OR OR - Stephanie Warner, 43, Ruch, 4 July 2013 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm sorry to go a little off topic here, but I had to comment on the photo. It's stunning. Not only the subject matter, but the color, composition, the deep focus and arrangement of objects -- all lovely. My hat's off to your DH.

Thanks Bessie. I read your comment to my DH who is :blushing:

Our other missing Oregon woman Jennifer Huston has been found deceased. Almost immediately, compared to Stephanie. But I always felt the cases were very different, and no foul play would be involved in Jennifer's case.

My thoughts go out to Jennifer's loved ones.

It's horribly sad about Jennifer, but after Leanne Bearden, that's where my first thoughts go. People who seem to have everything to live for can reach a point where all they want to do is end the pain...even when husbands and small children are left behind. It's hard to fathom, but I learned a lot on Leanne Bearden's thread from those who were willing to share their experiences and research. If Jennifer did end her own life, as I suspect, at least she didn't take anyone else with her as some do. My heart goes out to her whole family.

It has crossed my mind a few times that Stephanie could have ended her own life, despite her close ties to her Mom and friends and animals. But the car being driven and returned late at night is evidence against that scenario, and she was not tracked leaving her property on foot IIRC. So that leads us right back to the POI, etc. IMO.

I usually lurk, but I have read through all of the threads, I really hope Stephanie can be found soon!

I usually lurk, but I have read through all of the threads, I really hope Stephanie can be found soon!

Welcome! Thanks for reading and sharing your hope. It really helps. If you have any new ideas based on your reading, don't hesitate to jump in and join us. :tyou:

It's horribly sad about Jennifer, but after Leanne Bearden, that's where my first thoughts go. People who seem to have everything to live for can reach a point where all they want to do is end the pain...even when husbands and small children are left behind. It's hard to fathom, but I learned a lot on Leanne Bearden's thread from those who were willing to share their experiences and research. If Jennifer did end her own life, as I suspect, at least she didn't take anyone else with her as some do. My heart goes out to her whole family.

It has crossed my mind a few times that Stephanie could have ended her own life, despite her close ties to her Mom and friends and animals. But the car being driven and returned late at night is evidence against that scenario, and she was not tracked leaving her property on foot IIRC. So that leads us right back to the POI, etc. IMO.

The Leanne Bearden case was how I found webslueths, after the way that ended I didn't really come on here much more then I started getting into some other cases, the next case that drew me in was Jennifer Huston, I couldn't believe again how that ended. Both cases just so sad.

I've read in some articles that scent hounds and cadaver dogs were used, did they not pick up any scents at all?

The Leanne Bearden case was how I found webslueths, after the way that ended I didn't really come on here much more then I started getting into some other cases, the next case that drew me in was Jennifer Huston, I couldn't believe again how that ended. Both cases just so sad.

I'm so sorry. It's a tragedy that so many of these cases end in suicide. Starting last August and counting Jennifer, I've ended up following five suicide cases on WS. Three were in their 20's and 30's, one was in his 40's and one in his late teens. It's disheartening and now my first thought when someone goes missing is suicide. At least in Jennifer's and Leanne's cases, people opened up and shared their experiences and other information that was really educational and may be helpful. Josh Bearden has started a foundation dedicated to suicide prevention.

Although Stephanie's case has moved more slowly than we would like, I stay here because there clearly is someone who made her disappear and I want to see him arrested. Her Mom deserves that much. I hope you stick around.

I've read in some articles that scent hounds and cadaver dogs were used, did they not pick up any scents at all?

All we know is that the dogs didn't lead them to Stephanie. I would imagine that her scent was on her property, but there was no indication that she left her property on foot at any point. So that would rule out taking a walk and having an accident. If she left her property, it would have been by car and her car was returned.

Unfortunately, dogs are not perfect. Last August, dogs searched for Johnathan Croom and didn't find him, although he was later found hanging from a tree less than a mile from his car. Smoke from forest fires likely hampered them. In the case of Teleka Patrick, a dog followed her scent to the interstate. It turned out that she had gone in the opposite direction and drowned in a pond.

In Stephanie's case, LE really did hit it hard initially with dogs, grid searches and helicopter. She is well hidden, as I would expect, knowing the POI's experience in the woods.

After, reading all the threads, I never once entertained the idea that Stephanie committed suicide. I think that it is obvious the who and what but it is finding her body and hopefully finding enough evidence to prove he did it. LE reacted too slowly in this case.

After, reading all the threads, I never once entertained the idea that Stephanie committed suicide. I think that it is obvious the who and what but it is finding her body and hopefully finding enough evidence to prove he did it. LE reacted too slowly in this case.

I agree that suicide is out of the question. Leanne Bearden made me question everything though. Briefly.

My DH has said for many months that the reason Ames has been seemingly cooperative (early on per Henderson) and confident is that he knows Stephanie is not likely to be found or that if she is, he won't be incriminated. He had several days' head start and took a break from his incessant posting of YouTube videos during that time. It wasn't his first or last break, but the timing seems significant to me.

His actions since she disappeared have been more focused on defending his "reputation" and maligning others than on finding Stephanie.

I've been following the case of adorable six year old Jenise Wright in Bremerton, WA whose body was found yesterday after being missing since the weekend. :( I realize that cases involving children (and moms like Jennifer Huston) rightly get a lot of LE and media attention. Even on WS, the number of threads for each of those cases surpasses in a week or so the threads for Stephanie's case in a whole year.

I understand that missing kids and Moms (and attractive teen and 20-something girls) tug at our heart strings, partly because of their vulnerability. I just wish that Stephanie had been in the "right" demographic and "type" to get the kind of initial surge of community support and publicity every missing person deserves. Don't go missing if you are 40+ and childless.
:banghead:

But on a brighter note, I have to say that Stephanie's case has attracted a committed group of WSers who have done some hard core sleuthing, thinking, supporting and publicizing. We've also been kind to each other. There hasn't been the bickering and nitpicking I've seen on other threads. I don't recall the mods ever threatening to close down the thread (or else I've blocked it out!). So yay for us, despite my moment of cynical frustration. And yay for reporter Roma who hasn't forgotten Stephanie.
:yourock:

I've been following the case of adorable six year old Jenise Wright in Bremerton, WA whose body was found yesterday after being missing since the weekend. :( I realize that cases involving children (and moms like Jennifer Huston) rightly get a lot of LE and media attention. Even on WS, the number of threads for each of those cases surpasses in a week or so the threads for Stephanie's case in a whole year.

I understand that missing kids and Moms (and attractive teen and 20-something girls) tug at our heart strings, partly because of their vulnerability. I just wish that Stephanie had been in the "right" demographic and "type" to get the kind of initial surge of community support and publicity every missing person deserves. Don't go missing if you are 40+ and childless.
:banghead:

But on a brighter note, I have to say that Stephanie's case has attracted a committed group of WSers who have done some hard core sleuthing, thinking, supporting and publicizing. We've also been kind to each other. There hasn't been the bickering and nitpicking I've seen on other threads. I don't recall the mods ever threatening to close down the thread (or else I've blocked it out!). So yay for us, despite my moment of cynical frustration. And yay for reporter Roma who hasn't forgotten Stephanie.
:yourock:

I agree 100% with everything you have said. It is sad that Stephanie did not get the media attention that she deserved. However, I do put some of the blame on LE.

This is a nice group of wsers here. There has been no arguments etc. Just a great group of people working on a common goal. I wish I lived closer so I could be a greater help.

ETA - i have noticed in cold cases, people are more relaxed because I think we know the answer to our queries or goals are unlikely to happen in a day or two. In recent cases, the emotions are high, and the adrenalin is pumping. Hence, people can and do get nasty at times. Lol

Stephanie was in Ashland, working on the float July 3rd. She was exhausted, so I encouraged her to come spend the night in her room at my place instead of driving all the way to Ruch - she said she had to give her kitty medication; devoted to her "babies" she wouldn't miss giving her the medication she'd just received from her traveling vet the 2nd of July (two days later when I went searching for Sissy, I looked in the fridge and saw that only two doses of medication had been given her kitty, I knew something was horribly wrong... the last dose she gave was on the 3rd of July. The fact that she never called me or her Mama the evening of July 4th and that her cat wasn't given medication after July 3rd, leads me to believe she never made it home the night of the 4th). Stephanie had brought POI to her home the evening of the 3rd, so they could leave together EARLY the morning of the 4th. She planned to pick up Jared and his GF in Ashland, where they were living at the time, and arrive at JCFC to prepare for the parade.

I believe POI's white truck was stored at Steph's home, but I never saw him drive it; they always drove Stephanie's SUV when they went to town because his truck was unregistered. I never knew of perp driving Steph's SUV and never observed him driving it. Sissy always drove them when they went anywhere. At the time she disappeared, POI was NOT living with Stephanie. She'd changed her gate code and had made it clear that her home was HER home. I believe she was getting ready to break up with him for good when she disappeared. We all know that the most lethal time for a battered/abused woman is when she is leaving her abuser. Just something to think about...

Thanks, Dicentra. Feel so badly for you, with your friend disappearing like this. I've been over at the Jennifer Huston thread since joining WS, but felt like I should now move to a thread where someone has still not been found, and I saw the link to Stephanie's case...I really appreciated your summary here, as it helps me a great deal with the overall picture. I've also read some of the initial pages (and some of the latest pages) regarding Stephanie, so I will now head back to go through all the the pages now...but it sounds like there may be some recent movement (searches) for Stephanie, and I'm very glad to hear that.

Thanks, Dicentra. Feel so badly for you, with your friend [correction after reading past posts: your aunt] disappearing like this. I've been over at the Jennifer Huston thread since joining WS, but felt like I should now move to a thread where someone has still not been found, and I saw the link to Stephanie's case...I really appreciated your summary here, as it helps me a great deal with the overall picture. I've also read some of the initial pages (and some of the latest pages) regarding Stephanie, so I will now head back to go through all the the pages now...but it sounds like there may be some recent movement (searches) for Stephanie, and I'm very glad to hear that.

Welcome Thinkx3. :) Thanks so much for joining us. Fresh eyes are always needed, as well as people keeping this thread active. Actually, you were right the first time. Dicentra is Stephanie's friend. I think her son may have referred to Stephanie as "aunt." They were very close.

We are hopeful that the recent searches will turn up enough "probable cause" for an arrest warrant. That seems to be what Detective Henderson is aiming for, since Stephanie has not been found. Of course, most of us think there was probable cause a long time ago. IMO :banghead: But we aren't privy to all the info available to LE. Having enough evidence to successfully try a case without a body is the important thing now. And so we wait, grateful for all who wait with us.

Welcome Thinkx3. :) Thanks so much for joining us. Fresh eyes are always needed, as well as people keeping this thread active. Actually, you were right the first time. Dicentra is Stephanie's friend. I think her son may have referred to Stephanie as "
aunt." They were very close.

We are hopeful that the recent searches will turn up enough "probable cause" for an arrest warrant. That seems to be what Detective Henderson is aiming for, since Stephanie has not been found. Of course, most of us think there was probable cause a long time ago. IMO :banghead: But we aren't privy to all the info available to LE. Having enough evidence to successfully try a case without a body is the important thing now. And so we wait, grateful for all who wait with us.

Thanks, Lilibet! Yes, as I continue reading more on that thread, I did realize I was right the first time. :facepalm:So I'll just go back to that post and "put it back the way it was," for the sake of newcomers to this thread.

Added: I'm up to Page 16 on that other thread, and I can see all you guys have gone through with this case...hard, frustrating.

Welcome Thinkx3. :) Thanks so much for joining us. Fresh eyes are always needed, as well as people keeping this thread active. Actually, you were right the first time. Dicentra is Stephanie's friend. I think her son may have referred to Stephanie as "aunt." They were very close.

I've been "catching up" on this case so that I don't ask you guys an annoying question that's already answered somewhere in the thread. That said, I am now up to Page #24 and am going to break down and ask you ONE of those annoying questions: :shame:

VEHICLE, VEHICLE, VEHICLE...
Wow, just like in the JH case, the vehicle is sometimes just so crucial, one way or another...I noted in the thread that Dicentra stated that Stephanie's vehicle was not parked in its usual spot when Dicentra went to Stephanie's house...then earlier in the thread, it was mentioned that the vehicle had been installed with a "mouth breath device" (I understand what is meant by this -- I just have no idea what it's technically called). My annoying, obvious question is whether LE swabbed that mouth device, to see who last drove it. Maybe the DNA of both the POI and Stephanie would be on the device, making it a moot point, in terms of "evidence"...but I either missed where that testing was done by LE/lab techs -- or maybe they never released that info. Just wondering, if anybody knows.

Thanks. :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro
Back