PA - Assassination attempt, shooting injures former POTUS Donald Trump, leaves 1 spectator deceased two in critical condition, 13 July 2024 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Rep. Mike Waltz (Fl/R) has been saying for a week that members of Trump's SS detail told him that they had been requesting more personnel for months. Of course it was denied-- until it wasn't. Here's hoping Monday's hearing will clear up at least some of the confusion surrounding the shooting. What about the van? Was it ever at the rally venue like the sedan and the bike? Were the "explosive materials" armed bombs or just the raw materials? TC was bullied or not, considered "nice" or a "school shooter", and had no internet footprint except for the stuff they are finding now.
I’m not sure a hearing on Monday is going to reveal much. These investigations take a long time. Miles of video to review, hundreds of people to interview.

I hope it’s not a witch hunt. Some of the members seem to have chosen their victims. It’s boring and predictable, so I don’t watch it. I’d rather wait for the reports from investigators.

I'm going on record as saying it's not that TC does not have an internet presence. It's that he has an internet presence they are still trying to track down and don't want to tip their hand in case there are other people to track down from there. OR that he has an internet presence they haven't connected him to yet. Or both, where there is more than one presence, one or some they know, others they do not.

I don't dispute that SS messed up at the Butler, PA rally, resulting in a terrible tragedy. I'm just not willing to accept that SS had been shorting Trump on his SS budget and protection for the last 2 years. Trump is a very outspoken man and it seemed unlikely he would have tolerated such cuts in his security without going public and making a fuss.

Of course, its possible, but this time I'm asking for some evidence. I still prefer to wait until the investigation is complete. JMO The only exception would be if there were some glaring problem right now in SS that threatens the security of all the individuals and families it serves.
I’m not sure it would be very smart for Trump to announce publicly that there is a lack of security at his appearances.
That said, this incident shows that the SS detail at the rally is completely inept and the only person that protected Trump was himself. That’s an absolute failure of responsibility.

Another major issue to be addressed is why the SS allowed President Trump to go out on the stage when they knew there was a possible threat underway. Why wasn't he kept in the holding area for another 15 minutes or so until they figured it all out? There was no rush, there was no expectation that President Trump had to be on the stage at any exact time.

Edited to add: We need to know who made that decision, what did they know, and when did they know it, and was this communicated to President Trump's SS security detail and did they still make the decision to give President Trump the green light to proceed to the podium?

He was in the dark while all this chaos was swirling around him.

Last edited:

These are anonymous sources, so we'll have to see where this goes.

In a statement provided to The New York Times on Saturday, Mr. Guglielmi emphasized that the federal agency works in a “dynamic threat environment” and that, in the instances where the Secret Service could not provide additional resources, they supplemented security for Mr. Trump’s rallies with state and local law enforcement assets or changed its security plans to reduce Mr. Trump’s exposure.

Guglielmi is saying that they supplemented Trump's security team with state and local LE. It's a tacit admission that they sometimes don't always have the assets to provide extra help to Trump, so they help him by providing assistance from local LE. There was also mention of the difficulty of providing security during election years, when multiple candidates are on the road and party conventions are taking place.

It also sounds like they have no problem providing former presidents like Trump with day to day SS security, the problem is when they put on campaign events that require so much extra assistance. That's the case with any of the former president's not just Trump.

Last edited:

Good pic here of the site from the view of the shooter, shows sloped roof buildings on the other side as well.

View attachment 519445
Wow, I don't know what that view looks like through a scope (and/or rangefinder?) as the shooter would've seen it, but to me, it looks like a long shot. Those buildings across the water look closer to his "target" to me.

So this view gives me the best picture I've seen of the whole layout. The shot that hit Trump didn't lodge in Trump anywhere, it "grazed" him, they said. Which means it whizzed by him, nicking his ear, but the bullet kept going from that point. And what I see beyond where Trump would have stood, is that angled set of risers where audience members were seated. Is that the seats where all 3 of the other victims were located?

Would that mean the bullet that hit Trump sailed on past Trump and hit one of the other victims? Or would hitting Trump change its trajectory enough that it couldn't have been the same bullet that hit another victim? If it did that, I guess it could've sent it into the OTHER set of seats that I think were the ones right behind where Trump stood. So were all 3 of the other people who were hit located in the same set of seats? Or were they in both sets? Or was one or more part of the standing crowd in front of Trump?

Oh, okay, so there were 2 of those angled side sets of bleachers. And Corey C. was in the first one. So maybe what I know I read somewhere is true, that Corey was standing in the way of the shooter's view of Trump, and that he was shot so the shooter could get a clear shot of Trump?

Do we know which shot it was that hit each person? Like was it the first shot or a later shot that hit Corey or Trump or each of the other 2? I thought his first shot hit Trump, then he managed to get a few more in before he himself was shot by the sniper LE.

But this makes me think Corey was hit by the first shot, then Trump, or maybe one of the other victims, then Trump. Or maybe it was really too long of a shot for his capabilities, and he just sprayed a number of shots in the general area of focus, one happening to hit Trump, and another shot hitting each of the 3 other victims. Amazing that he got so very close to a lethal head shot of Trump. Trump's very lucky to be alive.

“The Secret Service has a vast, dynamic, and intricate mission. Every day we work in a dynamic threat environment to ensure our protectees are safe and secure across multiple events, travel, and other challenging environments,” the agency’s chief spokesperson, Anthony Guglielmi, said in a statement released late Saturday to The Washington Post. The newspaper was first to report on the agency’s reversal, which it said was based on detailed questions submitted to the agency.

There is “an untrue assertion that a member of the former President’s team requested additional security resources & that those were rebuffed,” Gugliemi said in a social media post. “This is absolutely false. In fact, we added protective resources & technology & capabilities as part of the increased campaign travel tempo.”

Secret Service spokesperson Anthony Guglielmi told The New York Times the agency turned down some requests for additional security for Trump made over the last two years, a reversal from his comments immediately following the shooting, when he called rumors of such denials "an untrue assertion."

Guglielmi said in a statement to the Times on Saturday that while the denials were not specifically related to the Butler, Pennsylvania rally at which Trump was grazed by a bullet last weekend, the Secret Service was, at times, unable to provide the additional requested federal resources and instead relied on state and local law enforcement to fill in the gaps.

I haven't posted on this thread, for various reasons, primarily because I avoid any threads that have even a whiff of being potentially political, because I abhor what politics in the US has become today. However, I have been watching and reading avidly since Butler, PA is my hometown. Although I live in Pittsburgh now, I was on my way there that evening for something else that night, in the city/downtown. As I was about halfway there, my phone started just blowing up with texts from friends and family in the area. Like many of you, I am appalled and flabbergasted at what transpired that day, the failures, and the multiple opportunities that there were to have nipped this in the bud before this became a tragedy.

After reading articles from multiple places and the really good analysis and questions posed here by our ever-savvy sleuthers, I am in the camp that the failures and circumstances of the event lie squarely on the shoulders of the SS, who was responsible for 2 key elements that could have made a difference (all IMHO):

1. Designating the Perimeter - To me, this was the first and biggest failure of security that occurred, given the range of the weapon used and rifles available to pretty much every citizen in the US today. How could buildings within shooting range of the stage where Trump was going to be NOT considered in the inner perimeter, especially since there was clearly an ability to get up on to a rooftop using an AC unit? I can see if the only way to get up on the roof (if say, the building was 10 stories) was through the building, that securing any entrances would be enough, but that clearly wasn't the case. While it's true that Butler County is Trump Country and he is beloved there, no place is immune from a disgruntled lone gunman.

2. Communications/Chain of Command Confusion - Although less is known about what exactly the chain of command and ability of local police to reach and be heard by the SS teams, it seems to me that the delays from when the shooter was spotted at every point were either not taken seriously or not communicated to those who could do something about it until it was too late. Arrrgh! There were SO many opportunities to have stopped the shooter. For once, this might have been the time to act in the "Shoot First, Ask Questions Later" mode, that LE is criticized (sometimes rightfully) for in circumstances where it isn't even warranted. Heck, how about we just ask Thomas Crook some questions in a friendly manner, "Hey son, what are you doing? What's in the bag? Why do you have that range finder? Can we see some ID?" [This one I am going to criticize local LE for - let's, you know, err on the side of caution here people!] I think that had that happened, it might have been enough to spook Crooks, and we would all be reading about a man being questioned and let go or perhaps found with a gun instead of what transpired.

On that point of Communications....were the SS dismissive of any warnings from local LE, thinking "What do these small-time cops know about anything?" ... or was there some chain of communications that bounced from person to person to person that required escalation that ultimately delayed everything?

I admit that of course I could be biased in favor of the LE in my little hometown, but I do hope that some answers will be forthcoming in the upcoming hearings and there is accountability for the failures that occurred.

And just because, I'll share some good tidbits about Butler, PA. It was an amazing, safe, and wonderful place to grow up, full of great people - and also, the birthplace of the Jeep: Butler | Butler County Tourism & Convention Bureau

Reactions: GRT

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back