PA PA - Bedford, 'Mr. Bones' WhtMale 30-35, 585UMPA, 30-06 rifle, gold dental wk, camping equip, Oct'58

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hollow said:
This is so weird that I stumbled on this looking for something else, and it probably isn't " Mr Bones" but I just had to post this....

Poet and Writer
Weldon Kees
disappeared on July 18, 1955

He had divorced his wife, Ann Swan, in 1952. His car was found on a road leading to the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco.

http://mockingbird.creighton.edu/NCW/kees.htm

http://chronicle.com/free/v49/i40/40a01401.htm
I think it's really odd because Mr Kees isn't located on any missing persons data-bases, yet there is a wealth of information about him all over the web.

In the first link I posted above, in the second picture of Kees, he appears very tall, I think. It would be crazy if this was him, talk about hiding in plain sight. In the second article I linked, it says one of Kee's friends said he became obsessed with a book about suicide near the time he disappeared.

Hollow said:
In the first link I posted above, in the second picture of Kees, he appears very tall, I think. It would be crazy if this was him, talk about hiding in plain sight. In the second article I linked, it says one of Kee's friends said he became obsessed with a book about suicide near the time he disappeared.
This information about Kees is very interesting. He certainly seems to fit certain characteristics of Mr. Bones - such as his love of poetry and phylosophy, and his "free spirit" traveling. Also the fact that he had lived in New York at one time. Also noted is the depression and thoughts of going away, and of suicide.

I looked in my copy of "Reading Poems" (one of the books found in Mr. Bones' backpack) to see if any of the mentioned poets or authors were included. The only one I could find was Hart Crane. Two of his poems, titled Voyages I and Voyages II are in the book. It was said in one of your links that Kees wanted to get away to Mexico much like Hart Crane.

Weldon would have been about 42 in Spring of 1958 - which is the best estimate for Mr. Bones' death. Not too far out side the age estimate.

Weldon Kees car being found near the Golden Gate Bridge might indicate that he actually jumped from the bridge in 1955. But it is also possible that he staged his death in order to "get away". I wonder if he was into high-power rifles (like Hemingway) or motorcycles?

He was also a Boy Scout.

Ann and I are together again and have a remarkably cool apartment on lower Fifth Avenue & 10th street. New York.

When his best friend checked his apartment after the disappearance, everything was as the frined had last seen it...There were even socks soaking in the sink. The only things found to be missing were Kees' savings account book and his sleeping bag.

shadowangel said:
When his best friend checked his apartment after the disappearance, everything was as the frined had last seen it...There were even socks soaking in the sink. The only things found to be missing were Kees' savings account book and his sleeping bag.
Was that in California, or in New York City?

California. Kees lived in New York from '43 to '50, then moved back to San Francisco.

from Wikpedia:

Kees was born in Beatrice, Nebraska and educated at Doane college, the University of Missouri, and the University of Nebraska, graduating in 1935. He was involved in many ventures before becoming prey to mental illness.
His first book of poems "the Last Man" (1940) was a hit. He moved to New York City and began attending parties with literary critics like Edmund Wilson and Lionel Trilling, but he never felt comfortable in that society.
Then he began to paint and some of his works hung alongside Picasso in an exhibition at the Whitney. Wearied of New York, he moved to San Francisco, where he began making experimental films and he got involved with The Beat Scene.......

from Wikpedia:

....On July 19, 1955 Kee's Plymouth Savoy was found on the North side of the Golden Gate Bridge with the keys in the ignition. When his friends went to search his apartment, all they found were the cat he named " Lonesome " and a pair of red socks in the sink. His sleeping bag and savings account book were missing. He left no note. No one is sure if Kees jumped off the Golden Gate Bridge that day or if he went to Mexico.
Before he disappeared, Kees quoted Rilke to friend Michael Grieg ominously saying that sometimes a person needs to change his life completely.

from Wikpedia:

Kees wrote for Federal Writers Project in Lincoln, Nebraska. He moved to Denver and a job as a librarian in 1937, where he married.He was in New York from 1943 to 1950, heavily involved in literary journalism. From 1950 to his presumed death in 1955 he was in San Francisco.
Through the 1930s Kees wrote mostly short stories, placing them in the little magazines and intellectual quarterlies (Prairie Schooner, Horizon, Rocky Mountain Review) He continued to write fiction after leaving The Federal Writers Project for a job as a librarian in Denver.In October, 1937 at the age of 24 he married Ann Swan. His reputation as a writer of fiction continued to grow. a novel, Fall Quarter, was completed in 1941, but it's whimsical tale of a young professor who battles the dreariness of staid Nebraskan college life was thought by publishers to be too droll for a year in which war seemed imminent. (it was eventually published in 1990)

from Wikpedia:

Kees moved to Manhattan in 1943, his first book of poems, The Last Man, was published in 1943. He worked briefly for Time but was laid off in an employee reduction.( " Just being away from Whittaker Chambers " he wrote to Malcolm Cowley " makes one feel like a new man ") His circle expanded to include Edmund Wilson, Allen Tate, Horace Gregory, Dwight McDonald, and Philip Rahv, and his writing began to appear in a variety of publications, not only Time, but also the New York Times, The New Republic, Partisan review, as well as Poetry and Furioso.

Yaya said:
Response #1 Dr. Drew Coleman UNC Chapel Hill

It has the potential to work well. It gets more complicated for recent
remains because so much of our dietary intake doesn't come from local
sources.
  1. Do you have a Strontium Isotope database at The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and if so, what regional areas are maintained in the database?
    Not as such. We have many analyses, but they belong to the individual investigators who have paid for them. Most are published fairly rapidly, so they could be mined from the literature. The bulk of our work is from ancient European and Middle Eastern individuals. We have only recently been involved in modern forensic cases and those results are confidential.
  2. Do you know of other Strontium Isotope databases being maintained at other Universities?
    I do not. However, if I was looking for such a thing, I would begin with Doug Price at Wisconsin.
  3. Are you excepting identified human data sources at this time to add to your database?
    We're happy to do analyses.
  4. Do you except private samples for Strontium Isotope Analysis?
    Absolutely. We can make recommendations about what to analyze the more we know about the question to be answered.
  5. What is the cost to have a private sample tested?
    $75 a sample assuming we do all the work.

Please let me know if you need any additional information.
Response #2 Dr. Kelly Knudson Arizona State University

Dear Ms. Smith,
Thanks for your interest in strontium isotope analysis. Unfortunately,
it is not always very helpful for modern populations. This is because
the strontium isotope signature in human bones and tooth enamel comes
from the food you eat. If you eat food from the region where you were
living, you will have the local geologic strontium isotope signature in
your bones and teeth. However, most people now eat foods that were grown
in a wide variety of geologic regions, so their strontium isotope
signatures are a mixture of many different regions and can't be used to
track mobility or movement between different geologic zones.

We don't have a strontium isotope database though we are looking into setting one up at ASU in the next couple of years. Labs charge $200-500 per sample for strontium isotope analysis. The geologic literature in the United States would be the place to look for regional strontium isotope signatures. I
work mostly in South America, so I don't know as much about the
signatures in the United States.

Hope this helps!

Wow, Yaya, interesting research. Do you think that we can get anyone interested in paying for the costs of obtaining the samples and of having them tested? (BTW, the costs of having them tested seems more than reasonable).

If Hollow would contact jreidel@cinci.rr.com I bet he would be interested in possibly paying for strontium isotope analysis.

Dr. Drew Coleman is located at The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. His email address is dcoleman@unc.edu

I have his permission to post this information for Law Enforcement or anyone needing analysis done.

Congratulations Hollow on your possible match :) :clap:

PS... DNA might be an easier way to go. But I would definitely contact jreidel@cinci.rr.com and tell him of the possible match.

Man found dead with poetry books and a man that liked poetry sure seems like something that matches :) I WOnder how many people staged their death by faking a jump off that bridge over the years...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back