Deceased/Not Found PA - Anna Maciejewska, 43, Chester County, 10 April 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My (inexperienced, non-professional) gut says there's no reason to believe the car and the body were left anywhere near each other. (Assuming it was not a suicide, nor some sort of weird "I'm rushing off to work but decided to go for a hike instead and then had some sort of accident" scenario. Also assuming there's no evidence that the scene was staged to look like either of those things, in which case the perpetrator would be counting on the body being discovered nearby.)

As far as we know, no one saw (or talked directly to) Anna after a certain date, probably ~3/28 or so. Did any neighbors see her car in the intervening time, while she was (allegedly) sick at home? As in, parked in the driveway?

Just imagine that she met with foul play around the 28th or so. The body would likely have been disposed of soon after, right? But perhaps her car was kept at home until the day she supposedly rushed off to work (but never arrived) to maintain the illusion that she was at home. That's total supposition, and there are too many unknowns (for us, maybe not the PSP) to say at this point what the timeline really was, but my point is that there could have been quite a lot of time in between when Anna actually disappeared and when the car was left in that parking lot. We don't even know if it was there the whole time between 4/10 and when it was found. The body dump and the car dump could have been completely separate events.

(Again, this works on the presumption that there was foul play involved, and that presumption is made based on facts in evidence to us, which are clearly not all the facts and are not even necessarily facts. The PSP could be working in another direction entirely.)

My (inexperienced, non-professional) gut says there's no reason to believe the car and the body were left anywhere near each other. (Assuming it was not a suicide, nor some sort of weird "I'm rushing off to work but decided to go for a hike instead and then had some sort of accident" scenario. Also assuming there's no evidence that the scene was staged to look like either of those things, in which case the perpetrator would be counting on the body being discovered nearby.)

As far as we know, no one saw (or talked directly to) Anna after a certain date, probably ~3/28 or so. Did any neighbors see her car in the intervening time, while she was (allegedly) sick at home? As in, parked in the driveway?

Just imagine that she met with foul play around the 28th or so. The body would likely have been disposed of soon after, right? But perhaps her car was kept at home until the day she supposedly rushed off to work (but never arrived) to maintain the illusion that she was at home. That's total supposition, and there are too many unknowns (for us, maybe not the PSP) to say at this point what the timeline really was, but my point is that there could have been quite a lot of time in between when Anna actually disappeared and when the car was left in that parking lot. We don't even know if it was there the whole time between 4/10 and when it was found. The body dump and the car dump could have been completely separate events.

(Again, this works on the presumption that there was foul play involved, and that presumption is made based on facts in evidence to us, which are clearly not all the facts and are not even necessarily facts. The PSP could be working in another direction entirely.)

Good points. I'm curious if LE have neighborhood video surveillance of her leaving her house, driving, etc after the 28th? I'm sure they have looked at that if available and if so, have a better idea of when she was last seen out of the home.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

GigTu, I know what you mean. However, from what I've read so far, "a key player" has been very active in the Facebook group early on. Then my understanding is that there were some insinuations and maybe even direct accusations made in that Facebook group. As a result, almost all comments were deleted. By the time I found out about Anna's disappearance and started reading about this case (around mid-May), Facebook group has already been thoroughly scrubbed. Maybe this is the reason "the key player" has distanced him-/herself from the search effort.
I had no idea.

It's easy to conclude based on the delay of reporting her missing, and not doing so until LE shows up on the doorstep. But we don't know anything except what's reported in the paper. As noted above, there must be a lot more to the story than has been told.

Good points. I'm curious if LE have neighborhood video surveillance of her leaving her house, driving, etc after the 28th? I'm sure they have looked at that if available and if so, have a better idea of when she was last seen out of the home.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

At the last press conference, the police emphasized that they really, really wanted to hear from anyone who had seen her, talked to her or had any idea of what her movements were the week before she was reported missing. If you haven't seen the video of that conference, check it out asap.

At the last press conference, the police emphasized that they really, really wanted to hear from anyone who had seen her, talked to her or had any idea of what her movements were the week before she was reported missing. If you haven't seen the video of that conference, check it out asap.
I'm wondering if the coworker actually saw her on the date they said, or if it was actually a week earlier. After March 28, literally no one else besides her husband has spoken to her or seen her. If she was sick, what were her symptoms? Did she go to the doctor?

Can they ping the location the texts sent to her family or know the location of the phone when the husband told the parents to call another day? I'm assuming that if the phone pings never left the home from the days prior until she was reported missing then she most likely met her demise at home...

If something happened at home, she would either still be at the home or had to be transported. Do we know if cadaver dogs were used at the home or on the vehicles?

There's a heartbreaking and heartfelt letter from Anna's parents on the Finding Anna FB page. I can't imagine what they're going through. It's also obvious who is omitted. JMO

I think one of the telling things about this case is that PSP and Local LE are not issuing any special warnings to folks local to Anna's home and the apartment complex. None of the usual "keep a close eye on your kids, make sure you lock your doors and set your alarms or have someone walk you to your car" kind of stuff.

I listend to the whole thing. A summary - a very crude transcription of what was discussed is below:

The 1:20:58 radio clip Mark Hopkins roughly talks about how Ashley May got involved in Anna's MP case and became the spokesperson, and the radio personality found her credible. Anna is described as "the missing woman from Malvern." She messaged Ellen from the Finding Anna FB page for information, and became more concerned after Mother's Day. They met, and prepared to interview for a radio station. They went to Embreyville for the news conference, where she met John Rollins. She realizes how important it is to have media on your side and have people who reach out to find out if there is new information. It's also good to have media advocate for the person, to ask the hard questions and provoke difficult conversations. They met with neighbors, community members, Anna's coworkers, the Polish community (which is complex to describe), and those who saw the reports online. All of those minds came together in a community meeting at a hotel in Malvern, and many of the people offered assistance. This started the cohesive effort to find Anna and serve as "Anna's voice". They discussed searching, canvassing, flyering, fundraising, and who would lead the different tasks. The case is filled with a whole lot of waiting. Lots of calls, lots of waiting. You may not always see the fruits of your labor, or at least not for a long time (if at all), so it's hard to get people to help for searching - but they didn't know where to search. They decided to go on their own fact finding mission.

Anna's case is different because it's near Ashley, but also because there aren't family nearby, just in Poland. Her parents are 80 and ill. Ashely didn't realize she was signing up for the front lines. Then they had to weed out the "weirdos" that want to come to help until they had a group pf people willing to volunteer at every event and be organized, and listen to reason and logic, beyond prayers and hugs. They researched the places she frequented. They handed out flyers in King of Prussia Mall, where many only two towns over didn't even know Anna was missing. She noticed how things get twisted in the media, but she had found two reporters (Brandon and John) that care about their stories and are confidential. There was no agency to go to to help facilitate the search for Anna. They've gone to various events and handed out flyers and donated baked goods, etc to spread the word. From it a man from the YMCA remembered something he had seen 2 months prior once he saw a flyer with Anna's face on it.

Mark went to a meeting unofficially, no uniform and no badge. He wanted to provide advice although he could not guide any SAR without being asked officially. He acknowledged how people on FB are harsh and say hurtful things with no knowledge of how painful it is. There hasn't been any backwards motion. None on the team are professional searchers or LE, so feel they've done okay so far, sticking to their mission and adapting to changing as things progress. There's no clearinghouse database for missing persons, and it's needed. Also needed is a template and time table on how to manage finding missing people, and a place to go to get maps, flyers, etc. The "first 3 days" was brought up multiple times as the critical time frame to search for someone. In the first days, people come in and take advantage of vulnerable family members during those critical times.

During the entire interview, there was mention of her parents, her son, her family, her friends... but never ever once was the husband mentioned as part of the search or as a person who would miss Anna. Not even when individuals from family were being mentioned.

They finally mentioned the husband, but only to say that he said to police on April 12 that on April 10 she left in a panic to go to a meeting at work. On May 8 her car was found about 1 1/2 miles from her home. She was last seen in public on March 26. Someone drove and parked the car there, the car didn't park itself. Someone must remember the car coming into the community, but no more information was given. A neighbor was taking Easter pictures and the car is in the background. A different neighbor was washing their own car in the driveway and remembered seeing the car parked nearby and recalling that it seemed so clean and pristine. They went door to door asking people in the neighborhood if they had cameras or had seen anything, or if they walk the trails. There was only one camera on one house that was on the next street over, and that was a backyard camera.

In closing, they did not implicate anyone, and they were very careful what they said so as not to slander anyone. But, I got the feeling they think something happened to Anna against her will. And I think they think it's the same thing we think... by someone in her home.

:bump:

There are templates for searching for missing people. There are places to get maps. All PA Search Managers are certified in this technology.....BUT if LE will not invite them in to search, their hands are tied. If property owners will not give access to the property, LE is forced to justify a search warrant and that is tough to do on a missing person search. It is a big risk for a search manager to agree to lead an untrained team due to liability. I have trained volunteer searchers. I have gone on searches as a volunteer, but I am not willing to stick my neck into a noose to "lead" a volunteer team, notably when LE (for reasons unknown to us) appear to be against it. I was on a search a couple of years ago where volunteer members went rouge and started going off on their own onto private property and acting as if they were investigators. This happened to be a PSP case and I know they were a bit unhappy with the rouge behavior. At this juncture, unless she was abducted and is being held somewhere, this is not a SAR mission, it's a body recovery operation sorry to say. Most volunteers are not mentally equipped to handle stumbling upon decomposed human remains.

I surely would not want to be the one to make such a find. I agree rogue searching is not a good idea and should be left to the professionals. I also agree that this is a recovery. Sadly. :(

And about templates, timelines and maps, I meant in a more global aspect. There isn't a rule book or obvious set of steps to take starting from hour 1. If there is, most people don't know about it and certainly not where to find it.

I surely would not want to be the one to make such a find. I agree rogue searching is not a good idea and should be left to the professionals. I also agree that this is a recovery. Sadly. :(

And about templates, timelines and maps, I meant in a more global aspect. There isn't a rule book or obvious set of steps to take starting from hour 1. If there is, most people don't know about it and certainly not where to find it.

National Association for Search and Rescue
http://www.nasar.org/

FEMA Self Study Courses - Incident Command
https://training.fema.gov/is/crslist.aspx?all=true

Great first post! And welcome to Websleuths!
:thewave: :wagon: :thewave:

Yes, there are so many unknowns in this case and LE has played their cards close to the chest. I hope they have more in terms of CCTV and witnesses allowing them to make a tighter time-frame. As it stands, if someone was involved in her disappearance, they have may well have had the luxury of a lot of time and the absence of pressure. And when someone has time on their side and no heat, they make fewer mistakes and can better cover their tracks. I don't think she'll be found anywhere near the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1