PA - Babysitter murders infant boy and abuses his twin brother - June 24, 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If she’s entering a plea of Guilty, why did her attorney bother to say all that stuff about the public not understanding what actually occurred, etc.?

And how does this fit with a guilty plea?
Virzi denies any wrongdoing, her attorney said.
Is this the same as saying don’t try her in the court of public opinion? Too late. 6 week old babies don’t jump out of their bouncy seat if they are appropriately buckled in, and if they should wiggle out of the reclined seat they can’t possibly fracture their skull if the seat is placed on the floor. Not to mention poor little AK having an injury to his genitals that was serious enough to need Emergency Care. Newborn babies are tougher than they appear, they very seldom hurt themselves seriously. Almost all healthy infants who show up in the ER with serious injuries were harmed by another person, usually an adult who was responsible for their care and well being.

I’m guessing the State isn’t offering to reduce the charges due to the serious nature of the injuries to both babies. She may have been able to convince the Prosecutor that injuries to one baby was a tragic accident, but two babies who were healthy when the parents left them in her care, probably not. So now she is such a great friend she is going to plead guilty so her dear besties who trusted her with their precious twins, don’t have to hear what she did. I seldom believe one is as altruistic as they think they are, when they spare victims & witnesses from testifying, or listening to evidence. Honestly I believe the accused doesn’t want anyone to hear the facts of their crimes because they know how bad they will look to everyone.

Do they offer an Alfred Plea or No Contest in Pennsylvania?

MOO

If she’s entering a plea of Guilty, why did her attorney bother to say all that stuff about the public not understanding what actually occurred, etc.?

And how does this fit with a guilty plea?
Virzi denies any wrongdoing, her attorney said.

Agree....
Is the article misquoting???
I dunno

No way do I believe she'll plead guilty. I imagine her father will help with her legal expenses and she has an excellent criminal attorney. I'm not saying she is innocent, but I do think she'll fight this in court. Depends a lot on the evidence how it turns out. All MOO

From Super Lawyers-- "earned him several accolades, including being listed in The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100; holding an Avvo “Superb” rating; and being listed in the American Institute of DUI/DWI Attorneys’ 10 Best. Mr. Shrager is a member of the Pennsylvania …"

Virzi, a graduate of Pepperdine University who holds a graduate degree in clinical psychology from San Diego State, grew up in the tristate area, the daughter of Dr. Peter J. Virzi, a highly-respected cardiologist affiliated with Mt. Sinai Doctors in Manhattan.

“I have no words,” a friend and colleague of Virzi’s told The Post Saturday. “I am absolutely shocked. I had no idea.”

The friend said she did not know Virzi to be violent but said noted she “had some interpersonal issues. I would say she was a little rigid. She was nice. But very driven and motivated.”

[...]

Virzi’s attorney David Shrager told The Post Saturday his client was innocent, and planned to plead not guilty.

Last edited:
The exact reason not a single person has been allowed to watch my baby. <modsnip>
I don't have children, but I totally get that. My sister didn't let anyone babysit her boys except their grandparents and me, people she had known all her life and seen react responsibly in all kinds of situations, including very stressful ones.

Probably Virzi's preferred pronoun.
Maybe the media was being inclusive, here are her pronouns, per her page.

Closeup of Nicole Virzi

NICOLE VIRZI, M.S.​

Pronouns: she, her, hers

Doctoral Student
2019-Present
SDSU / UC San Diego Joint Doctoral Program in Clinical Psychology
Behavioral Medicine
San Diego

Virzi remains in the Allegheny County Jail. Her formal arraignment is set for Aug. 23. That's when the case will be assigned to a judge and she'll enter her plea.

Authorities charge that Virzi is responsible for the severe skull fracture that took the life of 6.5-week-old Leon Katz last month. Police wrote in the criminal complaint that a CT scan showed a fracture to the left side of the head, as well as several brain bleeds.

In the criminal complaint, police recounted that Virzi was babysitting infant Leon Katz inside the parents' apartment in the 6000 block of Walnut Street in Shadyside while the parents had taken the baby's twin brother to UPMC Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh due to injuries to that twin's genital area pointed out by Virzi.

Virzi remains in the Allegheny County Jail. Her formal arraignment is set for Aug. 23. That's when the case will be assigned to a judge and she'll enter her plea.

Authorities charge that Virzi is responsible for the severe skull fracture that took the life of 6.5-week-old Leon Katz last month. Police wrote in the criminal complaint that a CT scan showed a fracture to the left side of the head, as well as several brain bleeds.

In the criminal complaint, police recounted that Virzi was babysitting infant Leon Katz inside the parents' apartment in the 6000 block of Walnut Street in Shadyside while the parents had taken the baby's twin brother to UPMC Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh due to injuries to that twin's genital area pointed out by Virzi.
It’s really unbelievable. Here one twin is injured and the parents rush to Children’s Hospital, only to have the other twin fatally injured while they’re gone. These were supposedly dear friends of hers. It seems bizarre that with her academic future she would behave in such a catastrophic way.

So her attorneys assert that the doctor’s assessment is incorrect?

In the criminal complaint, police write that Virzi was babysitting infant Leon Katz inside the parents' apartment in the 6,000 block of Walnut Street in Shadyside while the parents had taken the baby's twin brother to UPMC Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh due to injuries to that twin's genital area pointed out by Virzi.

"The injuries sustained by both (twins are) consistent with having been sustained as a result of child abuse, as these are inflicted injuries that are not natural and not accidental," a doctor informed detectives, according to the criminal complaint.

"Our client denies these allegations. She is a loving person and a friend to these people and would never harm anyone's child, let alone theirs," Shrager said.

https://www.wtae.com/article/erie-missing-baby-pittsburgh/61731350
Virzi told police she had gone in the family's kitchen to get a baby bottle and heard the baby screaming. She told police that when she returned, the baby was on the floor and out of a bouncer seat.

She called 911. She told police she was the one who observed the injury to the other twin earlier, and notified the parents.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back