PA - Assassination attempt, shooting injures former POTUS Donald Trump, leaves 1 spectator deceased two in critical condition, 13 July 2024 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
1721583576154.png
In the months after an isolated, deeply troubled 20-year-old took his
mother’s AR-style rifle and opened fire inside Sandy Hook Elementary School, gun sales in America exploded, partly fueled by the threat of a fresh ban on the assault weapons that would become the firearm of choice for some of the country’s most infamous killers.

Thomas Matthew Crooks, who used a gun purchased by his father after the Sandy Hook massacre, evokes the profile of a mass shooter. Instead he fired at a former president

Last edited:
View attachment 519535
In the months after an isolated, deeply troubled 20-year-old took his mother’s AR-style rifle and opened fire inside Sandy Hook Elementary School, gun sales in America exploded, partly fueled by the threat of a fresh ban on the assault weapons that would become the firearm of choice for some of the country’s most infamous killers.

This article has a paywall. Can you give us the main point of the article/comparison? Thanks.

Reading your post and I appreciate your local perspective. It must be so very unsettling to have something like this happen in your hometown. I think most all of us don't think any differently of your town, the local LE in that town or the people that live there. This could have happened in any town, in any state, in America. It seems like this is a wake up call for the SS and one that has needed to happen for a long time. I would never wish anyone to be harmed like this or killed, but if anything at all good can come from it, I hope it's that SS will regroup and retrain, or implement new training or new procedures so they are stronger and better equipped to keep those they are protecting safe.

Thank you so much for your kind words! Really appreciate it.

This article has a paywall. Can you give us the main point of the article/comparison? Thanks.
Yeah, sorry. I cant get in either just what I could see. It will come across yahoo at some point. Apologies, while I was reading it at first and then the bummer rectangle comes up.

Last edited:
The article I list below is interesting because of the theory of two or more shooters. I haven't seen any reports about the bullets that were fired. Were they all from the same gun, and were they traced to the gun TC used on the roof. The article says there were 6-8 shoots fired, first volley of 3 hit David Dutch & Trump, Corey Comperatore and James Copenhaver were hit with the follow up volley. I think this investigation so far has not been revealing, maybe for the reason of secrecy. Bill Ackman tweets then deletes wild claim about Trump assassination

Wow, my mind never went there. You could well be right. What a sick, evil man.
Ita.
And to think he was working in a nursing home around helpless people !

For Thomas Crooks, the suburban Pittsburgh nursing home where he served meals and washed dishes for $16 an hour was another solitary corner of a nearly invisible life.
He was polite but distant, a former co-worker said, ate lunch alone in the break room and rarely spoke with anyone.

Committee member Rep. Tim Burchett, R-Tenn., told NPR he has “a whole lot of questions” about the attempted assassination and believes Cheatle should be fired.

Last week, Alejandro Mayorkas, secretary of the Department of Homeland Security, which oversees the Secret Service, told NPR he was grateful former President Trump was OK following the attack and acknowledged that there had been “a failure” at the rally.

“But the matter is the subject of a criminal investigation by the FBI, as well as the subject of an independent review that the president has commissioned, so I cannot speak to the facts of Saturday's event.”

I had quoted a post which was removed, talking about taking the line of sight away from potential assassins. I live in the West Palm area, pretty close to Mar-a-Lago where Trump resides. When he was POTUS, the county deployed old buses to shield Air Force One. These buses were deployed for years.

I had quoted a post which was removed, talking about taking the line of sight away from potential assassins. I live in the West Palm area, pretty close to Mar-a-Lago where Trump resides. When he was POTUS, the county deployed old buses to shield Air Force One. These buses were deployed for years.

It's a good idea. Park up, job done, use your personnel elsewhere.

Secret Service started assigning an agent to the small group of reporters who travel with the president so they would know whether someone was infiltrating the group.

After Reagan's shooting, presidents also were driven into buildings through underground parking garages. When that's not possible, a cover is erected around the entrance to obstruct the line of sight as the president gets into or out of a vehicle.

“Nobody walks through the front door any more," said retired supervisory Secret Service agent Bobby McDonald, now a criminal justice lecturer at the University of New Haven. “Presidents and protectees of the Secret Service have seen more loading docks and have walked through more kitchens than ever before.”

Changes also followed the assassination of John F. Kennedy in 1963 as he drove through Dallas in a convertible, former agents say. Presidents no longer sit in open vehicles but wave to onlookers through the thick glass of a heavily armored limousine nicknamed “the beast.”

Mounting security concerns a month after the Oklahoma City bombing at a federal building prompted the closure. There were other changes, too, such as air traffic restrictions after a small plane crashed into the White House lawn in 1994. As well, gunfire twice hit the mansion that same year.

Then-President Bill Clinton said closing the street was necessary to protect against the kind of attack seen in Oklahoma City but vowed that “people's access to the White House and their president” would not be impeded. He even vowed that protesters would still have the right to walk up to the White House property. Many still do.

I haven't posted on this thread, for various reasons, primarily because I avoid any threads that have even a whiff of being potentially political, because I abhor what politics in the US has become today. However, I have been watching and reading avidly since Butler, PA is my hometown. Although I live in Pittsburgh now, I was on my way there that evening for something else that night, in the city/downtown. As I was about halfway there, my phone started just blowing up with texts from friends and family in the area. Like many of you, I am appalled and flabbergasted at what transpired that day, the failures, and the multiple opportunities that there were to have nipped this in the bud before this became a tragedy.

After reading articles from multiple places and the really good analysis and questions posed here by our ever-savvy sleuthers, I am in the camp that the failures and circumstances of the event lie squarely on the shoulders of the SS, who was responsible for 2 key elements that could have made a difference (all IMHO):

1. Designating the Perimeter - To me, this was the first and biggest failure of security that occurred, given the range of the weapon used and rifles available to pretty much every citizen in the US today. How could buildings within shooting range of the stage where Trump was going to be NOT considered in the inner perimeter, especially since there was clearly an ability to get up on to a rooftop using an AC unit? I can see if the only way to get up on the roof (if say, the building was 10 stories) was through the building, that securing any entrances would be enough, but that clearly wasn't the case. While it's true that Butler County is Trump Country and he is beloved there, no place is immune from a disgruntled lone gunman.

2. Communications/Chain of Command Confusion - Although less is known about what exactly the chain of command and ability of local police to reach and be heard by the SS teams, it seems to me that the delays from when the shooter was spotted at every point were either not taken seriously or not communicated to those who could do something about it until it was too late. Arrrgh! There were SO many opportunities to have stopped the shooter. For once, this might have been the time to act in the "Shoot First, Ask Questions Later" mode, that LE is criticized (sometimes rightfully) for in circumstances where it isn't even warranted. Heck, how about we just ask Thomas Crook some questions in a friendly manner, "Hey son, what are you doing? What's in the bag? Why do you have that range finder? Can we see some ID?" [This one I am going to criticize local LE for - let's, you know, err on the side of caution here people!] I think that had that happened, it might have been enough to spook Crooks, and we would all be reading about a man being questioned and let go or perhaps found with a gun instead of what transpired.

On that point of Communications....were the SS dismissive of any warnings from local LE, thinking "What do these small-time cops know about anything?" ... or was there some chain of communications that bounced from person to person to person that required escalation that ultimately delayed everything?

I admit that of course I could be biased in favor of the LE in my little hometown, but I do hope that some answers will be forthcoming in the upcoming hearings and there is accountability for the failures that occurred.

And just because, I'll share some good tidbits about Butler, PA. It was an amazing, safe, and wonderful place to grow up, full of great people - and also, the birthplace of the Jeep: Butler | Butler County Tourism & Convention

I’m in the same room with you, as I don’t want to be on any forum that has to do with Politics. It’s everywhere and it’s not what I want to hear or engage in at WS.

That being said, political assassinations are a great concern for me as an American, as all mass shootings are.

If we start to have this *specific political violence every 4th year of an administration we will have entered into a new era. I can’t imagine either, or both, *candidates being killed shortly before our election. It’s barbaric.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back