PA - Babysitter murders infant boy and abuses his twin brother - June 24, 2024

A Ph.D. student is accused of murdering an infant boy and abusing his twin brother while babysitting for a family friend in Pittsburgh.

View attachment 513025
Studying clinical psychology. So, she's probably one of those. That subset of psychology students who develop an interest in the mind because they suspect that deep inside, they aren't normal.

Only someone wired wrong could do this to two so completely helpless children.

The genital injuries of one of the children really bothers me. That suggests a sexual component that is very extreme. A basic shaken baby case, this ain't.

MOO

Studying clinical psychology. So, she's probably one of those. That subset of psychology students who develop an interest in the mind because they suspect that deep inside, they aren't normal.

Only someone wired wrong could do this to two so completely helpless children.

The genital injuries of one of the children really bothers me. That suggests a sexual component that is very extreme. A basic shaken baby case, this ain't.

MOO
I find some of these resports so disgusting I have a hard time reading them. Thanks for your insight.

She has been denied bail and is due for a preliminary hearing on June 28.
Ph.D. Student Visiting Friend During School Break Is Accused of Murdering Baby, Abusing Slain Child's Twin

The researcher daughter of a prominent Manhattan cardiologist has been accused of murdering the infant twin son of one of her closest friends.
PhD student accused of murdering close friend’s newborn baby, abusing tot’s twin is daughter of prominent NYC cardiologist

After being entrusted with the two infants, Virzi was arrested and charged with the murder of six-and-a-half-week old Leon at his home in Pittsburgh, on what was his dad's first Father's Day -- and his parents' first wedding anniversary.
Ph.D student accused of killing baby talked depression before attack

After being entrusted with the two infants, Virzi was arrested and charged with the murder of six-and-a-half-week old Leon at his home in Pittsburgh, on what was his dad's first Father's Day -- and his parents' first wedding anniversary.
Ph.D student accused of killing baby talked depression before attack

What a beautiful photo of the family in that article. Sincere condolences for their loss.

Real psychiatrists (unlike her) could study her (along with Lucy Letby. She seems a similar type to LL, IMO.)

Nicole Virzi, 29, was babysitting her close friend’s six-week-old baby, Leon Katz, at his home in Pittsburgh when the child suffered a fractured skull and brain bleeding, authorities told local station WTAE reported. :mad:

Virzi had been watching the infant while her friend, who was not identified in the report, took little Leon’s twin brother to a hospital with an injury to his gentitals, according to police. :mad:

Virzi, who is reportedly a clinical psychology candidate in UC San Diego’s Joint Doctoral Program, allegedly caused the genital injury too, according to cops :mad:
PhD student accused of horrifically killing friend’s newborn baby after assaulting tot’s twin. :mad:

As a parent of twins, I am heartbroken for the parents of Leon and Ari. It is so hard to imagine that someone could do this. Just because Nicole Virzi does not have a criminal background and is well educated does not mean she isn't capable of doing this.

Both infants were found to have severe and separate injuries under her care and doctors' found that neither of the injuries were accidental. I imagine the defense is going to assert that the genital injury to Ari happened prior under the care of one of the parents or daycare (if they were in daycare) and that Leon suffered an accidental fall under Nicole's care.

MOO, This is one of my theories of what happened. Nicole abused Ari (and possibly Leon as well) while the parents were at dinner. Nicole may have been jealous of her friend's (who also was a doctoral student) new life with a husband and babies...something she didn't have herself or something she wasn't capable of having due to "interpersonal issues" (see link) and it annoyed and agitated her greatly. When Nicole's torture of Ari became noticeable (or she realized her retaliation went too far), she decided to call the parents because it would be obvious that she did it if she had not called to report it. At least, with reporting it, it could take suspicion off her that it wasn't abuse and a medical issue or it happened prior to him being under her care and someone else did it. The injury to the genitals was severe enough it warranted a visit to the ER. After the parents left to bring Ari to the hospital, Nicole got worked up playing out the possibilities in her head of how this could turn out for her. The parents would find out from the ER doctor that it was abuse, and she most likely was soon going to be under unsurmountable suspicion. The other baby, Leon, may also have started presenting with symptoms of injury after the parents left for the hospital. She became enraged because everything she has worked for is now gone. Her life was now ruined. Nicole in a fit of rage lashed out at the other baby because if she hadn't been babysitting, if it hadn't have been for these babies, this would have never happened to her. Baby Leon became unresponsive. Nicole then went into damage control mode and concocted the story that the baby accidentally fell out of the bouncy seat and she called 911.

My other theory would be if someone else is involved like a half sibling of the babies, but none of the news articles have mentioned a sibling or anyone else being present at the time.

In the link, it states that Nicole fell asleep briefly. Did she fall asleep with the baby and while sleeping forgot where she was and thought the baby was a cat or dog and pushed the baby off of her or away from her thinking it was a pet which then caused a catastrophic fall from the couch with the baby hitting a coffee table on the way to the floor? Instead of admitting that she fell asleep with the baby and pushed him away, did she feel less culpability would be placed on her if she said he was in the bouncy seat and fell?

With two injuries discovered under her care especially one to the genitals, it is highly unlikely that both are coincidence.

I hope justice is found for baby Leon and Ari.

You know.... I babysat twins once. They were perfectly nice, normal babies, but having to do two of everything was too much for me and I didn't do it again. I also, while still being overwhelmed, managed to keep from injuring so much as a hair on their little heads. I did not find this achievement to be particularly difficult. Why on earth was that so hard for this woman???? I just don't grasp why she agreed to watch the children if it was going to be this difficult for her.

As a parent of twins, I am heartbroken for the parents of Leon and Ari. It is so hard to imagine that someone could do this. Just because Nicole Virzi does not have a criminal background and is well educated does not mean she isn't capable of doing this.

Both infants were found to have severe and separate injuries under her care and doctors' found that neither of the injuries were accidental. I imagine the defense is going to assert that the genital injury to Ari happened prior under the care of one of the parents or daycare (if they were in daycare) and that Leon suffered an accidental fall under Nicole's care.

MOO, This is one of my theories of what happened. Nicole abused Ari (and possibly Leon as well) while the parents were at dinner. Nicole may have been jealous of her friend's (who also was a doctoral student) new life with a husband and babies...something she didn't have herself or something she wasn't capable of having due to "interpersonal issues" (see link) and it annoyed and agitated her greatly. When Nicole's torture of Ari became noticeable (or she realized her retaliation went too far), she decided to call the parents because it would be obvious that she did it if she had not called to report it. At least, with reporting it, it could take suspicion off her that it wasn't abuse and a medical issue or it happened prior to him being under her care and someone else did it. The injury to the genitals was severe enough it warranted a visit to the ER. After the parents left to bring Ari to the hospital, Nicole got worked up playing out the possibilities in her head of how this could turn out for her. The parents would find out from the ER doctor that it was abuse, and she most likely was soon going to be under unsurmountable suspicion. The other baby, Leon, may also have started presenting with symptoms of injury after the parents left for the hospital. She became enraged because everything she has worked for is now gone. Her life was now ruined. Nicole in a fit of rage lashed out at the other baby because if she hadn't been babysitting, if it hadn't have been for these babies, this would have never happened to her. Baby Leon became unresponsive. Nicole then went into damage control mode and concocted the story that the baby accidentally fell out of the bouncy seat and she called 911.

My other theory would be if someone else is involved like a half sibling of the babies, but none of the news articles have mentioned a sibling or anyone else being present at the time.

In the link, it states that Nicole fell asleep briefly. Did she fall asleep with the baby and while sleeping forgot where she was and thought the baby was a cat or dog and pushed the baby off of her or away from her thinking it was a pet which then caused a catastrophic fall from the couch with the baby hitting a coffee table on the way to the floor? Instead of admitting that she fell asleep with the baby and pushed him away, did she feel less culpability would be placed on her if she said he was in the bouncy seat and fell?

With two injuries discovered under her care especially one to the genitals, it is highly unlikely that both are coincidence.

I hope justice is found for baby Leon and Ari.
aren't these new borns? you cannot put a new born in a bouncy seat IMO

aren't these new borns? you cannot put a new born in a bouncy seat IMO
Yes, baby bouncer seats are reclined seats for 0 months+, not to be confused with a jumper seat. Search for baby bouncer seat online and you will see several manufacturers offering seats for 0+ months. I used bouncer seats when my twins were newborns. Yes, you can put a newborn in a bouncer seat. The bouncer seat needs to only be placed on a floor, not on a table or counter or anywhere elevated. Also a baby should not be left unattended in a bouncer seat.

Last edited:
You know.... I babysat twins once. They were perfectly nice, normal babies, but having to do two of everything was too much for me and I didn't do it again. I also, while still being overwhelmed, managed to keep from injuring so much as a hair on their little heads. I did not find this achievement to be particularly difficult. Why on earth was that so hard for this woman???? I just don't grasp why she agreed to watch the children if it was going to be this difficult for her.
Caring for twin infants is difficult, but not once did I ever thinking of harming my twins. I could see how it could be very stressful for someone who isn't used to caring for a baby and isn't the parent. I don't see how anyone could harm a baby either. I would like to know if this was the first time Nicole was asked to babysit or if she had already been babysitting for them. How long was Nicole planning to be in town for? She had a short term rental. Did she visit thinking she was going to be spending quality time with her friend, only to have all of her friend time revolving around the babies and being asked to babysit instead? Was there a love triangle going on? None of this excuses the abuse, but what was her motive?

What a disturbing, and local, case. The article title is misleading, as she didn’t say she was depressed. Not that depression makes a person homicidal anyhow. But that’s where I thought they might be going with the article.

“Heart and Mind academic journal on June 13, Virzi is wearing a white blazer and comes off well-spoken as she delves into how somatic symptoms of depression in women can lead to risks of heart disease.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rouark50
Back