Overhaul of Social Services? Stop these tragedies before they happen???

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I work in a small psychiatric hospital for children,teens and adults. If someone comes in to the ER who is a threat to themselves or others, the staff notifies our care team, they evaluate the situation and notify the psychiatrist on call and he makes the decision on who should be admitted. This is 24/7.It is short term but if longer term care is needed that is set up before discharge.There are also foster parents that are available 24/7 to take kids who are in danger or if parents are jailed etc.

Almost forgot...The agencies, group homes, etc. have their own staff on payroll and they are a separate entity. The State pays for children in the facility if the State has custody. The facility has a contract with the State to perform a service. They must comply with all licensing and requirements of the State. DSS is ocassionally called in to investigate allegations of abuse in such facilities and would complete an evaluation and make a recommendation to the State authority as to the findings. If there is a serious case of abuse/neglect, the facility would most likely loose their license and the contract they have with DSS. Foster Care homes are directly paid when they have children in their care. It is per child and each home is only licensed for so many children. Foster care parents are trained, background checked and approved by DSS.

Oops NC Analyzer! posted same time. Your post much more imformative. Thanks!

Allusonz:
Group homes for the mentally ill or children who are a danger to themselves or others are available...as are many other placements for children who have special problems (sexually agressive youth, sexually victimized youth, etc.) DSS makes every effort to place children in whatever living arrangement is determined to be the best placement for the child's needs...whatever that might be. Before we remove a child/children from their home, the situation is evaluated. First priority for "normal" children is Kinship care...that is a relative placement or close friend of the family that the child is familiar with. If parents are separated or never married, the non-custodial parent is the first placement option. Followed by the grandparents, aunts/uncles, etc. Additionally, if a child has to be placed in foster care, the foster care workers make significant effort to place the child in an environment that is best suited to their needs whenever possible, ie same school district, placing all children in the same home, a foster family that best suits the personality or needs of the child, (example: sexually abused teen girl would likely do best with a family who has a few teen girls of their own...and no teen boys). Children with mental health illness are evaluated and placement is determined by a therapist as to the level of program and facility recommended. Children with substance abuse problems are placed in facilities that deal with those type of issues, and so on...
All children in State custody are provided with all services needed...therapy, transportation, medical, etc. We also determine parental contact (or not) and supervise visits if needed, decide if telephone calls need to be monitored, determine if the parents are able to contribute financially, etc.
During the period of State custody, we are mandated to provide services to the parents to "correct" the problem that led to us taking custody. I often don't agree with reunification, however, we must comply.
Throughout the process, the courts hold several hearings to determine what we are doing to comply and what the parents are doing to comply. If the parents refuse to cooperate, we move toward permancy planning (ie: adoption).
That pretty much explains the basics of the Foster Care system.

Thank you!!! As you can see i have alot to learn :)

Almost forgot...The agencies, group homes, etc. have their own staff on payroll and they are a separate entity. The State pays for children in the facility if the State has custody. The facility has a contract with the State to perform a service. They must comply with all licensing and requirements of the State. DSS is ocassionally called in to investigate allegations of abuse in such facilities and would complete an evaluation and make a recommendation to the State authority as to the findings. If there is a serious case of abuse/neglect, the facility would most likely loose their license and the contract they have with DSS. Foster Care homes are directly paid when they have children in their care. It is per child and each home is only licensed for so many children. Foster care parents are trained, background checked and approved by DSS.

Yes she is very fortunate, the staff there are incredible!!!

I have so much more to learn back to the research and i do appreciate your time and explanations :)

What is the "line" that a parent/ adult has to cross to get kids moved to a safer environment?! It seems we have to wait until they are hurt so terribly that they are dead or hospitalized? I am very frustrated and heartbroken currently over a sobbing child, saying "no one can help me" because I'm afraid it may be true! His parent has DSS reports for YEARS and the case is closed again! Please, someone who is a social worker, explain to me what dictates the point when a child can be removed? Please also say a prayer for this child, and countless others like him!

i think all women under 40 on welfare should be given mandatory IUDs.

Hhhmmm, females produce viable gametes at one time per month. Males produce viable gametes 24/7.

Why is the proposed solution always aimed at the female???

Hhhmmm, females produce viable gametes at one time per month. Males produce viable gametes 24/7.

Why is the proposed solution always aimed at the female???

because there is no equivalent of an iud on men and sterilization is too harsh

I am so torn on this subject because on one hand, I see the tragic outcomes that happen all too often-----and yet, I have two good friends that are social workers, and they are both so caring, intelligent, hard working and selfless. They work so hard for so little money, and their motivation is to help those in need. They see so much despair and hoplessness and they are so committed but it affects their lives in a bad way.

It is hard for me to 'blame' the social workers themselves because I think they want to keep people safe, especially the children. But too often they are over burdened, understaffed, have no money/resources, support from above, and they cannot do every thing they know needs to be done.

My friends complain that the families know how to work the system, how to hide things from them, how to answer questions, or agree to do 'programs' and then fly under the radar. Parents leave the area so the report falls into a dead zone. So many roadblacks for the workers. And they cannot always follow up because as they are trying to figure out where one family went to, two more reports fall on to the pile on their desks.

I am so torn on this subject because on one hand, I see the tragic outcomes that happen all too often-----and yet, I have two good friends that are social workers, and they are both so caring, intelligent, hard working and selfless. They work so hard for so little money, and their motivation is to help those in need. They see so much despair and hoplessness and they are so committed but it affects their lives in a bad way.

It is hard for me to 'blame' the social workers themselves because I think they want to keep people safe, especially the children. But too often they are over burdened, understaffed, have no money/resources, support from above, and they cannot do every thing they know needs to be done.

My friends complain that the families know how to work the system, how to hide things from them, how to answer questions, or agree to do 'programs' and then fly under the radar. Parents leave the area so the report falls into a dead zone. So many roadblacks for the workers. And they cannot always follow up because as they are trying to figure out where one family went to, two more reports fall on to the pile on their desks.

Thanks for your balanced perspective. I get frustrated when people become irate at social services and suggest arresting social workers whenever there is a terrible, ongoing case of abuse that ends in the tragic death of a child. It isn't that simple. Of course, there may be social workers who are in the wrong. But like other social servants--teachers and cops--there are more good ones than bad. They need support, so that they don't give up.

Throwing money at agencies and providing more training does not prevent abusive parents from hiding their evil deeds. As you point out, there are ways to work the system or just move. Also, the fact remains that we live in a free society, and there are legal safeguards that also work to protect abusive parents. How much freedom is this society willing to give up to ensure the safety of children?

As neighbors, friends and family though, all of us can keep an eye on the kids around us and decide that WE are mandatory reporters. We can be good neighbors, not to spy, but so that endangered children do not fall through the cracks. As private citizens, we have access that social workers and LE don't. And never be hesitant to report something that doesn't seem right. Don't be anonymous. Give LE or CPS our name and phone number, so that they can follow up with us if their investigation doesn't see what we saw. It takes a village to protect our children.
JMO

In my state, there are less social workers than ever, more foster homes not renewing their licenses and more children needing to be removed. Many social workers with experience are burnt out, frustrated and depressed. Even their own laws and rules are sometimes contradictory, yet they are held accountable. If you can convince someone to become a social worker, they last three to six months and realize this is not something they want to do long term. The demand for foster homes well outweighs the supply. Being a foster parent is a scary, frustrating, thankless and sometimes dangerous situation. And yet, right now, more children are needing to be removed from homes. Meth and heroin use are a huge factor.

Standards of living are not a reason to remove a child. Living without running water or electricity are lifestyle choices. The state will work for and with families that are struggling with poverty. I have seen them bend over backwards to help families who truly wanted help. A child must be in real danger to be removed from the home. And yes, plenty of parents know what to say, how to stall, how to work the system.

Often children will stick up for their parents, for a few reasons. One, their lives are their normal. They may not know a different standard. Two, they may have said something to a teacher or friend and gotten in trouble from their parents when it got reported. It only takes CPS coming out one time and NOT removing a child for the child to decide its better to stay quiet or even lie to cover the parents.

The system is broken. The system is over burdened. Its needs a complete overhaul, third party accountability and a lot more funding. But more importantly, the change has to start at home so that there isn't such a demand for the system to begin with. Kids being abused, parents doing drugs, violence in the home should be the exception not the common situation it has come to be.

Like Lilibet suggested, be a neighbor. Be a friend. Don't hesitate to report something. But also, don't be afraid to offer support to a parent you see struggling. Maybe just a kind word or bit of encouragement. If you're in a position, talk to young people about the responsibilities of becoming parents. Its not an income generating career via WIC and food stamps. Its not something you do because babies are cute and you like to shop for their clothes. Obviously, this isn't the complete answer. There are far too many issues. But every family that can live together happily and safely is one less that the system has to try to deal with.

lilbet said:
As neighbors, friends and family though, all of us can keep an eye on the kids around us and decide that WE are mandatory reporters. We can be good neighbors, not to spy, but so that endangered children do not fall through the cracks.

you can watch and report, but in my state that doesn't mean SS will come out and check out the situation.

My state (MN) is in the process of 'overhauling' their system. They haven't mad much headway though, and some recent news reports make me think they're actually going to end up backtracking.

Last year my state 'screened in' 29% of reports of abuse/neglect for evaluation which just means the report was looked at, not that someone actually went out and investigated the allegations made. This year, that number went up to 32% which is only 3% more, and still well below the rest of the states which is around 70%.

Last year, 18,000 reports were screened out.

this article talks about more than 100 reforms to the MN child protection services but I cannot find a full list: http://www.startribune.com/more-tha...-minnesota-child-protection-system/297246191/

full list: http://www.lcc.leg.mn/tfcp/meetings/11102015/Child Protection Strategy Work group REVISED.PDF

Then in November another article came out stating that DHS wanted to drop some of the new reforms for reasons unknown. One of the reasons " A requirement that children always be interviewed separately from their alleged abusers" really blows my mind. What good would interviewing them while their abuser is right there listening to them tell about the abuse rained upon them by the person standing right next to them? What happens when the SS worker leaves? The child would be in extreme danger.

This whole system needs to be nation wide. It would end the dead zone issue.

If data entry for the database would be an issue.. I could do some for free, or there is amazon's mechanical turk workplace. A lot of things on there pay really low and yet people still work on them. There is also ways to block workers so they couldn't work on their own states files.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dianthe
Back