PA PA - Betsy Aardsma, 22, murdered in Pattee Library, Penn State, 29 Nov 1969

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly, the shrine was not to remember Betsy, but to remind everyone he got away with murder.

Good point here. He made the shrine to "publicize" the killing by publicizing the memory of the victim -- the only thing he could do without revealing HIS identity to grab the spotlight.

What if the shrine was a way to try to dramatize the case? What if this guy was intending at some point on revealing himself -- perhaps after his death, through a confession or revelation letter -- in order to ultimately show up everyone and leave people talking?

By continually "bumping" her murder's memory like we do posts on the forum, he could have more meat to the case when he eventually came forward.

I was thinking of running an ad to publicize the case...Does anyone think it would be worth the $$$?

I was thinking of running an ad to publicize the case...Does anyone think it would be worth the $$$?

Well, since it's something you are very serious about and believe in strongly, I would say it would be worth the money. You've done an awful lot of work on this and it would seem like a logical step to me, anything to get the word out there!

If you don't mind me asking, where were you thinking of placing the ad?

I agree with you, the shrine is perplexing because it kind of seems like a memorial to the victim, but yet it is obviously something that was done for the killer's benefit.

What was the purpose of the Son of Sam letter, just to get attention, or...? It's been awhile since I've read about the Son of Sam murders.
Theres debate about letter being written by Berkowitz or an accompliss but it was definately written to highlight the murders.
Its neither here nor there but I dont beleive Berkowitz was the only shooter in that case.
But yeah I kind of go back and forth on the shrine...its almost like were supposed to believe it was for her benefit.
I wonder how much the killer has enjoyed the urban legend aspect of the murder over the years?
Its obvious that for whatever reason he didnt want it to fade from public consciencness.
Which is fine.We dont either.
I want there to be a resurgence of awareness of the case when nice 2008 vintage photos of her killer in handcuffs are on the front page.
Clip those out and make a new shrine for Betsy:)

Well, since it's something you are very serious about and believe in strongly, I would say it would be worth the money. You've done an awful lot of work on this and it would seem like a logical step to me, anything to get the word out there!

If you don't mind me asking, where were you thinking of placing the ad?

My thought was to put something in the PSU Alumni magazine, to reach possible alumni association members who were there at the time.

The problem is it's so darn expensive. $650 for one issue for 1/12 of a page, and $3300 for 6 issues, 1/12 of a page.

It's almost a waste to run it once because like any ad, you have people who maybe didn't read the June issue, but caught July, and missed it. But $3300 is like a down payment on a car...Or a good step towards paying a bunch of other bills.

Theres debate about letter being written by Berkowitz or an accompliss but it was definately written to highlight the murders.
Its neither here nor there but I dont beleive Berkowitz was the only shooter in that case.
But yeah I kind of go back and forth on the shrine...its almost like were supposed to believe it was for her benefit.
I wonder how much the killer has enjoyed the urban legend aspect of the murder over the years?
Its obvious that for whatever reason he didnt want it to fade from public consciencness.
Which is fine.We dont either.
I want there to be a resurgence of awareness of the case when nice 2008 vintage photos of her killer in handcuffs are on the front page.
Clip those out and make a new shrine for Betsy:)

That's the goal I'm working towards. :)

I agree with you, I don't believe he wanted it to be forgotten. I'd love to know what his reasons for that are.

The most satisfying thing, really the only possible satisfaction in this case, would be for myself or someone in law enforcement to be able to look this guy in the eye once he's been caught and just ask: Why?

It won't change anything, it won't bring Betsy back, but I'd just really, really like to know.

Maybe if someone in an official capacity, such as a cold case officer or other police official requested an ad they could reduce the rice. It seem it's in everybody's best interest to solve this.

Maybe if someone in an official capacity, such as a cold case officer or other police official requested an ad they could reduce the rice. It seem it's in everybody's best interest to solve this.

I asked them since I am not really doing this for any kind of profit and I'm not selling anything, if there is a non-profit rate, but unfortunately there is not.

Kind of a bummer.

That's the goal I'm working towards. :)

I agree with you, I don't believe he wanted it to be forgotten. I'd love to know what his reasons for that are.

The most satisfying thing, really the only possible satisfaction in this case, would be for myself or someone in law enforcement to be able to look this guy in the eye once he's been caught and just ask: Why?

It won't change anything, it won't bring Betsy back, but I'd just really, really like to know.
I truly hope you get to do just that.:)

I guess I'm negative on a prosecution in Betsy's murder, although finding a logical conclusion might be nearly as good. If it was a lone killer, short of a confession, I don't know if LE could find enough evidence to prosecute. The case is nearly 40 years old, memories have faded, and people have died. No one saw the killer, who is, most likely, around 60 years oldby now. I think there are people who take secrets to their graves, and Betsy's killer may be one of them.

I guess I'm negative on a prosecution in Betsy's murder, although finding a logical conclusion might be nearly as good. If it was a lone killer, short of a confession, I don't know if LE could find enough evidence to prosecute. The case is nearly 40 years old, memories have faded, and people have died. No one saw the killer, who is, most likely, around 60 years old. I think there are people who take secrets to their graves, and Betsy's killer may be one of them.

I don't think you're negative at all -- I think like me you are realistic. The odds of them being able to prosecute without the murder weapon and without a witness are unlikely. However, stranger cases have been prosecuted.

Just saw one on Dateline the other night where a guy was convicted of a murder of a 14-year-old which had originally been ruled a natural death, simply because his mom on her deathbed tipped police that she always thought her son was involved, and he confessed that he was out on the golf course with her that night. He never confessed to the murder, mind you, just that he was present.

The police had discarded most of the original evidence -- no clothing, no DNA, no nothing.

It was successfully prosecuted 20 years after the fact and he was convicted on the simple fact that he told police "Yes, I was there with her that night."

It was a real screw-up by the police from the start -- the girl had been dragged and hastily covered with some branches and twigs, her clothes were ripped, and the coroner ruled that she had died of a genetic heart condition -- and, of course, didn't want to inconvenience the golf course, so she dragged herself off the course and buried herself in brush in the woods. :waitasec:

The strength of the mother's tip was enough to get police to exhume the body, do a new autopsy, etc., etc., and get the ball rolling. But no one saw it.

So I keep holding hope that the police in this case -- who have partial prints, who may have DNA, who have hundreds of interviews on file, etc., might have enough to prosecute, or get a confession from the right suspect under the right circumstances.

Boy the ad is awfully expensive. I wish there was a way to do a mass email. I work at a University in another state and I am sure PSU would not provide any email addresses. Also bet they wouldn't do an article about this in the alumni publication. They are probably glad to forget it.

Even though a lot of witnesses etc are probably no longer local - would a local paper be willing to do an article? It would seem at least as late as the 90's someone local was still thinking about this case. i.e the shrine. Well I suppose whoever left the shrine was local - but really they didn't have to be. They could have made a special trip to the area. So - maybe that isn't such a great idea after all.

Boy the ad is awfully expensive. I wish there was a way to do a mass email. I work at a University in another state and I am sure PSU would not provide any email addresses. Also bet they wouldn't do an article about this in the alumni publication. They are probably glad to forget it.

Even though a lot of witnesses etc are probably no longer local - would a local paper be willing to do an article? It would seem at least as late as the 90's someone local was still thinking about this case. i.e the shrine. Well I suppose whoever left the shrine was local - but really they didn't have to be. They could have made a special trip to the area. So - maybe that isn't such a great idea after all.

The thing with the mass email is, it's likely NOT to reach the target market, as the people who were there and have information are in the 60+ age range, and may no longer have a college-provided email, or may not have up to date email addresses with the college.

The alumni mag did say they had always planned to do a 40th anniversary article -- but I hope to have done something significant to crack this by next Thanksgiving '09. So that's a bit late.

The local paper has expressed interest in doing an article but the crime beat guy there is a bit of a bluffer -- he's known for saying "Let me get back to you" and then not getting back.

Holland Sentinel did an article on 5/24/08 as mentioned, they are the first newspaper that has come through and mentioned the case.

The Daily Collegian was supposed to do something about the site and the case as well but I was never contacted by anyone as they had promised to do.

I need to take the time to submit a packet to America's Most Wanted or a similar venue in order to have them consider the case. I think that's the best way to reach a national audience at minimal cost out of my pocket.

That, or start asking for donations on the site, which just seems tacky.

:clap::clap: kline, I love the way your mind works!!

littlehorn:blowkiss:, I admire you so much for what you are doing. You are putting your heart and soul into Betsy's case.

What about getting Betsy's story included in a true crime magazine? (Do they still publish those? lol. I used to read my Mom's all the time when I was young)

littlehorn:blowkiss:, I admire you so much for what you are doing. You are putting your heart and soul into Betsy's case.

What about getting Betsy's story included in a true crime magazine? (Do they still publish those? lol. I used to read my Mom's all the time when I was young)

Thank you, I appreciate it. This is one of the few forums where Betsy's case has received more than just a passing glance. Most have gotten 3-5 posts and then people have moved on to the next great criminal debauchery.

I don't know if they still publish true crime mags or not. I remember reading Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine as a kid, and although it's NOT a true crime mag, I must admit I haven't seen it around in some time.

The biggest problem is apathy. Most of the people I have contacted about this have done nothing. Even the Robert Resslers, other criminal profilers, etc., etc., have not even responded to my emails. Most of the newspapers, radio shows, etc., that I have contacted have not done anything, either.

The only real coverage it has received is from the Holland Sentinel, which I appreciate.

It seems like apathy is what has allowed Betsy's killer to remain free as long as he has.

I will keep working on it though as long as I feel there is a chance for justice.

Right now, I have to deal with some snapping turtle eggs I found. I was helping a male turtle cross the road on my way home past the lake. A fisherman told me there was a larger turtle hit right up the road.

As I drove by I noticed that she'd been cut in half by the car that hit her and her eggs were laying out. Some were still in her uterine tube so I cut it open and removed them. I have 8-9 snapping turtle eggs now in a Dunkin Donuts cup which I need to read about and see if I can incubate them, or if I should give them to a naturalist at the local park.

How do I get into this stuff?

Because you care. And thank God. That is why you are doing what you are for Betsy. It is why so many here keep coming back - and doing what they do. Because they care. And it is good to see. Thanks to all who do all they can for the victims and the families.

My thought was to put something in the PSU Alumni magazine, to reach possible alumni association members who were there at the time.

The problem is it's so darn expensive. $650 for one issue for 1/12 of a page, and $3300 for 6 issues, 1/12 of a page.

It's almost a waste to run it once because like any ad, you have people who maybe didn't read the June issue, but caught July, and missed it. But $3300 is like a down payment on a car...Or a good step towards paying a bunch of other bills.

Wow...that is high...I was wondering if you were going to put the ad in a PSU publication. I think that would be best. One good thing is that it would appear in 6 issues. It just depends, though...I know you want to get some answers about this very badly, but $3300 is a LOT of money!

What did you do with the turtle eggs? That was nice of you to rescue the poor things...I probably would have contacted the naturalist at the park to see what he or she said about it. :)

:clap::clap: kline, I love the way your mind works!!

What about getting Betsy's story included in a true crime magazine? (Do they still publish those? lol. I used to read my Mom's all the time when I was young)[/quote]

That's a good idea, Talisman..I don't know if they still publish them either. I was thinking I saw some on eBay about a year ago that were pretty recent but I can't remember for sure.

Wow...that is high...I was wondering if you were going to put the ad in a PSU publication. I think that would be best. One good thing is that it would appear in 6 issues. It just depends, though...I know you want to get some answers about this very badly, but $3300 is a LOT of money!

What did you do with the turtle eggs? That was nice of you to rescue the poor things...I probably would have contacted the naturalist at the park to see what he or she said about it. :)

The biggest thing I'm afraid is that if I put an ad in the PSU alumni mag, I may just reach people who have already given the information that they had -- which IS useful, since we can't see the police file -- but at the same time, they may not have anything pertaining to the killer.

I'm starting to believe that the killer was not a student...

I brought the eggs home and I read online how to make a simple incubator for them with some potting soil, sand, and gravel. I placed the eggs in the incubator and took them to the local County Park, where the naturalist took them. They're going to try to hatch them and will also put them on display for Reptile Week in July.

I saw another snapper hit on the way home today. It's a shame. How reckless and fast do you have to be going to hit a turtle? IT'S NOT LIKE THEY DART OUT IN FRONT OF YOU!
:mad::bang:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member