OR OR - Samuel Boehlke-Becker, 8, Crater Lake National Park, 14 Oct 2006

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Perhaps...well John Travolta also seemed to be in denial about his son,
blaming it on "vacines" or something

I seem to remember in the Utah case, the family's denial actually held up finding the boy...people were out there risking their lives, when all the while the kid was sitting there, not responding....various experts even said that had searchers been told "how" to approach him and /or call for him etc, that he could have been found sooner

so yeah I think at some point it is people's business if a family risks searchers and /or dogs and prolongs a search

I think that in this case maybe the dad felt that way...he didn't want to admit how negligent he had been...cause I feel it is pretty negligent myself...to leave a kid get away from him like this..

if it was a toddler I would say the same thing

the fact it took him 2 hours to get help bothered me...unlike some here I didn't immediately think the dad "did" something bad....I think however he was in some sort of denial ?

I should have been more clear. When I stated this family, I meant Hawkins. IIRC, the official statement in the Hawkins case was that Brennan was shy and may not come out for strangers.

Alot of people are in denial about their children. I don't see it as a religious issue.

I should have been more clear. When I stated this family, I meant Hawkins. IIRC, the official statement in the Hawkins case was that Brennan was shy and may not come out for strangers.

Alot of people are in denial about their children. I don't see it as a religious issue.
I have two good friends who have autistic children. Neither of them are in denial about it, but they do blame vaccines for the cause.

I think (hope?) that the searchers and LE may have known about Sammy's problems when they first started looking. It's possible that the media was a little behind with this issue, as that's not unheard of.

Thanks...vacines or not , the fact is that the family of the Hawkins boy did deliberately mislead the searchers/LE perhaps as a result of their own denial

the case was a real "miracle" and there was even talk of a tv movie etc...but when they held a press conference anyone could see that this kid had problems, he could not look anyone in the eyes, he was acting very strangely

in regards to religion...I may be off base here but I recall that some people in the LDS church rely on the church for therapy etc...and as I recall the boy should never have been in a "regular' scout troop, he should have been in a special needs/ed troop

the searchers should have been made aware of his "problems" and told how to search, how to draw him out..instead they were out there for hours calling him while he was curled up in a ball hiding and hearing them

there is no reason to pussyfoot around this stuff when the information might make a difference in finding a lost kid

I just got a similar "vibe' from this case...that somehow the family /dad were downplaying this boy's problems

Was the Hawkins boy diagnosed with autism? I'm sorry, I'm familiar with the case but don't remember it well.

Sammy was never diagnosed with anything. He did display signs of low-level autism, but if I remember correctly, it was never diagnosed. That may have played a part in whether or not to tell, or when to tell.

Was the Hawkins boy diagnosed with autism? I'm sorry, I'm familiar with the case but don't remember it well.

Sammy was never diagnosed with anything. He did display signs of low-level autism, but if I remember correctly, it was never diagnosed. That may have played a part in whether or not to tell, or when to tell.

We never found out if he was diagnosed....once the media speculation came out so much and people were asking what was wrong, the family withdrew, can't blame them. There were some "statements" by some of the searchers regarding the fact that they would have searched differently had they known of the problem, experts agreed etc

In this case....if the boy was "undiagnosed" what is that about?? After he goes missing you simply say "yeah we think he was some where on the "spectrum" but we never bothered to go to experts"??

That is bizarre to me, sorry

The family may have been in some major denial, maybe letting this poor kid do things that were beyond his level of comfort and ultimately dangerous...and who is to say?? cause...no one ever sought help for him...what a tragedy

How do you know they never sought help for him?

My oldest grandson was diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder, and he goes to a regular school, participates in band, choir, sports, scouts and other assorted *normal* kid activities --- and all with *normal* kids, too.

How do you know they never sought help for him?

My oldest grandson was diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder, and he goes to a regular school, participates in band, choir, sports, scouts and other assorted *normal* kid activities --- and all with *normal* kids, too.

Because Idaho4Groines said "Sammy was never diagnosed with anything. He did display signs of low-level autism, but if I remember correctly, it was never diagnosed."

apparently Sammy just took off running....we really don't know many details..had he done things like this before, was this the first time or ???

Reports vary on the exact issues that Sammy had.

Sammy, who showed signs of low-level autism but hasn't been diagnosed with the disorder...... (
http://www.heraldandnews.com/articles/2006/10/18/news/local_news/local1.txt [link no longer active, but quoted on the first page of this thread])

The boy, described by his family as exhibiting symptoms of autism...... (http://www.theworldlink.com/articles/2006/10/19/news/news06101906.txt)

...the boy suffered from a form of autism known as sensory integration disorder, which causes him to cover his ears and hide when he hears loud noises. Because of his condition, searchers have been asked not to blow whistles or sirens. (http://archive.mailtribune.com/archive/2006/1020/local/stories/boy2.htm)

Sammy has Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), a condition also known as high functioning autism. (http://home.nps.gov/applications/digest/headline.cfm?type=Incidents&id=2935)

Sammie had some behaviors that were associated with low-level autism, but he had not been diagnosed with an autism disorder. (http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100304/NEWS/3040325/-1/NEWSMAP)

But I think most importantly...and what I suspected earlier...

Although searchers have had this information since the start of the search, in the interests of maintaining their privacy, the family has not released it to the public until today. However, the great public sympathy and media interest in the search for Sammy have prompted the family to take this opportunity to help people learn about ASD. (http://home.nps.gov/applications/digest/headline.cfm?type=Incidents&id=2935)

But MOST importantly is the fact that Sammy, and any child with autism, is not defined by that. Yes, it can factor into a search, but the searchers knew about it. What defined Sammy is this:

“Like any other eight-year-old, Sammy Boehlke likes root beer, mac & cheese with extra cheese, and corn dogs. He likes playing with Yugio cards, Legos, and tinker toys. He enjoys playing with sticks and digging in the dirt. Pirates and dragons are his special interests. He likes hiking, fishing, and being out of doors. His favorite stuffed animals are Piggy and Treasure the horse."

(http://home.nps.gov/applications/digest/headline.cfm?type=Incidents&id=2935)

Because Idaho4Groines said "Sammy was never diagnosed with anything. He did display signs of low-level autism, but if I remember correctly, it was never diagnosed."

apparently Sammy just took off running....we really don't know many details..had he done things like this before, was this the first time or ???

Just because he hadn't been officially diagnosed doesn't equate to the parents not seeking help for him. It took some time and a number of evaluations before my grandson was diagnosed, but during that interim my daughter was seeking help. So unless you have proof they intentionally ignored his problems, there is really no basis for what you said.

But MOST importantly is the fact that Sammy, and any child with autism, is not defined by that. Yes, it can factor into a search, but the searchers knew about it. What defined Sammy is this:

“Like any other eight-year-old, Sammy Boehlke likes root beer, mac & cheese with extra cheese, and corn dogs. He likes playing with Yugio cards, Legos, and tinker toys. He enjoys playing with sticks and digging in the dirt. Pirates and dragons are his special interests. He likes hiking, fishing, and being out of doors. His favorite stuffed animals are Piggy and Treasure the horse."

(http://home.nps.gov/applications/digest/headline.cfm?type=Incidents&id=2935)

"Thanks" is not sufficient.

5-06 2000-26-4128-428(D). Crater Lake, Ore. Missing child. Samuel Boehlke Cleetwood Cover area. Portland, Ore. 97221. Team: H. Oakes SAR Dog Valorie K-9-1. Results: Drove to Crater Lake, Did search for Sam. Val tracked SARM and located where he was dead. Possible cougar. Also located what appeared to be two strands of human hair in predator feces. Park Ranger given hair for evidence. Family advised.

http://www.k9sardog.com/lostpeople.html

5-06 2000-26-4128-428(D). Crater Lake, Ore. Missing child. Samuel Boehlke Cleetwood Cover area. Portland, Ore. 97221. Team: H. Oakes SAR Dog Valorie K-9-1. Results: Drove to Crater Lake, Did search for Sam. Val tracked SARM and located where he was dead. Possible cougar. Also located what appeared to be two strands of human hair in predator feces. Park Ranger given hair for evidence. Family advised.

http://www.k9sardog.com/lostpeople.html

This is hard to understand. "Located where he was dead." ??? Sammy was not found dead... And human hair in possible cougar feces? Okay...was it tested for DNA? Or just given as "evidence"? Ugh.

I took it to mean where he probably succumbed to the elements. The spot where he had died.

Sammy has now been missing for 4 years.

Just wanted to bring this picture forward again.

SammyBoehlkephotoshop.jpg

I can't believe it's been five years!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3