Oscar Pistorius Defense

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've not been keeping up with this trial or Arias....what is the latest? Anyone know?

Ummmm...its a long story. If you go back to the thread that ended the last week of May, you will find detail about Oscar's judge agreeing to Prosecution's request to have a 30 day psych eval done on OP. This came out of testimony by a psychologist defense witness that she diagnosed OP with General Anxiety Disorder.

It appears that Prosecution wants to nip in the bud any chance for OP to appeal a conviction on the basis of a mental problem.

Anyone else, please correct me or add to if needed. TIA

Ummmm...its a long story. If you go back to the thread that ended the last week of May, you will find detail about Oscar's judge agreeing to Prosecution's request to have a 30 day psych eval done on OP. This came out of testimony by a psychologist defense witness that she diagnosed OP with General Anxiety Disorder.

It appears that Prosecution wants to nip in the bud any chance for OP to appeal a conviction on the basis of a mental problem.

Anyone else, please correct me or add to if needed. TIA

I remember that, but I thought the evaluation would be done by now....hmmm.

That article, like several others, refers to Nel's 'brutal questioning'.

I've done a lot of thinking about that, and although I believe Nel is tough, I do think that half the difficulties OP had on the stand were his own fault. He wouldn't give a straight answer to many questions and tried to argue with the prosecution instead.

I am sure Roux must have warned him beforehand not to do that. It's positively the worst thing a witness can do with a good prosecutor, and I think it was very telling.

I think OP's ongoing attempts to fit his testimony to the evidence as he understands it must have frustrated the defense quite a bit.

You have become a great resource to me during this case-maybe one of you is willing to refresh me?

Early on in OP's testimony, I was certain a I read a tweet that indicated OP said he knelt down in the hallway outside of the bathroom door. To me it was a eureka moment given that he had claimed he was on his stumps-is anyone familiar enough with either OP or amputation to understand whether someone refers to themselves as kneeling when not using their prosthetics?

Of course, I could be mistaken-most of what I focused on during the coverage of the trial was the tweets. TIA :blowkiss:

You have become a great resource to me during this case-maybe one of you is willing to refresh me?

Early on in OP's testimony, I was certain a I read a tweet that indicated OP said he knelt down in the hallway outside of the bathroom door. To me it was a eureka moment given that he had claimed he was on his stumps-is anyone familiar enough with either OP or amputation to understand whether someone refers to themselves as kneeling when not using their prosthetics?

Of course, I could be mistaken-most of what I focused on during the coverage of the trial was the tweets. TIA :blowkiss:

That's a good question. Over an - admittedly short - but wide ranging search, I'm finding lots of references to standing on stumps, but none to kneeling.

Kneeling only seems to be used when the subject is talking about being on stumps. Such as in this example.

https://www.facebook.com/AmputeeUSA/posts/148595648647264

Bolding by me. I've been reading up on a few studies from Weskoppies and this tiny bit in a rather long article jumped out at me.

'Three of the cases in our study had psychotic disorders and felt threatened, regardless of whether these threats were actual or delusional in nature.'

I'm not sure if I'm understanding properly, but are they saying they found that feeling threatened was taken as one indicator of a psychotic disorder, regardless of if the threat was real or not? They only had three subjects diagnosed as psychotics in the study, and they all exhibited that feeling. It could be interesting for any potential diagnosis of OP if so.

I may be completely misreading that though.

http://www.sajp.org.za/index.php/sajp/article/view/384/368

Article here from a writer who admits to a 'certain bias' because they once interviewed Oscar Pistorius on the phone and found him to be 'polite, articulate and friendly'.

But writer also reveals - perhaps tellingly - they haven't been following the trial.

http://crossmap.christianpost.com/n...rials-in-south-african-judicial-history-10814

Article here from a writer who admits to a 'certain bias' because they once interviewed Oscar Pistorius on the phone and found him to be 'polite, articulate and friendly'.

But writer also reveals - perhaps tellingly - they haven't been following the trial.

http://crossmap.christianpost.com/n...rials-in-south-african-judicial-history-10814

“... I have not seen much of the live TV coverage of the trial. However I must admit to a certain bias in that I once conducted a telephone interview with Oscar and found him to be most polite, articulate, and friendly. ... I actually believe Oscar is telling the truth and has given a substantially true version of what took place. ... Oscar has now been sent for a psychiatric evaluation which I believe will reveal that he did suffer from an extreme anxiety disorder ... There is no doubt that he was concerned about safety and security to a high level. It is clear that he had tremendous concerns and was even paranoid about his personal safety ... Is there sufficient evidence to prove "beyond reasonable doubt" that Oscar is a murderer? I don't think so. Most of the evidence presented so far is pure conjecture. ... I believe that Oscar is telling the truth ... And, he said, "God is the most important thing in the world to me. ... This may prove to be a giant ploy of the Evil One to destroy the testimony and witness of one of God's chosen. So let us pray rather than spread malicious gossip and unhelpful rumors and theories. ...”

Golly gosh, where would you even start!!! :floorlaugh::floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

“... I have not seen much of the live TV coverage of the trial. However I must admit to a certain bias in that I once conducted a telephone interview with Oscar and found him to be most polite, articulate, and friendly. ... I actually believe Oscar is telling the truth and has given a substantially true version of what took place. ... Oscar has now been sent for a psychiatric evaluation which I believe will reveal that he did suffer from an extreme anxiety disorder ... There is no doubt that he was concerned about safety and security to a high level. It is clear that he had tremendous concerns and was even paranoid about his personal safety ... Is there sufficient evidence to prove "beyond reasonable doubt" that Oscar is a murderer? I don't think so. Most of the evidence presented so far is pure conjecture. ... I believe that Oscar is telling the truth ... And, he said, "God is the most important thing in the world to me. ... This may prove to be a giant ploy of the Evil One to destroy the testimony and witness of one of God's chosen. So let us pray rather than spread malicious gossip and unhelpful rumors and theories. ...”

Golly gosh, where would you even start!!! :floorlaugh::floorlaugh::floorlaugh:
Well I'm going to start by ignoring that and concentrating on the World Cup! Selfish of me but I'm glad Pistorius' psych evaluation means he's off the front pages and out of sight, out of mind at the moment. One thing that I will say re that article though is how can someone admit to watching very little of the trial and then go on to say they believe him? For most people it's the opposite - they've watched the trial and come to the conclusion OP is a lying murderer, which seems a much more logical, not to mention an evidence based, approach.

Look forward to 'seeing' you all in a few weeks!

Anyone else just catch Nancy Grace on The View discussing the case? She said the defense requested the psych eval because he wants to plead insanity. Good grief. :doh:

I agree with the killer that he is insane. No rational person would do what he did.

Lock him up with the crimaly insane and through away the key . Boom

I agree with the killer that he is insane. No rational person would do what he did.

Lock him up with the crimaly insane and through away the key . Boom

Boom indeed. But then, he won't be insane. See? OP chooses to play cards as they suit him.

Olympics: I am NOT disabled, let me run with flesh legged people!
Trial: I AM disabled and noises scare me!

Psychiatrist: I AM suffering fro PTSD, Anxiety and godknowswhat
Criminally insane sentence: WTH! I am NOT insane! I ran in the Olympics for gods sake!

I haven't been posting on Oscar for awhile...had a heck of a time finding this thread ...
Marking my spot:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This article left me gobsmacked. Only a very unintelligent/overly religious person would make such comments. How on earth can one come to a conclusion without having listened carefully to both sides of the story and followed the trial.

Many of us, at the beginning, thought this could have been an accident but as the evidence was unveiled there seems little doubt it could have been anything but murder. To not even watch the trial smacks of an "ostrich" mentality.

Sorry, in such a rush. There are leading legal experts on show, very thoughtful and they are playing some crucial clips of pros cross from the trial.

One part time judge saying she would not have allowed Nel's assertions to OP that 'I know you did this'.

Other legal expert agrees.

Must check who they are!

'Short, concise questions that are relevant....you must test temp of courtroom in sensitive cases...'

'They need to have confidence in your advocacy'

Now interviewer's slipped up cos going on about calling a witness a liar, and asking if that really happens. None of them seem to be aware that that is not acceptable in SA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKBB