Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ws thread.
Thank you!

Hey @othram! I just listened to the podcast The Coldest Case In Laramie, and found it engrossing. I don't want to spoil the podcast, but I wondered if you'd been consulted at all on the evidence in the murder of Shelli Wiley?

Also, I apologize if this has been asked before!

Just read this opinion piece by NYC Queens County District Attorney Melinda Katz where she mentions @othram & the George Seitz case.

Didn't realize it represented the first successful prosecution using forensic genetic genealogy in NYC!

Opinion: Queens district attorney’s Cold Case Unit solves backlog of cases, brings closure for families — Queens Daily Eagle

"I am pleased to report that the Cold Case Unit has already achieved notable results.

Last year, advancements in modern technology and forensics allowed us and the NYPD to solve and successfully prosecute a 45-year-old homicide case using forensic genetic genealogy. Martin Motta was arrested for the 1976 murder of an 81-year-old World War I veteran, George Clarence Seitz. Motta killed, dismembered and then buried Seitz’s remains under a concrete slab in a Queens backyard. His remains were unearthed in 2019 based on a tip from a witness.

A DNA profile that was developed could not identify the deceased man in any local, state or national databases. My office then sought the assistance of the FBI and Othram, a private forensic laboratory in Texas, to generate leads as to the unknown victim’s identity. Othram produced a comprehensive genealogical profile from the skeletal remains using advanced DNA testing. That profile was given to the FBI, which then developed leads that were turned over to my office and the NYPD.

Those leads enabled us to identify the victim and his identity, in turn, allowed us to find additional witnesses. This was the first successful prosecution of a case using forensic genetic genealogy in New York City. The case we built was so solid that Motta ultimately pled guilty in exchange for a 20-year prison sentence."

GUILTY - NY - Queens, WhtMale 50-90, UP57120, buried since 1970s, found Mar'19 - George Seitz *Arrest in 2021

Just read this opinion piece by NYC Queens County District Attorney Melinda Katz where she mentions @othram & the George Seitz case.

Didn't realize it represented the first successful prosecution using forensic genetic genealogy in NYC!

Opinion: Queens district attorney’s Cold Case Unit solves backlog of cases, brings closure for families — Queens Daily Eagle

"I am pleased to report that the Cold Case Unit has already achieved notable results.

Last year, advancements in modern technology and forensics allowed us and the NYPD to solve and successfully prosecute a 45-year-old homicide case using forensic genetic genealogy. Martin Motta was arrested for the 1976 murder of an 81-year-old World War I veteran, George Clarence Seitz. Motta killed, dismembered and then buried Seitz’s remains under a concrete slab in a Queens backyard. His remains were unearthed in 2019 based on a tip from a witness.

A DNA profile that was developed could not identify the deceased man in any local, state or national databases. My office then sought the assistance of the FBI and Othram, a private forensic laboratory in Texas, to generate leads as to the unknown victim’s identity. Othram produced a comprehensive genealogical profile from the skeletal remains using advanced DNA testing. That profile was given to the FBI, which then developed leads that were turned over to my office and the NYPD.

Those leads enabled us to identify the victim and his identity, in turn, allowed us to find additional witnesses. This was the first successful prosecution of a case using forensic genetic genealogy in New York City. The case we built was so solid that Motta ultimately pled guilty in exchange for a 20-year prison sentence."

GUILTY - NY - Queens, WhtMale 50-90, UP57120, buried since 1970s, found Mar'19 - George Seitz *Arrest in 2021

Othram technology has assisted in many cases there: DNASolves® New York Map

Thanks to everyone that follows along with our cases and adventures. We will always post updates in this Websleuths threads but if you want to find more ways to connect:

1. We have a fun Facebook Group: DNASolves Advocates | Facebook.
2. You can sign up for weekly email updates: Latest Cases.
3. You can visit our store for cool swag. Net proceeds fund DNASolves cases: Othram Store.

Very good, Othram! Another one down!

Why is the suspected killer not named? I can't find anything on him.

Thrilled to share that Othram assisted the Bibb County Sheriff’s Office and Georgia Criminal Justice Coordinating Council in identifying 19-year-old Yvonne Pless, who was murdered by Samuel Little in 1977.

Is there a Websleuths thread?

Thrilled to share that Othram assisted the Bibb County Sheriff’s Office and Georgia Criminal Justice Coordinating Council in identifying 19-year-old Yvonne Pless, who was murdered by Samuel Little in 1977.

I don't see one. I did find this yearbook photo of her from 1972, though.1684426474787.png

None under UP2126 that I can find. I don't know if there's a general thread for Little's victims somewhere that she might be part of; I haven't really familiarised myself with the serial killer areas of WS yet.

Sleep well, Yvonne.

None under UP2126 that I can find. I don't know if there's a general thread for Little's victims somewhere that she might be part of; I haven't really familiarised myself with the serial killer areas of WS yet.

Sleep well, Yvonne.

Here’s the thread for Little and his victims.

Here’s the thread for Little and his victims.

And @dotr found it, but here’s the thread for her as unidentified.

And @dotr found it, but here’s the thread for her as unidentified.

Oh great! Thanks for sharing this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member