PA - Assassination attempt, shooting injures former POTUS Donald Trump, leaves 1 spectator deceased two in critical condition, 13 July 2024 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Secret Service started assigning an agent to the small group of reporters who travel with the president so they would know whether someone was infiltrating the group.

After Reagan's shooting, presidents also were driven into buildings through underground parking garages. When that's not possible, a cover is erected around the entrance to obstruct the line of sight as the president gets into or out of a vehicle.

“Nobody walks through the front door any more," said retired supervisory Secret Service agent Bobby McDonald, now a criminal justice lecturer at the University of New Haven. “Presidents and protectees of the Secret Service have seen more loading docks and have walked through more kitchens than ever before.”

Changes also followed the assassination of John F. Kennedy in 1963 as he drove through Dallas in a convertible, former agents say. Presidents no longer sit in open vehicles but wave to onlookers through the thick glass of a heavily armored limousine nicknamed “the beast.”

Mounting security concerns a month after the Oklahoma City bombing at a federal building prompted the closure. There were other changes, too, such as air traffic restrictions after a small plane crashed into the White House lawn in 1994. As well, gunfire twice hit the mansion that same year.

Then-President Bill Clinton said closing the street was necessary to protect against the kind of attack seen in Oklahoma City but vowed that “people's access to the White House and their president” would not be impeded. He even vowed that protesters would still have the right to walk up to the White House property. Many still do.
A radicalized person would be more empowered by those above changes as a result of political violence. ‘Society was altered then, and it will be again on ‘my’ account’.

TC could have been following every detail. He could have craftily acted on things that were already a point of contention⬇️

In April-“A prominent House Democrat has introduced new legislation that would strip felons of Secret Service protection, specifically mentioning former President Donald Trump in case he's convicted in one or more of his criminal trials”

ETA: the administration may use this as an excuse. It doesn’t apply here because it didn’t happen.

Last edited:
Rep. Ron Johnson - Preliminary Findings In the Investigation Into the Attempted Assassination of President Trump

Includes Preliminary Findings, Timeline, Important Questions, and Citations

Wow, thank you that find. My jaw dropped when I started reading #5 - Secret Service was initially not going to send snipers to the rally, according to local law enforcement. I think the individual SS personel surrounding Trump are innocent from wrong doing, but I have to strongly question the ones in command. This is beginning to go from "we are short staffed" to we didn't really pay enough attention, nor did we care. JMO

I haven't posted on this thread, for various reasons, primarily because I avoid any threads that have even a whiff of being potentially political, because I abhor what politics in the US has become today. However, I have been watching and reading avidly since Butler, PA is my hometown. Although I live in Pittsburgh now, I was on my way there that evening for something else that night, in the city/downtown. As I was about halfway there, my phone started just blowing up with texts from friends and family in the area. Like many of you, I am appalled and flabbergasted at what transpired that day, the failures, and the multiple opportunities that there were to have nipped this in the bud before this became a tragedy.

After reading articles from multiple places and the really good analysis and questions posed here by our ever-savvy sleuthers, I am in the camp that the failures and circumstances of the event lie squarely on the shoulders of the SS, who was responsible for 2 key elements that could have made a difference (all IMHO):

1. Designating the Perimeter - To me, this was the first and biggest failure of security that occurred, given the range of the weapon used and rifles available to pretty much every citizen in the US today. How could buildings within shooting range of the stage where Trump was going to be NOT considered in the inner perimeter, especially since there was clearly an ability to get up on to a rooftop using an AC unit? I can see if the only way to get up on the roof (if say, the building was 10 stories) was through the building, that securing any entrances would be enough, but that clearly wasn't the case. While it's true that Butler County is Trump Country and he is beloved there, no place is immune from a disgruntled lone gunman.

2. Communications/Chain of Command Confusion - Although less is known about what exactly the chain of command and ability of local police to reach and be heard by the SS teams, it seems to me that the delays from when the shooter was spotted at every point were either not taken seriously or not communicated to those who could do something about it until it was too late. Arrrgh! There were SO many opportunities to have stopped the shooter. For once, this might have been the time to act in the "Shoot First, Ask Questions Later" mode, that LE is criticized (sometimes rightfully) for in circumstances where it isn't even warranted. Heck, how about we just ask Thomas Crook some questions in a friendly manner, "Hey son, what are you doing? What's in the bag? Why do you have that range finder? Can we see some ID?" [This one I am going to criticize local LE for - let's, you know, err on the side of caution here people!] I think that had that happened, it might have been enough to spook Crooks, and we would all be reading about a man being questioned and let go or perhaps found with a gun instead of what transpired.

On that point of Communications....were the SS dismissive of any warnings from local LE, thinking "What do these small-time cops know about anything?" ... or was there some chain of communications that bounced from person to person to person that required escalation that ultimately delayed everything?

I admit that of course I could be biased in favor of the LE in my little hometown, but I do hope that some answers will be forthcoming in the upcoming hearings and there is accountability for the failures that occurred.

And just because, I'll share some good tidbits about Butler, PA. It was an amazing, safe, and wonderful place to grow up, full of great people - and also, the birthplace of the Jeep: Butler | Butler County Tourism & Convention Bureau
It is not easy for towns to provide security for national figures and the costs and charges were an issue even when DJT was Pres. :
1721597480377.png

Bedminster passed this test to get reimbursed for Trump ...​

1721597480418.png
NJ.com
https://www.nj.com › politics › 2017/07 › bedminster_...

and there were cost issues with bills as well:

Jul 19, 2017 — The federal government will reimburse certain localities for added security expenses when the president visits.

Trump charged Secret Service over $10K in May after ...

1721597387858.png
USA Today
https://www.usatoday.com › news › politics › 2021/07/08

Jul 8, 2021 — Donald Trump has charged Secret Service over $10,000 for security at Bedminster resort · Since he left office, the Secret Service has paid more ...
1721597387897.png

$650 a night at Mar-a-Lago, $17000 a month at Bedminster​

1721597387931.png
The Seattle Times
https://www.seattletimes.com › nation-world › secret-ser...

Feb 7, 2020 — President Donald Trump has an unprecedented — and largely hidden — business relationship with his own government. Trump's company says it ...

WOW just wow.

I have a feeling Cheatle may be a no show.

How do you esplan ( not the right speelen)this.?

I just don’t know what to think.

She will probably claim that ‘she didn’t know or approve this’ to lessen the initial impact but it’s just as incriminating.

She hasn’t shown direct remorse to Trump, the injured or to Corey’s family (unless I have missed it). Regardless, she needs to go.

Last edited:
Rep. Ron Johnson - Preliminary Findings In the Investigation Into the Attempted Assassination of President Trump

July 13, 2024—Day of Trump Rally (Snipped)
  • 9:00am—Butler ESU holds a briefing for the local SWAT and Sniper units from ButlerCounty, Beaver County, and Washington County providing security for the event.
  • At the briefing Butler ESU provides a 46-page slide deck which outlines: Areas of responsibility for each local unit; and Staging locations, including sniper locations, for each local unit and theSecret Service.
  • According to attendees of the briefing, no Secret Service or other federal lawenforcement is present for this briefing.
  • According to attendees of the briefing, Secret Service had not initially intended to provide sniper units, changed course for unclear reasons.
  • Butler ESU’s briefing includes an outline of the security perimeter for the eventand areas of responsibility.
  • 9:27am—Thomas Matthew Crooks, the alleged shooter, enters a Home Depot located inBethel Park, PA. CCTV footage of the Home Depot reportedly shows the shooter entering alone.
  • 9:41am—Crooks purchases a 5.5 FT Aluminum Dual Platform ladder.
  • 9:42am—Crooks exits the Home Depot. CCTV footage of the Home Depot parking lot reportedly captures Crooks exiting the lot by vehicle. The footage could not identify the make/model of the vehicle.
  • 10:30am—Two local law enforcement snipers are in position on the second floor insidethe American Glass Research (AGR) building.
  • 5:10pm—Crooks is first observed by one of the snipers (AGR sniper 1) at the AGRbuilding.
  • 5:14pm—AGR sniper 1 takes the below pictures of Crooks.
  • 5:28pm—AGR sniper 1 takes the below picture of a bicycle and what appears to be twobags located near the AGR building. It is unclear what happened to the bicycle and bag safter July 13, 2024.
  • 5:32pm—AGR sniper 1 spots Crooks looking at his phone and using a rangefinder.
  • 5:38pm—AGR sniper 1 sends a message to the “Sniper Group” about Crooks.
  • 5:40pm—AGR sniper 1 is told to “call into command” regarding Crooks.
  • 5:41pm—AGR sniper 1 calls into command and provides a description of Crooks andthe rangefinder, as well as that Crooks was “lurking around [the] AGR building.”
  • 5:49pm—Photos of Crooks are sent to Butler ESU Command.
  • 5:55pm—Butler ESU Command confirms receipt of the photos and states they have beenrelayed on.
  • 5:59pm—Butler ESU Command asks for the direction that Crooks is traveling. AGRsniper 1 is initially unsure of the direction Crooks is traveling.
  • 6:05pm—AGR sniper 1 later communicates that Crooks is seen moving northeast “in thedirection of Sheetz” and that Crooks has a backpack.
  • 6:06-6:12pm—AGR sniper 1 goes to ground floor of the building to meet local lawenforcement patrol to alert them to Crooks presence.
  • Approx. 6:11pm—Crooks begins shooting. Secret Service reportedly return fire and Crooks is killed.
  • 6:23pm—Beaver County SWAT operators access the roof where Crooks is located and confirm Crooks is deceased. According to those SWAT operators, there was local law enforcement from another county and at least one Secret Service agent, wearing a suit, also on theroof.
  • 6:46pm—Crooks is patted down. Law enforcement reportedly finds a transmitter device, Crooks phone, and the rangefinder in Crooks pockets.
  • 7:45pm-7:46pm—At the request of Allegheny Bomb Squad, local law enforcement text pictures of Crooks and the items near his body to a phone number with a 215 area code (from the Philadelphia area) associated with an ATF agent. ATF reportedly is using thepictures of Crooks to run facial recognition.

The SS also alluded to a scheduled presidential visit to the LBJ Library at UT Austin on the Monday following the shooting. Apparently they were also trying to secure the Austin event. (I don't know what's all involved. Just putting this out there because it was mentioned by the SS. They were also in the process of securing the RNC). I know UT Austin is a probably a very difficult venue to secure. The visit was official business. Fundraiser following was probably easier to secure. Biden cancelled his visit.

Hundreds of agents were already in Milwaukee for the RNC also. I would think the RNC would also require a hefty amount of manpower. So, these are other events where SS was allocated.

The weekend of the Butler shooting, the Secret Service had sent multiple countersniper teams and hundreds of agents to the Republican National Convention and was also securing an event by Jill Biden and a scheduled trip by President Biden to Austin the day after the shooting.

Last edited:

Looks like Johnson's staff did the best they could with limited access, but I will be looking forward to the FBI's fully documented professional investigative report for answers. There isn't any question that the security plan failed and that Secret Service accepts responsibility for the failure. What we need now is an accurate understanding how Crooks was able to get on that roof with a gun. As is evident from the Johnson staff's report and this thread, too many questions remain unanswered at this point for the public to be reassured.

How did Crooks get a car and a bicycle to the site? Drive the bike there and use it to look around?
We still don't know if the bicycle belongs to him, as the report is asking if it does. His car was apparently parked in the lot, and I imagine he walked or rode his bike to the venue itself. The fact that we haven't heard anything about this bike, makes me think it doesn't belong to him. I also don't think that van that's ben mentioned belongs to him either.

She will probably claim that ‘she didn’t know or approve this’ to lessen the initial impact but it’s just as incriminating.

She hasn’t shown direct remorse to Trump, the injured or to Corey’s family (unless I have missed it). Regardless, she needs to go.
actually she did FWIW:

We still don't know if the bicycle belongs to him, as the report is asking if it does. His car was apparently parked in the lot, and I imagine he walked or rode his bike to the venue itself. The fact that we haven't heard anything about this bike, makes me think it doesn't belong to him. I also don't think that van that's ben mentioned belongs to him either.
car, gun, range finder, ammo, drone, bomb, detonator, ladder (?) ... with or without the bicycle, he had a lot of stuff to tote around...

Thank you, @Mica, for posting this.

I’m unfamiliar with this Senator Ron Johnson from Wisconsin, but I applaud him for his diligence in trying to ascertain how this happened, as well as for listing some very vital questions that remain.

With gratitude as well for Sen. Johnson’s being transparent with the public.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back