentment thus no call or letter explaining movements.
Edit: no fun in this dorm environment, Owen couldn't even have a 1 night stand (normal for college) and show up the next morning without family and police being notified. Just can't imagine him being pleased with this environment.

I really think you're onto something. I would have gone nuts if my parents were in the same city or my roommates were scrutinizing my comings and goings. My parents refused to let me leave the state (but ended up not providing much financial support anyway) but I got as far to the other end of the state as I could (400 miles away). My roommate was often out all night, right from week 1. She had lots of dates. I myself did tons of stupid things late at night, and survived, but I would not have wanted scrutiny.

Even a small invasion of privacy can set off an 18 year old into basically no contact. I wonder if he had internet encouragement to go off and have a good time/different life for a while.

Your point about how he couldn't even have a one night stand, if that's what he wanted, is an excellent point. Gah. No life for an 18 year old, IMO.

I just want to throw in that as a college prof, I see students all the time whose parents don't know them as well as the parents think. Their behavior on campus and with their college friends can be wildly different than the conforming behavior they exhibited while growing up. Going off the grid or riding trains across the country are commonly expressed ideas, occasionally a student acts on it. One guy took off to parts unknown, came back six months later looking very different (bearded, much more muscular, had been hiking a lot, very tanned) but also with a wolf-dog he'd acquired in Canada. He'd spent most of his time in Canada (he's from SoCal) and learned all about cold weather in Manitoba (lower Manitoba). He then spent time in South Dakota, attempted to join in some Native ceremonies (successfully, really) and then came back with a bunch of pretty good fiction and poetry.

That's just one example. I have quite a few like that.
That is a valuable perspective. Owen surely knew about people his age doing long thru hikes like the PCT. Pacific Crest Trail passes about 50 miles from the Portland area. And i feel that every year the popularity and media attention of the PCT grows. Perhaps hearing the successful tales of long term low budget travel inspired Owen to hit the road, albeit in a reckless manner, and on the cusp of cold wet weather moving in. Had this occurred in July i'd place an even bigger likelihood on the scenario. Something along the lines of vanishing for a music festival, burning man.

^To maybe add another layer to that, it seems that one of his parent's first instincts was to check their cabin. I know the dad mentioned the area it was in in (I believe in one of the videos posted early on in the search). They did a search up there, found it untouched and I would hope someone's gone back to check it again since then- surely that would be on LE's radar, right?

Here is what I keep coming back to:

All of the evidence that points to Owen going missing voluntarily is physical (he withdrew cash, he turned off his phone, he is seen alone on video footage, he lied to roommates). I know the parents dispute that we know it was Owen who shut off his phone but based on the timing of when it shut off and when he was seen alone on video footage I think we can be pretty sure about this.

That said, all of the evidence that points to Owen going train hopping is circumstantial (he watched a movie that might have inspired him, he watched YouTube videos on the topic, he was walking in the general direction of the train yards).

Further, all of the evidence that points to Owen being missing against his will is also circumstantial and based mainly on reports of his character from his family and assumptions about what he would or would not do (this is so unlike him, he wouldn't do this to us, he would have left with warmer clothes, he would have taken out more money...)

Just processing... at first I was swept away by the train hopping theory. Now, I'm not as convinced. And either way LE needs to keep investigating.

^To maybe add another layer to that, it seems that one of his parent's first instincts was to check their cabin. I know the dad mentioned the area it was in in (I believe in one of the videos posted early on in the search). They did a search up there, found it untouched and I would hope someone's gone back to check it again since then- surely that would be on LE's radar, right?
LEO may have eyes on the Cabin and surrounding areas. I'm unclear how far the cabin is from Portland but perhaps he has been on a path towards that direction. Maybe even a rustic shelter, tent nearby the family cabin. Could have also been an area with a cache of more robust gear/ supplies.

His poor parents. I'm a parent and this would destroy me.

He's a middle child; the stereotype there is that he may have felt overlooked or that what he wanted wasn't as important as what other family members wanted. He went along to get along, maybe. And so it made sense for him to head out without telling anyone. He might be very good at hiding his feelings, wants or needs--because, right or not, he feels as if expressing them won't change anything--so it looks out of character for him to take off without telling anyone.
I think your analysis is spot on. His parents think it's out of character because they have a certain view of him, that's likely a very narrow sliver because he keeps things internal.

The roommate became concerned so very quickly, something like 4 hours after seeing Owen last. This leads me to believe Owen had parents and friends really paying close attention to him, hovering, scrutinizing. If this was a long term pattern i think it could lead an 18 year old to explore a more secretive aspect of themselves (sexual, narcotics, hitch-hiking/trains). Pure speculation, but i never pursued living dorms because i knew they'd police my comings and goings, even kick you out for smelling a little pot smoke. If Owens expectations of respect and privacy were not met, maybe he was carrying some resentment thus no call or letter explaining movements.
Edit: no fun in this dorm environment, Owen couldn't even have a 1 night stand (normal for college) and show up the next morning without family and police being notified. Just can't imagine him being pleased with this environment.
Spot on!!!!

There has been at least one unsolved act of homicidal violence in NOPO since Owen went missing. Very wild and loose to speculate but it does illustrate how something as benign as using an ATM at night could end poorly. Apprehend these killers, see what else these criminals (organized gang) been up to in preceding weeks? Wild speculation, nothing out of the realms of possibility.

Portland man, 65, shot dead while collecting cans in St. Johns

His parents think it's out of character because they have a certain view of him, that's likely a very narrow sliver because he keeps things internal.

I agree this is probably true for many people in their teens / 20s. I'm not speculating on this case but generally speaking. I remember undergrad students at my dorm dealing with depression, abuse from partners, academic struggles, break-ups, unhappiness with dorm life. I don't think their parents had any idea. You don't want to see your parents reactions or worrying, perhaps. You just want privacy. I remember it as an exhausting time. And I do think it's the prime time in life that some crave adventure. Hope that's all this case is. Rooting for him to be okay and at least send a note home.

Given the new information about the train yard (and other dangers), I hope searches of trash bins, dumpsters and the like have been undertaken. I didn't want to type that, but someone has to say it. If you are local to this case, please pass that information on to your LE (now that they've talked about train jumping) and see what they say.

I too am concerned that the Lacrosse team didn't organize searches and I would be curious as to whether the neighborhood searches went beyond door knocking, looking in landscaping and trying to get video.

I am so hoping (and believing) that Owen has taken off for parts unknown to save his sanity, but I worry that he might be suicidal OR given that he was out in the wee hours of the morning with cash, something more awful could have happened.

Going off the grid for how long though? Is he outdoor-sy enough to survive for a long period of time in the wilderness? Or as a homeless person?

Going off the grid for how long though? Is he outdoor-sy enough to survive for a long period of time in the wilderness? Or as a homeless person?

I think he'd have a rough time among the chronic homeless/street people, as he still so fresh-faced and college student-looking. He's got the nice drawstring backpack, good shoes, etc.

We don't know how outdoorsy he might be, but I suggested upthread that video should be checked at WalMart, Target, Cabela's or similar, to see if he purchased any gear, because he doesn't have a sleeping bag in that backpack, IMO, or a tent, and I'm guessing he didn't have a water filter or stove with him either. Looks like it's likely to rain in and around Portland tonight, with lows in the high 40's - not a good time to be out with no gear.

I think he'd have a rough time among the chronic homeless/street people, as he still so fresh-faced and college student-looking. He's got the nice drawstring backpack, good shoes, etc.

We don't know how outdoorsy he might be, but I suggested upthread that video should be checked at WalMart, Target, Cabela's or similar, to see if he purchased any gear, because he doesn't have a sleeping bag in that backpack, IMO, or a tent, and I'm guessing he didn't have a water filter or stove with him either. Looks like it's likely to rain in and around Portland tonight, with lows in the high 40's - not a good time to be out with no gear.

Maybe he used some of his withdrawn cash to purchase more appropriate clothing. Using cash rather than a debit/credit card would make it harder to track his purchases.

Family certainly had the means for international travel but i recall reading that Owen did not have a passsport in his possession. Believe the info is in an earlier page of this thread.

I can't speak about Portlanders, but I would be surprised if he didn't have a passport. BC is not that far away, and is a popular place to visit.

REI too but $150 won't go far unless you are hitting a thrift store for gear. Easy to find used outdoors gear on CL/etc.

REI too but $150 won't go far unless you are hitting a thrift store for gear. Easy to find used outdoors gear on CL/etc.
If (If!) you were to plan to go "off-the-grid" why not take All of the money in your account? He took out $150, which was larger than his usual withdrawal (per mom) , however it's been stated that it wasn't his entire balance. I don't think we're privy to what his bank account balance was/is but for that reason alone, I don't really think he was off to some off-the-radar train-hopping adventure.:(

If (If!) you were to plan to go "off-the-grid" why not take All of the money in your account? He took out $150, which was larger than his usual withdrawal (per mom) , however it's been stated that it wasn't his entire balance. I don't think we're privy to what his bank account balance was/is but for that reason alone, I don't really think he was off to some off-the-radar train-hopping adventure.:(

He may not have thought he needed it, if he was riding the rails or decided to try the transient lifestyle. $150 may well have been his emergency "I'm tired of this and want to hop a bus home" money. It's also enough to be able to hide it if needed, someone with a wad of bills at a transient camp would be noticed.

The problem is that if he was going to use the money for something else, he hid his trail exceptionally well if police haven't found anything that points in that direction. The only thing they have is him watching rail-hopping videos and "Into The Wild" recently, both of which point to a consistent direction. I'll note that McCandless hopped the rail, making his way from San Diego to Seattle, and then back to California (eventually being arrested.) He's not going to go through the trouble of wiping browser history before the fact if he was planning on a meetup to buy some stuff or even meeting someone.

I think it's possible that Klinger was originally voluntarily missing (he decided to go off for an "adventure") and that is no longer the case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back