Othram - General Discussion

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Othram......your doing a phenomenal job at assisting in giving names back!!
Question..is there truth to talk that unsolved cases, for whatever reason, involving minors, cannot be "candidates" for DNA funding?
For example, Walker County Jane Doe of Nov 1980.
Proof is in the pudding..cold cases are bring solved because of DNA..2021 has proved it!!

Othram......your doing a phenomenal job at assisting in giving names back!!
Question..is there truth to talk that unsolved cases, for whatever reason, involving minors, cannot be "candidates" for DNA funding?
For example, Walker County Jane Doe of Nov 1980.
Proof is in the pudding..cold cases are bring solved because of DNA..2021 has proved it!!

For Othram, no, that's not true. The DNA Doe project do not take on cases of minors (except when it's clear they were likely killed by a stranger ie hitchhikers) because they are dedicated to only finding identities. In the cases of babies, toddlers and other young children, finding their identity would also give a likely suspect - their parents. Othram, Parabon and other labs do not have the same policies and will take on Does of all ages.

We need efficient and cost-effective ways to match families of missing persons to the unidentified. There are too many unidentified persons in the United States and we should be doing more to help connect them back to family. Time is not on our side as family will not be around forever. Read about our new initiative, which launches tomorrow.

Silent Mass Disaster No More

We need efficient and cost-effective ways to match families of missing persons to the unidentified. There are too many unidentified persons in the United States and we should be doing more to help connect them back to family. Time is not on our side as family will not be around forever. Read about our new initiative, which launches tomorrow.

You're amazing!

Posted on Beth Doe/Evelyn Colon fb page (where I'm co-admin) and my PA Missing fb page.

This article brought tears to my eyes. There are too many unidentified, time isn’t on anyone’s side, and everyone could do more. Othram is such a blessing!! THANK YOU.

Othram, there are some very specific target populations that could use your affordable DNA Solves testing kit. In Edmonton, Canada, police have allowed sex trade workers to submit their DNA for potential future events.

Edmonton killer preying on prostitutes

We have a large number of MMIW -- Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women -- in Canada. I'm pretty sure your country has the same problem.

If these test kits could reach those populations at greatest risk for going missing, and their families, I think this program has great potential to do a lot of good. I think that working with police departments to provide and submit these kits would be sensible. It costs a lot to investigate a missing person, murder or unidentified deceased person case. By reaching targeted populations with these kits, paid for by police departments, there could be significant cost savings. I am sure there are roadblocks, but it is an idea for a pilot project at least with police in areas particularly burdened with these unsolved cases.

(ETA: I don't know how many families of MMIW have submitted DNA to our national DNA registry for missing persons, but most of the stories coming out do not seem to involve this population. I think this is where we have much room for improvement, and your kits could help.)

Last edited:
Could your program link into Canada's national missing persons DNA registry? Families have been linked with unidentified missing persons by submitting their DNA. How could your system enhance the existing one?

National Missing Persons DNA Program | Royal Canadian Mounted Police

A Family’s Guide to the National Missing Persons DNA Program | Royal Canadian Mounted Police

How a grieving mother helped create a DNA database to identify Canada's missing - Macleans.ca

Thank you!

Yes we are talking in Canada with agencies to see how we can better help!

Othram, there are some very specific target populations that could use your affordable DNA Solves testing kit. In Edmonton, Canada, police have allowed sex trade workers to submit their DNA for potential future events.

Edmonton killer preying on prostitutes

We have a large number of MMIW -- Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women -- in Canada. I'm pretty sure your country has the same problem.

If these test kits could reach those populations at greatest risk for going missing, and their families, I think this program has great potential to do a lot of good. I think that working with police departments to provide and submit these kits would be sensible. It costs a lot to investigate a missing person, murder or unidentified deceased person case. By reaching targeted populations with these kits, paid for by police departments, there could be significant cost savings. I am sure there are roadblocks, but it is an idea for a pilot project at least with police in areas particularly burdened with these unsolved cases.

(ETA: I don't know how many families of MMIW have submitted DNA to our national DNA registry for missing persons, but most of the stories coming out do not seem to involve this population. I think this is where we have much room for improvement, and your kits could help.)
These are all great ideas, thank you sharing this.

These are all great ideas, thank you sharing this.

There are also homeless encampments, and populations of drug users who fall prey to predators, or die without being identified. Also thinking of the men on Toronto's gay village, who knew for years that men were going missing. Wherever a stigma of some kind is attached, people can be reluctant to report a missing person. This is why some remain unidentified for years, or indefinitely. Outreach by police, social services agencies and health care providers is needed. DNA kits can be the start of improved communication on other issues: taking the judgment out and putting humanity in its place.

For Othram, no, that's not true. The DNA Doe project do not take on cases of minors (except when it's clear they were likely killed by a stranger ie hitchhikers) because they are dedicated to only finding identities. In the cases of babies, toddlers and other young children, finding their identity would also give a likely suspect - their parents. Othram, Parabon and other labs do not have the same policies and will take on Does of all ages.

You basically said it but the distinction is DNA Doe Project will take cases of minors (young Does under the age of 18), they just won't take cases of children specifically. A 16 year old teen can run away from home. An 8 year old kid or younger was more than likely killed by parents because they aren't capable of really running away or hitchhiking, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member