Identified! OR - Van Duzer State Park, Wht/Blk/HispFem 6-10, UP76624, Dec'20 - Haley Mae Coblentz

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I didn't see Brooke Roberts on NCMEC, but she is on NAMUS. I know she was on the list initially mentioned, but she isnt a listed ruleout. Her situation would make sense why no one reported her missing in the area.

I didn't see Brooke Roberts on NCMEC, but she is on NAMUS. I know she was on the list initially mentioned, but she isnt a listed ruleout. Her situation would make sense why no one reported her missing in the area.

I can't find a Websleuths thread for Brooke Roberts / her parents. Did you find one? If not, I can start one.

I am just recently catching up with the thread. I am aware of the child being found in Lincoln County. Using mainstream media sources, I will include links to the story from the Oregonian, past and present:

Most recent link: Duffel bag held remains of unidentified girl found last year in Lincoln County, police reveal

Prior story: Mystery of girl’s remains generates 150 tips: ‘We are hoping there is somebody that misses this kid’

A sketch of the child:

https://www.oregonlive.com/resizer/.../advancelocal/VPRMYGCNYBH6TBVPBD5PBNWGZU.webp

Last edited:
Thanks for the interesting and informative link, will no doubt re post on other UID threads at some point!

''If the person was female, you will see the following features:
  • a wider subpubic angle
  • a broader sciatic notch
  • a subpubic concavity, which is absent or shallower in males
  • a sharp ridge down the ischiopubic ramus, which is flat and blunt in males
  • a preauricular sulcus (a notch or depression), which is more commonly seen in females
  • a ventral arc, absent in males
Often, however, only the skull of an individual is found. Fortunately, there are a lot of characteristics on the skull that can be used to determine sex. ''

''The teeth are very useful for determining the age of a child. The stages at which different teeth erupt from the gums are well known, and can be used to tell a child’s age to the year. But once all the adult teeth are fully developed, age is harder to determine. Adult teeth are worn down by chewing, and sometimes the amount a skeleton’s teeth are worn down can be used to estimate age. However, factors like a rough diet can mean an inaccurate age estimate.''
How many of the features listed that help identify gender don’t appear until puberty?

I am just recently catching up with the thread. I am aware of the child being found in Lincoln County. Using mainstream media sources, I will include links to the story from the Oregonian, past and present:

Most recent link: Duffel bag held remains of unidentified girl found last year in Lincoln County, police reveal

Prior story: Mystery of girl’s remains generates 150 tips: ‘We are hoping there is somebody that misses this kid’

A sketch of the child:

https://www.oregonlive.com/resizer/.../advancelocal/VPRMYGCNYBH6TBVPBD5PBNWGZU.webp
The first article you mention re: the duffle bag is behind a pay wall for me. Is that the article where being found with toys was also mentioned? I’ve seen toys mentioned in a few WS posts but not in any articles I was to able to access.

Did they give any additional info on the toys? i.e. specific kind of toys? Appropriate age of child that would play with them? The condition of the toys?

Were the toys found inside the duffle with the remains or nearby outside the duffle bag? If inside, is it crazy to wonder if someone put her in the duffle alive along w/some toys to play with, intending to let her back out once it was safe (or convenient). Maybe they wanted to move her without being seen. Or contain her in a car trunk in lieu of a babysitter (didn’t Casey Anthony di something similar?).

What else was found in the bag? A change of clothes, toothbrush and other items that suggest it was originally packed to be an overnight bag for a short trip, parent swap or sleepover w/friends? Did LE happen to mention the size of the duffel?

Did the paywall article mention anything other items found or add’l info about the girls clothing, cause of death, etc?

Thanks!

The first article you mention re: the duffle bag is behind a pay wall for me. Is that the article where being found with toys was also mentioned? I’ve seen toys mentioned in a few WS posts but not in any articles I was to able to access.

Did they give any additional info on the toys? i.e. specific kind of toys? Appropriate age of child that would play with them? The condition of the toys?

Were the toys found inside the duffle with the remains or nearby outside the duffle bag? If inside, is it crazy to wonder if someone put her in the duffle alive along w/some toys to play with, intending to let her back out once it was safe (or convenient). Maybe they wanted to move her without being seen. Or contain her in a car trunk in lieu of a babysitter (didn’t Casey Anthony di something similar?).

What else was found in the bag? A change of clothes, toothbrush and other items that suggest it was originally packed to be an overnight bag for a short trip, parent swap or sleepover w/friends? Did LE happen to mention the size of the duffel?

Did the paywall article mention anything other items found or add’l info about the girls clothing, cause of death, etc?

Thanks!

There is nothing in that article that mentions the toys, FYI, but I did find another article from January of this year linked through that one that mentions the following sections I've snipped:

“Right now, we have a wide net that we have cast. We can’t exclude Hispanic kids or Native American kids or white kids.”

Wood said investigators have not determined whether the girl’s remains were left at that location or left elsewhere along the river and then drifted to that spot. They don’t know where she died or whether she was submerged in the river at any point.

They are not releasing information related to the cause or manner of her death.

The child’s remains were found on state property, prompting a state police response.

The report triggered the activation of the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office’s search and rescue team, which spent two days scouring a half-mile area along the river for clues. They turned up nothing.

An informal web of footpaths fans out behind the rest area’s restrooms and leads to the river’s edge. The area is strewn with fallen tree trunks.

The child’s remains were in an area out of view of the parking lot and adjacent to a large pile of downed trees and branches that jut into the river.

The Salmon River is swollen now, but the river was lower on the day the girl’s remains were discovered, Wood said. On a visit to the location this week, the paths were muddy and the din from the rushing river drowned out the sound of Oregon 18 in the distance.

A few small items -- among them, an angel, a stuffed toy and some flowers -- appear to have been placed recently next to a signpost at the edge of the parking lot as a small memorial to the girl.

The highway is a major thoroughfare from the northern Willamette Valley to the Oregon coast. An estimated 8,000 vehicles pass by the rest stop each day, according to the Oregon Department of Transportation.

Mystery of girl’s remains generates 150 tips: ‘We are hoping there is somebody that misses this kid’

Editing to add pics of the items.

CJCKGDLBVJCQNM5BFHGV7IWFOQ.JPG

UPC3PVZMGNCELH4CO7BAO3LWVA.JPG

Brooke Roberts does not have dental records in NamUs, so we currently have no way to compare the two cases.

Van+Duzer+drawing.jpg

DNA aids in effort to identify child's remains found near Oregon rest area
rbbm.
Jul 1, 2021 by Jamie Parfitt
''GRAND RONDE, Ore. — Investigators are still working to identify a child whose body was discovered near a rest area in Lincoln County last year, and DNA evidence may hold the key for gathering enough identifying features to figure out who she was.

Oregon State Police launched an investigation on December 10 after recovering the girl's remains next to a rest area in the H.B. Van Duzer Forest State Scenic Corridor. Her body was inside of a duffle bag secreted within the woods.

Van+Duzer+corridor.jpg

''OSP said that the DNA extraction done by Parabon helped find some additional details about the girl, and the agency has decided to release the following new details in hopes that the public can help:
  • Eye color: Hazel / Brown
  • Hair color: Brown / Black
  • Skin color: Light Brown / Fair with no freckles
  • Race: She has been identified as mostly Caucasian with some Central American ancestry
  • She was wearing a pull-up diaper
Investigators have been working with the the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) since the discovery of the child’s remains. Over the past six months, OSP said, detectives have definitively ruled out more than 60 potentially missing kids between NCMEC and tips from the public.''

"While investigators continue to work in partnership with NCMEC, there is a strong likelihood this child has not been reported missing," OSP said in a statement. "Investigators would like the public to know, we are already considering all children listed on the NCMEC website and therefore, there is no need to contact the Oregon State Police to highlight those names."

This child would likely not have been seen since November 2020. Anyone with information that might help investigators in identifying her should call 800-442-0776 or *OSP (*677).''

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne
Back