Found Deceased OR - Owen Klinger, 18, University of Portland, 6 Oct 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I went to college by 17, had a 4.25 in high school, and freshman year, first semester...1.75. I had no idea how to tell my parents, I was at a Christian school of 1500 on scholarship. I just was really overwhelmed. They found out when grades came. I needed a minute. They were kind enough to pay for my Bachelors. I grew up and paid for my others.
One wonders if Owen was scared to disappoint them. JMO

Been following this case from afar and just wanted to say for anyone who has college age kids (or really kids in general), I highly recommend the Life360 app. I realize it is similar to the find my iPhone app and doesn’t help in cases where the phone is off, but it DOES notify you when a phone battery is dying. I will get a notification that says “XXXX has 7% battery left, remind him to charge his phone”. In this case it would be good to know if the phone died or if it was indeed turned off on purpose. If Owen were meeting someone, I can’t imagine that he would set out with a phone about to die.
Yes! Life 360 is great. I have a freshman in college & one still in high school and our family has had it for a couple of years. The girls and even I were skeptical at first, but now we’re ALL so dependent on it.

I don't think the money is an issue (except perhaps a mugging.) Per article this morning on KATU, his roommate says he only took out $150.

Day 10 of search for missing Univ. of Portland student, volunteers meet for searches

That's all?

That doesn't seem like enough for him to hop a Greyhound and go across the country. It's not enough for much of a trip, unless he planned on couch surfing with friends (it's cold/rainy out here in PNW right now and not camping weather.)

Thanks for this link. I want to know which direction he was walking on Lombard, not sure why that specific info hasn't been reported.
Very welcome. Although I do not think the money itself is an issue, I do think it is a significant clue (the amount.). It seems more and more that he was just doing some kid thing and ran into trouble. I hope that is not the case, though.

He could have used some of the money from the ATM to buy another phone. They are not at all expensive.

If his phone was turned off before the last sighting of him, it's likely that he turned it off to avoid being tracked (or bothered).

He had a plan, and didn't want his roommates to know what it was. He didn't want to be tracked or contacted. None of that is reassuring.

I feel/hope the strongest on OZ’s theory of purposeful plan, not suicide, and buying a burner, cheap phone. From all reports, Owen is loved & has a great family. Hoping he surfaces soon. JMO

I have no idea what his relationship w/his family is or anything, but UP is a private Catholic school. Could be he is dealing w/issues he thinks may not be accepted in his world? IDK.

My understanding is that, yes, his family is Catholic, but they are also really open-minded. Prior to UP, he graduated from a public high school, not one of the many Catholic high schools in the area. Portland is a very liberal spot so I don't think its an issue of feeling like he'd disappoint family. His mom is known in the area to be really, really kind and giving to everyone (and I've only heard positive things about the whole family). Like I mentioned upthread, their extended friend group does not seem the type to be judgy about any of this, and would include a huge mix of people/religious and not. I've also seen the rapport between several of these kids and their families/each other's families. They seem to have built good bonds, they joke around. I think IF there was something going on, he'd have someone to talk to.

Then again, totally possible that he didn't see things that way I guess. It just doesn't make sense.

Very welcome. Although I do not think the money itself is an issue, I do think it is a significant clue (the amount.). It seems more and more that he was just doing some kid thing and ran into trouble. I hope that is not the case, though.
Unless he had additional money in his possession, he will have to work or panhandle to eat pretty soon. MOO

Thanks for this link. I want to know which direction he was walking on Lombard, not sure why that specific info hasn't been reported.
I know the TriMet footage of him places him near the intersection of Portsmouth and Lombard, but has it been confirmed which street he was walking on? He would have had to take Portsmouth to get to that point walking from campus, but I wish we knew for sure whether he turned onto Lombard...

My understanding is that, yes, his family is Catholic, but they are also really open-minded. Prior to UP, he graduated from a public high school, not one of the many Catholic high schools in the area. Portland is a very liberal spot so I don't think its an issue of feeling like he'd disappoint family. His mom is known in the area to be really, really kind and giving to everyone (and I've only heard positive things about the whole family). Like I mentioned upthread, their extended friend group does not seem the type to be judgy about any of this, and would include a huge mix of people/religious and not. I've also seen the rapport between several of these kids and their families/each other's families. They seem to have built good bonds, they joke around. I think IF there was something going on, he'd have someone to talk to.

Then again, totally possible that he didn't see things that way I guess. It just doesn't make sense.
Well that’s good to know. Makes me wonder if the religious school environment was too restrictive since he wasn’t used to that, but then I would think he would have gone to his family, not just disappear. Yeah, it just doesn’t make sense.

Well that’s good to know. Makes me wonder if the religious school environment was too restrictive since he wasn’t used to that, but then I would think he would have gone to his family, not just disappear. Yeah, it just doesn’t make sense.
I've seen speculation regarding the Catholic college angle, and I think there could be something to that, but the community at UP really isn't all that religious. Students and professors, for the most part, are socially and politically liberal. Students aren't expected to attend religious activities of any kind and I believe only about half of students identify as Catholic

Last edited:
I don't think the money is an issue (except perhaps a mugging.) Per article this morning on KATU, his roommate says he only took out $150.

Day 10 of search for missing Univ. of Portland student, volunteers meet for searches

It's nice to know the amount he withdrew! When people were saying he withdrew a substantial amount of money from the ATM I expected it to be $300 or $400. $150 isn't that much and certainly wouldn't go very far. At this point, he has been missing for 10 days and I don't have a good feeling about this outcome.

Backpack item?

Just throwing this out there as I haven't seen it discussed. I don't play lacrosse, but it does look like the item in his backpack could be a lacrosse helmet. Just google Cascade CPV and you may see what I mean. It also kind of looks like a bike helmet, but so do lacrosse helmets. It looks like it doesn't fall all the way to the bottom of the backpack, but it actually is because the lacrosse helmets have a black facemask that would account for that.

If that is the case, he did have his helmet, and if the item in his pocket was a water bottle then that would jive with him at least leaving to do something with lacrosse.

Speculating further....there has been no mention of this. There has been sketchy details about whether there was an actual lacrosse meeting (no statement from school, team, teammates that I am aware of). Might this be a hazing deal. He leaves to go to "meeting". Is cagey because he isn't supposed to tell. Phone is off because he is told to turn it off (no proof). Something goes awry.

If this was the case, I find it hard to believe that the LE would not have shook anyone involved. I can't imagine this would not have been determined already.

That said, the slow release of details, is either because their is none or because they don't want the public to know every little thing.

Wild theory. Could be completely unfounded, but stems from it looking like he had a lacrosse helmet in his backpack. Fits with all other info about him. Nothing odd about him taking part in some innocent college fun and something going wrong.

Backpack item?

Just throwing this out there as I haven't seen it discussed. I don't play lacrosse, but it does look like the item in his backpack could be a lacrosse helmet. Just google Cascade CPV and you may see what I mean. It also kind of looks like a bike helmet, but so do lacrosse helmets. It looks like it doesn't fall all the way to the bottom of the backpack, but it actually is because the lacrosse helmets have a black facemask that would account for that.

If that is the case, he did have his helmet, and if the item in his pocket was a water bottle then that would jive with him at least leaving to do something with lacrosse.

Speculating further....there has been no mention of this. There has been sketchy details about whether there was an actual lacrosse meeting (no statement from school, team, teammates that I am aware of). Might this be a hazing deal. He leaves to go to "meeting". Is cagey because he isn't supposed to tell. Phone is off because he is told to turn it off (no proof). Something goes awry.

If this was the case, I find it hard to believe that the LE would not have shook anyone involved. I can't imagine this would not have been determined already.

That said, the slow release of details, is either because their is none or because they don't want the public to know every little thing.

Wild theory. Could be completely unfounded, but stems from it looking like he had a lacrosse helmet in his backpack. Fits with all other info about him. Nothing odd about him taking part in some innocent college fun and something going wrong.
I do find it interesting that there have been no statements from his lacrosse coach or his teammates. Especially considering that reporters have talked to other people who were closely involved with him on campus, such as his first year orientation leader and other members of his first year orientation group. Could be nothing, especially since this week is fall break and students have dispersed off campus, but definitely something I've noted. Just now a post was made on the official Instagram page indicating that Owen had his monogrammed 32 oz. purple Yeti water bottle with him when he left campus. I wonder how they have confirmed this. Maybe it was confirmed missing from his dorm room? It could be what is seen sticking out of his pocket in the surveillance video, although that seems unlikely given it's such a large bottle.

Maybe he brought the lacrosse helmet to further the myth that he was going to a lacrosse practice/meeting? I would think it'd be with the rest of his gear, though (stick, shoes, pads, etc).

Backpack item?

He didn't take his LaCrosse gear, the roommates actually asked him about it before he left (why he wasn't taking his gear), and he said something to the effect of it was a meeting, not practice.

That's all?

That doesn't seem like enough for him to hop a Greyhound and go across the country. It's not enough for much of a trip, unless he planned on couch surfing with friends (it's cold/rainy out here in PNW right now and not camping weather.)
And he likely could have taken more which may rule out the random act of kindness before I go theory.

He needed that amount.

I am now wondering if the Lacrosse story wasn't partially true as others have stated. Perhaps he was heading to an off-campus house related to the lacrosse team or a fraternity for a "pledging" type event that went wrong.

OR - OR - Owen Klinger, 18, University of Portland, 6 Oct 2019

He didn't take his LaCrosse gear, the roommates actually asked him about it before he left (why he wasn't taking his gear), and he said something to the effect of it was a meeting, not practice.

I get that he didn't have his full gear. I am just suggesting he may have had his helmet based on the picture. Maybe I am seeing it wrong which is why I just threw it out there. Maybe it wouldn't even fit in that, but I am just saying have a look. They have confirmed he had his water bottle now. It is totally feasible for his roommates to see his bigger bag (pads/stick/cleats) and say he didn't have his gear. Why water bottle and helmet? If you look up lacrosse hazing, it is drinking and often involves wearing the helmet out in public as part of ritual.

Big speculation on my part. I know. Police have said no foul play. It would just be clearer if the lacrosse meeting was known to be a total fabrication or not.

Again, I find it hard to believe that this would not be known by now if this happened. To may people involved to keep it quiet, but could've been a complete accident. Go off campus, party too hard, get disoriented, end up in wrong place or just have accident in total random spot.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr_Psycho
Back