PA PA - Bedford, 'Mr. Bones' WhtMale 30-35, 585UMPA, 30-06 rifle, gold dental wk, camping equip, Oct'58

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I found listings in the Chicago area newspapers for three optometrists who did contacts.

Dr George and Ivan Meyer
1471 Elinwood
Des Plaines, Ill
contact lenses 1956

Dr. Lloyd W Kinsey
18 North Grove
Elgin, Ill

Dr. VJ Bavetta, former marine, had office in Elmhurst for 9 yrs opened an office in
Hoffman Estates medical building Dec 1, 1957

Beyond Belief said:
I found listings in the Chicago area newspapers for three optometrists who did contacts....
Great work finding something so old. The case officer knows who the optometrist was, but he did not give me a name when I spoke with him. By the time an investigator got out to Chicago area to locate the doctor, he learned that the doctor had died. He did locate the doctor's wife, but she stated that her husband had sold his business/practice (along with all patient records) before his retirement and death. Further investigation determined that the new owners of the practice did not have the records.

If we can determine more about the doctor, perhaps a link might be made. For instance, it is interesting that one was a former Marine. Where did you learn that information? If he was an officer, there will be more information available on him through the officer records. My guess is that he became an optometrist AFTER leaving the Marine Corps, as the Marines do not have their own doctors. They are served by Navy medical officers and corpsmen.

This probably means nothing, but....
I found an article in the Morgantown (WV) Post from April of '58, which states that A.L. Lipscomb left his home in Elkins, WV, on March 7th to go hunting and had not been seen since.
No age was given, or where he planned to hunt. Elkins is 140 miles from Bedford, but the date is right (what is in season in March?)

I was digging around in ancestry.com. I also followed a lead on a missing youth, but finally found him online so he turned up. That W Va is interesting. I did find a piece on a six day bear hunting season in pa, but that was November, after the body was found. Searching the papers is a very slow process. I found nothing mentioning the discovery of the man in the papers. At least not yet.

By any chance was the doctors town mentioned. I think thats where we need to look.

The marine was a mention in a newspaper article, annoucing the opening of his new office.

Beyond Belief said:
... By any chance was the doctors town mentioned. I think thats where we need to look.
The marine was a mention in a newspaper article, annoucing the opening of his new office.
I was told that the doctor was in Chicago or a town near Chicago. Definitely that part of Illinois.

I wonder if this doctor may have served with "Mr. Bones" in the Marine Corps.

Another possibility....

In July of '57, the family of John William McGinty reported him missing from Charleroi, PA. Charleroi is about 90 miles from Bedford.
McGinty was reported as about 6', 200 pounds, with brown hair and eyes.
His family stated he was worried about his on-going lack of work.
He was a truck driver.
He also wore glasses.
I'm trying to find more, but as with most searches of this kind the archives are very "hit or miss".

Do we have an age for him or a relatives name? I found one in the 1930 census age 13, but found nothing so far in the social security listings.

Beyond Belief said:
Do we have an age for him or a relatives name? I found one in the 1930 census age 13, but found nothing so far in the social security listings.
Forgot to mention he was 40 at the time (putting his birth year in '17-'18). That's all I've found so far. You know the archives sometimes, maddening in their lack of detail.

that 13 yr old is probably him then, he would have been born in 17. i'll go back and see if theres any social with that birth time frame.

Found that one easy. John Mc* 15022 Charleroi, Washington, Pennsylvania, United States of AmericaBorn:7 Mar 1917Died:Oct 1964

You know thats the 7 yr time line when someone is missing to have them declared legally dead. I wonder if he really died or they had him declared dead after the 7 years.

I found a record of a John McGinty, born March '17, with a date of death of Oct '64 in Charleroi...This would have to be him, I think. I'm assuming his family had him declared dead 7 years after he went missing.

**Hey, no fair, BB, you type faster than I do!

Well, that means he's still a possibility, I suppose. I had also found another man who went missing in the area around the same time, but thinking I had already noted it I failed to write it down. :doh: Back to the archives for a moment...

Hes not a possibility, I just read his obit, he died saturday morning at 9 fifteen.

Richard,

This is part of a thread I have been working on with Shadowangel. I think it could certainly be helpful in identifying the area Mr. Bones was from. It seems the older the bones the more likely this method would be helpful. Will you pass this info on to your contact in PA.

(My post to Shadowangel)

I wonder how rare it is to use Strontium Isotope Analysis in helping to identifying older remains in cold cases. This is something new I have been studying.

Because dentition forms during childhood, the strontium found in tooth enamel will generally reflect where that individual was born and raised. In contrast, bones continue to absorb strontium, and can reveal where that individual spent the last years of his or her life. If the two differ, researchers can suggest that a person spent their childhood in one locale and migrated (or were taken) to another region later in life.

A combination of both methods, DNA & Strontium Isotope Analysis, would narrow the search area for identifying bodies. Once an area of probable residence was concluded then the state could be saturated with information on the missing person.

I am going to research institutions using this method in archeological digs. They may have a database and need more bodies to add to it. If LE and these institutions could hook up on some of the identified bodies it would certainly enhance their database and someday the DNA and SIA databases could work together to help identify bodies more quickly.

I will email: Kelly J. Knudson at Arizona State University and Dr. Drew Coleman at University of North Carolina concerning Strontium Isotope Analysis today.

I'll post any replies I receive.

(The next post will contain the responces I received)

Response #1 Dr. Drew Coleman UNC Chapel Hill

It has the potential to work well. It gets more complicated for recent
remains because so much of our dietary intake doesn't come from local
sources.
  1. Do you have a Strontium Isotope database at The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and if so, what regional areas are maintained in the database?
    Not as such. We have many analyses, but they belong to the individual investigators who have paid for them. Most are published fairly rapidly, so they could be mined from the literature. The bulk of our work is from ancient European and Middle Eastern individuals. We have only recently been involved in modern forensic cases and those results are confidential.
  2. Do you know of other Strontium Isotope databases being maintained at other Universities?
    I do not. However, if I was looking for such a thing, I would begin with Doug Price at Wisconsin.
  3. Are you excepting identified human data sources at this time to add to your database?
    We're happy to do analyses.
  4. Do you except private samples for Strontium Isotope Analysis?
    Absolutely. We can make recommendations about what to analyze the more we know about the question to be answered.
  5. What is the cost to have a private sample tested?
    $75 a sample assuming we do all the work.

Please let me know if you need any additional information.
Response #2 Dr. Kelly Knudson Arizona State University

Dear Ms. Smith,
Thanks for your interest in strontium isotope analysis. Unfortunately,
it is not always very helpful for modern populations. This is because
the strontium isotope signature in human bones and tooth enamel comes
from the food you eat. If you eat food from the region where you were
living, you will have the local geologic strontium isotope signature in
your bones and teeth. However, most people now eat foods that were grown
in a wide variety of geologic regions, so their strontium isotope
signatures are a mixture of many different regions and can't be used to
track mobility or movement between different geologic zones.

We don't have a strontium isotope database though we are looking into setting one up at ASU in the next couple of years. Labs charge $200-500 per sample for strontium isotope analysis. The geologic literature in the United States would be the place to look for regional strontium isotope signatures. I
work mostly in South America, so I don't know as much about the
signatures in the United States.

Hope this helps!

I think for Mr Bones' timeframe, this might be an excellent investigative tool. Foods were more "regional" at this time, it may be possible to narrow down the area that he was living in prior to his death.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back