Found Deceased OR - Owen Klinger, 18, University of Portland, 6 Oct 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The ATM withdrawal to me could be a good sign that he had future plans. People who may think about harming themselves might give the money away to a friend or leave it in the bank. Since nobody close to him claimed he was giving money or belongings away, I'm hoping he went somewhere to clear his head a little. Freshmen in college are so overwhelmed and stressed and I hope he returns safely and soon.

My heart goes out to these parents. I have 2 sons who are recent graduates (2019, 2018) of UP. It’s a great school.

The ATM withdrawal to me could be a good sign that he had future plans. People who may think about harming themselves might give the money away to a friend or leave it in the bank. Since nobody close to him claimed he was giving money or belongings away, I'm hoping he went somewhere to clear his head a little. Freshmen in college are so overwhelmed and stressed and I hope he returns safely and soon.

The withdrawal is a red flag for me. His mom stated it was a large withdrawal, though not all of his money.

Missing student's parents to attend campus vigil

ETA: Sorry. Looks like someone posted the exact same thing.

My heart goes out to these parents. I have 2 sons who are recent graduates (2019, 2018) of UP. It’s a great school.

The withdrawal is a red flag for me. His mom stated it was a large withdrawal, though not all of his money.

I can see how a large withdrawal can be a red flag. I just mean that it sounds unusual for him and indicates he had a plan and anticipated needing money - which can be a sign that he left the area for a while and hopefully not intending to harm himself. A few days ago, a very similar situation occurred in Columbus, Ohio with an Ohio State freshman. He disappeared with a backpack and skateboard for days. Details are sketchy, but he was located "safe" and taken to an area hospital for evaluation. I'm hoping for an outcome like that in this case.

I was also thinking possibly he needed money to buy something he saw advertised somewhere-hence he needed money for the purchase. Possibly he was meeting them at the bus stop. I just feel that something else happened that wasn’t in his plans.

That is possible. Maybe he was buying a big ticket item. Car or a trip or?

I was also thinking possibly he needed money to buy something he saw advertised somewhere-hence he needed money for the purchase. Possibly he was meeting them at the bus stop. I just feel that something else happened that wasn’t in his plans.

The large ATM withdrawal gives me mixed feelings. My first gut reaction is: clear sign he had plans to lay low for awhile.
But, a large sum of cash on someone, especially if they were seen making that withdrawal could also make them a target to someone. Also odd that the timing of his "taking off" (if that's what he did) coincided with the Lacrosse meeting. Is that an indicator that this was a rash decision? If he planned this vs a last minute decision, why not just leave earlier or later vs the SAME time as the team meeting/practice? Is Lacrosse maybe THE issue?

I hope this young man is okay.

The large ATM withdrawal gives me mixed feelings. My first gut reaction is: clear sign he had plans to lay low for awhile.
But, a large sum of cash on someone, especially if they were seen making that withdrawal could also make them a target to someone. Also odd that the timing of his "taking off" (if that's what he did) coincided with the Lacrosse meeting. Is that an indicator that this was a rash decision? If he planned this vs a last minute decision, why not just leave earlier or later vs the SAME time as the team meeting/practice? Is Lacrosse maybe THE issue?

I hope this young man is okay.
My gut tells me that the plan was never to go to the practice, just a cover story. He wasn't able to provide his roommates about what the meeting was about, when it would end, etc (This is under the assumption that that is what his roommates meant by "evasive about the meeting")

Why would the roommates be sketched out about him not taking his gear to the lacrosse practice? I would think the gear is property of the school and the athletes wouldn't carry it back in forth to their rooms, right? Do lacrosse players do that? That's great that the roommates contacted his family right away. I had a scare like this happen to me when I was a freshman too, I came back from class and the lights of my room were on, my roommate was not there, so I just assumed that she was at another room or at another floor, but she wasn't back the next day, at this point I was getting worried but I was not so sure of what to do because we were roommates for like, 2 weeks, so 3 days go by and I just text her "hey, you're okay?" and I kid you not, she just replies with "yeah, how are you?", turns out she just went home and forgot to turn off the lights, or to let me know she was leaving. So, good on these kids for doing something right away.

I honestly get annoyed when people immediately jump to a "it had to be drugs!" theory, but it could be a reason for a large withdrawal of money. He could be a straight laced guy that would never do such a thing, but college is also a place/time when a lot of people can begin to experiment with certain things and begin to develop addictions or behaviors leading to addiction. I have no evidence or anything of the sorts backing this up. I just provide it as food for thought. MOO

I honestly get annoyed when people immediately jump to a "it had to be drugs!" theory, but it could be a reason for a large withdrawal of money. He could be a straight laced guy that would never do such a thing, but college is also a place/time when a lot of people can begin to experiment with certain things and begin to develop addictions or behaviors leading to addiction. I have no evidence or anything of the sorts backing this up. I just provide it as food for thought. MOO
His roommates reported that he smoked pot socially but had quit a week ago, they stated that they believed that he did not have a problem with drugs

His roommates reported that he smoked pot socially but had quit a week ago, they stated that they believed that he did not have a problem with drugs

Everyone has their secrets though. My roommates didn't know I was doing substances that I was doing. Again, not saying it's the case or I have any evidence to back anything up. Just a thought.

I think he had innocent plans and needed some money for whatever his plans were. I feel something happened unexpectedly. I really don’t feel he planned on running off. I think something happened where he wasn’t able to get back to the school. I think someone picked him up at the bus stop.

I thought the drug angle had validity at first but now I really don't think so. He smoked pot according to his roommates.
Source:Family, friends expand search for missing University of Portland student

Pot is legal in Portland. It is really easy to have someone over 21 buy it and it's not exactly expensive. Certainly not expensive enough to need a large sum of money and my boys tell me you wouldn't need to leave campus to get it. Even if he bought it from another source, I doubt Owen would need to get in the car with the dealer at the bus stop and go somewhere to transact. It doesn't make sense to me.

"Surveillance video showed him near a TriMet bus stop, but he didn't take the bus, says the teen's mother, Mary Klinger."
Source: Family of missing Portland student: No phone use in 3 days

I just feel so awful for his parents. They were on the local news last night. Owen's dad was searching the bank of the Willamette, which I assume is lower campus, using a friend's drone. It was heartbreaking to hear him verbalize he was looking for his body :(

Last edited:
College athletes don't get drug tested?
Edit: Nevermind, just saw that Lacrosse isn't a varsity sport at the University of Portland.

I haven't seen any evidence or even innuendo that he was doing drugs. Lacrosse isn't really a sport you can play on drugs, IMO.

It seems odd to me that there hasn’t been more Police communication with the public? All I heard was that they had assigned a detective to his case. Also, I would have thought they would have used sniffer dogs where his phone was last pinged to see if there were any clues? Is there any security footage of him leaving the cafeteria on campus and was anyone with him when he left? Did his phone lose its’ charge around 830 pm or could someone have turned it off so no one could track it? I just don’t think he took off. I would think if he took off someone would have seen him somewhere-buying food, etc. I feel something or someone prevented him from returning to his dorm room.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ronin13
Back