PA - Amtrak train from Washington crashes in Philadelphia, May 2015

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wont confirm the 100 MPH plus at this point per presser

Mayor clarified it was not the Conductor he had mispoke. It's the Engineer that operates the train. However he was treated and briefed. Facts are the same he just had called the Engineer the Conductor.

Just saw the report of the train going 100 mph around that curve. OMG. Did the engineer fall asleep on the throttle or was he texting? He had just stopped in Philly! WTH??

I did a map...don't know how to share it?

I dragged the route to go basically along the rail lines. It was about 11 miles. And there is a less drastic curve in the track about a mile before this one.

I am wondering about some sudden health issue? Heart attack or something? I need to make clear, this is just speculation.

IF something like that happened, would they have put that out there already? I mean, it would mean much less "blame". It would truly make this a horrific accident, and not something more sinister.

I used to work with someone that was out of work and on(paid) disability for a year, it was said they had sleep apnea, when they returned to work not long after that there was a layoff that affected their employment. Not long after that I heard this person was an employee at amtrak and was a conductor. I am not sure if they are still there. jmo idk

Conductors ticket etc. on board. Engineers drive the train.

Mayor Nutters Press Conference

Some new info. Some old.

- Active investigation going on at the site.

- Introduce all the bigwigs.

- Confirm 7 individuals deceased from the derailment. ME Office has begun notifying next of kin.

- Took the two Senators on a tour to inform them of what happened and what (is expected of them?)

- Lady Spokesperson ( missed it all)

- Nutters again, thanking Red Cross, Salvation Army, etc.

- Now, Sen. Bob Casey

- Now, Sen. Toomey

- Nutters again, spoke with President Barack Obama who was tremendously supportive of all their efforts.

- Now, answer questions.

- Cannot confrirm anything about 100mph in 50mph zone. "Let's not speculate."
- Broken windshields on other trains not connected.
- The engineer was injured, received treatment, and DID give statement to proper authorities. Correcting an earlier statement he (Nutters) made.
- And, it goes on.

Is there not a second person up with the Engineer? Anyone know?

Well, usually, there is a Fireman along with the Engineer. The Fireman is also capable of driving the train.

Wont confirm the 100 MPH plus at this point per presser

Was just gonna ask this.

Given the "black box" and "camera" they will figure out quickly what happened, at least as far as speed goes.

I think speed was a factor when you consider the description of the damage to the cars.

And, oops, I kept saying conductor when I really meant engineer....

I am amazed there were not more deaths. I realize the number presently reported may change but it "could" have been many, many more deaths. Considering there are no seat belts and all kinds of things aboard would be projectiles.

I am amazed there were not more deaths. I realize the number presently reported may change but it "could" have been many, many more deaths. Considering there are no seat belts and all kinds of things aboard would be projectiles.

I said last night, train travel seem so safe...until the very second it isn't. Thank goodness these accidents are so rare. Lately, seems there are many more plane crashes than trains! Which in and of itself is kind of strange!

Again, let me state I am not an accident investigator...LOL!

But that looks like damage from hitting trees after the derailment. Splashed with dirt as it was going through the area between the 2 sets of tracks.

LOL Ya but ya got a good eye there

EMT's presently speaking. God Bless them for the work they do. I was also touched by the many stories of passengers who were helping others.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nelib87
Back