GUILTY OR - Whitney Heichel, 21, Gresham, 16 Oct 2012 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding cell phones and pings. This is such a tough one. I completely understand everyone's desire to learn more about this subject. The problem is, what you learn by it being printed, sit is also then there for individuals who will not use it for such good intentions. The strengths and limitations to cell phone tracking and data/call retrieval is kept as quiet as possible to make it a useful tool for LE from the local to the Federal level.

"we're proceeding as if it were criminal, because that's the prudent thing to do"

He still isn't saying that there's anything to indicate that a crime has occurred, just that it's the proper thing to do to treat it as a crimial case.

Lol, always the voice of reason, Hi gwenabob :seeya:

I believe she is friends with Whitney on facebook, so the relationship is at least that personal.

Thank you, I wondered if they were also friends.

-going through thick brush behind the apts now

-kids were collecting wood to build a fort when found the phone

-was discovered off an unmarked trail used by teens and transients

From kgw news report

So, if it was found on an unmarked trail, then it sounds like it wasn't thrown from a vehicle????

Did they do a search of the area around the apt. complex the day she went missing??????? Like a real one?

Caring Citizen....Wow...you are what your moniker states...great work on the timeline

I do, however, have issue with the one part stating

They did not say that exactly, per this link http://greshamoregon.gov/news/newstemplate.aspx?id=281234 they state

Please note the "may have been". I have not yet seen a link or LE state emphatically that the vehicle WAS in both Larch Mtn. AND Dodge Park prior to the gas fill up at 9:14 am. IMO, I don't believe, timeline wise, that it could have been in both parks prior to the fill up. MOO

I didn't know it either until listening to the full press conference this morning. It was a bone of contention with the reporters, in fact. They thought it was new news too but LE said he had been saying it. We (you, me, the reporters in the room this morning) agree it is new news.

In any case, LE made a point of being clear about it. He said in no uncertain terms that she was in those two places PRIOR to the gas station. It was what drove me to think hard about what we know of the timeline and put it on paper. It startled me too.

That's why I put the caveat on that line about HOW do we know? Does LE have gps on the SUV (and so they mean the vehicle) or do they have pings on her cell there (and so they mean the phone), or do they have a visual sighting of her there (and so they mean her), or do they have pings from a perp's phone? LE did not say HOW they just said they KNOW she/thecar/thephone (not clear which) was in those two spots prior to the 9:14am gas stop.

IIRC, looking at the cell tower locations, I'm not sure how much coverage there is out in Larch Mtn. area. Locals, can you speak to this?

With that in mind, it could change how they "know" she was out there.

IIRC, looking at the cell tower locations, I'm not sure how much coverage there is out in Larch Mtn. area. Locals, can you speak to this?

With that in mind, it could change how they "know" she was out there.

Cell phone coverage is spotty in the area... Once you go down any of the forest roads it ceases to exist.

BBM

I've been following this case from the very beginning and feel that LE is keeping
everything they know and have found/discovered, very close to the chest.

I'm even thinking they know or have an idea who the perp may be... but can't disclose to the public yet.

It may be a case where they don't want the perp to know that they suspect him/her yet, because they
need to get all the evidence they can before accusing him or arresting him.

Or they may know for sure who it is, but don't know where he is right now.

Or they might want to find Whitney first?

JMO

Ahh, smart girl (or guy), whoever is running the What Happened to Whitney Heichel facebook page!! She/he just posted a picture with a closeup of red evidence marker tape that says "BLACK APRON". I think we were wondering way earlier in the thread if it had been confirmed that an apron was found. Looks like it was.

I'm getting an eerie feeling about the neighbor. It sounds like he/she may have been setting up an alibi. Like.."well my prints are obviously going to be in her car. I told you I helped her last night". If indeed someone helped her park, I'm sure she would have mentioned it to her husband..whether she want feeling well, or otherwise.

i was glad that the pio said in the presser that if anyone thinks that they may have found something of interest to call the police and not to touch the item/s.... i dont think they were at all thrilled with the little kids who found the phone...they are kids & im sure they dont understand....but i can just see the investigators being really aggravated that such a great find was contaminated ....

I've only followed one other case here - local Kyron Horman. And I remember this happening then too where key videos would not get uploaded to youtube for posterity and news websites would change the videos out without keeping distinct urls!

I just checked and luckily you CAN still find it there.

Underneath their current video you see gray area - slide over a couple more videos until you see one that is just over 24 minutes long. It is hidden from view unless you slide over to it. That 24 minute video is the press conference from yesterday that I referred to in the TIMELINE post.

Thank you for noticing the video swap outs at that news site! One of the worse things any site can do on the web is fail to preserve links to material that people are linking to. Terrible design and architecture - not thinking clearly.

Found it, thanks! I had to use Chrome... Firefox flashblocker wouldn't let me slide. I wish they would leave the links intact, especially for matters like this.

Ahh, smart girl (or guy), whoever is running the What Happened to Whitney Heichel facebook page!! She/he just posted a picture with a closeup of red evidence tape marker that says "BLACK APRON". I think we were wondering way earlier in the thread if that had been confirmed, that an apron was found. Looks like it was.

This was in a newsreel from one of the local news' website yesterday. Try searching this thread and priors for apron and you will find where it was linked yesterday. I saw the video myself (red evidence tape with Black Apron on it) but it hasn't really been written up by MSM (like a lot of video footage) or discussed much here. But trust me, <modsnip>.

Ahh, smart girl (or guy), whoever is running the What Happened to Whitney Heichel facebook page!! She/he just posted a picture with a closeup of red evidence tape marker that says "BLACK APRON". I think we were wondering way earlier in the thread if that had been confirmed, that an apron was found. Looks like it was.

thats prolly not a good idea....

i was glad that the pio said in the presser that if anyone thinks that they may have found something of interest to call the police and not to touch the item/s.... i dont think they were at all thrilled with the little kids who found the phone...they are kids & im sure they dont understand....but i can just see the investigators being really aggravated that such a great find was contaminated ....

Yeah, well, had they released info on items they were looking for like the phone and publicized not to touch they might have had a prayer of it not being picked up. This is one of the problems with keeping everything under lock and key.

Yeah, well, had they released info on items they were looking for like the phone and publicized not to touch they might have had a prayer of it not being picked up. This is one of the problems with keeping everything under lock and key.

my dad is a retired le detective and all i can see in my mind is my dad cursing...lol

When my phone shuts down from a dead battery I'm still able to power up the phone again before recharging it. You might only get a few minutes of time before the phone goes dead again but it will usually turn back on. This might be a built in feature for emergency's or because the phone battery rejuvenates a little when the phone is turned off which give the phone enough power to turn back on.

The phone could have been dead when the kids found it and powered up again long enough for the kids to see Whitney's picture and a few text, long enough for them to realize who's phone it was before shutting back down and being turned over to the parent..

JMO

JMO

I charge my phone overnight, as do many people. I believe she probably left the house with a full battery...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKBB