OR - Public health emergency declared over measles anti-vax hotspot near Portland and NY, Jan 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Some good articles about the faked research:

Autism/MMR Vaccine Study Faked: FAQ

20 years ago, research fraud catalyzed the anti-vaccination movement. Let’s not repeat history.

Retracted autism study an 'elaborate fraud,' British journal finds - CNN.com

And an extra:

No MMR-Autism Link in Large Study of Vaccinated vs. Unvaccinated Kids | Autism Speaks

In the largest-ever study of its kind, researchers again found that the measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine did not increase risk for autism spectrum disorder (ASD). This proved true even among children already considered at high risk for the disorder.

In all, the researchers analyzed the health records of 95,727 children, including more than 15,000 children unvaccinated at age 2 and more than 8,000 still unvaccinated at age 5. Nearly 2,000 of these children were considered at risk for autism because they were born into families that already had a child with the disorder.

Yeah I was persuaded by the anectodal evidence. Parent after parent. Child after child. So many cases of kids who seemed fine before the shot and developed autism symptoms directly after.

But then I read the research. Really read it. Study upon study. It's clear. Kids who are not vaccinated develop autism at the exact same rates. No difference.

Then I started remembering some things about the numerous videos and books I've read about autism. And do you know what else seemed to precipitate the regression? A cold. The flu. An operation. Bad allergies.

It seems that anything that affects the immune system or the body systemically can trigger the development of regressive autism in a child. But it doesn't matter if they avoid vaccines. Something is going to trigger it at some point. You can't prevent kids from getting colds. Even if the effect of vaccines on the immune system triggers it in some kids (and there's no proof of this), the studies are definitive. There is no increase in rates of diagnosis. Period.

And as to the speculation that big pharma funded the studies so they must be faked, here's the deal:

1. For the conspiracy theory to be real, there would have to be the impossibility of not one leak ever of anyone admitting numbers were fudged.

2. We would have to accept that most doctors and scientists (who support vaccines and the studies) are evil and want to harm children or are fatally stupid.

3. We would have to ignore this logic: Health insurance companies are for profit (with the exception of Kaiser). It's about shareholders and stock prices. It's about profit. Health insurance companies push vaccines like mad. All the childhood vaccines and flu vaccines each year, which only reduce the risk of flu.

Why?

There is zero proof of any big pharma kickbacks. None. If there were such kickbacks there would be multiple lawsuits about that.

There is no way such kickbacks would be able to remain secret.

Mathematically, the amount of any such kick backs would be prohibitive. Even for big pharma. Why? Because it would have to be massively huge enough to make up for the costs to the insurance companies to treat all the people anti-vaxxers claims are made ill or injured from vaccines. They make numerous claims about such injuries. If there was one shred of evidence correlating vaccines with more than rare injuries or with all the illnesses anti-vaxxers now claim vaccines cause, no way would health insurance companies push them.

Because they bear the costs of treating ill insured and insurance companies are all about keeping people healthy with the minimal amount of treatment and preventative measure possible.

The fact is, vaccines prevent serious illnesses. They reduce the risk of dangerous illness. They work.

100%? No. Nothing is always perfect. But enough that insurance companies who play the numbers game, know how necessary vaccines are.

And the "White Elephant in the Room" is the prevalence of illegal aliens, who have not been screened and had medical vaccinations before being allowed entry into the United States. INA 212 (a)(1)

Borders protect people inside of them. We welcome immigrants, who follow Immigration laws, made to protect citizens.

Nope. Not true. People south of the border now receive vaccines at higher rates than some pockets on the US. They trust doctors in those countries and are happy to get vaccines:

"Much of this progress can be attributed to Mexico's immunization program, which has brought the proportion of fully immunized children under age 5 years to 94% over the past 5 years. Mexico's president has been instrumental in the program's success, having a personal interest in childhood vaccination and supervising the twice-yearly immunization coverage surveys."
Mexico's immunization programme gets results. - PubMed - NCBI

In the US, it's more the Whole Foods crowd.

http://drninashapiro.com/portfolio/why-are-rich-to-not-vaccinate-their-children-in-the-us

Vaccines are widely available for little to no cost. It's not the inner cities or rural areas that are having outbreaks, it's the wealthier areas.

Nope. Also absolutely untrue. It's almost evenly split between hippie liberal types and anti-government right wing religious people who live in rural areas:

https://allianceforscience.cornell....raced-extremes-political-spectrumstudy-finds/

Anti-vaccination beliefs don't follow the usual political polarization

https://www.google.com/amp/s/psmag.com/.amp/education/the-curious-morality-of-the-anti-vaxxer

How to Talk to Anti-Vaxxers

Let's stop trying to make this a political issue and blame one party.

I don’t know about other states, but here in Indiana we have Indiana School for the Deaf and Indiana School for the Blind and Visually Impaired. Both are in Indianapolis.

The schools for the deaf and blind started diminishing with mainstreaming, mostly. We do have less illnesses causing deafness though as well as cochlear implants now.

Last edited:
That is too intense. Even though they could be infecting a lot of people, drawing guns is overboard

They barreled in there not because they feared the kid would infect others but because they though the child was dying. The kid had 105 temperature and the parents were told by their naturopath doctor to take the child directly to the ER. When hey found out the parents had not, they called CPS.

Most anti-vax folks I meet are more concerned with cancers than autism. I’m not making an opinion here, just sharing something interesting to me.
“When you see an increase like that -- that fast -- in a short period of time, most likely it is going to be driven by some exposure to environmental factors,” says Catherine Metayer, MD, PhD, an adjunct professor at the University of California, Berkeley, School of Public Health.
Childhood Cancer Rates Are Rising. Why?

If there was a correlation, the entities that have to pay when their clients get sick, would know it and not push vaccines. Insurance companies push vaccines for a reason.

Nope. Not true. People south of the border now receive vaccines at higher rates than some pockets on the US. They trust doctors in those countries and are happy to get vaccines:

"Much of this progress can be attributed to Mexico's immunization program, which has brought the proportion of fully immunized children under age 5 years to 94% over the past 5 years. Mexico's president has been instrumental in the program's success, having a personal interest in childhood vaccination and supervising the twice-yearly immunization coverage surveys."
Mexico's immunization programme gets results. - PubMed - NCBI

I was speaking about aliens who come into this country without inspection and admission. I did not mention a specific country.

I have a “friend” of decades who had a child that developed issues at about 18 months and eventually died at age 10.

She mistakingly let out that it was a genetic problem a few years ago.

But now that anti vaxx is popular, she is blaming that. Makes me so angry because people who did not know that believe her .Anecdotal evidence. Grrr.

As far as autism, it is being diagnosed now. Before we simply dismissed them as kids that were different unless they presented the extreme things such as rocking or repetitive motions, etc.

When googling, there is a huge list of famous people who have autism.

So the children of anti-vaxxers might die, be severely ill or lose some of their senses or have lifelong disabilities. And their kids might still be autistic as well and inherited that in their genes. Because the parents know better than the science. I wonder what cures they have lined up?

I was speaking about aliens who come into this country without inspection and admission. I did not mention a specific country.

Most "aliens" come from south of the border. And their rates of vaccination are high. Also, I've travelled all over the world and no one checked my vaccination schedule before allowing me to enter.

Most aliens simply overstay visas.

US Undocumented Population Continued to Fall from 2016 to 2017, and Visa Overstays Significantly Exceeded Illegal Crossings for the Seventh Consecutive Year - The Center for Migration Studies of New York (CMS)

Do you know what the rules are about entering the US?

What aliens are you talking about? People rich enough to come on an airplane?

I don't want to derail this thread. Aliens are defined as people who are not U.S. citizens. That is in the INA law. Laws regarding immigration are over 300 years old, it is not "political". It is the laws, put in place by Congress and voted into law by the Senate.

It is an issue worth noting when discussing measles. That aliens who have not been lawfully admitted into the United States, may not have been inspected or meeting the rigorous requirements for admission. Simply answering your question.

And it is tragic that people don't actually read about vaccines, there is absolutely no empirical evidence that proves that vaccines cause Autism, or any other type of brain dysfunction. The people who don't vaccinate their children are putting them at risk. I am old enough to have actually had measles. I was sick, and remember how miserable it was, Fortunately I didn't have any other problems. Measles don't usually cause death, it is follow up pneumonia or other issues that attack when immunity is so weakened.

While Rockland County is in NY (versus OR the topic of this thread), some of the first measles cases were present on Long Island after families in Ultra-Orthodox communities visited Israel. In Hasidic communities the lack of vaccination of members is high as it is in the Haredi families. People do not have to have proof of measles vaccination to come into this country legally. These families have been a major part of the spread of the disease in Rockland and in high concentration areas of Haredi in NYC. Please bear in mind that these families came back into this country with inspection.

Note: You can apply for a religious exemption for vaccination in NYS.
War breaks out in New York’s ultra-Orthodox community over measles outbreak

There is a measles public health emergency in Rockland County NY. Most of the religious exemption folks are Orthodox Jews that make up a large part of the population in the measles outbreak area. NY measles outbreak spotlights religious exemptions from vaccine
Rockland County took the unique stance of banning people from public places who are not vaccinated (during this outbreak...there was a deadline, not a permanent ban).

Anyway, that decision was challenged and:
"On Friday they [a group of public school parents] obtained a partial victory: a judge issued an injunction requiring county officials to drop the ban against any child with a 'religious exemption,' at least until April 19."

There is also movement to change the law to eliminate the exceptions.

Info at the link.

jmo

Rockland County took the unique stance of banning people from public places who are not vaccinated (during this outbreak...there was a deadline, not a permanent ban).

Anyway, that decision was challenged and:
"On Friday they [a group of public school parents] obtained a partial victory: a judge issued an injunction requiring county officials to drop the ban against any child with a 'religious exemption,' at least until April 19."

There is also movement to change the law to eliminate the exceptions.

Info at the link.

jmo

Yes, while I am not in Rockland County, I travel close by the area often. I have been in parts of NY where measles outbreaks occurred. The fear that this can infect vaccinated and unvaccinated people is real. While I tend to be a delayed vaccinator (kids are fully vaccinated by 7), I have had to worry about my kids with these outbreaks. People are avoiding town stores and the Palisades Mall. Businesses are suffering. The ban seemed like it wouldn't hold up but the chance of getting measles is rising in this area, NYC and religious communities in NJ as well.

Last edited:
I don't want to derail this thread. Aliens are defined as people who are not U.S. citizens. That is in the INA law. Laws regarding immigration are over 300 years old, it is not "political". It is the laws, put in place by Congress and voted into law by the Senate.

It is an issue worth noting when discussing measles. That aliens who have not been lawfully admitted into the United States, may not have been inspected or meeting the rigorous requirements for admission. Simply answering your question.

And it is tragic that people don't actually read about vaccines, there is absolutely no empirical evidence that proves that vaccines cause Autism, or any other type of brain dysfunction. The people who don't vaccinate their children are putting them at risk. I am old enough to have actually had measles. I was sick, and remember how miserable it was, Fortunately I didn't have any other problems. Measles don't usually cause death, it is follow up pneumonia or other issues that attack when immunity is so weakened.

People fly into this country without being "inspected" all the time. It's how the flu spreads.

My parents immigrated to this country legally. They weren't "inspected".

I'm not sure why anyone would think there's an issue with this. It seems like propaganda meant to foster fear of immigrants.

Unless you're going to close all the borders permanently and not allow anyone in or out ever, you can't stop people from potentially traveling here with a disease.

I'm sorry but this is not an issue and is not logical.

Immigrants aren't medically inspected. And there is no reason to fear that people illegally crossing a border or overstaying a visa, which is the bulk of illegal immigrants, somehow carry more diseases than other people traveling here.

Last edited:
I think the person who was writing about "without inspection" is referring to people who enter the country without going through customs and border control. Those that enter without inspection are in this country illegally. Inspection refers to documents.
This is a link to explain how the government uses the terminology: entering the us without inspection

Back in the day when we had quarantine stations like on Ellis Island, the question of health was a bit easier to determine as people were on boats for a week or more crossing oceans. So, diseases were already spreading or not spreading. Keeping people in isolation for diseases like consumption (now known as TB) was easier to determine. However, we don't inspect in the same way today. You are asked if you are ill or if you have travelled to places with things like Ebola. No one to my knowledge is curtailing people from entering the US with diseases like measles prevalent in their communities. See WHO site (Measles and Rubella Surveillance Data)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarneson59
Back