Identified! PA - Berks Co., 2 WhtFems, photos in hangar, 1968-69 - Martha & Sandra Stiver

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
... 1967 Expo organizers boasted about the event being the "first World Fair where everything is done by computers". No doubt there was a bit of hype in that statement but one must take into account that most of the Fair's themes were futuristic in essence and that even in 1967 computerized records were not that exceptional ....

It was this very theme that the Firesign Theater lampooned in their popular 1960's album titled, "I Think We're All Bozos on This Bus".

You do make a very good point, however, about these girls possibly being in an Expo 67 data base. It is very likely that they were there.

There are at least two other threads in Cold Cases in which such a possible link might be made. A girl disappeared in Spokane just after the 1974 Worlds Fair.

Also, in 2000, the body of an unidentified girl was found in Clinton, Maryland. She was wearing a 1997 Special Olympics T Shirt. I tried to contact someone on the Special Olympics Committee who had been connected with those events in Connecticut. I thought that they mush have a data base with the names of competitors and helpers, but I had no luck locating anyone who might help.

It was this very theme that the Firesign Theater lampooned in their popular 1960's album titled, "I Think We're All Bozos on This Bus".

You do make a very good point, however, about these girls possibly being in an Expo 67 data base. It is very likely that they were there.

Well, it's very likely that the girl featured on the Expo picture at least had been there since those pictures with the Expo logo were only used for the passport. I don't think however that someone had to physically be in Montreal in order to have those photos taken and obtain the passport, it was probably done through authorized travel agencies and such who then forwarded the paperwork and the fees collected (minus their commission I assume) to Expo HQ's. Nowadays ticketing agencies would likely keep records of such transactions and maybe they even did back then but after 40 years I doubt anything would remain other than what the Expo or whoever handles its archives has.

There are at least two other threads in Cold Cases in which such a possible link might be made. A girl disappeared in Spokane just after the 1974 Worlds Fair.

Is there any evidence that she attended? I would imagine that World Fairs held after 1967 all had these passport type passes and were more or less computerized so as to no appear as being antiquated in comparison. These events are always compared with one another by the media so the pressure for innovation is a strong incentive.

Also, in 2000, the body of an unidentified girl was found in Clinton, Maryland. She was wearing a 1997 Special Olympics T Shirt. I tried to contact someone on the Special Olympics Committee who had been connected with those events in Connecticut. I thought that they mush have a data base with the names of competitors and helpers, but I had no luck locating anyone who might help.

That's a bit strange. Are the Special Olympics linked in some way to the IOC? Unfortunately if that's the case it might not lead anywhere considering the IOC's notorious propensity for paranoid secrecy.

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/expo/053302_e.html

This is the link I found a while ago.

I don't think that picture is related that exact time these girls were there, I think that picture was from something that happened later on in that area.

I wonder if these girls are the same missing from Lake Michigan ?
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/384dfin.html
Renee Bruhl

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/656dfin.html
Ann Miller
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/662dfin.html
Patricia Blough

They are missing from Indiana . This is a long story.

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/expo/053302_e.html

This is the link I found a while ago.

I don't think that picture is related that exact time these girls were there, I think that picture was from something that happened later on in that area.

Expo67 was held between April and October of 1967, the murders took place 1 or 2 years later. All that we know is that the picture itself dates from 1967, we were not implying that the murders had taken place during that year. That photo was a souvenir either carried by someone who had attended the Expo in 1967, or had received it from someone who had been to Montreal during the Expo. Whether or not the young woman on the picture was one of the victims is not known but LE thinks that ID'ing the girl on the photo could help the investigation. The discussion about Expo67 was simply about whether or not knowing that the girl on the picture had attended the event could help in determining who she was.

Unidentified White Female

• The victim was discovered on August 22, 1968 at State Route 82, Caernarvon Township, Berks County, Pennsylvania.
  • Estimated Date of Death: August 14, 1968
  • Cause of Death: Multiple gunshot wounds. 5 shots to the chest and abdomen, one to the left temple.
  • Extensive facial decomposition
Vital Statistics

• Estimated age: Initial estimate was that she was 15-20 years old, however, when doctors examined calcium formations in the bone joints, it was decided that she may have been as old as 30.
  • Approximate Height and Weight: 5'3"; 125 - 130 lbs.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown hair with reddish tint; unknown eyecolor. No scars or tattoos.
  • Clothing: Black Nehru-type blouse with zipper down the back, black bra - 36B, nylon stockings, white girdle, Nico brand white sandals made in Italy, size M8. No slacks or skirt found.
  • Jewelry: Bronze, four-way, religious medal on a heavy, endless chain. The medal depicted the crucifix on the front. On the back was the inscription: "I am a Catholic. In case of emergency, call me a priest". She was also wearing a sterling identification-type bracelet with a flexible band on her left wrist. There was no inscription on the ID bracelet.
  • Dentals: Available. There are amalgam fillings present.
  • Fingerprints: Available
  • DNA: Not available
Case History
The victim was located at State Route 82, Caernarvon Township, Berks County, near the Chester/Berks county line on August 22, 1968.
She died of multiple gunshot wounds. 22-caliber short bullets were removed from the body.
Authorities believe this case may be related to 485UFPA.
The photographs below were found in August 1969, in an abandoned hangar, which police believe was used as a hangout for area motorcycle gangs. The girls in the photos have never been identified. Police have information indicating that these photos could be instrumental in identifying the two victims.

[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Rosetta Merrill Killman Beck
Missing since the summer of 1966 from Oklahoma
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics
  • Date Of Birth: 1946 - 1947
  • Age at Time of Disappearance: 19 - 20 years old
  • AKA: Merrill
  • Fingerprints: Not Available
  • Dentals: Not Available

Circumstances of Disappearance
Beck was last seen in Oklahoma in the summer of 1966. At the time, she was living in one of the central Oklahoma counties of
Pottawatomie, Oklahoma or Lincoln County.
The circumstances surrounding Beck's disappearance is unclear.
Beck was born in Bakersfield, California and lived in that area for much of her childhood. While young, she and her family moved to western Oklahoma, near Chickasha. In 1963, she married, and the couple had a son in 1965. According to Beck's husband and his family, she ran off with another man, leaving her husband and 1 1/2 yr old baby. Her husband filed for divorce in the summer of 1967.
One story says she left with a hispanic male with the nickname of "Sunshine." Another says the man was named Guy Baker from Prague, Oklahoma. Two other possibilities are she ran off with a motorcycle gang, or a "van full of hippies."
"Merrill" liked to fix her hair, to sing, and she liked rock and roll music. She was outwardly loving and affectionate over her baby at the time of her disappearance.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Lincoln County Sheriff's Office
Sheriff A.T. Brixey
405-258-1101
NCIC Number:
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case. Source Information:
Rosetta "Merrill" Killman Beck

Merriel was my aunt but disappeared shortly before I was born. To date, we still have not found her. I just wanted to let people know that her son and I are working with the FBI missing persons group. We're in the process of getting Merriel's son and brother's dna into CODIS. Hopefully, there will be a match.

Merriel was my aunt but disappeared shortly before I was born. To date, we still have not found her. I just wanted to let people know that her son and I are working with the FBI missing persons group. We're in the process of getting Merriel's son and brother's dna into CODIS. Hopefully, there will be a match.

Welcome to WS, my friend.

I'm so sorry your family has been living with this mystery for all of these years. My prayers go out to you all especially her son.

I have a question about your Aunts husband. Was he cleared as a suspect? Did he ever give more info than "She ran off"? What does the family think happened to her?

There was no police investigation into her disappearance. When we filed a missing person report 2-3 years ago, the sheriff told us to "bring him a bone." I suppose he didn't have the resources to investigate a 40 year missing person.

Her husband (in central Oklahoma) told me that he received a call from Merriel's grandmother (western Oklahoma) telling him that Merriel and a man (probably Guy Baker) dropped off the boy, and he better come and get him. He did. Merriel's grandmother and mother are deceased. I have not found any other family member that can verify this. My uncle does believe that she is dead - likely killed by the man.

For many years, the families believed that she probably "ran off." After all, it was the time of hippies, free love, etc. etc. Now, the family believes that she is dead. No one knows what to think or believe happened to her. I don't believe that her husband (my father's brother) killed her, but I believe that she is dead and has been dead since the summer of 1966.

While looking at this case on the Doe Network, it notes that it may be related to case #447UFPA. If you look at the shoes they seem to be the same. I wonder if the two women knew each other?

Well, if she did run away with a motorcycle gang, the location of the unidentified body would make sense. The Philly area is the home of a lot of motorcycle gang activity(Warlocks/Pagans). Is there any info on Guy Baker and whether he had any connections with motorcycle gangs?

There are two girls missing from Philadelphia who are being looked at as possible matches to 447UFPA and 485UFPA. I have a feeling a local man was the one behind these two murders.

Bumping...I missed the 40th Anniversary for 447UFPA. My grandmother just passed away a couple weeks ago.

We believe that we found her - alive. She changed her name and has been living in a different state for the last 42 years. In the last 4-5 days, we've been communicating with her daughter.

There are simply too many similarities to be a coincidence, but there is always a possibility that she is not the correct person. Doubtful, because the daughter sent me an old picture of her mother. I submitted it to four of Merriel's family members; there were four positive identifications. There were other substantial similarities as well. If necessary, we can try DNA. We hope in the end that we have truly solved our mystery.

For those of you who wondered how we did this - the Internet, specificially genealogy connections, Intelius.com, and whole lot of timing and luck.

My cousin (Merriel' son) and I are going to make a trip to see the daughter this weekend. Say a prayer for our semi-reunion this weekend.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

Yes, we did make a positive ID, and Merriel confirmed our findings. She and her son have talked on the phone numerous times and had a face-to-face reunion on 9/20/08. They had such a warm and loving visit. Her son said it was like there were zero years missing between them. This has been an amazing few weeks.

Why did she leave? She hasn't told her son yet, but we hope that someday she will. It is obviously a very emotional subject for her. But, if he can accept her without exception, then who am I to pass judgment.

Vernon and Merriel's other family are so happy that she alive and well. We all pray that they will make many wonderful memories together.

Best wishes to all of you in your searches. I wish you well.

Congratulations! This is such a wonderful outcome and I am it gives great hope to those who still believe their missing loved one to be alive. It is so nice to hear that mother and son can establish a relationship after all this time. I wish all of you the best.

I went to Classmates to find a photo of Linda Kay Britton, who is listed in NamUs with a no-photo casefile.

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/10968/0

I found her sophomore photo in the 1961 Cambridge (OH) High School yearbook. The photo was taken 2-3 years prior to her disappearance.

2920166300045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

If you add six years to her age, introduce her to the "wrong crowd", and give her a generous dollop of lipstick and makeup, I can see how she might look like this girl.

2304686740045078242S425x425Q851.jpg
2920166300045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

Their noses are spot-on identical. They both have very high cheekbones.

The unidentifed girl's lips are clearly the product of exaggerated application of lipstick.

The one thing that bothers me is the unidentified girl's bridge of the nose, which looks almost masculine. I suspect that it is shadows though, as very few young girls have such a hooded brow.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sabrina Sleuth
Back