Oscar Pistorius - Sentencing - 6.13.2016 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
When Oscar was on his stumps in court. Why didn't Nel ask for him to show us how he maneuvered on the stumps in the dark while grabbing his gun and proceeding to the bathroom to bang on the door.

Nel may be a good lawyer. But he sometimes makes me wonder. Jmo

I kind of appreciated the way Nel handled that pathetic display by the defense. Neil averted his eyes politely and pretty much ignored it. I think he took the high road.

I understand what you are saying but if Nel had been combative, when an obviously disabled man was hobbling about, it might have backfired.

I think many of us would agree. Sometimes, during the trial, he appeared confused, imo. For this sentencing, however, I think he had all of his ducks in a row (as in rehearsed). I don't know, however, if he was aware that Oscar was going to give this demo.....therefore, he was completely caught off guard and perhaps, blindsided. I know I was. lol

Agree. Oscar was like Rambo on that night. But in court; He tried to seem like Mrs. Butterworth.

Jmo.

But let me guess. Masipa thought he was being genuine while needing help around the court without a gun in his hand.

When Oscar was on his stumps in court. Why didn't Nel ask for him to show us how he maneuvered on the stumps in the dark while grabbing his gun and proceeding to the bathroom to bang on the door.

Nel may be a good lawyer. But he sometimes makes me wonder. Jmo

But Oscar wasn't on the stand.

I kind of appreciated the way Nel handled that pathetic display by the defense. Neil averted his eyes politely and pretty much ignored it. I think he took the high road.

I understand what you are saying but if Nel had been combative, when an obviously disabled man was hobbling about, it might have backfired.

Agree my dear Katydid23.

But I guess I was waiting for that Jonnie Cochrane moment or some Perry Mason moment.

Like. Hold up. Thanks for the demostration. But now I just have 1 question.

Lol. But anyways you are right. Masipa would have definitely acted like Nel was badgering the witness.

Agree my friend.

But Oscar wasn't on the stand.

Lol. I know. Lol.

Nel could have still asked for his own demonstration of things while Oscar decided to do the walk.

A self demostration is the same thing as being on the stand. Jmo. Because a rebutt could be called in.

But still. Lol to your original post.

I noticed that. He chose the right visual reaction. I can only imagine what was going Nel's mind. Nobody could predict this from the defense - which, I think, with no doubt, was a ploy addressed to Masipa.

I noticed that. He chose the right visual reaction. I can only imagine what was going Nel's mind. Nobody could predict this from the defense - which, I think, with no doubt, was a ploy addressed to Masipa.

Jilly. Do you remember the fake demonstration with the bed that they did in court while him not being on his stumps.

That was the fakest demonstration ever. But Masipa brought into it.

Now Nel had the chance to ask Masipa to show us a semi Demostration while on his stumps at the Time.

And Nel didn't.

Nel even said that he would be okay with 8 years and not 18 years.

So. Nel is okay. But. Idk.

Jilly. Do you remember the fake demonstration with the bed that they did in court while him not being on his stumps.

That was the fakest demonstration ever. But Masipa brought into it.

Now Nel had the chance to ask Masipa to show us a semi Demostration while on his stumps at the Time.

And Nel didn't.

Nel even said that he would be okay with 8 years and not 18 years.

So. Nel is okay. But. Idk.

Yes, I do remember. Like us, Nel's got her #. I didn't know, however, that Nel said he'd be ok with 8 yrs. My guess is that he's (with good reason) predicting that she'd go for less. Sowing a seed. I had only read what had been said by someone else on behalf of the pros.

I don't think Masipa wants to be appealed again. Right now, I can only think that Nel has forewarned her with this olive branch.

Yes, I do remember. Like us, Nel's got her #. I didn't know, however, that Nel said he'd be ok with 8 yrs. My guess is that he's (with good reason) predicting that she'd go for less. Sowing a seed. I had only read what had been said by someone else on behalf of the pros.

I don't think Masipa wants to be appealed again. Right now, I can only think that Nel has forewarned her with this olive branch.

I don't know if nel mentioned the 8 year appeal. Or if the higher courts mentioned it.

But since Nel never talked against it. Then I think that Nel either stated or was in agreement with not appealing anything over 8 years.

But that's only my opinion since I didn't actually see Nel QUOTE this himself.

But it was mentioned somewhere that the state will appeal if Oscar is given anything under 8 years.

Love you Jilly.

I don't know if nel mentioned the 8 year appeal. Or if the higher courts mentioned it.

But since Nel never talked against it. Then I think that Nel either stated or was in agreement with not appealing anything over 8 years.

But that's only my opinion since I didn't actually see Nel QUOTE this himself.

But it was mentioned somewhere that the state will appeal if Oscar is given anything under 8 years.

Love you Jilly.

Well then!!! :loveyou:

Masipa said last time around, that she was not totally convinced about his vulnerability , as he had "excellent coping skills" didn't she so the walk by OP was there for that purpose.

But as Lithgow said upthread, if she remembers/reviews her findings of fact in Trial 1, she can see all the actions he had to niftily & speedily perform on his stumps.

I don't have her judgment in front of me, I know she did say he was vuln to some extent.

If it's an issue of disability. Is his disability to potentially mitigate against the shooting or the against his future tolerance of prison. ( Can't be the latter as Kgosi period proved that it was suitable for him as a disabled offender.) So we are back to where we were, a disabled man with a super powerful loaded gun is not actually vulnerable etc etc, he was nifty, confrontational, disregarded other means of SOS - and that's just on his BS version. )

BBM- I guess we now know why they didn't want video of him doing the door demonstration during the trial... though perhaps Nel should have reminded JM of how well OP did during that demonstration as well as OP's assertion of having been able to do all that running back and forth to the bathroom sans prosthetics.

About half way down the page, just after the pic of the Valentine gift RS gave him.
https://juror13lw.com/2014/04/07/oscar-trial-day-17-oscar/

A bit snipped :)

Weren't there threats of rape made before he went to jail the first time? I'm sure there were. Yet, nothing happened. They were just empty threats, as I'm sure are these. The convicted murderer was perfectly safe for a year and alert enough to fill up the complaints book on an hourly basis (omitting the rape and suicide of course) so clearly nothing happened to him in that respect. Ergo, back to jail matey!!

Guess they are not worried about kidnapping, rape, or other bodily harm while he is free to go shopping and walking the dog on mansion arrest.

here's the link to JGreenland's radio interview where he is asked - what sentence would he give, if he could.

702 ‏@Radio702 10h10 hours ago
[LISTEN] @GushwellBrooks talking to retired High court judge, Chris GreenLand, about the OP case

https://twitter.com/Radio702?lang=en-gb

around 21mins into prog.

Just "blue sky thinking" from JG. Naturally he realises that this sentence isn't going to happen

15 yrs house arrest - chance of rehab, not brutalised, not an expense to taxpayer
15 ys Cmm service -Reeva specific activities ,

why ? JG says 3 objectives satisfied - needs of accused, and offence, society ( Triad of Zinn )

Hate to say , he also gets a few things wrong around the case details too. But still interesting. Still, enjoy listening to his ideas.

eg. Why has this case dragged on so long ( Something OP's supporters continually cite as torture for OP etc) . JG simply states the obvious - it's because of the Defence's/clients resources. )

The thing is, I am pretty sure the home detention regime is only available for less serious cases where the sentence was 5 years or less

That is why Masipa sentenced OP to 5 yrs for CH - it was the max she could give him while qualifying for the possibility of early release into home detention (as compared to parole).

On a murder rap, this special regime is not available.

The policy of the home detention idea was to reduce over crowding issues, so that people on short sentences might do a short time in prison, then do the rest at home under strict conditions.

The idea is not to get 15 years home detention or to have serious offenders detained at home.

....i wonder if Nelson Mandela had this amount of "justice".....

.... plus he didn't have deep pockets Colin,

Mr Jitty - yes, I get the impression it's just his opinion but "blue sky thinking", not related to the actual sentencing acts.

He's big into penal reform so he is promoting his general views on social justice . I can't imagine any posters think it will happen. I have no idea why Roux even suggested wholly house arrest, poker game gambit.

She's a well-known Pistorian - nothing new there.

And left her husband and family in the UK to travel to SA to give support to the murderer. Says a lot, doesn't it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member