OR OR - Sherry Wellwood, 46, Portland hospital, 10 Dec 2019 *car found*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I've just come across this case today as I've gone down the rabbit hole of missing women in southern Oregon.
First off, I want to join others in thanking @Bigfoot1977 for his selfless work in trying to find Sherry. It's not often that people will go so far out of their way and even put themselves in possible danger to help a stranger who has been missing for a while.

My first impression is that Sherry was possibly manic with possible psychosis. This would explain driving so far and to such an extreme place. It would explain her possibly thinking of herself as invincible. It could explain taking random turn, after turn, after turn on the mountain roads, ultimately finding herself in a place where she had to sleep in her vehicle. Perhaps she woke up in the morning and could have been irrational (combo of mental health and hypothermia) and decided to walk for help, leaving her personal belongings behind her.

But now I'm leaning towards Sherryl showing signs of MH or making poor decisions in talking to someone along a more travelled route and someone taking advantage of her. This perp knew where to dump her vehicle...knew the forestry roads up that way. This is based on Bigfoot's observations and knowledge of the area...and that it would have been difficult for Sherryl to have found her way that far up those roads during that kind of weather.

Either way, my heart is breaking for Sherryl's loved ones. If only the hospital hadn't released her. She didn't deserve this.

Last edited:
Sherry has been added to NamUs.

1683413570921.jpeg

Sherry Wellwood and her vehicle disappeared on 12/10/2019. Her vehicle was recovered on 12/19/2019 on a rural mountain snowy area in Josephine County, Oregon (Spencer Creek Road). Sherry's wallet and cellphone were found inside the vehicle. An extensive Search and Rescue mission was conducted of this area to no avail. Two suspicious individuals transported Sherry's vehicle away from the road, prior to police contact.

Sherry Marie Wellwood​

wellwood_sherry.jpg
wellwood_sherry2.jpg
wellwood_sherry_car.jpg

Wellwood, circa 2019; Blue 2005 Hyundai Sonata
  • Missing Since 12/10/2019
  • Missing From Hillsboro, Oregon
  • ClassificationEndangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Age 46 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'3, 191 pounds
  • Medical Conditions Wellwood suffers from mental illness and was hospitalized for this just prior to her disappearance.
  • Associated Vehicle(s) Blue 2005 Hyundai Sonata with the license plate number 636GAU (accounted for)
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, hazel eyes. Wellwood has a tattoo on her breast, and her ears are pierced. Her nickname is Sher.

Details of Disappearance​

Wellwood was last seen on December 10, 2019, when she was discharged from the hospital; she had been hospitalized in Portland, Oregon for psychiatric treatment for about two weeks. She was supposed to attend an appointment at a walk-in clinic after her discharge, but never showed up there. She has never been heard from again.

On December 19, her blue 2005 Hyundai Sonata with the license plate number 636GAU was found on BLM Road 37-6-36, which connects Spencer Creek Road to Cedar Flat Road in a rural mountainous area of Josephine County, Oregon. It had gone slightly off the road and was stuck in about eight inches of snow, with six more inches of snow piled on it. Her wallet and cellular phone were inside it, but an extensive search turn up no sign of Wellwood herself. A photo of the car is posted with this case summary.

It's possible Wellwood became lost or injured after leaving her stuck vehicle and trying to walk to get help. The car was found about 300 miles from where she was last seen, and she had no friends or family in the area. Her case remains unsolved.

Last updated February 6, 2024; casefile added.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randell9587
Back