Oscar Pistorius - Discussion Thread #67 *Appeal Verdict*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pistorius no longer under correctional supervision

Bloemfontein, 3 December 2015 - Defence Lawyer Ulrich Roux says Oscar Pistorius is essentially a free man. That's until the state makes its next move. (Video 6mins)

https://www.enca.com/media/video/pistorius-no-longer-under-correctional-supervision

If he's not under house arrest at this time, there is no legal reason that he can't follow up on his dream to teach young children in Mozambique. Why put something off to tomorrow when you don't know what tomorrow will bring. Perhaps today would be a good day to just make that trip to Mozambique and start on his dream :)

Speaking of the Justice Minister - I saw him on the news saying that he'd had his own thoughts when the original sentence was handed down, but now he is glad that justice has finally been done.

Really, really hard to see how Pistorius will get any appeal off the ground with so many high profile legal people saying that this was the right result.

Roux will no doubt be advising the (Addams) family that an appeal will probably be fruitless and a waste of their money. Will they listen? Have they ever?

Perhaps they shouldn't have removed evidence from the crime scene then. Or did you miss that?

Seemed like a non-issue to the PT who didn't make a big deal out of it but instead asked Roux about it who in turn gave it to the PT.

If he's not under house arrest at this time, there is no legal reason that he can't follow up on his dream to teach young children in Mozambique. Why put something off to tomorrow when you don't know what tomorrow will bring. Perhaps today would be a good day to just make that trip to Mozambique and start on his dream :)

Nice.

Not content with insulting Reeva and her family, you now want her murderer to evade justice.

This is a victim friendly forum. See ya.

Seemed like a non-issue to the PT who didn't make a big deal out of it but instead asked Roux about it who in turn gave it to the PT.

I thought it was some sort of quid pro quo agreement in early negotiations to drop the tablet/phone issue.

I must say I am a bit suspicious of how many people on the interwebz are suddenly finding Justice Leach's decision to be correct, when they were until recently championing Masipa's DE / PPD findings

BIB

Seems a bit harsh.

Mistakes happen in all facets of life, we're all human. To expect perfection from Masipa is NOT be a reasonably expectation. It's why there are appellant courts that can go through all the evidence again and make a new ruling.

Masipa has been on the bench for 30 years I believe. If she was so incompetent, she would have been fired a long time ago,

I'm really glad that the the SCA took the time in their very last paragraph of their verdict, the one everyone remembers, to acknowledge the service of Masipa. That was real professionalism.

BIB - Not necessarily! There are many many incompetent people in all areas of power in South Africa. This is due to a very high level of corruption, and it is getting worse every day. Even President Jacob Zuma is at the centre of one of the biggest corruption scandals in democratic South Africa, after reports that millions of rand of taxpayers' money were spent on a swimming pool and other facilities at his private home.

It's hard to take this seriously.

This issue was dealt with in chambers - not in public.

I thought it was some sort of quid pro quo agreement in early negotiations to drop the tablet/phone issue.

What can the prosecution really do?

The evidence was destroyed - but not by the accused.

There is no way to bring that into the trial

As far as SAPs go - i don't get it at all.

Back home, destroying key crime scene evidence from a murder trial would be considered outrageous!

Very very pleased with this news. This should have been the verdict in the first place.

BIB

Seems a bit harsh.

Mistakes happen in all facets of life, we're all human. To expect perfection from Masipa is NOT be a reasonably expectation. It's why there are appellant courts that can go through all the evidence again and make a new ruling.

Masipa has been on the bench for 30 years I believe. If she was so incompetent, she would have been fired a long time ago,

I'm really glad that the the SCA took the time in their very last paragraph of their verdict, the one everyone remembers, to acknowledge the service of Masipa. That was real professionalism.
As far as Masipa is concerned, the issues she was all muddled over seem not to have been overly complicated issues. When something as straightforward as not realising that identity was irrelevant in establishing DE, it's quite serious IMO, especially as an innocent family whose loved one was murdered by that were left hanging for a year. I know you harbour extremely negative feelings towards Reeva (as evidenced by one of your posts...) but you shouldn't allow that to cloud your judgement. If she were in the dock being accused of murdering OP, would you still be defending the judge? Would you be making cruel and disparaging remarks about OP as you did Reeva?

ETA - the last paragraph of the ruling is the one you think everyone remembers??? I think what everyone remembers is that a slimy little has-been finally got labelled correctly - murderer.

Just heard on TV (3sat):

"Mord mit verminderter Tötungsabsicht"

"Murder with reduced intent to kill" - supposedly the renewed judgment.

What is that? A thing of translation?

.....their now saying the same thing on the tely here in France, not enough proof of intent.....

Nice.

Not content with insulting Reeva and her family, you now want her murderer to evade justice.

This is a victim friendly forum. See ya.
Isn't it great when a poster on a victim friendly forum suggests a murderer tries to get away with it instead of doing their time? Says it all really.

Seems a bit harsh.

Masipa has been on the bench for 30 years I believe.
If she was so incompetent, she would have been fired a long time ago,

30 years on the bench, are you sure? I thought it was a lot less than that.

Why knock his family, they never wanted to be in this spotlight, they were thrust into it.
There have been some provocative and arrogant statements made by several members of the Pistorius family, particularly on social media.

I also happen to think that Leach suspected OP deliberately killed Reeva.

I think Leach has a bit more than suspicions!

I think he is pretty convinced!

The Supreme Court is not deaf to the wider context, even if they can't directly hear it.

What can the prosecution really do?

The evidence was destroyed - but not by the accused.

There is no way to bring that into the trial

As far as SAPs go - i don't get it at all.

Back home, destroying key crime scene evidence from a murder trial would be considered outrageous!

Here too!

I think Leach has a bit more than suspicions!

I think he is pretty convinced!

The Supreme Court is not deaf to the wider context, even if they can't directly hear it.

....suspicions are one thing proof is another......he may well of shot recklessly without having the intention to kill, for the moment there's no proof one way or the other....unless of course Pistorius cracks and tells the truth, which is what i'm hoping for.....

30 years on the bench, are you sure? I thought it was a lot less than that.

Correct

In 1998, she was appointed as a judge in the Transvaal Provincial Division (as it was then known) of the High Court of South Africa, becoming the second black woman to be appointed as a judge in the High Court after Lucy Mailula, who was appointed to the Transvaal Provincial Division of the Supreme Court (as it was then known) in 1995

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thokozile_Masipa

so 17?

....suspicions are one thing proof is another......he may well of shot recklessly without having the intention to kill, for the moment there's no proof one way or the other....unless of course Pistorius cracks and tells the truth, which is what i'm hoping for.....

But that's the same for every single court case ever! Judges and juries have to infer information from the evidence. They weren't there, so they don't know for sure.

I think we're all in danger of not seeing the wood for the trees with all this talk of directus and eventualis.

He was charged with murder. He has been convicted of murder. Job done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member