Found Deceased OR - Owen Klinger, 18, University of Portland, 6 Oct 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think they screwed up with the info. I don't think PPB are trying to throw anybody off (other than themselves, inadvertently).
Yeah I’ve noticed the locals on here don’t seem to be surprised with their mistakes, but I’m finding them hard to believe. Like PajamaSleuth said—“bumbling” like “scripted from a bad comedy.”

He’s writing about where he comes from and says “extra credit is mandatory.” To me that means very high expectations and a high achieving environment. It’s also a pretty poetic way to put it. I can’t tell you how many times throughout the school years my kids have said something like, “I don’t need to do the extra credit because I already have an A in that class.” I’ll agree. But maybe he’s saying he never has that option. That he’s always expected to do better—the best. Perfectionism has bad consequences, and I wonder if he felt the need to be perfect. The fact that he said this about where he comes from is telling IMO.

I tell my kids that the “extra credit is mandatory”. Our schools integrate a wide range of abilities in one class. There are students that test well below grade level to kids that test well above grade level.

The teachers have said the mandatory assignments are tailored to the average students. Kids who struggle academically would be too frustrated withthe extra credit so they aren’t expected to do it.

My kids happen to be above grade level so I expect them to do the extra credit. It keeps them engaged and challenged.

It’s really not high pressure, it’s what the teachers recommended.

Has anyone searched in the shantytown discussed here ? Why Portland’s Homeless Problem Is the Worst in the Nation
Springwater corridor is on the east side of I5 and the Willamette river. Wouldn't really be a logical place for him to go.

The NW 8th and NW Glisan area (where they searched today) is right at the South Park Blocks which are often populated by vagrants. Many empty old commercial buildings in that area (the old Daisy Kingdom building has been empty for years), and the Greyhound station is at around 6th and Glisan.

Interesting place to search. I wonder what led the searchers to that area.

Last edited:
Springwater corridor is on the east side of I5 and the Willamette river. Wouldn't really be a logical place for him to go.

The NW 8th and NW Glisan area (where they searched today) is right at the South Park Blocks which are often populated by vagrants. Many empty old commercial buildings in that area (the old Daisy Kingdom building has been empty for years), and the Greyhound station is at around 6th and Glisan.

Interesting place to search. I wonder what had led the searchers to that area.

Thank you. I've never been anywhere near the West Coast or Oregon :

I think he'd have to present ID to use Amtrak, and they should have a record.

From the Amtrak site:
"Documents
All Amtrak passengers must have their train tickets with them to board the train and while on-board, as ticket checks are periodically completed. All travelers over age 18 and all unaccompanied minors age 15 and over must have a government issued I.D., such as a passport, driver's license or military I.D. If the traveler does not have a government issued I.D. with a photo, a secondary form of identification, such as a student I.D. card, must accompany a government issued identification without a photo."

Makes me wonder if ID has to be shown when buying the ticket or when boarding the train. Or both? (ETA though it probably is moot, since the ticket would most likely have his name printed on it, like an airline ticket.)

Last edited:
From the Amtrak site:
"Documents
All Amtrak passengers must have their train tickets with them to board the train and while on-board, as ticket checks are periodically completed. All travelers over age 18 and all unaccompanied minors age 15 and over must have a government issued I.D., such as a passport, driver's license or military I.D. If the traveler does not have a government issued I.D. with a photo, a secondary form of identification, such as a student I.D. card, must accompany a government issued identification without a photo."

Makes me wonder if ID has to be shown when buying the ticket or when boarding the train. Or both?
I’m a fairly frequent Amtrak traveler and I’ve only ever been asked to show ID once - and that was when I was purchasing alcohol on an overnight train and I looked a lot younger than I actually was. FWIW some of the trains that are more regional don’t even scan for tickets for a few stops and you can theoretically get a quick 30 or so mile ride for free if you know how to game the system. I know for sure the trains to Milwaukee and St. Louis out of Chicago are like that because I’ve seen multiple people get away with it. Usually these trains will just scan your ticket after like half an hour from the first stop and the conductor won’t bother you.

I certainly hope that’s the case. Otherwise, this LE appear quite bumbling, as though scripted from a bad comedy.

I am pro-LE but the wrong street/direction, the rather unfounded train hopping theory, gives me the impression they are either inept or lazy. Oh how I hope they are purposely downplaying everything because they know he is safe and sound, like he’s in witness protection or something.

If Owen was meeting LE to discuss what he witnessed, he might not want his roommates to know. If someone involved in the incident discovered that he was working with LE, they might want to quiet him.

Have bodies of water been searched adequately? ( I hate to ask that!)

Interesting thoughts, PJS.

If LE told him to go somewhere safe off campus, his parent's house would be the most logical place for him to go. Official "Witness Protection" wouldn't apply until a trial, IIRC.

I haven't heard of any water searches being conducted. The Willamette River under the St Johns Bridge (closest to UP) is very industrial. It's a very tall ornate sort of bridge and Cathedral Park underneath it has great views of the bridge structure of cathedral style arches. (Trivia: Both the bridge and the park have been used as filming locations in numerous tv shows and movies. Stumptown, The Librarians, Zero Effect, just to name a few).

Usually when someone jumps from the St. Johns bridge their bodies are found significantly downriver. There was a young woman who jumped off the St Johns a couple years ago and IIRC her body was found quite some distance away. Will try to find the thread.

Last edited:
Not sure if they have focused on the Willamette, but if the police haven't they should, and anyone with a boat who is willing to search. It should have been one of the first places they looked, quite frankly.

Willamette is a decent size river, and it flows into the Columbia. Unless the body washed up on the shore, it could be anywhere.

One thing to know about the Willamette river: From downtown Portland the river flows north for several miles, passing under the St. Johns bridge, before eventually meeting up with the Columbia at Kelly Point. The Columbia flows north about another 20-30 miles or so before turning west to the ocean. There's also a channel that's almost a continuation of the Willamette that runs to the west of Sauvie Island.

Last edited:
Not sure if they have focused on the Willamette, but if the police haven't they should, and anyone with a boat who is willing to search. It should have been one of the first places they looked, quite frankly.
At this point, I’d say it’s a great place to be looking. In my opinion, by now he’s either somewhere far away, laying low...or somewhere in or on the outskirts of Portland in the worst of shape

Willamette is a decent size river, and it flows into the Columbia. Unless the body washed up on the shore, it could be anywhere.
From the St. Johns bridge, they should search along the river heading south, at least to Sellwood or Milwaukie. It's not that much territory to cover.

Last edited:
From the St. Johns bridge, the Willamette runs south from the Columbia and narrows (you can see it on a map). People who jump end up further south (Sellwood/Milwaukie) It's not a large area to cover.

That's not correct.

"The Willamette River flows south to north, a rarity in the Pacific Northwest, and cuts right through the middle of Portland. But how many people can answer even a few basic questions about it?"
Willamette field guide runs true

From the St. Johns bridge, they should search south along the river to Sellwood or Milwaukie.

Wrong direction. They should be searching along the Willamette in the Linnton area, around Kelly Point, in the channel along the west of Sauvie Island, and out to Scappoose and St Helens. If a body ended up in the confluence of the Columbia and the Willamette or on the Columbia itself, it would be much harder to find.

Last edited:
What do you all think about the fact that midterms were the next day, as a factor in Owen going missing?

(just trying to mind Occam's Razor when considering what could have happened)

It seems incongruent with him being studious.
A theory: maybe Owen was studious but struggling with an anxiety disorder. A lot of times people are able to mask their struggles with schoolwork and attending class through high school because of parents/routine, but college even if close to home is a whole different animal. This could be totally off base, but as someone who graduated college fairly recently it’s definitely something I’ve seen in a lot of my peers.

From the Amtrak site:
"Documents

Makes me wonder if ID has to be shown when buying the ticket or when boarding the train. Or both? (ETA though it probably is moot, since the ticket would most likely have his name printed on it, like an airline ticket.)

I buy Amtrak tickets on line and it requires no ID (but email for sending the e-ticket and a phone number to contact me in case of an issue with the reservation). At the station, I buy with cash, debit or credit card and don't believe that I have had my id scanned in any way at the ticket counter but I usually use a kiosk that doesn't ask for id either. Same has been true on Metro North where I purchase most tickets at a machine.

Amtrak Website (Passenger ID on Amtrak) says:
Valid Photo ID Required
Amtrak customers 18 years of age and older must produce valid photo identification when:

• Exchanging, refunding or reprinting Amtrak travel documents
  • Purchasing documents with a stored eVoucher or Transportation Credit
  • Traveling as a Pass Rider (active or retired)
  • Storing baggage at stations
  • Checking baggage (including firearms)
  • Sending Amtrak Express shipments
  • Asked onboard trains by train crew members, other Amtrak or operating railroad employees
  • Asked any time by Amtrak police or any law enforcement officer
  • Traveling into Canada
  • Guardian purchasing an unaccompanied minor travel documents or signing the release form
And:

Random Ticket/ID Checks
Following federal Transportation Security Administration (TSA) guidelines, we regularly conduct random ticket verification checks onboard trains to ensure that passengers are properly ticketed. Please be prepared to show valid photo identification to a member of the onboard crew upon request.

Purchasing Tickets
Passengers purchasing tickets onboard trains from conductors must provide photo identification and be at least 16 years old. Tickets purchased onboard include a service fee built into the fare. This fee cannot be waived.

Passengers boarding at any staffed station or station with a Quik-Trak kiosk should purchase tickets prior to boarding the train.

I buy Amtrak tickets on line and it requires no ID (email for sending the e-ticket and a phone number to contact me in case of an issue with the reservation. At the station, I buy with cash, debit or credit card and don't believe that I have had my id scanned in any way but I usually use a kiosk that doesn't ask for id either. Same has been true on Metro North where I purchase most tickets at a machine.

Amtrak Website (Passenger ID on Amtrak) says:
Valid Photo ID Required
Amtrak customers 18 years of age and older must produce valid photo identification when:

• Exchanging, refunding or reprinting Amtrak travel documents
  • Purchasing documents with a stored eVoucher or Transportation Credit
  • Traveling as a Pass Rider (active or retired)
  • Storing baggage at stations
  • Checking baggage (including firearms)
  • Sending Amtrak Express shipments
  • Asked onboard trains by train crew members, other Amtrak or operating railroad employees
  • Asked any time by Amtrak police or any law enforcement officer
  • Traveling into Canada
  • Guardian purchasing an unaccompanied minor travel documents or signing the release form
And:

Random Ticket/ID Checks
Following federal Transportation Security Administration (TSA) guidelines, we regularly conduct random ticket verification checks onboard trains to ensure that passengers are properly ticketed. Please be prepared to show valid photo identification to a member of the onboard crew upon request.

Purchasing Tickets
Passengers purchasing tickets onboard trains from conductors must provide photo identification and be at least 16 years old. Tickets purchased onboard include a service fee built into the fare. This fee cannot be waived.

Passengers boarding at any staffed station or station with a Quik-Trak kiosk should purchase tickets prior to boarding the train.

Does your name get printed on the ticket, like an airline ticket?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unsloved387
Back