Found Deceased OR - Owen Klinger, 18, University of Portland, 6 Oct 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I am new here as a poster <modsnip: dreams and/or psychic impressions are not allowed> I think it may have been a drug deal gone wrong in a vehicle and he got in some trouble. I’m not sure but these are just the feelings I got in this case. Taking out 150 dollars to commit suicide makes zero sense. He also does not give off the energy of someone who purposely committed suicide.

Welcome! At this point, anything is possible until we have more facts, IMO.

While it does seem odd that he would take out $150, we don't know how long he was away from his dorm before he met his end. It's possible he did a drug deal, it's possible he did other things for a few days, perhaps he did think about running away, perhaps he did try living among street people. What seems strange to me is that roommates said he also left cash behind.

Was he distraught? Overwhelmed? Forgot he had cash already?

The thing is, you can't observe a person's state of mind by looking at their faces. Smiling depression is certainly a thing and most truly suicidal people do not reach out for help or make their plans obvious.

Foul play is still a possibility (made to look like a suicide), but that seems a bit more remote as a possibility.

I do get a feeling from him that he was troubled, especially when viewing all the available images online.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's no secret that suicide rates among teens are at an all-time high, and the rates of suicide among 18-24 y.o. males in particular are the highest of any group. UP has had an interesting history of suicides among its students in recent years. The UP President was exposed for intentionally misconstruing one suicide as a mere "accident" in 2015. Within a nine-month period at UP in 2015, three students and one staff member died by suicide. One of them was a freshman male from the same dorm as OK. He died Nov. 16, so also his first semester at UP. He was also a Portland native, from an upstanding Catholic family, and was one of seven children. Keep in mind that UP is a small school with a student population of under 4,000. Oregon is a state with one of the highest rates of suicide in the nation, so much so that the state passed a law in July of this year that allows students to take 'mental health days' off for behavioral or emotional issues that count as excused absences.

So, yeah. Suicide is -- in my mind -- the most probable outcome here. And no, you can't tell from his photos that he may have been struggling. All I see there is light and kindness. I pray for his family every day.

Last edited:
It's no secret that suicide rates among teens are at an all-time high, and the rates of suicide among 18-24 y.o. males in particular are the highest of any group. UP has had an interesting history of suicides among its students in recent years. The UP President was exposed for intentionally misconstruing one suicide as a mere "accident" in 2015. Within a nine-month period at UP in 2015, three students and one staff member died by suicide. One of them was a freshman male from the same dorm as OK. He died Nov. 16, so also his first semester at UP. He was also a Portland native, from an upstanding Catholic family, and was one of seven children. Keep in mind that UP is a small school with a student population of under 4,000. Oregon is a state with one of the highest rates of suicide in the nation, so much so that the state passed a law in July of this year that allows students to take 'mental health days' off for behavioral or emotional issues that count as excused absences.

So, yeah. Suicide is -- in my mind -- the most probable outcome here. And no, you can't tell from his photos that he may have been struggling. All I see there is light and kindness. I pray for his family every day.

Thank you for this excellent and heartbreaking post. I live at the southern end of Oregon and had not heard about the suicides at UP. :( The new law allowing “mental health days” off for students is long overdue. When my husband was a teacher (retired 20 years) he occasionally used his sick days that way, but of course, he couldn’t say that’s what he was doing.

Again, no one on this thread is stating categorically that Owen took his own life. The possibility wasn’t even mentioned until he had been missing for awhile. I held back out of respect for Owen and his family, but at some point it had to be mentioned. It’s an epidemic we can’t ignore, regardless of the coroner’s decision.

I will never forget the smiling face of world traveler Leanne Bearden who had a missing thread here before she was found dead. She seemed so happy until she wasn’t anymore.
upload_2019-10-24_16-58-58.jpeg

Tragedy as body of wife who vanished a month ago after returning from a round-the-world trip is found in Texas woods | Daily Mail Online

I'm heartbroken after following this one closely. I had hoped this would not be the outcome, but suspected it would be.

Although I still think there's a good chance that he met with foul play after taking the money out in order to buy something/pay for a service of some kind, I don't think suicide is farfetched despite the ATM withdrawal. I think it's very possible he withdrew the money to give away, but didn't empty the whole account because some of the money was supplied by his parents. Maybe the $150 is what he saw as 'his' money, versus what they'd given him. He might have reasoned that the rest was not really his to give away.

Also, as someone who has struggled with suicide ideation since childhood ... I'd ask that anyone who has picked up the quip about 'permanent solution to a temporary problem' try to banish it from your vernacular. Although it's true that SOME people die by suicide as an immediate reaction to a circumstance, for many people who die that way, it is NOT a temporary problem. It's something they've been struggling with for years. As catchy as the phrase is, it implies shortsightedness or weakness when the truth is that the person might just have finally decided enough was enough after years of pushing through extreme distress with resilience few people will ever understand. If I ever don't outlast a dark episode, it will not be shortsightedness--because I know every time that it's NOT going to end. There are respites, but they are not permanent. It'll be that a terminal illness finally got me, just like someone might die of cancer after a long illness.

Everything I've read makes me think that Owen and I are very similar. Deeply sensitive and compassionate, introspective but also uninterested in burdening others with our problems. My parents had no clue I'd been struggling with suicide and self-harm since grade school until they got a call from me while I was away at college, age 20. I asked them to come get me because I wasn't okay. I called because I had a good friend like Owen's roommate--but he had the additional insight of a suicide attempt in his past, he saw troubling signs and told me I could call my parents or he would call them for me. If suicide was Owen's end, I'm only very sorry chance didn't happen to throw a barrier in his path long enough to slow him down so someone could help him.

I am so very sad that Owen is no longer with us. Although I never met him (or probably never would have seen him in real life) he really touched me.

Because of Owen, I am deliberately choosing to change my expectations of my own children. I am focusing more on their happiness and worrying less about things like keeping them on track for academic success.

I have never admitted this publicly but —- I attempted suicide as a teen. My first ideation was when I was eight years old. I am now in my fifties — so I have struggled with this for a long time.

I would like to offer a different perspective, with all due respect. I want to be clear that I am NOT trying to change anyone’s mind or upset anyone ..... but the phrase “permanent solution to a temporary problem” has provided me hope and strength during some dark times.

For me (again, this is my own perspective) the phrase reminds me that the things that are weighing me down now, the issues that feel overwhelming to me are not as important as they seem. When I feel hopeless, I recall other times that I worked through it. For instance, a bad break-up that left me devastated—- I survived and now I can look back and see how lucky I am that relationship didn’t work out; or a perceived “failure” that made me feel worthless — just put me on a path to better opportunities.

I can see how the phrase may not apply to everyone but I just wanted to share that it is helpful to some.

For those struggling with mental health: please take care, ask for help if you need it, and know that you matter — even to old ladies across the country, like me.

A bit off-topic, but here's an example of how "small-town" Portland is in many ways.

It's been bugging me why Owen's father's name is familiar to me. I thought he was someone I knew from sports car racing, but all my googling didn't pan out in that regard.

Then on Tuesday my boss got a call that shook him deeply. It turns out Dustin was the attorney that negotiated the lease on the building we occupy, ten years ago. (five years before I got hired, but as I work with our leases I had seen correspondence from Dustin in the files).

Anyway, in the course of those negotiations, my boss had gotten pretty friendly with Dustin and enjoyed hearing about his children. My boss has five boys of his own so I understood on Tuesday just how brokenhearted he was for Owen's family.

Lots of ripples in this one.....

Still thinking of you, Owen.

Last edited:
I am so very sad that Owen is no longer with us. Although I never met him (or probably never would have seen him in real life) he really touched me.

Because of Owen, I am deliberately choosing to change my expectations of my own children. I am focusing more on their happiness and worrying less about things like keeping them on track for academic success.

I have never admitted this publicly but —- I attempted suicide as a teen. My first ideation was when I was eight years old. I am now in my fifties — so I have struggled with this for a long time.

I would like to offer a different perspective, with all due respect. I want to be clear that I am NOT trying to change anyone’s mind or upset anyone ..... but the phrase “permanent solution to a temporary problem” has provided me hope and strength during some dark times.

For me (again, this is my own perspective) the phrase reminds me that the things that are weighing me down now, the issues that feel overwhelming to me are not as important as they seem. When I feel hopeless, I recall other times that I worked through it. For instance, a bad break-up that left me devastated—- I survived and now I can look back and see how lucky I am that relationship didn’t work out; or a perceived “failure” that made me feel worthless — just put me on a path to better opportunities.

I can see how the phrase may not apply to everyone but I just wanted to share that it is helpful to some.

For those struggling with mental health: please take care, ask for help if you need it, and know that you matter — even to old ladies across the country, like me.

Big hugs to you, PJS.

October 24, 2019 1:20pm
“The funeral Mass for University of Portland student Owen Klinger will be Wednesday, Oct. 30 at 10 a.m. in the Chiles Center. According to a campus-wide email from university President Fr. Mark Poorman, the Klinger family and the university invite the campus community to attend.

‘In his homily earlier this week, Fr. Jim Gallagher reminded us that we are not meant to be alone in times of sadness,’ Poorman said. ‘Rather, by joining together, we lift each other up and begin the healing process collectively. The Funeral Mass offers us the opportunity to gather together to pray for Owen, for the consolation of the Klinger family, and for peace and hope in our UP community.’

Owen’s body was found in the Willamette River near the St. Johns Bridge on Oct. 20, two weeks after he went missing. A cause of death has not yet been released.”
Funeral Mass for Owen Klinger to be held at Chiles Center

The possibility wasn’t even mentioned until he had been missing for awhile. I held back out of respect for Owen and his family, but at some point it had to be mentioned. It’s an epidemic we can’t ignore, regardless of the coroner’s decision.

View attachment 210961
Tragedy as body of wife who vanished a month ago after returning from a round-the-world trip is found in Texas woods | Daily Mail Online
It was my initial thought, sadly, but also didn't want to allude to it until he was missing longer. That bridge needs to have barriers installed, as this is an ongoing, heartbreaking reality, and mostly only known to people who live in the neighborhood (as it's not reported typically on the news).

It was my initial thought, sadly, but also didn't want to allude to it until he was missing longer. That bridge needs to have barriers installed, as this is an ongoing, heartbreaking reality, and mostly only known to people who live in the neighborhood (as it's not reported typically on the news).

So strange that we went from "let it all hang out" reporting in the 1960's and 70's to "hush up everything" news.

I understand why families don't want suicides to be known, but someone should be bringing these stories to relevant decision-making bodies (all of which have public records of their deliberations).

I understand why families don't want suicides to be known, but someone should be bringing these stories to relevant decision-making bodies (all of which have public records of their deliberations).

I think families understandably feel that a suicide reflects on their relationship with the person. It doesn’t, but ignorance prevails.

I was deeply affected by the suicide of Leanne Bearden, mentioned earlier. In a heart-wrenching interview her husband Josh spoke in depth about what led up to Leanne’s suicide and his feelings. He immediately formed a non-profit dedicated to suicide understanding and prevention. It’s still active.

Up Foundation

In an interview (well worth reading) he said:

"The one thing I want to shed light on, Leanne... You see, Leanne, she's got this smiling face. I think a lot of people had a lot of difficulty believing what she did. And I wouldn't be surprised if there were still some people out there who are doubting what she did, because Leanne was such a beacon of light, but you know what, Leanne was the face of depression," Josh said.

Josh's Story:

So strange that we went from "let it all hang out" reporting in the 1960's and 70's to "hush up everything" news.

My understanding is they don't publicize suicides in the media for fear of copycat attempts. That makes sense, but agree, we need to have open discussions about this growing reality and not pretend it's not a problem, especially with our youth.

<modsnip> And I honestly think it’s rude, until we find out otherwise, to assume someone took their own life. If your suicidal, I can’t imagine taking out 150 dollars, to just kill your self. Who does that?
The thing about suicide is it isn't rational. Through cases here I've seen people who have left groceries or pets in their car, or keys in the door or on the wheel, a door open, bought vacation tickets, cooked dinner etc. Typically, a suicidal person continues with life up until they don't. A lot of times they've already decided days in advance and come to terms with it - entering a sort of peace. In others, it is a sudden decision (sneaking onto a roof of a Target for example). Owen may have taken the money out for a reason having nothing to do directly with the death - paying a debt, paying for a gift, paying a bill etc. He may have gotten bad news that night and made a rash decision, or he may have left knowing exactly what would happen. The point is suicide is a cancer without a common cause and is extremely difficult to detect. I do agree that assumptions shouldn't be made till we know more, but exploring suicide as a possibility is no different than suggesting the smiley face killer got him IMO. It's a large part of what goes on here.

I am very familiar with the University of Portland and my first thought was that Owen jumped off the St. John's Bridge. While I was hoping he had run away or would be found alive, I just had a gut feeling about the bridge, especially since he lied about LAX practice/meeting and the released video of him walking the direction of the bridge on Willamette. The authorities haven't revealed the cause of death and there's still a chance something sinister or an accident could have transpired for Owen to end up in the river, but, if he did, in fact, jump, I hope that mental health is addressed and that the people involved speak openly about depression and suicide. If left as is in the media, his apparent suicide is just inviting copycat behavior due to the attention it's garnered. I would hope that the community would understand this is not something we want to encourage but rather curtail with therapy and resources. I am sorry for Owen's loss.

Thank you so much for sharing this. I think you are my soul sleuther! I grew up in a very perfectionistic household where everything was supposed to be, well...perfect. My second year of college (in nursing school with a 4.0, wonderful boyfriend, etc) I just couldn't take it any more. I felt like I was rotting from the inside and when I did my psychiatry rotation I was like dang, I should be a patient in this hospital, not a student!

Years of medication, therapy, and having a career in mental health myself got me to a much better place. I also have chosen to focus on my kids' experiences and not their "achievements." As long as they are trying hard and happy I will support them. This is definitely not to say that Owen's family was unsupportive, just that I know what it's like to have very high expectations placed upon you and the stress and shame that often ensue. I don't want my kids to have that pressure.

I still have ups and downs. I had a great psychiatrist once that basically said that with a mood disorder there will be periods of ups and downs, but that they are never permanent. Things will always get better (or worse!) and we just have to roll with it and take what we can from those experiences. Pretty much what you said, @PajamaSleuth but less eloquent! It breaks my heart that some people can't see a way out of the darkness I was also really rattled by Leanne Bearden's death). I'm so glad that issues related to mental health are becoming more recognized and less stigmatized. If you're struggling I'll be the old lady over on *this side* of the country that cares about you!

Thank you so much for sharing this. I think you are my soul sleuther! I grew up in a very perfectionistic household where everything was supposed to be, well...perfect. My second year of college (in nursing school with a 4.0, wonderful boyfriend, etc) I just couldn't take it any more. I felt like I was rotting from the inside and when I did my psychiatry rotation I was like dang, I should be a patient in this hospital, not a student!

Years of medication, therapy, and having a career in mental health myself got me to a much better place. I also have chosen to focus on my kids' experiences and not their "achievements." As long as they are trying hard and happy I will support them. This is definitely not to say that Owen's family was unsupportive, just that I know what it's like to have very high expectations placed upon you and the stress and shame that often ensue. I don't want my kids to have that pressure.

I still have ups and downs. I had a great psychiatrist once that basically said that with a mood disorder there will be periods of ups and downs, but that they are never permanent. Things will always get better (or worse!) and we just have to roll with it and take what we can from those experiences. Pretty much what you said, @PajamaSleuth but less eloquent! It breaks my heart that some people can't see a way out of the darkness I was also really rattled by Leanne Bearden's death). I'm so glad that issues related to mental health are becoming more recognized and less stigmatized. If you're struggling I'll be the old lady over on *this side* of the country that cares about you!

Annemc2, I wish I could “love” a post. “Like” just doesn’t seem strong enough.

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

My understanding is they don't publicize suicides in the media for fear of copycat attempts. That makes sense, but agree, we need to have open discussions about this growing reality and not pretend it's not a problem, especially with our youth.

I don't think it makes sense at all (nor is there much scientific investigation into "copycat" suicides. Suicide rates can be very high among groups that have no TV, no internet.

Word travels fast in college communities when a student commits suicide, and the best thing to do is to tell the story and give resources for help. Apparently, most people in Portland know that this bridge is used for suicides, despite such a small amount of press. A long form article, after a decent time, would be great.

What's really sad is that most students will assume Owen killed himself, anyway, because of the manner of death. If it turns out later that it was not a suicide, that will probably never sink into the student consciousness the way the finding of his body near the bridge has done.

IOW, IMO, people who are seriously suicidal are...seriously suicidal and will find a way. Jumping off something is a pretty obvious way to do it. It's sad that there's no hotline right there (and no cameras, apparently). I wonder how many go missing from that bridge and are never found (being without family and friends at the time).

There's a very poignant and sensitive documentary titled "The Bridge" that I watched several years ago.

The filmmaker documented several heartbreaking scenes from a vantage point near the Golden Gate bridge in San Francisco, then interviewed friends and family of the victims.

It's certainly a difficult watch, but also empathetic. Of particular interest was an interview with a young man who survived. I found it to be powerful, riveting and enlightening. IMO

There's a very poignant and sensitive documentary titled "The Bridge" that I watched several years ago.

The filmmaker documented several heartbreaking scenes from a vantage point near the Golden Gate bridge in San Francisco, then interviewed friends and family of the victims.

It's certainly a difficult watch, but also empathetic. Of particular interest was an interview with a young man who survived. I found it to be powerful, riveting and enlightening. IMO

I've seen that documentary. It's a difficult watch, but worth it. I am very interested in working to prevent death by suicide and providing resources for those with suicidal ideation/thoughts/inclination. I'm not a stranger to the ideation. I am blessed to have a family and two daughters that I cherish and the fact they exist, made it an impossible choice for me because I would never ruin their lives. I am thankful that I worked through the time period and issues and thankful that I am happy and love life so much, even though it's not easy. (it's never easy....! it's just not!)

I really want to help those who feel there is no way out. I read a great quote last week. "When you have exhausted every possibility, you haven't". This is a loose quote and I don't recall the source. But it means so much to me. There is ALWAYS a way out and a better day. Always. Quoting Eleanor Roosevelt, "If you're going through hell, keep going."

Thanks drama_farmer for referencing this documentary. Great post!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back