Found Deceased OR - Owen Klinger, 18, University of Portland, 6 Oct 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Me too. I agree that I don’t think there is necessarily substantial evidence pointing to a suicide theory. Very much hoping that it isn’t the case. I agree about the backpack - what’s so interesting to me is that it was too small to point to Owen planning an extended getaway. But full enough to indicate he had some sort of activity or meet up planned. Something just occurred to me - maybe he was headed to a favorite bar or coffee shop to cram a last study session in before midterms? Seems odd that he would have been evasive with roommates over this, but perhaps he was embarrassed? Stressed about missing practice? Feeling overwhelmed and not wanting to explain himself?

BBM:

I agree with the bolded portion of your post.
That ATM withdrawal, coupled with the backpack, signal his intent to do something purposeful.
His behavior was clearly goal-directed.
Nobody knows what that goal was, though.

The fact that OK gave zero indication of what his true intentions were that night is our biggest clue.
It was definitely something he didn't want anyone to know about.
That limits the scope of possibilities, at least in my mind.

The coffee shop/study session doesn't fit with the ATM withdrawal in that his Mom indicated it was a fairly sizable amount...can't remember her exact words, but she indicated it was more than she would have expected to see him withdraw all at once. You wouldn't need that much money to buy a coffee.

He could have been meeting up with someone for another reason, though.
That scenario is very much in play here.
The confounding thing about OK's disappearance is that there really isn't any scenario that can be ruled out right now...anything is possible.
And there's nothing to go on, per LE.

That's a horrible combination:
"Could be anything."
"We have nothing."

Frustrating for LE.
Terrifying for his parents.

JMO.

Last edited:
'We need to find Owen': Police ask for tips in missing Univ. of Portland student's case

SABBM:

Detectives with the Portland Police Bureau’s Missing Persons Unit collected video from surrounding homes and businesses, but they haven’t found any other leads.

Officials are calling this case unusual, because they say missing person cases are typically resolved within 24 hours in Portland.

“This is a rarity, and we need to find Owen,” said PPB Sergeant Brad Yakots.

Investigators say Owen’s phone is still turned off.

Have either LE or OK's parents indicated whether his laptop was left behind and if so, whether any analysis of his digital footprint has been done yet?

There is a substantial homeless m/impoverished population in parts of N. Portland, and Owen was headed in exactly the right direction to find them.

North Portland is a residential grid with much more alleyways and commercial building than East Portland. Larger lots, vacant lots, some abandoned buildings. Around the rivers in NOPO less homes more greenspaces, swampy terrain(flood risk hence no homes.) So the homeless population in NOPO does seem amplified to me. Numerous secluded area for camps of tents and pallets, all with bus or transit to downtown. Even campers living in stolen/derelict boats in the slough, for some reading this i'm sure it's hard to understand or relate to.

'We need to find Owen': Police ask for tips in missing Univ. of Portland student's case

SABBM:

Detectives with the Portland Police Bureau’s Missing Persons Unit collected video from surrounding homes and businesses, but they haven’t found any other leads.

Officials are calling this case unusual, because they say missing person cases are typically resolved within 24 hours in Portland.

Have either LE or OK's parents indicated whether his laptop was left behind and if so, whether any analysis of his digital footprint has been done yet?

It's not a good sign if LE is saying his case is unusual and that most missing person cases are resolved in 24 hours.

When information first came out, it was stated he left his laptop at his residence. I am sure his family and LE have poured over it, looking for info. It's like he just walked off never to be seen again. I am shocked there aren't more clues. It doesn't feel like LE is holding back any information; it seems they really have nothing much to go on.

SABBM:

Yes, his laptop was left in his dorm room.

If the ATM withdraw was not enough for long term travel, and
Is it possible that he was planning on buying something, perhaps on Cragislist, LetGo, Offerup, etc., that required cash? It doesn't HAVE to be drugs, right?
The catch is buying skis or a stereo off Craigslist leaves a trail of data. The procedure of buying something illicit on the street, dealer ensures there is no footprints left on phones/computers it's all face to face no electronic trail to follow.

He also left his bike. He wasn't planning on walking for hours. Wherever he was going it was not too far away. He lived in Portland so he knew his way around.
Assuming he was in a healthy/rational state of mind (which all signs point to but I’m not sure we can assume), that’s a solid point. I’d say that he could have been headed for public transportation, but if that’s the case, why wouldn’t he have gotten on one of the many buses he passed? Unless he was headed for the 4 or 75, but even then he could have taken the 35 and transferred. And if he was headed for the Max he could have taken the 44 and transferred. Both of which have stops on campus. TLDR; if Owen was thinking straight that night and had a solid plan like it seems he did he was headed somewhere nearby where he was last seen.

Is anyone else reminded of Tyler Christiansen, the 16 year old boy who went missing from Washington in April 2016? I am not sure why, maybe because they both seem like really good people, similar ages, and I think they both had a backpack.

Has Own missed any exams since he was last seen? Hopefully, he went somewhere quiet to study and will resurface soon.

I know that suicide or self-harm of any sort is a real possibility, but I just can't quite make sense of it here (not that it ever fully "makes sense" to someone outside of the scenario). I do not know Owen personally. I've met him I believe just once, and he seemed just as great as everyone has stated. I do know people in his larger friend group and social circle and community, and he would have had so much support if he'd been struggling with anything. Many of his friends have been friends for MANY years. While people have suggested that perhaps he was hiding something about himself from his parents, their friend group IS diverse in all sorts of ways and there are so many adults and peers he could've connected with on just about any topic. These are just really, really good people. I've noticed that his friends parents/parents friends (really one & the same in this scenario) have come out in droves to help with the search. He was so cared about by so many people.

Is it possible that he was planning on buying something, perhaps on Cragislist, LetGo, Offerup, etc., that required cash? It doesn't HAVE to be drugs, right?

But how does he remember where to go without using his phone? If it was turned off during his meet-up, that's scary. Doesn't have to be drugs at all. If Owen voluntarily turned off his phone and misled his roommates about where he'd be, then it does seem like he wanted to keep it a secret.

I worry that he didn't plan to turn it off.

Is anyone else reminded of Tyler Christiansen, the 16 year old boy who went missing from Washington in April 2016? I am not sure why, maybe because they both seem like really good people, similar ages, and I think they both had a backpack.

Has Own missed any exams since he was last seen? Hopefully, he went somewhere quiet to study and will resurface soon.

Well, he's apparently missed a week of school. It's been said that midterms were starting, but I'd think they wouldn't really ramp up until next week or the week after. Still, missing class for a week is never a good plan.

The police must have his cell records by now, and the laptop should yield some clues (but apparently not enough to give leads or to find him). It's a really puzzling disappearance.

Did he meet/contact someone and decide to leave school? Is he deliberately keeping his phone off, so as not to be found? Or is the situation more dire. I wish we knew where the last ping of that phone was.

But how does he remember where to go without using his phone? If it was turned off during his meet-up, that's scary. Doesn't have to be drugs at all. If Owen voluntarily turned off his phone and misled his roommates about where he'd be, then it does seem like he wanted to keep it a secret.

I worry that he didn't plan to turn it off.

Well, he's apparently missed a week of school. It's been said that midterms were starting, but I'd think they wouldn't really ramp up until next week or the week after. Still, missing class for a week is never a good plan.

The police must have his cell records by now, and the laptop should yield some clues (but apparently not enough to give leads or to find him). It's a really puzzling disappearance.

Did he meet/contact someone and decide to leave school? Is he deliberately keeping his phone off, so as not to be found? Or is the situation more dire. I wish we knew where the last ping of that phone was.
Midterms at UP, where Owen went to school, began the day after he disappeared and ended last week. This week is the school’s fall break, with no classes until next Monday. It would be a very odd time to disappear for a short break, as it is near impossible to pass most classes without a midterm grade. So if he is missing for this long on his own volition it would likely be because he wanted to quit school. (As opposed to getting a refresher and then reappearing).

He also left his bike. He wasn't planning on walking for hours. Wherever he was going it was not too far away. He lived in Portland so he knew his way around.
Are his family or friends familiar with the area where he was last seen? Did he frequent someplace around there? I am hoping like others that he will turn up but it seems to me that he withdrew money to purchase something from someone and something went terribly wrong. His father said that Owen was not really dressed for an extended stay in the weather, and like someone mentioned midterms were coming up he had good grades ; fall break was right around the corner, and he had a good support system so suicide or taking a break don’t add up. Neither does going somewhere to study; there are places to study on campus, Cathedral Coffee is down the street ( as someone said you don’t need to withdraw a lot of money for coffee) and where he was headed sounds like there’s no place to study.Plus if he was going to study or disappear wouldn’t he take his main backpack, laptop and phone charger?

He could have used some of the money from the ATM to buy another phone. They are not at all expensive.

If his phone was turned off before the last sighting of him, it's likely that he turned it off to avoid being tracked (or bothered).

He had a plan, and didn't want his roommates to know what it was. He didn't want to be tracked or contacted. None of that is reassuring.

Wonder if someone asked to borrow money for some secret issue and asked him to keep it on the down low and maybe that person harmed him once they got the money. Just a thought. If so LE should find a trace on his phone records or laptop. Unless it was another student, or someone around campus, and all just verbalized personally and not via cell or computer.

Midterms at UP, where Owen went to school, began the day after he disappeared and ended last week. This week is the school’s fall break, with no classes until next Monday. It would be a very odd time to disappear for a short break, as it is near impossible to pass most classes without a midterm grade. So if he is missing for this long on his own volition it would likely be because he wanted to quit school. (As opposed to getting a refresher and then reappearing).

Ugh! . Thank you for the information. Unfortunately, it is exactly what I was hoping was NOT the case. But (trying to stay positive) hopefully these circumstances will ensure that LE is doing everything they can to locate him.

Been following this case from afar and just wanted to say for anyone who has college age kids (or really kids in general), I highly recommend the Life360 app. I realize it is similar to the find my iPhone app and doesn’t help in cases where the phone is off, but it DOES notify you when a phone battery is dying. I will get a notification that says “XXXX has 7% battery left, remind him to charge his phone”. In this case it would be good to know if the phone died or if it was indeed turned off on purpose. If Owen were meeting someone, I can’t imagine that he would set out with a phone about to die.

Ugh! . Thank you for the information. Unfortunately, it is exactly what I was hoping was NOT the case. But (trying to stay positive) hopefully these circumstances will ensure that LE is doing everything they can to locate him.
I know. The fact that he totally missed midterms week is not good.
Unfortunately as others have said, freshman year in college can be extremely difficult emotionally. It’s a time of transition into adulthood and independence and suddenly being in the “real” world. I think some kids don’t handle it well. They are only 18 after all.
It seems like he isn’t struggling in school, but that doesn’t mean he isn’t struggling in other areas. I have no idea what his relationship w/his family is or anything, but UP is a private Catholic school. Could be he is dealing w/issues he thinks may not be accepted in his world? IDK. I’m just so worried and am starting to feel like he left and doesn’t plan on coming back. :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back