Overhaul of Social Services? Stop these tragedies before they happen???

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Virginia's social services were well acquainted with little Aevion Lewis before his murder

http://www.roanoke.com/news/breaking/wb/233984

Info released by CPS

Why are they able to release only limited information ?
He's dead. Why can't they tell the whole truth ?

I think our stances are a little different, as I want the laws followed when it comes to investigations and I don't think kids should be removed unless they're at risk of serious physical harm. I'm not saying that any physical harm is ok, but spanking is legal and it works with some kids.

I think our stances are similar when it comes to realizing that those in charge don't have enough common sense to know when a child is at risk.
I remember saying something really bad to my mom when I was 14 or 15, and I remember that slap in the face. Looking back, I know I deserved it.Today, I likely would have been put in protective custody while they left a child who was beaten and starved with his abusers.
I don't think the system can be fixed. They need to start all over.

Weber and Burt both contacted FOX 26 Investigates after CPS took custody of their little boys.

Both mothers say doctors have diagnosed their sons with a rare disorder called Mitochondrial disease.

Studies show symptoms of that disease can lead some doctors to falsely accuse mothers of Munchhausen By Proxy, a condition in which parents seek attention by harming their children.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news/investigates/100301-cps-accuses-2-moms

The death of Chad Munoz, a 20-day-old infant who suffered fatal head injuries and died Feb. 1, 2008, was cited by the senators as one of more than 30 children who have died during the past three years while under some level of supervision by state child
protective services.

"It has become painfully obvious that DHS lacks the wherewithal to understand what policies or actions brought about these tragedies and what needs to be done to fix them," wrote Sen. Josh Penry, R-Grand Junction and Sen. Kevin Lundberg, R-Berthoud. Penry is the Senate minority leader.
http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20100312/LOVELAND01/100312003

Here's another tragedy where the "hotline" was useless..

I really feel that the budget cuts have rendered many hotlines useless

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index...teen_says.html

"The step-grandmother of a 16-year-old Eugene girl who police say was abused and tortured before her death on Wednesday says she repeatedly called a state child abuse hotline, trying to get someone to check on the teenager.

According to court documents, Jeanette Maples' death "came in the course of, or as a result of intentional maiming and torture." Her mother, Angela McAnulty, 41, and stepfather, Richard McAnulty, 40, appeared in court Thursday to face aggravated murder charges."

This from a thread on the "crimes in the news" board>>

Grandmother called hotline before teen was tortured and murdered - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Here's another tragedy where the "hotline" was useless..

I really feel that the budget cuts have rendered many hotlines useless

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index...teen_says.html

"The step-grandmother of a 16-year-old Eugene girl who police say was abused and tortured before her death on Wednesday says she repeatedly called a state child abuse hotline, trying to get someone to check on the teenager.

According to court documents, Jeanette Maples' death "came in the course of, or as a result of intentional maiming and torture." Her mother, Angela McAnulty, 41, and stepfather, Richard McAnulty, 40, appeared in court Thursday to face aggravated murder charges."

This from a thread on the "crimes in the news" board>>

Grandmother called hotline before teen was tortured and murdered - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

I looked on the gov't accountability portal for my state and social workers got their raises this year.

Last Updated: March 10. 2010 1:47PM
Report: Michigan child welfare reforms fall short
Michigan's Department of Human Services put on 30-day watch to get problems resolved
It is the second in a series of updates since the settlement of a lawsuit in July 2008 filed by Children's Rights, a New York-based advocacy group that charged the state's system endangered the lives of children.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detnews.com/article/2010...hild-welfare-reforms-fall-short#ixzz0iJ2057UD

The sad case of Rilya Wilson prompted lots of "reform" in our DCF...

14 fired...a new law in place that makes it a crime for state workers to falsify visits/reports *(this after a case worker and supervisor were taking off afternoons and faking reports on what they thought were "easy" cases...Rilya was dead/missing for 15 months while her case worker filed false reports, and her murderer got the foster care check for her)

Now at least we do arrest them as in this case in Orlando>>

" Former Caseworker Charged with Falsifying Child Protection Visits
Mar 15, 2010
The Florida Department of Law Enforcement on March 13 arrested a former employee of Community Partnership for Children (CPC), a community agency operating under contract with the Department of Children and Families (DCF). Damion Hall, 29, of Port Orange, allegedly falsified at least 54 client contacts with children or their caregivers. Hall was charged with five counts of falsification of documents, and four counts of forgery."

read more here>>>http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/Content...eworker-Charged-with-Falsifying-Child-Pr.aspx

A good social worker speaks out against CPS.
Talks about a person 'placing an order' for children from a specific family. Being pressured to recommend an adoption to a family that left the child with a registered sex offender and the federal bonus money the state's receive for successful adoptions.

Channel 32 investigative report about the actions of Kentucky's Child Protective Services

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9OoWRPHs24

And now apparently sweet little Marc has been found...his bio mom still defending her "man"

I saw the pics of this dear little boy in the hospital with his burnt hands...
the POI had a child by his bio mom and beat that little boy, Marc's half brother
almost to death...he went to prison for that and for an attack on a man

Marc was the son of a man the bio mom took up with while the POI was in prison...when he got out she got back with him...

this is such a tragedy...why didn't the hospital and social services do something when Marc's hands were burnt?? what is wrong with these people??

Found Deceased NY - Missing 4yr old Marc Bookal, Newburgh - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Simply unreal.....I am speechless

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/florida/fl-dcf-policy-20100408,0,2414586.story

When child welfare investigator Simon Roberts went to the home of a 39-year-old Miami man accused of having sex with his own teenage daughter, he found the man locked in a bedroom with the girl — both of them undressed.

Roberts' action: He ordered the man to sleep in a separate bedroom. And then he left.

Two days later, another investigator took the girl into state custody after — acting on another call to the state's abuse hotline — she found the man, once again, naked with his daughter, this time in a Biscayne Boulevard motel. Both Roberts and his supervisor were fired last month after child welfare leaders said they left the girl at "imminent risk."

Simply unreal.....I am speechless

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/florida/fl-dcf-policy-20100408,0,2414586.story

When child welfare investigator Simon Roberts went to the home of a 39-year-old Miami man accused of having sex with his own teenage daughter, he found the man locked in a bedroom with the girl — both of them undressed.

Roberts' action: He ordered the man to sleep in a separate bedroom. And then he left.

Two days later, another investigator took the girl into state custody after — acting on another call to the state's abuse hotline — she found the man, once again, naked with his daughter, this time in a Biscayne Boulevard motel. Both Roberts and his supervisor were fired last month after child welfare leaders said they left the girl at "imminent risk."

Wow. This Mr. Roberts is an idiot.
'Oh, hi. I see you guys are in her naked. Sorry for interrupting your felony. Would you please go sleep in your own room and leave your daughter alone ? Thank you.'
They blame the new 'policy' where they're trying to keep more families together which is ridiculous. Again good ol' common sense is all it takes.
If a child isn't hurt and the issues are financial, maybe not having enough $$ for decent housing or utilities or maybe the house is a mess, leave the kids. They're not in imminent danger.
If a kid has a small bruise or red mark on the butt and the parent did it, investigate and offer services but if there are no other issues, leave the kids.
If the kid has a broken arm or burns and the parent did it, they're in imminent danger - take them.
If you see a naked man in a bedroom with his naked daughter, you call the police. You are witnessing felony incest and the child is in immediate danger.
It's not rocket science.

Gabriel Myers at the tender age of 7 years-old felt he had no reason to live and believed he was a "bad person". On April 16th, 2009 he hung himself in his foster parents home using the extendable shower-head. After this tragedy, regulations are being sought to monitor prescription drugs in the foster-care system in Florida.

http://www.examiner.com/x-19494-Bro...abriel-Myers-Was-Wayne-Treacy-prescribed-meds

I am not a social worker please let me state that up front just someone very interested in this and possible solutions

In a hospital you go to emergency and you have a triage system in place and yes even that breaks down but

Would it possible that you have individuals that do a very quick, without the red tape assessment of a situation, triage it and then assign it based on varying levels

I know this sounds simplistic and probably unrealistic but i am simply tossing some ideas out

You can toss anything soft at me bananas, slurpees, etc but please nothing hard like apples, rocks, or frieght trains :D

I actually think this is one of the best ideas I've heard yet :great:

Having a team to assess the initial situation is a good idea and should be standard practice.

Salem

Having a team to assess the initial situation is a good idea and should be standard practice.

Salem

I think this is a great idea. It would require a revision of current procedures and requirements, but it is something that could be done. I have discussed this with several co-workers and we haven't been able to find anything negative about this proposal. We do think this should be a position that is filled by experienced Investigators as the "human factor" will always be present and novice personnel simply haven't had enough time on the job to factor in all the potentially abusive situations that come up. Even now, the reports that allege serious neglect or abuse are given to the senior Investigators, not the new people. Unfortunately, there are more new people than experienced people, so sometimes it is something that cannot be avoided. I believe if NC were to revamp the current process to include this approach, we would have a much better success rate and less time wasted on retaliation/false reporting and potentially the ability to retain personnel for a longer period of time.

Salem

Are you serious? There is nothing in place where they go make a quick assessment, if required call someone else in immediately? without these individuals having to write all this up and do the entire assessment? Allowing them to continue on to the next place etc?

I truly dont know much about how all of this works obviously i guess i just assumed

I think this is a great idea. It would require a revision of current procedures and requirements, but it is something that could be done. I have discussed this with several co-workers and we haven't been able to find anything negative about this proposal. We do think this should be a position that is filled by experienced Investigators as the "human factor" will always be present and novice personnel simply haven't had enough time on the job to factor in all the potentially abusive situations that come up. Even now, the reports that allege serious neglect or abuse are given to the senior Investigators, not the new people. Unfortunately, there are more new people than experienced people, so sometimes it is something that cannot be avoided. I believe if NC were to revamp the current process to include this approach, we would have a much better success rate and less time wasted on retaliation/false reporting and potentially the ability to retain personnel for a longer period of time.

I agree it would have to be someone with alot of experience, that can quickly weed assess the individual cases, but yet have the ability to bring in the troops, or more like remove the ones in danger

Like anyone first starting out like i am right here i have to learn from the bottom up and that requires experience

If this is not currently implemented that would allow the more experienced ones to do alot more calls in a day but it will only work the way i am reading it if there is not a mountain load of paperwork involved. It sounds from all i have read that you are spending inordinate amounts of time with the red tape rather than intervention

Ok if i am reading this right that means that if children must be removed immediately they must find a foster home to take them to

In a hospital the urgent patients go to a unit which is staffed 24/7

In the case of my sister in law at 16 it was deemed that she was a danger to herself as well as the other family members and her parents reluctantly knew something had to be done. She was immediately sent for assessment at a hospital (she was oxygen deprived at birth) but what they do have is group homes which are staffed 24/7. In her particular group home overnight they have 2 staff members on, during the day a few more but if they are able to work etc they are picked up, taken to their jobs etc.. This is trained staff just not as costly. There are 12 that live in her particular group home. This is now her home and she will remain there

I recognize that obviously you try to place them back with the families, whether or not i always agree this sb the case or not is for another discussion. She is though monitored every single day.

I guess my next question is this. Is there currently something like that for children that must be removed until decsions/integration back into the family/or subsequent alternatives can be determined? I am not talking short term here i am taking for the longer term. I know how long the system can take. Payment is already made to foster homes but these would be people on the payroll much like a nursing staff and these are their jobs

Ok if i am reading this right that means that if children must be removed immediately they must find a foster home to take them to

In a hospital the urgent patients go to a unit which is staffed 24/7

In the case of my sister in law at 16 it was deemed that she was a danger to herself as well as the other family members and her parents reluctantly knew something had to be done. She was immediately sent for assessment at a hospital (she was oxygen deprived at birth) but what they do have is group homes which are staffed 24/7. In her particular group home overnight they have 2 staff members on, during the day a few more but if they are able to work etc they are picked up, taken to their jobs etc.. This is trained staff just not as costly. There are 12 that live in her particular group home. This is now her home and she will remain there

I recognize that obviously you try to place them back with the families, whether or not i always agree this sb the case or not is for another discussion. She is though monitored every single day.

I guess my next question is this. Is there currently something like that for children that must be removed until decsions/integration back into the family/or subsequent alternatives can be determined? I am not talking short term here i am taking for the longer term. I know how long the system can take. Payment is already made to foster homes but these would be people on the payroll much like a nursing staff and these are their jobs

Allusonz:
Group homes for the mentally ill or children who are a danger to themselves or others are available...as are many other placements for children who have special problems (sexually agressive youth, sexually victimized youth, etc.) DSS makes every effort to place children in whatever living arrangement is determined to be the best placement for the child's needs...whatever that might be. Before we remove a child/children from their home, the situation is evaluated. First priority for "normal" children is Kinship care...that is a relative placement or close friend of the family that the child is familiar with. If parents are separated or never married, the non-custodial parent is the first placement option. Followed by the grandparents, aunts/uncles, etc. Additionally, if a child has to be placed in foster care, the foster care workers make significant effort to place the child in an environment that is best suited to their needs whenever possible, ie same school district, placing all children in the same home, a foster family that best suits the personality or needs of the child, (example: sexually abused teen girl would likely do best with a family who has a few teen girls of their own...and no teen boys). Children with mental health illness are evaluated and placement is determined by a therapist as to the level of program and facility recommended. Children with substance abuse problems are placed in facilities that deal with those type of issues, and so on...
All children in State custody are provided with all services needed...therapy, transportation, medical, etc. We also determine parental contact (or not) and supervise visits if needed, decide if telephone calls need to be monitored, determine if the parents are able to contribute financially, etc.
During the period of State custody, we are mandated to provide services to the parents to "correct" the problem that led to us taking custody. I often don't agree with reunification, however, we must comply.
Throughout the process, the courts hold several hearings to determine what we are doing to comply and what the parents are doing to comply. If the parents refuse to cooperate, we move toward permancy planning (ie: adoption).
That pretty much explains the basics of the Foster Care system.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dianthe
Back